February 25, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4131 4132

1. Reuters: Russian arms control envoy rules out changes to ABM.
2. AFP: Russia's Putin unveils crime-busting election platform.
3. Reuters: Putin calls for great, prosperous Russia.
4. AP: Concerns on Atrocities in Chechnya.
5. Moscow Times: Robert Coalson, Sobchak's Dubious Legacy.
6. AP: Source Unknown in N.Y. Bank Scandal.
7. Sarah Mendelson: Democracy Assistance Study.
8. Ray Thomas: RE: 4130-Albats/BONY Scam and Putin.
9. BBC MONITORING: RUSSIA IS NOT AN AGGRESSOR AND HAS NO PLANS TO BECOME ONE - SECURITY CHIEF.(Sergey Ivanov)
10. Ben Brodkin: Soviet dissidents.
11. Washington Post: Peter Bouckaert, The Real War Begins.(Chechnya)
12. Boston Globe: Kevin Cullen, NATO, Russia have trouble reconciling.
13. Jonathan Sanders: Afrika Evokes: The Soviet Schizophrenic Spirit, Installed in New York.]

Russian arms control envoy rules out changes to ABM

GENEVA, Feb 24 (Reuters) - A senior Russian arms control official on Thursday
condemned the proposed U.S. national missile defence system and ruled out
accepting any changes to the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty (ABM).

Vasily Sidorov, Russian ambassador to the U.N. Conference on Disarmament,
again urged the 66-member state forum to launch negotiations aimed at
preventing an arms race in outer space.

China's envoy, Hu Xiaodi, also slammed the proposed U.S. shield and urged
Washington to refrain from further testing.

Hu also said that the United States should stop seeking changes to the 1972
pact and should agree to launching the negotiations on outer space at the
world's only multilateral arms control body.

Diplomats say the United States is the only country blocking the required
consensus at the Geneva forum.

In bilateral talks with Russia, the United States is seeking amendments to
the landmark ABM treaty, which limits the types of systems which Russia and
the United States may deploy to intercept incoming missiles.

``Prevention of an arms race both in outer space and on Earth fully and
completely depends on the viability of the 1972 ABM treaty. Its regime
permits to prevent emergence of a whole class of space weapons, namely ABM
weapons,'' Sidorov said.

``We want to unambiguously state that the Russian side is not holding
negotiations on adaptation of the ABM treaty with the United States,'' he
said. ``We openly and frankly state that we will not take part in the
destruction of this fundamental document and in practical terms it is the
very existence of the Agreement that is actually at stake.''

Moscow's position had been ``reconfirmed once again'' during the visit of
U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright to Moscow earlier this month,
according to Sidorov.

Albright has told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee that she saw signs
of open-mindedness in arms control talks with Russian leaders including
Acting President Vladimir Putin.

The Pentagon is due to send a recommendation to U.S. President Bill Clinton
in June on whether to build a national missile defence system.

Clinton is under pressure from the Republican-led Congress to proceed quickly
with it so as to protect U.S. cities against attack from ``rogue states.''

Russia's Putin unveils crime-busting election platform

MOSCOW, Feb 25 (AFP) -
Russia's acting president Vladimir Putin on friday unveiled a populist
election manifesto, tough on crime and Chechen rebels, which he hopes will
push him to victory in next month's presidential poll.

In an "open letter" o electors published in the Izvestia daily, Putin said
Russia's two main problems were "the lack of will" and "the lack of firmness"
which notably allowed criminal gangs to develop throughout the country.

He espoused a "dictatorship of the law" to fight crime on all fronts in an
election platform short of surprises. Putin's main vote-winner among Russia's
electorate at the moment is the campaign being waged by Russian forces
against Chechen rebels.

"While we talk about the fight against crime... it is taking root everywhere,
to the extent that a republic of the Russian federation, Chechnya, has been
transformed into a fortress for the criminal underworld," he said

but the Russian army is defeating the "Chechen bandits" in a move towards
establishing "a dictatorship of the law which is fair to all".

"It's the first step, others will follow," Putin, the firm favourite to win
the March 26 presidential poll, added.

