March 2, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4142 4143 4144

1. AFP: Bure and Kournikova - a Russian love story.
2. Interfax: CENTER OF STRATEGIC PROJECTS TO PREPARE PHILOSOPHY OF RUSSIAN DEVELOPMENT.
3. Moscow Times: Pavel Felgenhauer, New Thousand-Year Reich? (re Center for Strategic Projects and German Gref)
4. Interfax: FOREIGN INVESTMENT IN RUSSIA DROPS BY 18.8%.
5. Interfax: MOSCOW BLASTS U.S. STATE DEPARTAMENT HUMAN RIGHTS REPORT.
6. NEW WEB-SITE FOR ECAAR-RUSSIA. (ECONOMISTS ALLIED FOR ARMS REDUCTION)
7. Jerry Hough: What Putin should do.
8. Matt Bivens: donating blood.
9. 23rd annual Arden House Conference in New York: Two Presidential Elections: What will New Leadership Mean for Russia and the United States?
10. Robert Devane: Skuratov case.
11. NTV: INTERVIEW WITH RADIO LIBERTY CORRESPONDENT ANDREI BABITSKY.
12. Boris Nemtsov: Chechnya, Russia and the World.
13. Interfax: OVER THIRD OF RUSSIANS BELIEVE ATTEMPT ON PUTIN'S LIFE IN WORKS - POLL.
14. Reuters: Patrick Lannin, ANALYSIS-Chechnya takes Putin close to poll triumph.
15. Reuters: Sweden's hunt for red herrings? (DJ: Far from being the only Cold War red herring, particularly in the Reagan era.)]

AFP
March 2,2000
Bure and Kournikova - a Russian love story

The news that sports stars Anna Kournikova and Pavel Bure are engaged has hit
Russia like a thunderbolt.

Pictures of the happy couple took the front page of just about every
newspaper in the country.

While the couple involved remain coy about the engagement, Russians are
already taking the fact for granted and they are wondering who will replace
the number one bachelor for thousands of Russian girls.

Pavel Bure is undoubtedly a heartthrob, both on and off the rink.

He virtually single-handedly led the Russian ice hocky team to a silver in
the 1998 Olympics, and his good looks and lavish lifestyle have made him a
gossip column staple.

The only element missing in the golden boy's life was a matching love story.

Now it has happened, game, set and match to tennis starlet Anna Kournikova,
and no one is more delighted than Bure's grandmother, that her grandson has
finally found his mate.

She thinks Pavel has indeed fallen in love, and she said he told her that if
he ever married, he would marry a Russian girl.

But that Russian girl, unlike her fiance, has relatively few fans in Russia
because of her perceived antipathy to her home country.

Anna Kournikova's media skills leave much to be desired, she refused to speak
in Russian during a news conference in Moscow, much to the fury of the local
press.

Although the couple met in Florida, many Russians are sure the main
attraction between Bure and Kournikova was their shared nationality.

Naturally everyone expects them to get married at home, but nothing has been
confirmed yet.

CENTER OF STRATEGIC PROJECTS TO PREPARE PHILOSOPHY OF RUSSIAN
DEVELOPMENT

MOSCOW. March 1 (Interfax) - The Center of strategic projects will
not manage to complete a comprehensive program on the development of
economic, political and social reforms in the country by the time of the
presidential elections the head of the Center, German Gref said today.
However the philosophy surrounding such a program will be offered
to the head of state by March 26.
In an interview with the Russian weekly Argumenty i Fakty, Gref
said "At present, we have a draft document which we call a "Manifesto."
It could well be interpreted as a philosophy of this program. This
philosophy implies liberal reforms in society, in authority, and in the
economy."
The program will consist of four parts the first of which Gref has
described as a "new Social Contract [the original being Rousseau's
famous work]." It will fix commitments to be assumed by each of the
parties in the relations of "authority to citizen," "authority to
business," and "employer to employee."
The key postulate here is that state promises "must correspond with
state abilities," Gref said. At the present time, the state "does not
honor its obligations, deceives the people and deceives enterprises."
The second part of the future program is to deal with the reform of
authority. The state under market economy must first of all "learn to
use market levers rather than administrative ones," Gref said.
The third part relating to the modernization of the economy is in
fact what "was previously called" an economic program.
The concluding part of the program will deal with Russia's foreign
policy, or, as the authors put it, Russia's "new place" in the world.
The touchstone of this part is that "foreign policy must be determined
by national, mainly economic, interests," Gref stressed.
He pointed out that the authors of the program assume that "there
is no special way for Russia." The individuality of the Russian way must
consist in the assumption that "reforms that were tested by time and
world practice should be matched with Russian values and originality,"
they said.

Moscow Times
March 2, 2000
DEFENSE DOSSIER: New Thousand-Year Reich?
By Pavel Felgenhauer

Last week, I attended a foreign-sponsored conference in Moscow, hoping to get
a first-hand brief on acting President Vladimir Putin's future reform
priorities. German Gref, chief of the Center for Strategic Projects, was to
tell potential investors what Russia's future will be.

The Center for Strategic Projects was founded last fall by Putin himself,
while Gref is considered by many in Moscow to be Putin's right-hand economic
guru. Today Gref is in great demand, and last week he addressed at least two
conferences (U.S.- and German-sponsored).

