February 7, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4093

1. AP: Angela Charlton, War Not the Only Positive for Putin.
2. Reuters: Interfax - Putin says Chechnya operation is over.
3. BBC MONITORING: Russia TV: RUSSIAN BANKER SAYS PUTIN LOYAL TO MARKET REFORMS.
4. The Sunday Times (UK): Mark Franchetti in Grozny, Empty victory in fallen Grozny. Russians win Chechen battle but not the war.
5. Yale Richmond: Feeding Ancestor Spirits.
6. Reuters: Yeltsin reads, listens to music in retirement.
7. BBC MONITORING: NTV, PUTIN'S THINK-TANK PLANS AHEAD FOR TWO PRESIDENTIAL TERMS.
8. AP: US Urged To Closely Eye Russia Nukes.
9. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Albert Valentinov, "The Impossible Is Becoming Possible: Academician Yevgeniy Velikhov, Well-Known Scientist and Public Figure, Says Russian Science Has Accomplished Remarkable Achievements and Ranks Today Among the Best in the World"
10. Reuters: Sebastian Alison, East Siberian winter need not be feared.]

War Not the Only Positive for Putin
February 6, 2000
By ANGELA CHARLTON

MOSCOW (AP) - Moscow's popular war in Chechnya helped land Vladimir Putin
where he is today - leading Russia and dominating the race for presidential
elections. But his electoral chances don't hinge on the war alone.

Analysts and pollsters say voters are unlikely to dump Putin, even if he
doesn't declare victory in the conflict by election day or if Russian
casualties continue climbing.

Russians look set to vote for Putin, acting president and by far the
country's most popular politician, for many reasons besides the war. Some
Russians like Putin's tough image, or the way he has stood up to Western
criticism, or his recently announced pension increase.

Or else they don't see any other potential candidate worth voting for.

Although rebel forces pulled out of the Chechen capital Grozny this week, the
war is not likely to end soon. Yet there is little or no sign that the
Russian military's uneven performance has dented public support for the war.
Besides, observers say that voters won't necessarily hold Putin responsible
if the offensive sours.

``They have many reasons to like him, and his PR people can blame the
generals,'' said Yelena Petrenko, deputy director of the Public Opinion Fund
Russian polling agency.

Since Boris Yeltsin resigned from the presidency on Dec. 31, Putin has proven
he can do more than wage war. He has raised teachers' and doctors' wages. He
has boosted spending for the bedraggled military. He has faced down criticism
by international lenders, U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright and
Europe's leading human rights organization.

Yet many questions remain about what Putin, an ex-KGB agent with little
governing experience, would do as Russian president on March 26. He talks
vaguely of economic reforms, but his only clear policy goal is reviving
Russia as a great power. Critics fear he could crack down on freedoms
Russians won with the 1991 Soviet collapse.

But most Russians, wearied by years of economic decline and hungry for strong
and capable leadership, see hope in Putin's vigorous, problem-solving image.
Putin has shown he is not Yeltsin, whom most Russians revile or ridicule for
his temperamental governing style and repeated illnesses.

Even Albright seemed to warm to Putin during a recent Moscow visit. She
complimented him as a ``very good interlocutor'' and a Russian patriot with a
``problem-solving approach.''

Putin's popularity has plateaued recently, with various polls showing about
55 percent of Russians say they would choose him for president.

``No Russian politician has been so popular in the past decade. It's almost
physically impossible for him to gain any more support,'' Petrenko said.
``Bringing Putin down would take a massive force. Even a considerable drop
would not hurt his (presidential) chances.''

His strongest challenger in the presidential race, Communist leader Gennady
Zyuganov, has just 14 percent to 20 percent support, according to polls. And
the man seen as Putin's only serious threat, former Premier Yevgeny Primakov,
said Friday he wouldn't run for president.

Still, the Kremlin seems keen to wrap up the Chechnya fighting by voting day,
fearing a public backlash if it drags on too long.

``There's always a fear that the public will tire of the war, but this
exhaustion won't have time to take root before the elections,'' said
Vyacheslav Nikonov, a former Kremlin aide who now heads the Politika think
tank.

After weeks of frustrated efforts to seize Grozny, Russian troops made swift
progress this past week in wresting the city from rebels.

But the advance came after about 3,000 rebels escaped the city, busting
through a Russian blockade. While many rebels were killed, many more made it
past the Russians to join fellow fighters in the mountains and keep the war
going.

Growing piles of Russian soldiers' corpses would seem to pose the biggest
risk to Putin's popularity. Public opposition to the last war centered on the
high death toll and helped prompt the withdrawal of federal troops.

This time, Russians have rallied behind the offensive because they fear the
violence that blossomed in and around Chechnya since the last war. And
government control of media coverage of the war has helped sustain support.

