September 7, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4496  4497

1. AP: Gorbachev Chides Putin on Submarine.
2. Moscow Times: New Yeltsin Memoirs.
3. Moscow Times: Yevgenia Albats, Berezovsky the Victim of His Own
Designs.

4. Reuters: Putin offers host talks on halting arms in space.
5. BBC MONITORING: POLITICAL ANALYST V.NIKONOV INTERVIEWED ABOUT
RUSSIAN FOREIGN POLICY UNDER PUTIN.

6. Mark Ames: Re:MT/Free Press.
7. PRESIDENT VLADIMIR V. PUTIN's ADDRESS TO THE UN MILLENNIUM SUMMIT.
8. State Department: Talbott Briefing on Clinton-Putin Meeting in
New York.

9. BBC MONITORING: DAILY DESCRIBES MOSCOW TV BROADCASTING SITUATION.
10. State Department: 2000 Annual Report on International Religious
Freedom: Russia.]

Gorbachev Chides Putin on Submarine
September 6, 2000
By GERALD NADLER

NEW YORK (AP) - Mikhail S. Gorbachev, the man who set the Soviet Union on the
road to democracy, said Wednesday that Russian President Vladimir Putin has
made ``mistakes of style'' but is a good leader who deserves his people's
support.

Among Putin's mistakes, Gorbachev said, was waiting four days to inform the
Russian public of the Kursk submarine tragedy, and failing to interrupt his
vacation until a week after the sea disaster that killed all 118 seamen
aboard the most modern submarine in the Russian fleet.

Gorbachev, who himself was criticized for waiting several days before
commenting on the explosion at the Chernobyl nuclear power station April 26,
1986, said Putin's initial response to the Kursk's sinking was 'inadequate.''

``He made a mistake,'' Gorbachev said.

Speaking to a small group of reporters, he said the loss of the Kursk was
part of an ``acute August crisis'' that also included a bombing at Moscow's
Pushkin Square that killed 12 people and a fire that roared through Moscow's
giant TV tower, leaving three people dead.

``The cause of the crisis was that the authorities showed a lack of
understanding of the need for informing the people - of glasnost,'' said
Gorbachev, using the Russian word for ``openness'' that characterized his six
years as the last Soviet communist president.

Gorbachev said that in the first hours after the Kursk tragedy became known
``there was an attempt to conceal the truth.'' Then, he said, ``the president
was misled'' so that he did not know the whole story.

Gorbachev also said Putin has not done enough to explain to the people his
economic policies and his legislative proposals that will make governors the
dominant leaders in Russia's regions.

``People are concerned that economic problems will be solved at their
expense,'' Gorbachev said.

But Gorbachev, who was in New York to launch a Foundation for the Development
of Democracy and World Peace, said Putin's errors were ``mostly mistakes of
style'' and that the leader was sensitive to criticism and ``recovered
quickly.''

``We need to support the president ... despite the mistakes,'' Gorbachev
said.

Gorbachev, who stepped down as president on Dec. 25, 1991, when the Soviet
Union broke up, said he had met with Putin and told him of his errors. An
aide to Gorbachev said the former president had seen Putin several times,
with one meeting lasting three hours.

Gorbachev praised the Russian media for insisting that authorities give the
facts about the crippled submarine, but complained that Western news coverage
``smacked of the Cold War.''

Gorbachev, 69, won the Nobel Peace Prize for his policies that effectively
ended the Cold War. He was succeeded by Boris Yeltsin, who stepped down at
the end of 1999 and was replaced by Putin.

Moscow Times
September 7, 2000
IN BRIEF: New Yeltsin Memoirs

MOSCOW -- Former President Boris Yeltsin's latest memoirs, "Midnight
Diaries," are scheduled to be published in October in the United States.

The book, published by PublicAffairs publishers and scheduled for an initial
print run of 75,000 copies, is adapted by Yeltsin's former chief of staff,
Valentin Yumashev, from a series of interviews conducted soon after Yeltsin's
resignation on New Year's Eve.

According to the PublicAffairs web site, the book will be also published in
France, Germany, the Netherlands and Britain. However, the simultaneous
Russian edition, which was announced earlier, may be delayed, Moskovsky
Komsomolets daily reported Wednesday.

