July 29, 2000

This Date's Issues:   4430

DJ: I am experimenting with a very short "Subject" line to see if that makes a difference for those who have had a problem receiving JRL recently. Please give me feedback. I plan to
restore the longer "Subject" line.
1. Reuters: Putin reassures Russia's "oligarchs"
2. Reuters: Kremlin statement on meeting with businessmen.
3. Moscow Times: Gregory Feifer, Oligarchs Are 'Sick of Being Oligarchs'
4. Reuters: QUOTES-What they said after Kremlin meeting on business.
5. Jamestown Foundation Monitor: TAX AUTHORITIES AUDIT BEREZOVSKY-CONTROLLED TV STATION.
6. Edward Lucas: re JRL 4429/Armstrong/Foreign Mujahaddin in Chechnya.
7. The Globe and Mail: Geoffrey York, Putin tightens his grip on Russia. (re Nizhny Novgorod)
8. RFE/RL: Paul Goble, Aiming At The Wrong Target. (re Muslims)
9. Reuters: Lower status for Russia rocket force ``unavoidable''
10. The New Republic: Lawrence Kaplan, What Dick Cheney has been doing all these years. From Russia With Loans.
11. Moscow Times: Andrei Zolotov Jr., Gusinsky's Freedom Sparks Speculation.
12. The Wall Street Journal Europe editorial: If You Can't Beat Him...
13. AP: Katyn Massacre Memorial Opens.]

Putin reassures Russia's "oligarchs"
By Patrick Lannin

MOSCOW, July 28 (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin reassured the country's
business elite he would not overturn post-Soviet privatisations on Friday,
allaying one of the main fears of corporate Russia.

Company bosses also said they wanted to stop being known disparagingly as
"oligarchs" and have equal rules for all.

Liberal politician Boris Nemtsov said Putin gave the assurance during talks
in the Kremlin with 21 of Russia's key business leaders intended to calm
tensions generated by legal proceedings launched against big companies.

"The president clearly and concisely said there would be no review of the
outcome of privatisations," Nemtsov, who organised the Kremlin meeting, told
reporters.

Calling into question the selloffs of the 1990s has been one of the key
concerns of the business elite.

"The oligarchs are tired of being oligarchs," Nemtsov added. He was seconded
by one leading businessman, Vladimir Potanin of the huge Interross holding.
"I confirm that," he said.

Privatisations under former President Boris Yeltsin have been criticised for
allowing corporate bosses, known as "oligarchs," to become wealthy by
acquiring industries cheaply.

Putin, elected in March, has said that some insiders exploited connections to
amass huge personal fortunes, like anglers "fishing in murky waters." He
vowed to distance himself from the small group that built empires under
Yeltsin.

BUSINESS GROWN FEARFUL

Some business leaders have also grown fearful this year after pressure on
media boss Vladimir Gusinsky and the launch of tax cases against car maker
AvtoVAZ and oil giant LUKOIL <LKOH.RTS>. Prosecutors have dropped the
Gusinsky proceedings.

Nemtsov said he was cautiously optimistic after the meeting that a new base
had been laid for business relations in Russia. Potanin agreed that
businesses wanted to act according to the law rather than benefit from inside
contacts.

"Business has at last understood that everything we gain by exploiting
various holes in the law is much less benefit than the loss we suffer because
such methods exist," said Potanin, owner of the huge Norilsk Nickel
<NKEL.RTS> metals plant.

He said Russia was "moving to new rules and new understandings."

Despite the fine gloss put on the meeting by both sides, it was not clear
whether recent antagonism would die down.

The Kremlin said in a statement that Putin and the business leaders had
agreed to hold regular meetings and Potanin said the entrepreneurs now saw
the authorities as allies.

Yet some of the most prominent members of the corporate elite who have been
particularly at odds with Putin were not there, notably businessman Boris
Berezovsky, oil and metals magnate Roman Abramovich and media baron Gusinsky.

Berezovsky, who was linked closely to Yeltsin, last week resigned as a member
of the lower house of parliament in protest against Putin's attempts to curb
the powers of regional leaders and what he called a "totally destructive"
attack on business.

