May 1, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4278

1. Reuters: Thousands march in calm, cold Russia May Day.
2. The Times (UK): Alice Lagnado, Duma debates capital move to
St Petersburg.

3. Boston Globe: Brian Whitmore, Bank scandal gets a dose of  titillation. (Bank of New York)
4. AP/Harriman Conference in New York May 5: Russia After Yeltsin.
5. the eXile's Mark Ames and Matt Taibbi at CSIS in Washington
May 4.
6. Argumenty i fakty: Interview with Sergei IVANOV, Secretary of
the Security Council.
7. EAST EUROPEAN CONSTITUTIONAL REVIEW--FREE.
8. New York Times: William Broad, U.S.-Russian Talks Revive Old Debates on Nuclear Warnings.
9. Albert Weeks: Holum and Blair dialog.
10. THE YOMIURI SHIMBUN/DAILY YOMIURI: Alexander Tsypko, LOCAL GOVERNORS BOW TO PUTIN.
11. the eXile Press Review: Matt Taibbi, Meet Dr. Obvious.
(Thomas Friedman)
12. AP: Gore Raps Bush on Foreign Policy/]

Thousands march in calm, cold Russia May Day

By Ron Popeski

MOSCOW, May 1 (Reuters) - Tens of thousands of Russians took part in May Day

marches on Monday, but with a new Kremlin leader in place and cold weather

gripping cities, protests were smaller and less virulent than previous

post-Soviet gatherings.

President-elect Vladimir Putin spent the day relaxing with his family at the

Black Sea resort of Sochi and presumably readying himself for his

inauguration next Sunday and the subsequent formation of a new government.

Russia's pensioners, many barely able to make ends meet after nine years of

turmoil, received a small boost to their pensions, now worth the equivalent

of less than $30 on average. But were also hit by increased gas and

electricity prices.

``We were all free and happy then,'' pensioner Dina Gulicheva told Reuters

Television beneath a statue of Soviet state founder Vladimir Lenin in central

Moscow. ``These democrats have taken everything away from me.''

Soviet-era celebrations were organised affairs, with workers proceeding in

columns through Red Square while Communist leaders watched approvingly from

atop Lenin's mausoleum. In recent years, marches focused on demands for the

resignation of Putin's predecessor, Boris Yeltsin.

Monday's festivities saw two processions pass through Moscow streets, each

drawing several thousand marchers braving cold winds to mark a ``holiday of

spring and labour.''

Trade unions, joined by popular Moscow Mayor Yuri Luzhkov and groups of women

carrying plastic flowers and balloons, demanded higher and promptly paid

wages plus measures to help domestic producers meet the demands of market

economics.

``These people have come here with simple demands -- 'where is our pay?' 'Why

is the minimum wage not being raised?','' trade union leader Mikhail Shmakov

told reporters on Moscow's main thoroughfare, Tverskaya Street.

A few kilometres (miles) away, the Communist Party and other leftists held

their own procession, but with Yeltsin's departure depriving them of their

main focus of anger, the tone was largely subdued.

Marchers carried red flags and carnations, danced in a city square to

Soviet-era songs and railed against poverty.

One Lenin lookalike carried a placard with Communist slogans. Others staged a

mime depicting the evils of capitalist society, including a gagged marcher

labelled ``freedom of speech'' and another dressed as a prostitute with the

banner ``morality.''

COMMUNIST ZYUGANOV BLASTS DISARMAMENT PACT

Communist Party leader Gennady Zyuganov, defeated by Putin in March's

presidential election, used his speech to denounce parliament's ratification

of the START-2 disarmament pact.

``We were forced to sign a treaty to liquidate the last nuclear umbrella

under which we could have resurrected our state within 10 to 15 years,'' he

said.

Viktor Anpilov of the far-left ``Working Russia'' movement acknowledged

Yeltsin's departure had altered the tone, but said: ``He is still there,

though unseen, through his policies.''

Television showed thousands of marchers in St Petersburg pledging to ``build

a positive image'' for Russia's second city, renowned as a centre of

organised crime with contract killings an almost weekly occurrence. Leading

the rally was governor Vladimir Yakovlev, running for re-election this month.

Reports from throughout Russia spoke of small rallies in other cities, mostly

by left-wing groups, without incident.

In the former Soviet republic of Ukraine, about 2,000 communist protesters

gathered in the capital Kiev outside the former Lenin museum, now an

exhibition hall.

Party leader Petro Symonenko, beaten in last year's presidential election,

decried policies he said had turned Ukraine into ``one of the world's 10

fastest dying nations.''

The Times (UK)

Duma debates capital move to St Petersburg

FROM ALICE LAGNADO IN MOSCOW

THE Russian parliament this month will debate moving to the former imperial

capital of St Petersburg.

