January 15, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4037 4038 4039

1. Interfax: Poll: Russians assess negatively Yeltsin role.
2. AFP: Eleven Journalists Killed In Russia In 1999.
3. Trud: EVERY THIRD RUSSIAN SAYS: IT'S MY TIME. (Poll on Russians' political views)
4. Reuters: Russia sees increased grain harvest in 2000.
5. Interfax: RUSSIA'S RELIANCE ON NUCLEAR ARMS LOGICAL - EXPERT.
6. St. Petersburg Times: Anna Shcherbakova, Despite Reforms, Much Stays The Same.
7. Moscow Tribune: Stanislav Menshikov, THE ROUBLE SHOULD NOT COLLAPSE. Putin's First Economic Priority.
8. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Roy Mevedev, The New Duma -- New And Old Features.
9. Andrew Miller: Boris Berezovsky and Vladimir Putin.]

Poll: Russians assess negatively Yeltsin role

MOSCOW. Jan 14 (Interfax) - As many as 67% of Russians believe that
Boris Yeltsin's stunt as president did Russia more harm than good, 15% are
of the opposite opinion and 18% do not have an answer. The poll was held
among 1,600 adults by the VTsIOM all-Russia polling organization on
January 10, and its results were presented to Interfax on Friday. The
margin of error is 4%. The respondents were offered a list of possible
answers to what good Russia had received from Yeltsin's presidency, and
23% named democracy, political rights and liberties including free
elections, the freedom of speech, worship and going abroad.

In the opinion of 16%, Yeltsin's rule eliminated food shortages and
queues, 13% mentioned the appearance of private property, the
possibility to start a business and achieve wellbeing. A total of 12%
said it was due to him that the energetic and talented had received
space for activity, 10% praised the ousting of the Communists from power,
7% the breaching of Russia's isolation and an improvement in relations
with the West, and as many the collapse of the totalitarian system and an
end to the state's interference with people's private lives.

A hope for Russia's revival was cited by 5%, an increase in the quality
of goods and services by 4% and the elimination of the threat of a new world
war by 3%. Nothing good was said by 46%, and 8% did not give an answer.
Asked about the negative aspects of the Yeltsin era, 40% named the economic
crisis and the production slump, 36% the closure of factories and mass
unemployment, 34% the 19946 war in Chechnya, 34% a deterioration in the
living conditions and purchasing power of most Russians, and 32% inflation
and the devaluation of savings. As many as 31% blamed him for the break-up
of the Soviet Union, 28% the penetration of criminals into the power
structure, as many for the embezzlement of government property, 26% for pay
delays and 19% for the downfall of public education, health and welfare
systems. Lack of political stability and conflicts in the upper echelons
of power are viewed as negative features of Yeltsin's presidency by 16%,
more space for swindlers and embezzlers by 15%, an uncertain future by
15%, Russia's loss of great-power status by 11%, and increased foreign
influence by 7%. Nothing bad was said by 2%, and 4% did not have an answer.

Eleven Journalists Killed In Russia In 1999

MOSCOW, Jan 14, 2000 -- (Agence France Presse) Eleven journalists were killed
last year in Russia, and independent reporters are increasingly at risk
covering election campaigns, a media watchdog said Thursday.

Three of those killed in 1999 died in Chechnya, said a report from the
Glasnost Defense Foundation. The 1999 death toll was down from 14 killed in
Russia in 1998.

"The figures are relatively stable from one year to the next, but the work of
a journalist is getting more dangerous, especially during election
campaigns," said foundation spokesman Oleg Panfilov.

Fourteen journalists had been attacked in the run-up to legislative elections
on December 19, he added.

"Independent journalists that authorities cannot tame are beaten up," said
Panfilov.

Trud
January 14, 2000
[translation from RIA Novosti for personal use only]
EVERY THIRD RUSSIAN SAYS: IT'S MY TIME
By Vitaly GOLOVACHEV

The VTsIOM national public opinion research
institution conducted a regular representative poll on
December 31, 1999 through January 4, 2000.
The results of the poll are summarised, in
percent, and compared with the results of previous
probes, below.