Most Russians are watching the war ``through the prism of state television,
which tells them what they want to hear, about victories,'' said Nikonov.

********

Interfax - Putin says Chechnya operation is over

MOSCOW, Feb 6 (Reuters) - Interfax news agency quoted Acting President
Vladimir Putin on Sunday as saying the military operation in Chechnya had
ended, nearly five months after he sent troops into the rebel region to crush
Islamic separatists.

Itar-Tass news agency carried the same report but neither agency immediately
made clear where Putin was speaking. Russian troops have taken control of
Grozny, the Chechen capital, over the past few days and most rebel fighters
have retreated into the mountains of southern Chechnya.

``Just a short time ago, the last stronghold of the terrorists' resistance
(in Grozny) was taken -- the Zavodsky district of the city -- and the Russian
flag has been hoisted over one of the administrative buildings,'' Interfax
quoted Putin as saying.

``So we can say that the operation for the freeing of Grozny has ended,'' he
added. Army commanders have said the focus of their military operation has
moved to the southern mountains.

Interfax said Putin's comments were part of an interview he gave to ORT
public television. ORT told Reuters the whole interview would be broadcast on
Monday evening.

Putin has become Russia's most popular politician on the back of the Chechnya
campaign. He has vowed to wipe out the rebels and bring the province firmly
back into Moscow's fold. The campaign, which has turned more than 200,000
people into refugees, has drawn strong international criticism.

BBC MONITORING
RUSSIAN BANKER SAYS PUTIN LOYAL TO MARKET REFORMS
Source: Russia TV channel, Moscow, in Russian 1500 gmt 06 Feb 00

[Presenter] Hello. The once so popular Davos forum is over. A representative
of the Russian business circles, Vneshekonombank Chairman Andrey Kostin
attended it. He has his own impressions of the forum...

An American woman journalist asked the question there [in Davos]: What is
[acting President] Vladimir Putin like and what can be expected of him?..

[A] I think that Putin stands for market economy not only in his thoughts. I
think that he has a number of personal qualities that will provide for the
political and volitional support for this. By volitional I don't mean the
command-and-administrative methods advocated by Primakov's team. I mean that
Putin will ensure the creation of all the necessary rules and regulations and
their strict execution.

[Q] I don't think that anyone doubts Putin's volitional qualities. As for his
market mentality you are talking about, don't you have a feeling that both
liberal politicians and economists are now trying to embrace Putin in a way
saying: "We are market advocates". Why are you so sure that he stands for
market economy?

[A]... If a politician reflects society's interests and follows the world
development tendencies he can't actually turn off this road. I think that
Putin is such a politician. And the guarantees are the regular guarantees
that a democratic society can give...

I think than any other policy will just fail in Russia and Putin can't but
realize it. I don't think that there is any reason to believe that he is of a
different opinion...

********

The Sunday Times (UK)
Empty victory in fallen Grozny
Russians win Chechen battle but not the war
Mark Franchetti, Grozny

MOVING slowly towards the blackened sky above Grozny, nothing could have
prepared me for the spectacle of complete devastation as we entered the
fallen Chechen capital aboard a Russian armoured personnel carrier.

After sustaining four months of the heaviest bombardment in Russia since the
second world war, the scene last week was apocalyptic. Thick plumes of black
smoke rose from the centre in a grey haze, rendering the city almost
invisible.

During a four-hour drive through the outskirts and into the heart of the
city, we did not pass a single building left intact. Every house, apartment
block and shop bore the scars of air and artillery bombardment.

The last of the estimated 2,000 Chechen rebels who had been holed up in
Grozny finally left last week, abandoning the city to the Russian invaders.
The war has now moved to the mountains in the south, on the border with
Georgia, from which the rebels fought a successful guerrilla war against the
Kremlin's forces in the previous conflict from 1994-96.

Valery Manilov, first deputy chief of the Russian general staff, confirmed
yesterday that his troops were being redeployed towards the south. "As the
task of freeing Grozny from bandit groups is carried out, it allows us to
complete their routing and liquidation in the mountainous regions," he said.

Russian forces continued their fierce air and artillery attacks on villages
in the west of the republic where scores of rebels, who had left the capital,
were believed to have sought refuge.

As the generals celebrated the fall of the Chechen capital by raising the
red, white and blue flag in front of camera crews, it was difficult to
disguise the fact that they had conquered a city that no longer exists.

The muddy side streets leading through to Minutka Square, a strategically
important junction on the outskirts of the city that the Russians took after
10 days of fierce fighting, were lined by the remains of what had once been
simple, but comfortable, single-storey houses.