I do not know whether the conference organizers paid Gref an honorarium, or,
if so, whether Gref actually accepted such an offer. But I do know that, if
money was paid, it was squandered. Gref's presentation was nice, but
irrationally unspecific. Gref announced that Russian government bureaucrats
are corrupt and that the state needs honest chinovniki to regulate economic
development. But Gref did not tell us how to convert the numerous old Soviet
apparatchiki and new Russian thugs that today dominate Russian's government
into honest civil servants. The only idea put forward was the institution of
a pay increase for the myriad bureaucrats.

Of course, Gref did not explain where the government will find the extra
money to substantially raise the official pay of Russian chinovniki, whose
numbers have swollen since the demise of the Soviet Union. Nor did Gref
explain how a simple wage hike can make good Christians out of seasoned
Russian kleptocrats. For years the Russian Central Bank has been paying its
chinovniki on par with commercial bank executives, ostensibly to prevent
corruption. But is the Central Bank in fact corruption-free? The highly paid
Central Bank chinovniki have stationed billions of public funds with obscure,
offshore companies and done other disreputable things.

Is Gref serious when he insists that a "strong government" under Putin will
create "equal rules for all"? Or is this a liberal smoke screen?

Gref's public pronouncements are pathetic in their lack of detail.
Nevertheless, time and again Gref disclaims all possible responsibility for
future Putin policies. Gref said that "we have a patron [Putin] and we
[members of the Center for Strategic Projects] are just trying to figure out
what this patron actually wants." Gref also stated that "Putin's economic
program is being drafted by Putin's campaign staff, not by the Center for
Strategic Projects." If Putin is a true "reformer," as many Western officials
seem to indicate, what is Gref so afraid of?

Putin's election manifesto, published last week, is also vague on specific
details of future policies, but it did lay out some of what Putin stands for:
Russia is a "rich country of poor people" and Russia's two main problems, its
sources of weakness, are "lack of will" and "lack of firmness." This main
tune of Putin's manifesto sounds distinctly familiar: In the early 1930s in
Europe there was a "reformer" named Adolf Hitler, who believed that Germany
was a potentially rich country, but that Germans were maliciously robbed of
their wealth, and that the main source of German weakness was "lack of will."

Today Putin's "will" and "firmness" are displayed in Chechnya, where hundreds
of thousands of Russian citizens have been killed, tortured, robbed or
forcibly displaced. Putin also has stated that Chechnya "is the first step"
in establishing "a dictatorship of the law that is fair to all."

Gref stated last week that he is preparing for Putin a 10-year development
plan. He immediately began to mumble a disclaimer: "Well, of course, the
present Russian Constitution allows only two four-year presidential terms for
one man, so the same plan may be for eight years, not 10, if nothing changes,
you know." Gref knows it will change, of course. Two days later, Putin
spelled out the reform plan: The Constitution would be changed to expand
Russia's presidential term from four to seven years. After the March 26
presidential elections, one would expect, the Russian Constitution will be
rewritten through a referendum, and Putin could become in effect a president
for life with greatly enhanced centralized powers. Then all other citizens
will truly be "equal" in their insignificance, compared with Putin.

However, foreign investors need not worry too much. At least some of them
will comprise a privileged class in Putin's Russia, just as General Motors
and Ford did well in Nazi Germany. The only problem may be that regimes that
kill and torture thousands to impose "order" are never truly stable. Such
"thousand-year Reichs" tend to collapse rather early, even if their tax codes
are sound and their employment laws efficient.

FOREIGN INVESTMENT IN RUSSIA DROPS BY 18.8%

MOSCOW. March 1 (Interfax) - Foreign investment in the non-
financial sector of the Russian economy dropped by 18.8% from 1998 to
$9.56 million last year.
The State Committee for Statistics cited these figures Wednesday.
Direct investment in the Russian economy was worth $4.26 million
[44.6% of the total sum of investment]. From 1998, direct investment
grew by 26.7%, according to the figures quoted.
Portfolio investment in 1998 fell more than five fold to $31
million [0.3%] in 1999. Other investment comprised $5.26 billion [55.1%
of the total], a 35.9% decrease since 1998.
$29.25 billion worth of foreign investment had been saved in the
Russian economy by the end of 1999.

MOSCOW BLASTS U.S. STATE DEPARTAMENT HUMAN RIGHTS REPORT

MOSCOW. March 1 (Interfax) - The accusing tone of the U.S. State
Department's annual human rights report is unacceptable, the Russian
Foreign Ministry said.
In the report's section on Russia, its authorities are blamed for a
deteriorating situation concerning legal protection in several regions.
The Russian authorities were accused of human rights violations during
the anti-terrorist operation in the North Caucasus, the ministry said in
a statement obtained by Interfax on Wednesday.
The U.S. State Department "used unreliable, specially selected
information about the federal action in Chechnya," the statement reads.
The report "keeps quiet about the scale of illegal Chechen
terrorist activity. It called for the Russian authorities to implement
extraordinary measures to restore Constitutional order and protect
Russia's territorial integrity," the statement reads.
"The State Department ignored the fact that the anti-terrorist
operation was aimed at restoring human rights and legality in Chechnya."
"The accusing tone of the report is unacceptable, most notably its
attacks on the Russian Orthodox Church leadership. It demonstrates the
State Department's bias concerning the legal situation in Russia," the
statement says.
"Moreover, the report says nothing about the systematic and mass
human rights violations of tens of thousands of people in Latvia and
Estonia."
"The surprising thing is that the report does not have a section on
the human rights situation in the United States. According to a lot of
non-governmental organizations, it is far from perfect in the issues of
the death penalty, racial discrimination and anti-Semitism," the
statement reads.