August 20, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4466

1. AP: Vladimir Isachenkov, Endless Disasters Hitting Russia.
2. Reuters: Russian navy statement on likely fate of sub crew.
3. Jonas Bernstein: recent assessments of Vladimir Putin.
4. The Russia Journal: Andrei Piontkovsky, Kvashnin and the experts.
5. Interfax: AUTHORITIES PUT PRESSURE ON GAZPROM - NTV CHIEF.
6. The Russia Journal: Alexander Golts, Victim of ambition.
7. Moscow Times: Andrei Zolotov Jr., The Art of the Deal. (Interview with former Duma member and Communist millionaire Vladimir Semago)
8. Forbes: Paul Klebnikov, The Rise of an Oligarch. (Excerpt from book about Boris Berezovsky.)]

Endless Disasters Hitting Russia
August 20, 2000
By VLADIMIR ISACHENKOV

MOSCOW (AP) - The loss of a Russian nuclear submarine is just one more
catastrophe in a nation that has been transformed by years of decline and
stagnation from a superpower into a technological junkyard.

Disasters ranging from crashing airplanes to industrial accidents have become
commonplace in Russia, an increasingly poor country that can't afford to
purchase new equipment or maintain aging Soviet-era machinery. In industry
and the military, the problem has been compounded by carelessness, lack of
training and pilfering.

President Vladimir Putin describes the increasingly worn-out equipment as one
of the main obstacles to economic growth. ``Only 5 percent of our enterprises
are actively using modern technologies,'' Putin said at a recent meeting with
scientists.

Emergency Situations Minister Sergei Shoigu has repeatedly warned that Russia
faces disaster as everything from airplanes to elevators go without the
maintenance vital to keep aging machinery running safely. In their annual
forecast released in January - one which drew quick comparisons to
Nostradamus' darkest prophecies - Shoigu's experts predicted that the country
could face a steady string of technological disasters starting from fires,
collapsing buildings and breaking pipelines and ending with leaks of
radiation and poisonous chemicals.

Experts have warned that if the current shortage of funds for new equipment
and maintenance goes on, most of Russia's industrial equipment could be
unusable by 2007. Companies struggling to stay afloat and workers desperate
to get any kind of pay continue to use aging equipment that should have been
junked years ago, experts say.

``This danger is augmented by the popular neglect of safety rules in the run
for profit,'' said Marina Ryklina, a spokeswoman for the Emergency Situations
Ministry.

Unlike in Soviet times, when discipline and fear of punishment were stronger,
safety rules are commonly ignored in modern Russia. A string of plane crashes
were blamed on overloading after pilots accepted bribes to take extra cargo,
weighing down their aircraft.

Natural gas explosions have become commonplace in apartment buildings because
of a lack of maintenance. In rural areas, people hack holes into oil
pipelines to siphon fuel, often causing fires or explosions.

Hundreds of people are electrocuted every year while trying to pilfer
communication wires, electric cable and train and plane parts for sell as
scrap metal. Large areas are left without electricity after power lines are
looted.

Compounding the problem, many Russians say, is a tendency to minimize or
dismiss danger - a trait that is sometimes boasted of as a national
characteristic.

Thousands of people drown in Russia every summer, mostly men who swim when
drunk. Drownings in Russia and other ex-Soviet republics are up to 500
percent higher than in Western nations, according to officials.

The Russian military is a glaring example of the breakdown, experts say. Even
though the Kursk was one of the most modern vessels in the navy, its safety
systems apparently failed to work.

``Not a single rescue system functioned on this top-of the-range submarine,
so what can be said about the older ones?'' said Alexander Golts, a military
analyst for the weekly magazine Itogi.

Insisting it is still a world power, the navy refuses to scrap hundreds of
rusting Soviet-era ships and submarines even though there is no money for
maintenance. Navy officials admit that 70 percent of their ships need major
repairs, and scores of vessels simply sank because their hulls rusted out.

``Why should we keep a huge and expensive nuclear fleet if we are short of
funds to send it to sea for even three days?'' the daily newspaper
Nezavisimaya Gazeta said Friday. ``We must live in accordance with our means
and not turn the seamen into kamikaze when they go on an exercise.''

Low military wages have contributed to a steady decline of skill and morale.

Officers, who earn the equivalent of $100 a month when they get paid, have to
moonlight as gypsy cab drivers or security guards to feed their families.
Theft is endemic in the military, with servicemen stripping ships and planes
of parts and metal to sell for food and other necessities.

Earlier this year, four Russian sailors and a retired officer were arrested
on charges of stealing radioactive fuel from a nuclear submarine. And an
officer on another nuclear submarine stripped the vessel of a filtration unit
that controlled the air supply. The crew would have suffocated if the theft
hadn't been discovered in time.

TEXT-Russian navy statement on likely fate of sub crew

MOSCOW, Aug 19 (Reuters) - The Russian navy sounded the death knell on
Saturday for the 118 crew of a nuclear-powered submarine lying crippled on
the floor of the Arctic Barents Sea.

Following are the main quotes from a television statement by the head of the
navy's general staff, Mikhail Motsak, on the accident which crippled the
Kursk on August 12. The translation is by Reuters.

``It is the gravest disaster that I, as a sailor, have known in the history
of the submarine fleet.

Most likely the whole of the front section of the submarine has been flooded
and the staff in those sections died in the first minutes of the accident.

My assessment of the situation in the stern: after the accident, and we have
said it on many occasions, we heard the tapping of submarine personnel
following the rules of communication with a sunken vessel.

Moreover, the analysis of the tapping allows us to conclude that the crew in
the compartments in the stern were telling us that water was filtering into
their sections and they wanted us to provide air supply...

as water slowly filled the compartments in the stern the pressure inside
built up, inevitably reducing the life expectancy of the crew and affecting
their condition...

It is possible that the pressure inside the compartments is now very high.
There are pockets of air but in fact we have crossed the critical survival
threshold which we set for the crew according to our guidelines.

We've been crossing this threshold yesterday, today and maybe tomorrow. That
is how I see the situation.

Moreover, I want to say that the absence of any signals from the submarine
leads us to conclude that the critical point has been reached.

Hard as it is to say this, we will most likely have to say that our worst
expectations have come true. I think that the essence of the second stage of
the operation we are conducting...is to retrieve them, dead or alive, to be
able at least to give them their due on land.''