September 12, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4506  4507  4508

1. Reuters: IMF expert upbeat on Russia, hopeful on Ukraine.
2. "ransitions Online: Jen Tracy, OUR TAKE: Romancing the Stone.
A TOL editorial on the charming Mr. Putin.
3. Reuters: Power grid failure shuts Russian nuclear plants.
4. AFP: Vodka war shakes, stirs Russia.
5. gazeta.ru: The Price To Pay For Berezovsky's Shares.
6. David Jones: Krasnoyarsk 26.
7. Reuters: OPEC output rise seen having little Russian impact.
8. Moscow Times: Face the Nation: Putin and the Kursk Families.
(Transcript of meeting)

9. Trud: Vyacheslav Nikonov, TIME FOR IMPROVING THE STATE.
10. Washington Post: Sharon LaFraniere, Russian Media Crackdown
Nothing New for Regions.

11. Wall Street Journal: Guy Chazan, Chechnya, Kursk Debacles
Prompt Russia to Slash Military by 800,000.]

IMF expert upbeat on Russia, hopeful on Ukraine

WASHINGTON, Sept 11 (Reuters) - A drive toward a workable, law-based society
and economy is prompting new optimism about Russia, a senior official from
the International Monetary Fund said on Monday.

John Odling-Smee, responsible for ties between the IMF and countries of the
former Soviet Union, also said he hoped Ukraine would soon be able to finish
work on a reform program which the IMF could back with cash.

Speaking to an IMF publication, IMF Survey, he said countries across the
region needed to build opportunities for investment, liberalize their
financial systems, protect property rights and curb corruption.

"We have been very concerned about Russia's fiscal difficulties, which at
least up to last year came about largely because enterprises were not willing
to pay the full amount of tax and the government did not have the authority
to extract the tax from them," he said.

"But...I think there are grounds for optimism, including the quality of
debate within Russia in the last six or 12 months about what is needed.

"I've been very impressed with the consistent and clear message coming from
the current Russian leadership that they have to behave like a civilized
country, which is a special expression used in Russia that means a law-based
society and economy."

Odling-Smee said reforms had been slow in Russia's neighbor Ukraine, but the
authorities had recently made good progress on reforms.

"I am hopeful they can complete a structural reform package that would really
signify a break with the past and would ... show that Ukraine was now joining
the countries that are moving toward a market economy at a decent pace," he
said. "If that is the case, I expect that the IMF would resume funding."

The IMF halted its latest loan to Ukraine last year amid doubts on reforms
and after an independent audit found that the Ukrainians misled the fund
about reserve levels.

Ukraine last month repaid $100 million of IMF money ahead of time and agreed
that future IMF cash would be subject to tight controls.

Odling-Smee said the misreporting found in Ukraine and elsewhere might simply
be continuing a Soviet-era tradition of not telling the center about what was
going on. There was no evidence that countries had misappropriated IMF cash.

"No evidence has been found so far of any misappropriation of IMF cash in the
sense of IMF money falling into the wrong hands," he said.