NO GRAND CONCLUSIONS

Despite Nemtsov's statements, the head of the Uralmash plant said no grand
conclusions were drawn at the meeting. But Kakha Bendukidze, whose plant is
at the foot of the Ural mountains, thousands of miles from Moscow, called the
talks useful.

Putin was earlier shown on Russian television opening the meeting in a
glittering hall by calling for a discussion of relations between business and
the authorities, which he said had been "excessively politicised."

"I want to draw your attention to the fact that you built this state
yourself, to a great degree through the political or semi-political
structures under your control," he told the group, a roll call of Russia's
business elite.

"So there is no point in blaming the reflection in the mirror. Let us get
down to the point and be open about what is necessary to do to make our
relationship in this field civilised and transparent."

The president, joined by Prime Minister Mikhail Kasyanov and Kremlin chief of
staff Alexander Voloshin, gestured to business leaders and asked them to
speak one by one, from right to left.

Nemtsov said Putin had answered four questions, addressing laws to reduce the
tax burden on businesses and changes to customs rules. He also spoke about
the chances of joining the World Trade Organisation.

TEXT-Kremlin statement on meeting with businessmen

MOSCOW, July (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin on Friday met 21 of
Russia's most influential businessmen to calm tensions generated by legal
proceedings launched against major businesses.

Following is the text of a Kremlin press service statement issued after the
meeting (translation by Reuters, about 300 words):

The President of the Russian Federation, V.V. Putin, today held a meeting in
the Kremlin with the heads of some of the largest companies and commercial
banks in Russia.

Discussions at the meeting centred on the role of businesses in strengthening
Russia's statehood, maintaining social stability and preserving and expanding
national wealth.

The representatives of Russian business voiced concern about the rapid ageing
of industrial machinery and spoke in favour of stepping up investment to
upgrade production equipment.

The president reiterated his position that authorities would not review the
outcome of privatisations. At the same time, he said it was unacceptable for
competing companies to try to use state structures and law enforcement
agencies to achieve their goals.

Participants in the meeting reconfirmed their vision that it was necessary to
continue reforms in the Russian economy, aimed above all at improving living
standards in the country.

At the end of the meeting, a decision was taken to set up a permanent
mechanism of consultations between the authorities and entrepreneurs.
Authoritative and representative bodies, grouping the leaders of Russian
business, will take on the responsibility of putting forward agreed positions
at regular meetings with the president of the Russian Federation and the
government of Russia.

Moscow Times
July 29, 2000
Oligarchs Are 'Sick of Being Oligarchs'
By Gregory Feifer
Staff Writer

President Vladimir Putin told 21 of the country's most influential
businessmen Friday that the government would not revisit post-Soviet
privatization deals.

The Kremlin meeting was held to assuage fears of government reprisals, and
participants emerged smiling and joking. Boris Nemtsov, who came up with the
idea of the meeting, said it brought an end to the era of the oligarchs.

"A final end has been put on the last 10 years of capital accumulation," said
Nemtsov, head of the State Duma's Union of Right Forces faction. "The
president said clearly that there would be no reviewing of privatization.

"And the oligarchs have become sick of being oligarchs," Nemtsov added during
a news conference after the meeting with several of the participants. "They
want to be law-abiding taxpayers."

The participants issued a joint statement that said the president would
guarantee his support and complete cooperation with companies and banks
"whose actions function in the state's interests."

The business leaders said they were satisfied that the president heard out
their concerns during the meeting, which ran 40 minutes over its originally
scheduled two hours.

Echoing the opinion of several of his fellow businessmen, Yevgeny Zimin, head
of Vimpelcom telecom company, said, "I liked the meeting. I liked the honesty
and goodwill of the way in which the president conducted the meeting."

"The meeting was very successful," added Vladimir Potanin, whose Norilsk
Nickel was at the center of a dispute over privatization with the Prosecutor
General's Office this month.

Asked whether the business leaders could take Putin for his word, Nemtsov
said, "I know words are words and deeds deeds, but it was the president of
the Russian Federation speaking."