The book is expected to provide a personal account of the decision-making
about Chechnya; the chain of prime ministers hired and fired by Yeltsin
during his last years as president; and his resignation.

Moscow Times
September 7, 2000
POWER PLAY: Berezovsky the Victim of His Own Designs
By Yevgenia Albats

It's the talk of the day: Boris Berezovsky, in responding to pressure from
the Kremlin, has stated in a letter that he is giving up the jewel in his
crown: his shares in ORT, the nation's most widely watched TV network, in
favor of journalists and representatives of the creative intelligentsia.

With the exception of a few sentences, the letter Berezovsky addressed to
President Vladimir Putin sounds as if it was written back in the late 1980s
by none other than Andrei Sakharov. And, if not for the author's signature, I
would not think twice of putting my own name under the text. But I will not f
because it was written by a person whose four-year involvement in Kremlin
politics led to the very situation Berezovsky now decries.

I wouldn't even doubt the sincerity of the oligarch's concerns. But I don't
trust his purposes.

For the only rationale behind many of Berezovsky's adventures f both public
and private f has been self-enrichment at the expense of subverting all noble
desires that he presumably is fighting for now. He often was quick to cite
Henry Ford's famous maxim, "What is good for Ford is good for America." But
Berezovsky failed to learn from Ford's biography that it took the U.S.
automaker years of investing his own capital, brains and private life to
achieve what he did at the end of the road.

No, Berezovsky was never eager to invest. His know-how was in "management
privatization" i.e. buying managers f whether in the areas of cars, oil or
media f who controlled the cash flows of companies rather than the companies
as such.

That's how Berezovsky created his media empire. Actually, the word "created"
here is inappropriate. Berezovsky, unlike Vladimir Gusinsky, the founder of
NTV and another Kremlin opponent, has never created anything f any business f
except sophisticated and obscure financial schemes.

Berezovsky used to call himself a businessman; now he says he's a politician.
But he is neither, nor is he a political lobbyist whose moneymaking
capabilities were based largely on his self-promoting image as the one who
ran both the Kremlin and the government.

Now, having been distanced from the Kremlin, Berezovsky is losing his main
business. His attempt to claim his right and might after Vladimir Putin
assumed the presidency has gone unnoticed. Berezovsky was shown that he
doesn't hold a monopoly on using people. So now he is left with nothing but
to bargain for at least some insurance from the Kremlin, to protect himself
from possibly violent measures against him. And the only personal insurance
he has left are journalists loyal to him who wouldn't let those measures be
conducted in secret.

But Berezovsky may lose out there, too f because for everyone with big money,
there are those with even bigger money. And those who have served one master
may choose another. Consider this: Two years ago, Mikhail Leontiev, the
popular television personality, used to condemn Berezovsky on the television
channel controlled by Moscow Mayor Yury Luzhkov. A year ago, Leontiev started
criticizing Luzhkov on the TV channel owned by Berezovsky. Now Leontiev is
condemning both men and defending Putin in many media sources, including the
newspaper Vedomosti, which is owned by Independent Media.

Once again, Berezovsky has proved that he is good at short-term tactics but
no good at strategic thinking. He is the victim of his own designs. Of
course, the Kremlin is no smarter; if it were, it would do its best to
recruit Berezovsky as the leader of the "constructive opposition" f and hence
compromise in public opinion the idea of democratic opposition for years to
come.

Yevgenia Albats is an independent journalist based in Moscow.

Putin offers host talks on halting arms in space
By Ron Popeski

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin took a swipe
Wednesday at U.S. proposals for anti-missile defenses and offered to host an
international conference next year on preventing the militarization of space.

President Clinton, who met Putin after both spoke at the U.N. Millennium
Summit, told the Kremlin leader he hoped his decision to put off a U.S.
national missile defense system would give both countries time to resolve
their row over it.

But Deputy Secretary of State Stobe Talbott said formal talks to press on
with reductions in long-range missiles depended on Russia agreeing to
discuss strategic defense -- generally assumed to mean anti-missile defense
systems.

In a low-key address to more than 150 leaders gathered at the summit, Putin
said proposals to use space for military purposes were ``particularly
alarming.''

