July 31th, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4432•    •

1. AFP: Russia must boost warships to remain world power: Putin.
2. The Russia Journal: Andrei Piontkovsky, A passionate crusader.
Putin’s position on Islamic extremism and the war in Chechnya.

3. AP: Russian Economy Grows 7 Percent.
4. Reuters: Putin says meeting big business eased tension.
5. Sarah C. Carey: re Thomas Graham- Power and Property/4414.
6. Vedomosti: PUTIN HAS HIS OWN VIEW OF A COMPROMISE. The Government's
plan of action up to the year 2002, which Mikhail Kasyanov signed on
July 28, was completely "cleaned and ironed out." Interview with
Economic Strategy Minister German Gref.

7. The Russia Journal: Andrei Denisov, Liberals offer Putin
agreement. Background and extracts of the “new social contract.”

8. Los Angeles Times: Lewis Segal, The Russians Are Back, The Russians
Are Back. A summer of strong performances proves that the Bolshoi and
Kirov ballets are undergoing a resurgence, after hitting the skids in
the '90s.

9. THE JAMESTOWN FOUNDATION PRISM: Aleksandr Tsipko, THE DIFFERENCES
BETWEEN PUTIN'S RUSSIA AND YELTSIN'S.]

Russia must boost warships to remain world power: Putin

KALININGRAD, Russia, July 30 (AFP) -
Russia must increase the size of its military fleet if it is to remain a
major world power, Russian President Vladimir Putin said Sunday.

"The navy is an important element in national defence and we give particular
attention to the development of the military fleet," said Putin, speaking
from the decks of an anti-torpedo boat in the Baltic sea port of Baltiysk,
where he was overseeing the navy's annual parade.

"Russia cannot carry on without a navy if it wants to play a role in the new
world order," Putin asserted.

Due to financial shortages Russia has reduced its fleet by 1,000 vessels over
a decade, according to figures contained in a report by the Russian admiralty
published last December.

Over this same period the nuclear submarine fleet was reduced by two-thirds
and the number of diesel-fuelled ships was reduced by three-quarters, the
figures revealed.

Fourteen vessels were put out of service in 1999, said the report, and
spending on repairs and maintenance was between only eight and 10 percent of
what is actually required.

The Russian navy festivities here Sunday were performed by 5,000 sailors
aboard 40 Russian warships, and some 40 military attaches from foreign
embassies in Moscow were due to watch the parade.

Baltiysk lies in the Gulf of Danzig, close to Kaliningrad, between Lithuania
and Poland.

Held every year on the last Sunday in July, the festivities are traditionally
played out in Saint Petersberg.

But this year's parade commemorates Kaliningrad as the place where the
Russian navy distinguished itself during World War II, fleet commander
Vladimir Egorov said.

The Russia Journal
July 29-August 4, 2000
SEASON OF DISCONTENT: A passionate crusader
By Andrei Piontkovski
Putin’s position on Islamic extremism and the war in Chechnya.

It has become almost a cliche in the Western press to call President
Vladimir Putin a cold and calculating pragmatist. But nothing could be
further from the truth – Putin is a passionate and emotional man. This
comes through every time he talks about issues that genuinely worry him
deeply, and especially about Chechnya.

These qualities emerged most fully in his recent interview with French
magazine Paris Match. Putin spoke convincingly, emotionally and sincerely,
which all made a clear impression on his interviewer – well-known French
writer Marek Halter. Previously, Putin had also made a strong impression on
many Western leaders.

Here was how Putin described the events that led to the second Chechen war:
"But I must say, if it hadn’t been for the invasion of Dagestan last
summer, nothing would have happened, because Russia was absolutely
unprepared, and more importantly, didn’t want any war or bloodshed."

There can be no doubting Putin’s sincerity. But there are no less sincere
and convincing supporters of another point of view. I’d especially like to
draw Putin’s attention not to the words of some "traitor" like Andrei
Babitsky, but to the respectable patriot and editor of Nezavisimaya Gazeta,
Vitaly Tretyakov.

Tretyakov is a convinced supporter of Putin and an active ideologue of the
Chechen war who has consistently branded opponents of the war as
"anti-state." It’s probably from Tretyakov that Putin borrowed the formula
on "mass media campaigning against the state," which turned up in his
address to the parliament.

This is what Tretyakov wrote in his newspaper on Oct. 12, 1999: "It’s
perfectly obvious that the Chechens were lured into Dagestan, they were
allowed to get tangled in this affair so as to have legal pretext for
restoring federal authority in the republic and beginning the active phase
of the fight against terrorists who had collected in Chechnya. It’s clear
that this was an operation organized by the secret services (don’t confuse
this with the apartment block bombings) and had political sanction from the
very top."

Tretyakov writes with pride in this text of the operation organized by
Russian secret services to have Shamil Basayev march on Dagestan, as if it
were an incontestable fact, an axiom perfectly obvious for his
well-informed readers. It says something, too, that his statement was not
denied nor called into question either by the secret services or by those
who Tretyakov is convinced gave "political sanction for the operation at
the very top."

Putin is equally emotional when it comes to another favorite issue that he
has been giving more and more time to of late.