During the meeting, Prime Minister Mikhail Kasyanov proposed forming a
council of industrialists under the aegis of the prime minister that would
facilitate dialogue between business leaders and the presidential
administration and government.

"Putin said he wants regular meetings with businessmen to discuss important
problems," Potanin said. "That's what we wanted to hear: Does the state need
to hear our voice?"

The meeting follows a crackdown by prosecutors and other law enforcers on the
business elite that included the arrest of Vladimir Gusinsky, founder of NTV
television, which has irked the Kremlin with its critical coverage. Tax
police also accused No. 1 oil company LUKoil and top carmaker AvtoVAZ of tax
evasion.

Nemtsov said he asked the president what steps would follow the recent
crackdowns. "Putin replied that the law enforcement system must work properly
and no one can get in its way," he said.

In return, the oligarchs promised to obey laws and play on a level field.
"The oligarchy is over in Russia," Nemtsov quipped. "Ask Potanin."

Potanin smirked in reply.

But when asked what a level playing field constituted, the businessmen were
unanimous in their vague explanation that it meant closeness to political
authorities. "Everyone agreed that business has to turn away from political
power and the authorities can't ask anything of business," Nemtsov said.
"That requires cardinal reforms. The bureaucracy needs new people whose
salaries are much higher."

"We have to confront inspectors checking us almost every day," said Zimin,
who proposed private companies and international auditors take over some of
the government's duties.

"There's no quick fix," said Kakha Bendukidze, general director of the
Unified Machine Factory holding. "Political power in the economy must be
minimized and that will reduce opportunities for businessmen to be close to
power.

"Meanwhile, the fear remains. Unless the state calls off its tax inspectors þ
any businessman is a potential criminal," he said.

The government's recent crackdowns have been seen as part of Putin's promise
to level the playing field by ending incestuous ties between officials and
the oligarchs, who generally enjoyed complete immunity in return for
political loyalty under the administration of former President Boris Yeltsin.

Some critics say the government pressure is evidence Putin is attempting to
create a police state. Yet others have said the actions have been aimed
against rivals to Kremlin-aligned oligarchs.

Topics at the Friday meeting included discussion about strengthening the
state, social stability and investment in the country's aging industrial
plant, a presidential press service statement said.

The business leaders welcomed the president's promise during the meeting to
strengthen the country's ailing legal system. "The president said there would
be reforms that would provide a truly independent court system," Nemtsov
said.

Alexei Mordashov, head of steel producer Severstal, voiced caution. "It's
difficult to ascertain the results of the meeting," he said. "Only time and
concrete actions will tell."

Glaring exceptions from the meeting were Gusinsky and Sibneft oil tycoons
Boris Berezovsky and Roman Abramovich.

Gusinsky flew to Spain on Wednesday immediately after prosecutors announced
they had dropped all charges against him.

Berezovsky, a behind-the-scenes Kremlin power broker, helped bring Putin to
power, but has recently criticized the president for threatening democracy.

"It would have been better if Gusinsky, Berezovsky and [former Sibneft head
Roman] Abramovich had taken part þ but the Kremlin did not invite them,"
Nemtsov said.

While he was absent from the meeting, Berezovsky's interests were represented
by Sibneft chief Yevgeny Shvidler and Russian Aluminum head Oleg Deripaska.
Berezovsky partially controls both enterprises.

Berezovsky has called for an amnesty for those who conducted business during
the chaotic post-Soviet transition last decade, saying every major
businessman had to have broken the law at some point in order to stay in
business.

The meeting's participants said the question of amnesty had been addressed,
but not answered.

Potanin said Putin told the meeting that he was facing the difficult task of
building the state. "He told us that he wants us to be his helpers in that
framework," Potanin said.

Russian media on Friday voiced skepticism the meeting would result in any
changes for the business leaders.

Kommersant newspaper, echoing a general opinion, wrote on Friday that Putin
had already "won round one" in his tryst with the oligarchs. "The president
does not intend to be an equal partner with big business, but an elder one."

