March 17, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4173 4174 4175 4176

1. Itar-Tass: Most Russians Accept Idea of Tough Autocratic Rule.
2. AFP: Russian Voters More Concerned About Prices Than Chechen War.
3. Bloomberg: Russia Says It Expects IMF to Resume Lending After Election. (Kasyanov)
4. Itar-Tass: Preparations for Presidential Elections Practically Over.
5. Nikolai Petrov: re the Gas-Vybory computer system and election counting.
6. Philip Wasielewski: Moscow Bombings.
7. Bloomberg: Russians Still Favor Putin in Presidential Election, Poll Shows.
8. AFP: Top General Gives Advice To Troops Voting Early In Presidential Poll.
9. Izvestia: Georgy BOVT and Yevgeny KRUTIKOV, IS THE WAR OVER? Chechen War's Effect on Russian Society Is Different from What Was Expected.
10. Moscow Times: Tatyana Matsuk, Honest Business.
11. St. Petersburg Times: Thomas Tymer, Historical Parallels Could Spell the End of Oligarchy.
12. The Guardian (UK): Amelia Gentleman, Bolshoi dances on edge of disaster.
13. Novye Izvestiya: Yavlinsky Is The Second Most Popular Candidate.
14. Moscow Times EDITORIAL: Gag Order Sentences All To Ignorance.
15. Reuters: Russia's Putin finds support among factory workers.]

Most Russians Accept Idea of Tough Autocratic Rule.

MOSCOW, March 17 (Itar-Tass) - About half of Russian citizens (54.2 per cent)
believe that this country is historically inclined towards tough autocratic
rule. 24.1 per cent are sure of it, and another 30.1 per cent "tend to
support the idea."

This follows from the results of a public opinion poll, conducted by the
ROMIR independent research centre, which were submitted to Tass.

The public opinion poll showed that only 21.3 per cent of Russian citizens do
not agree with the idea. 13.6 per cent of the polled neither supported, nor
rejected the idea, and 10.6 per cent found it difficult to answer the
question.

ROMIR conducted the public opinion poll, following the selective
representation principle, with the participation of 2,000 people.

Russian Voters More Concerned About Prices Than Chechen War

MOSCOW, Mar 17, 2000 -- (Agence France Presse) With nine days to Russia's
presidential election, voters are more worried about living standards than
the war in Chechnya which has catapulted acting President Vladimir Putin into
a commanding lead, a poll said Friday.

Twenty-four percent of people told the ARPI polling institute that inflation
was their main concern ahead of the March 26 presidential elections, compared
to 16 percent for the war in Chechnya, the Izvestia daily reported.

Twelve percent said they most feared losing their jobs, while the same number
expressed concern over rising crime, the paper said. The poll quizzed 1,600
people in 90 localities across Russia.

Izvestia said the results of the poll appeared to suggest that voters were
tired of the images of war which daily fill television screens and newspapers.

Russia Says It Expects IMF to Resume Lending After Election

Moscow, March 16 (Bloomberg) - Russia said it expects the International
Monetary Fund and other creditors to resume lending soon after the March 26
presidential election, when the government submits its new economic program.

The plan, said First Deputy Prime Minister Mikhail Kasyanov, would cover at
least the next three years and address the economy's ``structural''
problems. That's the term the IMF used when it suspended lending to Russia,
calling for elimination of barter, an improved bankruptcy law and better
efforts to stem capital flight.

``We are convinced a program will be developed after the new government is
formed that will be met with understanding and support by international
financial organizations,'' Kasyanov said. ``In the second half of the year
we will be able to finance the budget deficit'' with loans from the IMF,
World Bank and other lenders.

Russia's 2000 budget anticipates about $5.9 billion in foreign loans,
including about $4.5 billion from the IMF and the World Bank. The fund
stopped lending to Russia in September, after approving a $4.5 billion loan
program for the country in August 1999. Other reasons cited by the fund for
the cessation in lending including concern about a U.S. investigation into
alleged Russian money laundering and the start of the military campaign in
Chechnya in September.

Russia has continued to repay earlier loans from the IMF, which is its
third-biggest creditor, after commercial bank creditors and foreign
governments. Rising revenue from oil exports as the price of crude more
than doubled in the past year has helped the government repay its debts,
and boosted foreign currency reserves. Tax collection also increased from
machinery, chemicals, paper and other industries that that saw earnings
improve after the ruble's plunge in 1998 slashed demand for competing
imports.

Sustainable Growth

The government's new economic program will aim to ensure economic growth
continues, Kasyanov said.

``It will seriously stress structural measures that will strengthen those
tendencies that today exist in the economy,'' Kasyanov said. ``This will be
the main aim.''

Kasyanov said the government needs IMF and World Bank loans this year.

``We still need to receive those $4.5 billion budgeted as loans from the
IMF and the World Bank,'' he said. ``If we don't get them nothing terrible
will happen, as we learned to live in such difficult conditions, but we are
not making (not getting loans) our working plan.''

Russia won't borrow on international capital markets this year, Kasyanov
said.

``I don't exclude we will do it next year,'' he said.

Preparations for Presidential Elections Practically Over.

MOSCOW, March 17 (Itar-Tass) - "The preparations for the March 26 elections
are practically over," Chairman of the Central Electoral Commission Alexander
Veshnyakov stated here on Friday in the course of an all-Russia
teleconference, taking part in which were almost 100,000 representatives from
94,500 district electoral commissions, 2,737 territorial electoral
commissions, and 89 electoral commissions of the subjects of the Russian
Federation. Taking part in it also were representatives from local governing
bodies, high-ranking officials of the Interior Ministry, Defence Ministry,
Justice Ministry, and the Procurator-General's Office.

Veshnyakov noted that the endorsed lists of voters include the names of
107,947,000 people, enjoying suffrage rights. As many as 839,000 of them are
now abroad. Polling stations were set up on approximately 2,000 ships that
are now at sea. Five polling stations were set up at Polar research centres,
1,056 -- at medical establishments, 110 -- at custody centres and prisons,
351 -- in forbidding and distant areas, and 109 -- at separately deployed
military units.

The chairman of the Central Electoral Commission urged the participants of
the teleconference "to properly organise and hold the elections on March 26".
He reminded them that shifts at enterprises with a round-the-clock working
cycle should be arranged in such a way as to "allow their
many-thousand-strong personnels to take part in the presidential elections,
which is their constitutional right".

Veshnyakov hopes that the turnout on election day "will equal to no less than
65 per cent". "Such forecasts are grounded," he added. This is testified by
mass media reports, but, nevertheless, much efforts are needed to make them
come true, Veshnyakov stressed.

He stated that the information from district electoral commissions would be
transmitted to territorial electoral commissions and then to the commissions
of the subjects of the Federation via the "Elections" automatic system and to
the Federal "Elections-200" Information Centre, which will function at
Ostankino in Moscow on voting day. The first information is expected to
arrive from fifty per cent of the constituencies by three a.m. on March 27,
and more than 90 per cent -- by 9-10 a.m.

The official results of the voting will be summed up by the Central Electoral
Commission on the basis of the original protocols received from the electoral
commissions, which are to arrive not later than April 4.