Many had been reduced to rubble, their high metal gates riddled with holes.
"People live here" was the message painted on the remains of one gate. On the
square itself the high-rise apartment blocks, that had until recently been a
haven for Chechen snipers, had been gutted by a relentless barrage of heavy
artillery.

Some had entire floors blown off; others were split down the middle to reveal
the inside of flats where radiators and bath tub were left dangling
precariously - the only reminder that they had once been a home.

Personal possessions lay scattered along the side of the roads, mingled with
empty artillery shells. Pitch-black tree trunks poked out of the ground like
sticks. Some houses were still burning. What remained of the streets was
peppered with bomb craters.

Russian soldiers, faces black with dirt, rested in the mud, huddled around
camp fires and leaning against dozens of launchers pointed towards Minutka.
Adding to the surreal air, some slouched on looted sofas in the middle of the
empty square.

"The city is almost completely under our control," said Viktor Kazantsev, the
burly Russian general leading the war, as he strolled through the rubble
surrounded by his deputies and heavily armed guards. In the distance the
sound of automatic gunfire crackled across the city.

"There is still some fighting in two districts, but it is a matter of days
before we win it all. We are liberating the city and its people from years of
slavery. The Chechen bandits are now out of here and we are destroying them
on the outskirts.

"They are cornered. They are the ones who carried out much of the destruction
but the city will be rebuilt. At least now people here can walk around
freely."

As we moved towards the heart of Grozny, his words sounded increasingly
empty.The Chechen capital is in Russian hands, but it is difficult to see
what Moscow can do with it. Most of it will probably have to be bulldozed.
Privately, even Russian officers concede it will be much harder to rebuild
life there than it was to take it.

Prospekt Lenina, once a bustling central avenue lined with shops along its
three mile-length, was deserted. Several huge craters marked the spot where
the road had taken direct hits from Russian aviation.

Chechen graffiti urging the rebels to resist was sprayed inside a road tunnel
on the spot where a Russian general survived a bomb blast during the last
conflict. Open manholes marked the entrances to the city's sewage system,
used by Chechen fighters to carry out ambushes on Russian tank columns. Many
of the buildings were believed to have been mined by the Chechens before they
retreated en masse.

It had been estimated that as many as 40,000 civilians were trapped inside
Grozny at the height of the Russian assault. This now appears to have been
exaggerated; most appear to have long since fled, either to towns or villages
elsewhere in the republic or across the border of the neighbouring republic
of Ingushetia.

Apart from thousands of Russian soldiers patrolling the streets aboard tanks
and armoured personnel carriers - some decorated with pirate flags and bull
horns - Grozny is now a ghost town.

Those few civilians who have stayed behind are still too scared to venture
out on the streets. At 70 Dragayev Street, the only sign of life was a dirty
white flag hanging from the entrance of a bombed-out apartment block. But as
we stumbled in the dark down to the cellar, guarded by a Russian sniper, a
faint voice came from the bowels of the building.

Hava Bakanayeva, 75, a gaunt and exhausted Chechen woman left partially deaf
from four months of heavy bombing, emerged from her hide-out crying with joy
at the sight of outsiders. "I haven't seen daylight for weeks," she said, as
she sat with her few possessions in a dingy cellar lit by oil lamps and
secured with sandbags.

"For three months my husband and I have moved from cellar to cellar. There is
no water, no electricity, hardly any food except for a few potatoes and some
home-made bread.

"We live in terror, scared of Russian bombs and Chechen alike. We have
nowhere to go: no money, no car. Please let this be the end. I don't care
where, just let me out of this hell."

Hearing foreign voices her neighbours, too, began to emerge. Ghostly, pale
figures, their desperate expressions summing up their ordeal.

"My husband was executed by the Russians when they came," said Gabari,
sobbing and shivering hysterically as she held Muganev, her 20- month-old
baby, in her arms. "They put us against the wall, searched us and singled out
my husband, accused him of being a rebel and shot him."

There could not be a more potent symbol of the devastation of Grozny than the
sight of Dzhokar Square, named after Dzhokar Dudayev, the former Chechen
president and rebel leader who was killed by the Russians during the last
Chechen war.

A grand presidential palace once stood here, although it was razed during the
fierce street battles of the previous war. Last week the square was a muddy
wasteland scarred by bomb craters and the shells that still poked out of the
ground.

Amid all this devastation, as the sound of gunfire echoed across the square
and smoke filled the air, the battle for Grozny seemed as pointless as ever -
a pyrrhic victory that cost thousands of lives.

"I am sad for the civilians who have suffered so much here but I am happy
about the city," said Zegei, 30, a Russian sniper who fought in Grozny during
the last Chechen war. "This is not their land. It is ours and now we have it
back.

"It's the second time I am here and I have no doubt that in three years' time
all this will start again. It will never be the end. We will be back."