"Russian soldiers today are on the front line of the fight with Islamic
extremism. Unfortunately, few notice this. Today, we are witnessing the
creation of an extremist international running along a so-called line of
instability beginning in the Philippines and ending in Kosovo. This is very
dangerous for Europe, above all, because of the large numbers of Muslims
living there. This really is a terrorist international, and Russia is on
the front line of the fight against this international terrorism. And
Europe really ought to be grateful to us for this and bow low before us
because so far, unfortunately, we’re fighting on our own."

Well, it no doubt is psychologically more comforting to look upon the
Chechen war not as a fight with a mutinous colony that has dragged on for
200 years now, but as a crusade against Islamic terrorism. What’s more, it
could also have served as a successful PR move to present the war to
Western public opinion.

The problem is that this propagandistic myth about Russia as a shield
defending the civilized world from modern barbarians, a myth it seems we
ourselves have seriously started to believe, is dangerous for the future of
Russia. It won’t convince anyone in the West, but it will definitely ruin
our relations with the Islamic world. And the Islamic world isn’t just our
great neighbor, it’s inside us. I assume that Putin knows not only that
Europe has a large Muslim population, but that Muslims make up 18 percent
of Russia’s population.

(Andrei Piontkovsky is director of the Center of Strategic Research.)

Russian Economy Grows 7 Percent
July 31, 2000
By ANGELA CHARLTON

MOSCOW (AP) - Russia's economy grew by more than 7 percent during the first
half of this year, a top Cabinet member said Monday, playing down fears that
economic growth is tapering off.

Vice Premier Viktor Khristenko announced the latest economic indicators after
a weekly Cabinet session headed by President Vladimir Putin, who is riding
high after a string of political victories last week. Next year's budget
topped the meeting's agenda.

Khristenko said inflation for July would not exceed 1 percent, and that the
yearly inflation rate would be 18-20 percent - instead of the 35 percent that
experts predicted after prices surged by 2.6 percent in June.

Russia's top statistician echoed Khristenko's optimism.

``In the first half of the year almost all indicators were positive,'' State
Statistics Committee chairman Vladimir Sokolin told a news conference Monday.

Sokolin said industrial production was up 10 percent in the first six months
of 2000, and that investment was up 14.2 percent from last year. Personal
income and spending are also climbing, though most of Russia's wealth is
still concentrated among a small portion of the population, Sokolin said.

According to the State Statistics Committee, the average monthly wage in June
was 2,290 rubles, or $82. That is up from 1,578 rubles a year earlier, which
at the time was worth about $66.

Russia's economy has enjoyed a boost over the past year in the wake of the
1998 financial collapse and a decade of almost constant decline. Rising oil
prices have helped, since Russia is a major oil exporter. A lower ruble has
aided domestic producers by making imports more expensive.

But the ruble has been climbing against the dollar, analysts warn that oil
prices are due to fall, and investors say deep structural changes are needed
for the economy to thrive. Economics and Trade Minister German Gref said in
an interview published Monday that growth in 2001 would be lower than this
year.

The Cabinet meeting also discussed this year's harvest, Khristenko said
without elaborating. Russia's harvest has been dismal for the past two years,
prompting food aid from the West. This year's harvest is projected to be
better, but still well below average.

Monday's budget discussion came after the upper house of parliament passed a
new tax code last week that Putin says is necessary to improve the economy.
He says the code, which includes replacing the progressive income tax with a
flat 13 percent tax, will reduce rampant tax evasion and spur investment.

The passage of the code was seen as a victory for Putin, who is trying to
rein in the often authoritarian regional bosses who make up the upper house
of parliament, the Federation Council.

Putin says meeting big business eased tension

MOSCOW, July 30 (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin said on Sunday his
meeting with Russia's business elite last week showed there were no plans for
a crackdown on corporations.

But he emphasised that it was essential for business to make sure it kept
within the law.

Putin met 21 leading businessmen last Friday amid fears the authorities were
clamping down on so-called ``oligarchs'' -- businessmen who amassed vast
wealth and influence under former President Boris Yeltsin during the chaotic
transformation from communism to capitalism.

Putin said in televised comments during a visit to the Kaliningrad enclave
that he had been able to discuss economic problems with the businessmen
openly.

``But the main result was the easing of all the speculation about a
redistribution of property and about an attack on business,'' Putin said in
his first comments on the talks.

He added that this was based on the understanding that everyone had to work
within the law.

Putin told the businessmen at the meeting he would not overturn the results
of post-Soviet privatisations, calming a key fear. The businessmen had also
said they wanted to live by clear rules rather than by murky contacts with
the authorities.

Many of the big privatisations under Yeltsin were criticised as insider deals
which allowed a small group of people to get rich. The oligarchs were also
accused of wielding undue influence in the Kremlin.

The fears of big business were aroused when tax police opened cases against
huge oil company LUKOIL and car maker AvtoVAZ. Prosecutors also jailed media
boss Vladimir Gusinsky for three days in June, although embezzlement charges
against him were dropped last week.

Russia's economy minister, German Gref, told NTV television that Putin had
informed the businessmen they were not being targeted by security forces and
that the police would continue to work normally.

But one of the businessmen at the meeting said he was not sure that pressure
on big firms had come to an end.

``There is a foundation for such worries but it would be incredibly sad if it
happened,'' Dimitry Zimin, chief executive of telecoms firm Vimpelcom, told
NTV.

*****