"The meeting's goal, as the Kremlin's directors joke, is to 'change the
[business leaders'] diapers' and 'wipe away their tears,'" Vedomosti
newspaper opined.

QUOTES-What they said after Kremlin meeting on business

MOSCOW, July 28 (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin reassured business
leaders on Friday he would not overturn the privatisation deals of the 1990s,
criticised by some economists for allowing entrepreneurs to amass huge wealth
on the cheap.

Here are some of the key quotes after the meeting in the Kremlin, called to
ease tensions between the authorities and big business after recent pressure
on some companies.

BORIS NEMTSOV, LIBERAL POLITICIAN WHO ORGANISED THE MEETING:

"The president clearly and concisely said there would be no review of the
outcome of privatisations."

"The oligarchs are tired of being oligarchs," said Nemtsov, who himself first
started using the term to describe the businessmen who amassed great wealth
in the post-Soviet era.

VLADIMIR POTANIN, HEAD OF THE INTERROS HOLDING:

"I confirm that," he said, seconding Nemtsov's words.

"It is not that I have lost my fear (of the authorities) after this meeting.
I was uncertain and worried about the development of the situation. The main
uncertainty was whether we were being heard and whether in general we
businessmen were needed as a class."

"On this main question I received an answer. We can be useful to the
country."

MIKHAIL KHODORKOVSKY, HEAD OF OIL FIRM YUKOS:

Interfax news agency quoted him as saying his negative opinion on the risks
of investing in Russia had decreased. He was quoted by Itar-Tass news agency
as saying the discussions in the Kremlin had been important and necessary.

KAKHA BENDUKIDZE, HEAD OF URALMASH MANUFACTURING FIRM:

He said the discussion had been of a technical nature but still useful. He
called for fresh tax cuts adding: "Without a tax cut, any Russian businessman
can become a criminal."

OLEG KISELYOV, HEAD OF LEADING BANK, IMPEXBANK:

"The problems of the state and business will not be solved in a revolutionary
way...Before us sat a most reasonable and capable man (Putin), a man able to
understand the situation."

Jamestown Foundation Monitor
July 28, 2000
Authorities suddenly interested in Berezovsky and Abramovich entities

TAX AUTHORITIES AUDIT BEREZOVSKY-CONTROLLED TV STATION. The tax
authorities
have begun an audit of TV-6, one of the outlets in the media empire
controlled by Boris Berezovsky. The federal tax police yesterday visited
the television station's offices in Moscow, after which its general
director, Aleksandr Ponomarev, said that the visit was a surprise, but
adding that "it is not in the tradition of the tax police to warn about
their arrival in advance." Ponomarev said, however, that the audit may be
routine, given that the station was previously audited in 1998, and that
there was no reason "thus far" to raise a fuss about "an attack on our
freedom." Ponomarev said the station had presented the tax inspectors with
financial documents, as required by law, and that no materials had been
seized (Russian agencies, July 27).

Given that the tax police showed up at TV-6 just as the charges against
Media-Most's Vladimir Gusinsky were being dropped, and on the eve of
President Vladimir Putin's roundtable meeting with eighteen oligarchs, it
is difficult not to conclude that the raid was at least in part designed to
illustrate the Kremlin's determination to put all the oligarchs equally in
their place. At the same time, Deputy Prime Minister Aleksei Kudrin, who is
also finance minister, ordered the tax authorities and other federal
agencies to look into allegations that certain oil companies--above all,
Sibneft, which is said to be controlled by Roman Abramovich, the State Duma
deputy and Kremlin insider--have been using "special methods" to evade
taxes. The Finance Ministry recently reported that Sibneft was paying many
times less tax than other leading oil companies. It also reported that the
Tyumen Oil Company (controlled by the influential Alfa Group), Yukos
(controlled by leading oligarch Mikhail Khodorkovsky) and Slavneft had been
significantly underpaying taxes. Kudrin's demarche came on the heels of
accusations that the Kremlin has been giving certain oligarchs,
particularly Abramovich, preferential treatment (see the Monitor, July 27).