"Democracy, that's the dictatorship of the law," he stressed.

"Plus a strong government, plus personal freedom," he said, adding that the
rights of the individual would be respected.

The other priorities of his government he listed as: The fight against
poverty and the defence of Russia's new market economy against both criminal
and bureaucratic misdeeds.

"Only the country's real interests, in particular its economic interests,
will drive Russian foreign policy," said Putin, former president Boris
Yeltsin's handpicked heir apparent.

According to a recent opinion poll, 59 percent of Russian voters support
Putin, who, experts say, could take the presidential vote at the first round
on March 26.

Putin's aggressive stance towards rebels in Chechnya dominates his image.

US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright. after meeting Putin earlier this
month, described him as "a very well-informed person, a very good
interlocutor and a Russian patriot."

But Washington officials concede off the record that there is little concrete
evidence to suggest whether Putin is closer at heart to liberal economist
Yegor Gaidar or to Stalin.

Putin calls for great, prosperous Russia
By Ron Popeski

MOSCOW, Feb 24 (Reuters) - Acting President Vladimir Putin told voters on
Thursday that Russia was beset by the paradox of being a ``rich country of
poor people'' and said it was his ambition to create a strong, prosperous
country.

Putin, heavily favoured in next month's presidential election, pointed to
military successes in Chechnya as an example of how order might be restored.
And he said Russia had to focus on resolving its domestic problems, even at
the cost of pulling out of prestigious international projects.

``It was once said in Russia: 'Our country is rich but lacking in order.' No
one will ever again say that of us,'' Putin said in a page-long ``open
letter'' printed on Thursday evening in the daily Izvestia.

``We have to say out loud: we are a rich country of poor people, a country of
paradoxes, social, economic and cultural, rather than political in nature.''

Growing crime, he said, was a prime example of post-Soviet society falling
prey to disorder, particularly in Chechnya ``occupied by the criminal world
and turned into a fortress.''

``It was worth our while to confront and defeat the bandits. A real step
forward has been made towards the primacy of law and dictatorships of
legislation before which all are equal.''

Russians had nothing to fear from ensuring order in society: ``The stronger
the state, the freer the individual,'' he wrote.

Calls to proceed with the five-month-old military campaign in separatist
Chechnya and restore a measure of greatness have figured prominently in
Putin's pronouncements since taking over as acting president after Boris
Yeltsin's new year resignation.

Putin's standing in opinion polls far outstrips any of his 10 rivals taking
part in the March 26 poll.

Two polls published on Wednesday put him just below 60 percent, compared to
18 to 22 for Communist Party chief Gennady Zyuganov, his closest opponent.
But one analyst said his rating might be overstated and some surveys have
given him less than the 50 percent needed for outright victory in the first
round.

Other candidates are given little chance of doing better than single figures.

ZYUGANOV SAYS PUTIN HAS NO POLICIES

Zyuganov, campaigning at a Moscow theatre, repeated accusations that voters
knew nothing of Putin's policies. China, he said, had shown the example of a
country able to feed its people and ensure economic growth.

``Nothing has been said about whether property will be in the hands of a few
or belong to the people,'' he said in televised comments. ``Nothing has been
said about supporting domestic production or about solving our cultural
problems.''

Putin has promised to disclose by the end of the month a detailed electoral
platform, which is being drafted by a Moscow think tank.

In his open letter, he revealed few specific plans but said state control was
necessary to right Russia's economy, generate growth and persuade people that
``it is more worth their while to work honestly than to steal.''

He said Russia might have to opt out of international projects if it could
not afford them, but did not elaborate.

``If one or another international project is not profitable, however
appealing it may seem, we need not get involved,'' he wrote. ``If Russia is
pressed to deal with costly global matters while we are living in debt or are
unable to pay salaries, we will have to consider our options and perhaps put
matters off.''

Concerns on Atrocities in Chechnya
February 25, 2000
By JUDITH INGRAM

MOSCOW (AP) - Russian television broadcast footage today suggesting Russian
troops had committed atrocities against Chechens, as Europe's chief human
rights advocate met with top Russian officials over the war in the breakaway
republic.

