March 13, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4164 4165

1. The Observer (UK): John Sweeney, Take care Tony, that man has blood on his hands. Evidence shows secret police were behind 'terrorist' bomb.
2. The Guardian (UK) editorial: DANGEROUS LIAISONS: CLINTON CANNOT TURN A FROG INTO A PRINCE.
3. Moscow Times EDITORIAL: Ministry's Words Give False Hope.(re Anti-Monopoly Ministry)
4. Ray Thomas: RE:4162-Tavernise/Banks Are Lending Money.
5. The Russia Journal: President has too much authority’.(Extracts from politician Vladimir Ryzhkov’s new book)
6. BBC MONITORING: RUSSIAN PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION BROADCAST BY VLADIMIR ZHIRINOVSKIY.
7. Chicago Tribune: A NEW BIOGRAPHY SHOWS HOW BORIS YELTSIN WAS ABLE TO DELIVER DEMOCRACY TO RUSSIA. (Matthew H. Murray review Aron's Yeltsin.)
8. Tykhookeanskaya Zvezda: Vera Poboinaya, This Scary Word "Dictatorship". (From Hello Russia)
9. RFE/RL: East: Alexandra Poolos, Economic Reform Results In High Jobless Rates For Women.
10. Carnegie Moscow Center: Andrey Ryabov, The Presidential Elections and the Evolution of Russia's Political System (an attempt at a political forecast)]

The Observer (UK)
March 12, 2000
[for personal use only]
Take care Tony, that man has blood on his hands
Evidence shows secret police were behind 'terrorist' bomb
By John Sweeney

The photograph below of a detonator pre-set to explode a bomb calls into
question Russian leader Vladimir Putin's line - endorsed by Tony Blair during
his visit to Russia yesterday - that Chechen terrorists were responsible for
the explosions that killed more than 200 Russians last year.

Two bombs went off in Moscow, but a third bomb planted in Ryazan, 100 miles
south, was defused by bomb squad officer Yuri Tkachenko who said: 'It was a
live bomb.' It was made of the same explosive, Hexagen, and planted in a
similar target - a working-class block of flats.

The third bomb did not go off because the bombers were caught red-handed.
They were Russian, not Chechen, and when they were arrested by local police
they flashed identity cards from the FSB - the new styling for the KGB, the
secret police Putin headed before he became Russia's acting President. Two
days later the FSB announced that the third bomb had only been 'a training
exercise'.

The Kremlin's evidence that Chechen terrorists bombed Moscow is extremely
thin. After the bomb outrages, secret police in the FSB handed out Photofit
pictures of unnamed Chechens. No suspects were arrested and no convincing
explanation was given to the public.

The third bomb was found in the basement of the flats on the night of 22
September at around 9pm. Tkachenko said: 'It was a live bomb. I was in a
combat situation.' He tested the three sugar sacks in the basement with his
MO-2 portable gas analyser, and got a positive reading for Hexagen, the
explosive used in the Moscow bombs.

The timer of the detonator was set for 5.30am, which would have killed many
of the 250 tenants of the 13-storey block of flats. The sacks were taken out
of the basement at around 1.30 am and driven away by the FSB. But the secret
police forgot to take away the detonator, which was left in the hands of the
bomb squad. They photographed it the next day.

The bombers were discovered by the people they meant to kill. Vladimir
Vasiliev, an engineer com ing home for the night, noticed three strangers
acting suspiciously by the basement of his block of flats at 14/16 Novosyolov
Street, literally New Settlers Street.

Vasiliev noticed that the number plate at the front of the car had been
covered up with a piece of paper, on it '62', the Ryazan regional code. At
the back of the car the plate had the Moscow regional code.

Vasiliev, puzzled, decided to call the police. 'As we were waiting for the
lift, one of the young guys got out of the car and the girl asked: "Have you
done everything?" '

Vasiliev observed the three in the car: 'They were Russian, absolutely, not
Asiatic. The girl was a blonde.'

The local police arrested two men that night, according to Boris Kagarlitsky,
a member of the Russian Institute of Comparative Politics. 'FSB officers were
caught red-handed while planting the bomb. They were arrested by the police
and they tried to save themselves by showing FSB identity cards.'

Then, when the headquarters of the FSB in Moscow intervened, the two men were
quietly let go.

Police Inspector Andrei Chernyshev was the first to enter the basement. He
said: 'It was about 10 in the evening. There were some strangers who were
seen leaving the basement. We were told about the men who came out from the
basement and left with the car with a licence number which was covered with
paper. I went down to the basement.

'This block of flats had a very deep basement which was completely covered
with water. We could see sacks of sugar and in them some electronic device, a
few wires and a clock. We were shocked.