Question: What political system do you think is the best?
1997 1998 2000
Pre-1990s' Soviet system 38 43 45
Today's system 11 5 13
Western-style democracy 28 32 29
Others 8 7 5
Don't know 15 13 8
Question: Which of the following statements would you
subscribe to?
1999 2000
Now is my time 17 33
My time is past 38 34
My time is yet to come 21 23
Don't know 24 10
Question: What is democracy as you see it? (The sum of
answers exceeds 100%, because respondents could
give several replies.)
Freedom of speech, the press and conscience 37
The country's economic prosperity 33
Electivity of all top state officials 15
Freedom to do what one likes to 10
Subordination of a minority to the majority 6
Guaranteed rights of minorities 5
Strict legality 29
Order and stability 28
Anarchy 6
A lot of 'hot air' 10
Other 1
Don't know 8

The results of the latest polls are indicative of a deep
ideological rift in society. The bad mistakes of the eight reform
years that have led to scaled and persistent poverty are the
reason why the number of the disillusioned, who see the former
'Soviet' system better than today's against, the background of
their misfortunes, has grown.
At the same time, one cannot fail to note that the number of
those who like today's system has grown 150% in the past two
years. This steep rise is explained, in particular, by the fact
that more and more people get adapted and find the means of
firmly standing on their two feet even in the current complicated
conditions.
Positive visions of today's system were expressed by 13% of
the polled. As many as 29% of respondents believe that the
'Western-style democracy' is the best. In all, 42% of Russians
favour democratic transformations. This is a lot for a bad
crisis. Now if and when positive trends become more visible in
the economy and the social sphere, their number would naturally
grow.
Table 2 is no less graphic. The number of Russians who say:
"Now is my time!" has nearly doubled in a year. Every third
respondent gave this answer ten days ago. A quarter of the polled
believe their time is yet to come, and 34% fear that their time
is past. It seems that the majority of the latter are pensioners.
Last but not least, it is important that many Russians
understand democracy as freedom of speech, the press and
conscience; as the country's economic prosperity; as legality,
order and stability... and only 6%-10% hold that democracy is
anarchy and a lot of 'hot air'.

Russia sees increased grain harvest in 2000
By Douglas Busvine

BERLIN, Jan 14 (Reuters) - Russian First Deputy Agriculture Minister Anatoly
Mikhalyov said on Friday he expected the Russian grain harvest to rise this
year to between 60 and 65 million tonnes from last year's 54.7 million.

Mikhalyov, speaking to Reuters at a farm fair in Berlin, said the area sown
to grain would be unchanged on last year.

"We do not plan to increase the planted area but rather make better use of
the land available," he said in an interview.

Leading Russian agricultural analyst Andrei Sizov said in Moscow that the
forecast seemed reasonable.

"The estimate is very early, of course, but it's an absolutely reasonable
figure," he said.

Russia has had exceptionally poor harvests in the last two years, collecting
just 47.8 million tonnes in 1998, the lowest in over 40 years. This followed
a healthy 88.5 million tonnes in 1997.

"Statistically in Russia two bad years are followed by one good year," Sizov
said.

"For example 1995 and 1996 were poor, but 1997 saw a good harvest. 1998 and
1999 were bad, so 2000 may be a good year."

There were other reasons for optimism that the cash-strapped farm sector
would enjoy better fortunes this year, he said.

Winter grains were in a far better state now than at this time a year ago,
with snow cover across European Russia and a lack of extreme cold so far this
winter providing ideal growing conditions.

Sizov added that on January 27, Acting President Vladimir Putin would host a
meeting to discuss ways of improving conditions in the farming sector.

He is expected to discuss writing off debts, compensating farmers for 30
percent of the cost of seeds, and extending a measure to compensate farmers
for 40 percent of the cost of fertiliser, pesticides and other inputs.

Mikhalyov confirmed that this rebate on inputs, in force for the past two
years, would remain in place this year.

He also told a news conference earlier that Russia would attain
self-sufficiency in grain for human consumption this year but would seek to
import feed grain from both the European Union and the United States.

Asked whether Russia would require further Western food aid, Mikhalyov was
dismissive of the quality of earlier assistance: "What do we need
dioxin-tainted beef for?" he said.

Despite optimism that this year's harvest will improve, official forecasts
have proved woefully wrong in the past.

This time last year the ministry said Russia would collect at least 70
million tonnes, but a catalogue of misfortunes including drought, locust
attacks and, above all, a lack of cash for fuel and inputs, saw this slide
inexorably as the year wore on.