The film, which was supplied by the German television station N24, showed a
pile of men's bodies in a ditch. The men's ankles were bound with wire, and
at least one of the bodies was missing an ear. It also showed soldiers
pushing a body wrapped in a blanket off a Russian armored vehicle, and a
military truck dragging a dead man across a field.

Russian TV networks said the pictures apparently showed captured Chechen
fighters whom Russian troops had tortured and killed.

Sergei Yatsrzhembsky, the chief presidential spokesman on Chechnya, called
the footage ``a very serious document that demands thorough study, first of
all regarding the circumstances of the Chechens' death.''

``The chief military prosecutor's office must definitely pay attention to
this video,'' he said.

But other Russian officials dismissed the footage as ``propaganda'' and ``a
falsification.''

``The authors of the TV report carried out a political order,'' said Oleg
Aksyonov, spokesman for Russia's Interior Ministry, according to the Interfax
news agency. He added that ``elementary logic suggests that if a crime were
committed, video recording was unlikely to be permitted.''

He said that the tape actually showed the burial of rebels killed in combat.

Russia's human rights commissioner, Oleg Mironov, called the tape ``another
propaganda trick by the rebels.''

``In the present situation, when the operations of Russian troops in Chechnya
are under unremitting control, hardly anyone would risk committing the
unlawful acts shown on the tape,'' Interfax quoted him as saying.

It was unclear just what control he was referring to. The Russian authorities
have so far made Chechnya off-limits to Russian and foreign human rights
groups, and they have tried to heavily restrict journalists' movements.

The Council of Europe's human rights commissioner, Alvaro Gil-Robles, has
requested permission to visit Chechnya. He met today with Foreign Minister
Igor Ivanov, the newly appointed human rights commissioner for Chechnya,
Vladimir Kalamanov, and Mironov.

The Russians and the Chechens have regularly traded accusations of barbarity,
with each side claiming the other's fighters are torturing and mutilating
their opponents. The two sides have also accused each other of mistreating
civilians, using them as human shields, looting their property and summarily
executing them.

Foreign governments have concentrated their criticism on Russian treatment of
civilians. They have protested alleged war crimes including three civilian
massacres documented by international human rights groups and the alleged
torture of Chechen detainees in so-called filtration camps. Moscow has
angrily denied the allegations.

********

Moscow Times
February 25, 2000
MEDIA WATCH: Sobchak's Dubious Legacy
By Robert Coalson

My mother-in-law burst into tears when she heard last weekend that former St.
Petersburg Mayor Anatoly Sobchak had died. She herself was surprised by the
force of her reaction to the news, since she - like millions of average
Russians - has lost virtually all interest in politics over the last few
years.

For her, as for so many others, Sobchak personified an era of lofty and
as-yet unrealized dreams.

In the days since his death, all the local and central media have commented
on the irony of his journey from the heights of popularity in the late '80s
and '90s to his lost re-election bid for mayor in 1996 and his ignominious
months as an exile in Paris in 1998 and 1999.

His admirers repeated their praise of him as an honest and principled
democrat, while his political enemies resurrected their charges of
corruption. Average citizens were left with their natural compassion for a
man who has died too young, but with precious little sense of who he really
was, what he really set out to do and what, in the end, he managed to
achieve.

At the risk of seeming hard-hearted, I cannot help but think that Sobchak
himself bears much of the blame for the fact that he left no clear legacy.

Although he fervently believed in the rule of law and free-market economics,
he simply did not trust the true foundation of democracy: an open information
society.

Either from vanity or from a desire for expedience (or, most likely, from a
combination of both), Sobchak was only too pleased to maintain the political
control of the media that he inherited from the Soviet system. As a principal
author of the Russian Constitution and as mayor of the country's
second-largest city with an enormous popular mandate, Sobchak had the best
opportunity of allto initiate the process of institutionalizing freedom of
the press here. Instead, he kept municipal newspapers and broadcast outlets
firmly under his control and did nothing to enable private media to become
financially viable. His administration was opaque.