'We ran out of the basement and I stayed on watch by the entrance and my
officers went to evacuate the people.'

The following day, on 24 September, the FSB in Moscow announced that there
had never been a bomb, only a training exercise. Vasiliev said: 'I heard the
official version on the radio, when the press secretary of the FSB announced
it was a training exercise. It felt extremely unpleasant.'

The Guardian (UK)
Editorial
DANGEROUS LIAISONS: CLINTON CANNOT TURN A FROG INTO A PRINCE

At first glance, Vladimir Putin, acting president of Russia, and Pervez
Musharraf, military boss of Pakistan, would not appear to have much in
common. Mr Putin is a dapper little chap, a bit of a chinless wonder in a
country known for its larger-than-life leaders. Gen Musharraf likes to
portray himself as a bluff, genial soldier, tough and battle-hardened but a
sweetie at heart. Yet look closer and some similarities appear. Both men take
their patriotism very seriously. Neither balks at a military adventure or the
odd cross-border incursion. And both take their democracy with a pinch of
salt.

But what really joins this odd couple at the hip is their overweening desire
for legitimacy. Mr Putin, a secret policeman by trade, came from nowhere to
sit on the edge of Boris Yeltsin's commodious Kremlin armchair. He knows he
will win this month's presidential election. But what he really craves is
heavyweight world leader status. Gen Musharraf is even more desperate. Since
he seized power last autumn and unanimously voted himself Big Cheese Numero
Uno, the international community has been a bit. . . well, stand-offish to
say the least.

For both these lonely hearts, help is at hand. Keen to meet Russia's coming
man, and not averse to a nice evening out with Cherie at the Kirov, Tony
Blair is off to St Petersburg this weekend. To suggest that this social
get-together may be seen as a highly unusual, pre-election endorsement of Mr
Putin's candidacy, and his not unconnected, murderous suppression of the
Chechens, would be simply gauche. This is a matter of realpolitik, mixed with
a spot of shopping. It would likewise clearly be naive to question Bill
Clinton's decision to breach the cordon sanitaire around Gen Musharraf later
this month. Mr Clinton imagines he can do over lunch in Islamabad what nobody
else can: turn a frog into a prince. What confidence our leaders have! What
verve! And how Messrs Putin and Musharraf must chuckle!

Moscow Times
March 11, 2000
EDITORIAL: Ministry's Words Give False Hope

The Anti-Monopoly Ministry has long been something of a paper tiger, but its
performance this week has relegated it to the status of a paper pussycat.

Acting President Vladimir Putin had given comfort to local and foreign
businessmen concerned at the apparent resurgence of arch tycoon Boris
Berezovsky and his allies, when he urged the Anti-Monopoly Ministry to
examine the recent acquisitions of some 60 percent of the aluminum industry
by "Sibneft shareholders."

Even when Putin took that step, many warned that the ministry had few real
teeth.

Thursday's announcement by Anti-Monopoly Minister Ilya Yuzhanov was therefore
both surprising and depressing.

Yuzhanov's capitulation - made after he had briefed Putin on the matter - was
not depressing because he declared there were no illegalities in the sales of
majority stakes in the Krasnoyarsk and Bratsk aluminum smelters and
significant minority stakes in the Krasnoyarsk hydropower station and the
Achinsk Alumina Plant.

In ordering the investigation, the acting president had apparently decided to
heed the protests of rival aluminum magnate Oleg Deripaska, whose Sibirsky
Aluminum Group has been forging close economic and political ties with
Unified Energy Systems and its chief executive, Anatoly Chubais.

Had the government - after such an obviously politicized investigation -
declared that the sales should be undone, it would have been directly
choosing sides in a battle between competing camps of oligarchs.

If Berezovsky and his erstwhile ally Roman Abramovich have indeed won control
of a string of aluminum companies, there is no necessary reason for the
government to take action, unless they look set to wield excessive monopoly
power. With Sibirsky Aluminum and UES - drawing on its own monopoly power in
the electricity industry - acting as counterweights, that looks unlikely.

Instead, objections to the recent aluminum deals hinge on precisely the
matters about which Yuzhanov was most reticent.

It is unconscionable for the government to state that it knows who now owns
these companies, but will not reveal this information because it is a
commercial secret.

It is even worse when this veil of secrecy is drawn over a deal widely
believed to involve a flagrant breach of laws that ban State Duma deputies
from owning enterprises or taking part in private business in any way.

Despite all the damage caused over the past decade by the lack of
transparency in the most basic business matters, the Putin regime has still
not learned that market democracy is all about openness.

- Garfield Reynolds