(Additional reporting by Sebastian Alison in Moscow)

RUSSIA'S RELIANCE ON NUCLEAR ARMS LOGICAL - EXPERT

MOSCOW. Jan 14 (Interfax) - Deputy Director of the Russian
Strategic Analysis Center Konstantin Makiyenko considers it quite
logical that Russia allow itself to use nuclear weapons, even in
response to a non-nuclear attack.
"Today, probably for the first time since the 18th century, Russia
is surrounded along the entire perimeter of its border by countries that
are developing ever more dynamically, in the military sphere as well,"
Makiyenko said in a Friday interview with Interfax on the new version of
the national security concept.
"For the first time since the 18th century, China has military
superiority over Russia, to say nothing of the West," Makiyenko said.
"Very few people in Russia have realized that even Turkey today has
in fact a military potential comparable and probably even superior to
Russia's," he said.
"So, nuclear arms are really our last resort on the whole," he
said, and the "general purpose troops in Russia are in a rather poor
state."
"Evidently, out of the 1.2 million people that are nominally in the
armed forces only 70-80 thousand are combat-ready. Such a grouping is
insufficient even to effectively oppose the separatist rebellion in
Chechnya," Makiyenko said.
Russia's reliance on nuclear arms in guaranteeing its defense is
therefore quite natural and logical.
He said he disagrees with Western media reports claiming the new
concept's provisions are a sign of a return to Cold War times.
"The Russian people, and I think the Russian political elite as
well, are simply psychologically unprepared for confrontation with the
West," he said, adding that Russia had completely depleted its reserves
of confrontation in the 20th century.
In reality, "Western countries do not regard Russia as an equal
partner," Makiyenko said.
"This became especially evident during the events in Kosovo," he
said.
After the NATO air attacks on Yugoslavia, "it is not possible to
speak of any partnership" between Russia and the West, he opined.
"Who can now guarantee that in 20 years Russia will not find itself
in the same position as Yugoslavia [was]?" he said.
"Twenty years ago, in 1979, nobody would have probably believed it
if told that NATO air forces would be bombing Yugoslavia. Why shouldn't
we be thinking now of what will happen to us in 20 years? So it is not
Russia that is refusing partnership with the West, but the West itself,"
Makiyenko concluded.

********

St. Petersburg Times
January 14, 2000
Despite Reforms, Much Stays The Same
By Anna Shcherbakova

THERE are optimists who say that market reforms in Russia have brought only
positive changes to the entire economy and to the life of each and every
person. To justify this argument for the liberalization of the economy,
they point out that shops, for the first time ever, are full to bursting
with goods.

Recently I discovered the depth to which I also agreed with these extremely
liberal views, something which took me by surprise one day. It hit me on
the last day of 1999, when I was standing in line waiting to pay my mobile
telephone bill at the only local cash office open during the holiday
season. All the others were closed for vacations, so this one was flooded
with handling customers from all over the city.

During my wait, I tried to remember how long it had been since I had not
had to stand in line to purchase something and I could not think of one
recent instance. Although 10 years have passed since the old Communist days
when people mobbed food stores, awaiting the arrival of milk or sausages,
some things have still not changed even with the advent of a new economy. I
remember one evening in particular in the dark winter of 1991, when I had
to keep going back and forth between two lines in a bakery and dairy store.
There was no hunger in St. Petersburg at that time, it was just that
shopping was a very time-consuming practice.

And this didn't just pertain to comestibles, it extended to other goods as
well, such as new stylish Italian or Austrian leather boots, which if my
memory serves me right were only available at Gostiny Dvor department store
on Mondays and Thursdays.

Now this scarcity of goods remains only a distant memory, today's teenagers
can't even imagine or relate to there being a dearth of Nabokov's books or
chewing gum in the city. I hope I don't sound like a pensioner with these
10-year-old recollections - a time that I am sure will not return under any
circumstances.

I was reminded about scarcity, known in Russian as defitsit, when I failed
to find a new calendar to fit into my reliable old organizer in any of the
city stores. It was early 1999, and I had suffered all year long without a
proper calendar and had promised myself that this year would be different.
This year, I started my search earlier and found an excellent
Russian-language one that fitted perfectly into my German-made organizer. I
couldn't help but be pleased with my purchase and the fact that a local
Russian company had been able to fill this market niche.

However, nothing is really ever new. For various reasons, I found myself
looking through our family archive, where I found an old leather-bound
notebook with the faint outline of the number 1900 on its cover. It
probably belonged to my great grandfather, who was a merchant in St.
Petersburg, since it was filled with a calendar - similar to the one I had
been looking for - and financial data such as a ruble exchange rate of 1.3
to the U.S. dollar and loan interest of three to six percent a year. At
times like these, I find myself wishing to be back in the past despite my
liberal views.