Moscow, he said, would be a natural choice to discuss such issues in 2001 --
40 years after Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin became the first the first man
in space on April 12, 1961.

``We are suggesting the organization on that date under the aegis of the
United Nations of an international conference on the prevention of the
militarization of outer space,'' Putin said. ``If you, distinguished
colleagues, agree, then the place for holding that conference could be
Moscow.''

Just before their talks later in the morning at a luxury hotel, Clinton said
a cooperative spirit was needed.

``We have worked together on nuclear issues very closely...,'' he said,
adding:

``The decision I made last week on missile defense will create an opportunity
for President Putin and the next American president to reach a common
position and I hope they can because it is very important that we continue to
work together.''

Clinton last week announced that owing to technology difficulties and
international concerns, he had decided not to take steps to begin deployment
of a national missile defense.

The presidents signed a joint declaration on strategic stability pledging to
uphold the principles of disarmament pacts and pledging measures to implement
them more quickly.

RUSSIA WANTS FASTER ACTION ON DISARMAMENT

Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov said Clinton's move last week made it
even more important to proceed more quickly.

``We therefore have a very favorable situation for constructive discussion of
all questions of strategic stability,'' he told reporters.

Talbott, however, sounded a more cautious note in Washington on the prospects
for talks -- particularly the START-3 agreement on further reductions to
long-range missiles. Formal talks on the proposed pact are already under way.

``Starting formal negotiations on START-3 is going to have to wait until
Russia is prepared to join us in formal negotiations on strategic defense,''
Talbott told reporters.

Russia, backed by China, has led opposition to the U.S. proposal to build a
national anti-missile shield on the grounds that it violates disarmament
tenets, particularly the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile treaty.

Both candidates in the U.S. presidential election, Vice-President Al Gore and
his Republican rival Texas Governor George W. Bush favor some form of missile
defense.

Although the issue has not been a major one, it is likely to remain on
political agendas, with U.S. officials seeing it as vital to guard against
missile strikes from ``rogue states.''

Some senior officials have expressed hope they can persuade Moscow to alter
the ABM treaty, upheld by Russia as the cornerstone of disarmament.

PUTIN CONFIDENT AFTER DIFFICULT MONTH

Putin looked confident in making his first address to the United Nations
after fending off a series of crises over the past month in Moscow, but he
steered clear of open polemics and kept emotion to a minimum.

After cultivating a tough image to win election last March, Putin has been
accused of a sluggish reaction to the sinking of a nuclear-powered submarine
with the loss of 118 crew.

He also had to contend with a lethal bomb explosion in the center of Moscow
and a fire which crippled Moscow's television tower, an important national
symbol.

Nuclear issues dominated much of the rest of Putin's address, with the
Kremlin leader stressing Russia's commitment to confine all use of enriched
uranium and plutonium to peaceful purposes.

BBC MONITORING
POLITICAL ANALYST V.NIKONOV INTERVIEWED ABOUT RUSSIAN FOREIGN POLICY UNDER
PUTIN
Source: NTV International, Moscow in Russian 1525 gmt 6 Sep 00

Vyacheslav Nikonov, president of the "Politics" foundation, gave a
15-minute interview in MTVNTI's "Hero of the Day" slot, which is no longer
presented by Svetlana Sorokina but by Andrey Norkin. The interview was
pegged to President Putin's attendance of the UN Millennium summit in New
York.

Nikonov observed that Russia's relations with the West had turned cold,
compared first of all with the early Yeltsin period when the aim of Russian
policy was to become like the West and part of the West "by next Thursday".
Now such an aim is not being set.

"It seems to me that the aim of Russia's foreign policy is now more
pragmatic and, if I were to order the geographic priorities of current
Russian foreign policy or describe them, then I would probably put
relations with the Commonwealth of Independent States in the first place,
first of all from the point of view of economic cooperation, and perhaps
now in the first place from the point of view of problems of security. In
second place, it seems to me, for Putin, come relations with the countries
of Western Europe, as our main foreign economic partner. It seems to me
that the Orient, the Asian giants and problems connected with the entire
Islamic arc of instability come in third place. Only after this comes the
USA. On the whole this has not been the case during the past decades
because in the Soviet Union, too, issues of Russian - Soviet at the time -
- American relations ranked undoubtedly higher."