Vladimir Yakovlev, the city's Governor, and other prominent figures in St

Petersburg for years have pushed for the "crime capital of Russia" to return

to its pre-communist position as the most important Russian city and attract

more money to its economy.

Gennadi Seleznyov, the Speaker of the Duma, said at the weekend that there

may be a vote on the issue by mid-June and that the new buildings could be

ready in 36 months.

Moscow and St Petersburg maintain an intense rivalry, with Muscovites

deriding St Petersburg as nothing more than a dead "museum" and St

Petersburgers sniffing at the "big village" that is Moscow.

In St Petersburg, despite the dirt, potholes, bleak weather and frequent

contract killings, there are many who regard the city as more European, more

literary and more refined than Moscow, and more suitable as a seat of

national government.

Now the Russian Government is headed by a St Petersburg native, Vladimir

Putin, who has brought many of his cronies with him, and has inspired those

who want to move out of "provincial" Moscow. In reality, the plan is unlikely

to be realised. Mr Putin said in February that moving north would be absurd

and too costly. But the fact that the issue, which St Petersburg's Governor

has talked about for years, is finally being taken seriously in parliament is

important for other reasons.

Mr Yakovlev and Mr Putin have been bitter enemies for years. In the past, Mr

Putin has called the Governor a Judas and is known to have made rude remarks

to the Governor and even ignored him during public appearances. Mr Yakovlev's

enemies accuse him of running a corrupt city government infiltrated by the

ruling Tambov mafia.

Boston Globe

FOREIGN JOURNAL

Bank scandal gets a dose of titillation

By Brian Whitmore, Globe Correspondent

MSCOW - References to the Bank of New York have been popping up in strange

places in Moscow. In the city's chatty tabloid press, for example.

Last week, the scandal-sheet Versiya reported that it knows of a videotape

showing a Bank of New York executive frolicking with Moscow prostitutes. The

paper reported that it was trying to obtain a copy of the tape to check its

validity and promised readers it would stay on top of the story.

Huh? What's that all about? Stories like this usually don't appear in the

Russian press by accident - and they usually have goals other than amusing

voyeuristic readers. When something like this pops up, it is often some sort

of veiled threat.

Granted, the Bank of New York's recent history with Russia hasn't been a

happy one. Last fall, US and British law-enforcement officials said they were

investigating allegations that as much as $7 billion in Russian cash was

illegally laundered through the bank.

When the scandal broke, the news media here were full of stories saying the

allegations were fabricated by political forces in the United States to

discredit Russia.

The Bank of New York has since fired two Russian-born executives, Lucy

Edwards and Natalya Kagalovskaya. Edwards pleaded guilty to arranging illegal

transfer of billions of dollars through the bank. Kagalovskaya, who has not

been charged, is suing the bank for damaging her reputation.

Last week, Iowa Republican James Leach, who chairs the House Banking

Committee, was in Moscow to confer with Russian legislators on how the

countries can cooperate to tighten controls on money laundering. A Russian

journalist asked Leach about the Versiya article and its allegations of

sexual debauchery. While listening to the translation, Leach's face seemed to

betray a mixture of confusion, amusement, and dread - but he recovered well.

''We don't know anything about sexual scandals in the United States,'' he

said.

Nearly everyone in the room burst out in laughter. The Russian media, with

barely concealed delight, had reported extensively on the Monica Lewinsky

affair.

The tabloid press isn't the only place the Bank of New York has fallen under

attack here. Recently, billboards have appeared along some of Moscow's most

heavily traveled streets with the following message: ''Gentlemen from the

Bank of New York, we are warning you. Manipulating stocks in Russia is

impermissible.''

Nobody can say who was behind the billboards, but the Bank of New York is a

major player with Russian stocks. The bank holds a virtual monopoly on

American Depositary Receipts, or ADRs, proxy stocks for Russian corporations

that are traded on Wall Street.

Under the ADR system, the Bank of New York buys shares in Russian companies

and then sells proxy stocks on the US exchange. The bank, not the foreign ADR

holder, is allowed to vote at shareholder meetings.

Some politicians here have criticized the ADR system, saying Russian

corporate executives use it to manipulate shareholder votes. In exchange for

a company's ADR business, the politicians allege, the Bank of New York agrees

to vote according to management's wishes.

The Bank of New York's ADR business is also threatened by Kagalovskaya's $270

million lawsuit. If she wins, her lawyers suspect that the Bank of New York

will not pay out. If this happens, the lawyers have hinted that they will go

after the assets the Bank of New York owns in several Russian companies

through ADRs.

Meanwhile, Moscow can probably look forward to more tantalizing tabloid

stories, and strange billboards.