I don't mean to say that things necessarily would have turned out
differently. Sobchak himself was aware of the burden of the Soviet legacy.
"We are trying to build a democratic society in Russia on the basis of
resources that are totally inappropriate for that," he said once, even before
he had become mayor. "I mean our upbringing, our convictions and prejudices,
our legal and economic system."

But I don't think he realized the extent to which he himself was a victim of
Soviet political culture. That culture prevented him from understanding that
democracy is not a gift that benevolent leaders can hand down to the people,
but a messy process of popular consensus-building based on reliable access to
information.

It is sadly telling that Sobchak, perhaps the person who most deserves the
title of author of the Russian Constitution, fled the country when faced with
charges of corruption, knowing that he could never get a fair trial within
the system he helped create. The power of the state-controlled media, which
had passed into the hands of his political enemies, was easily sufficient to
overwhelm the legal process.

"Journalism," as the clichÎ goes, "is the first rough draft of history." In
the case of Sobchak and in the case of the entire post-Soviet period, that
rough draft simply was not written. As a result, I fear, we will never really
understand the achievements and failures of this period. We won't learn from
the mistakes that were made, and we will not appreciate the greatness of
people like Sobchak.

Personally, I suspect that Sobchak was as close to a truly heroic personality
as we are likely to find among post-Soviet politicians. I think that the mere
fact that he was an incumbent who lost an election and surrendered power
indicates that he was unwilling to stoop to tactics that many Russian
politicians consider "just part of the game."

But we will never really know. On the door of the St. Petersburg apartment
building where Sobchak lived, an anonymous admirer has posted a poem that
ends with the words, "The Lord is with him - and so is the truth." And that
is the tragedy: If only he could have left the truth behind with us.

Robert Coalson is a program director for the National Press Institute. The
views expressed here are not necessarily those of NPI.

Source Unknown in N.Y. Bank Scandal
By Vladimir Isachenkov
Associated Press Writer
Feb. 24, 2000

MOSCOW Russian police are continuing to probe the banks that allegedly
helped launder $7 billion through the Bank of New York, but have yet to
determine the source of the money, a top investigator said in an interview
published Thursday.

Alexander Mikhailenko, the head of the Interior Ministry's department for
combating money laundering, said there is no evidence to back allegations
that some of the money funneled abroad belonged to the Russian mob or
companies trying to dodge taxes.

"Tax evasion or laundering of criminal proceeds don't figure in the case
yet," Mikhailenko said in the interview in the daily Vremya MN.

Mikhailenko said that the probe involves the Russian banks Flamingo, DKB
and Sobinbank.

"We are trying to find the sources of the money and conditions of their
transfer," he said.

The Bank of New York case, which began to unravel in August, entered a new
stage last week when a former Bank of New York executive and her husband
pleaded guilty to money-laundering charges.

Lucy Edwards, the bank's former Eastern European Division vice president,
and Peter Berlin admitted helping Russian bankers wash the billions through
accounts at the bank in order to avoid Russian taxes and cover up the
money's connection to crimes including money used as ransom for a
kidnapping in Russia.

Mikhailenko said his department had cooperated with U.S. investigators who
came to Russia last fall to question some people in the case, and
complained that the Americans failed to provide any information about the
testimony by Edwards and Berlin.

"It means that we are carrying out our own investigation, while they are
carrying out theirs," he said.

The DKB and Flamingo banks have gone out of business, but two prominent
Russian banks that were linked to them, Sobinbank and MDM, are still on the
scene.

Alexander Mamut, who had close ties with former President Boris Yeltsin's
inner circle, was a Sobinbank board member who later took the helm of MDM.
He has denied any wrongdoing.

MDM released a statement Thursday saying it has had no dealings with either
DKB or Flamingo since 1996, when MDM briefly owned shares in both banks.
Even then, MDM's role in those banks didn't involve any say in their
financial activities, the statement read.

At the same time, MDM acknowledged that in 1996 it regularly transferred
money to its account with the Bank of New York on behalf of Sobinbank.
Sobinbank at the time didn't have its own account with BONY and had to act
through MDM, the statement said.

MDM said it would invite an international auditor to confirm its claims.