December 29, 1999
This Date's Issues:3712  3713

1. Reuters: Russian court acquits Russian environmentalist. (Nikitin)
2. Trud: WHAT MAKES LIFE HARDER. (Poll)
3. Reuters: Russia has mountain to climb to fix economy - Putin.
4. Moscow Times: Yevgenia Borisova, 'Liberated' Chechnya Far From Orderly.
5. Martin Malia: Re Jonas Bernstein's letter, JRL #3709.
6. Press Trust of India: Vinay Shukla, Russia set to complete a century
full of blood and sweat.

7. Boston Globe: David Filipov, Displaced Chechens fear Russia reprisals.
8. Itar-Tass: Sergeyev Says Chechnya Action Successful, in Last Stretch.
9. New York Times: Joseph Kahn, U.S. Backs Away From Bid to Cut Off Aid
to Russia.

10. Washington Post: David Ignatius, The Rodhams, Back in Georgia.]

Russian court acquits Russian environmentalist

ST PETERSBURG, Russia, Dec 29 (Reuters) - A Russian court acquitted former
Russian naval captain Alexander Nikitin on Wednesday of charges that he had
revealed state secrets while working for a Norwegian environmental group.

Judge Sergei Golets said the accusations of treason and espionage brought
against Nikitin were a violation of the Russian constitution because they
were based on secret orders from the Defence Ministry which he could not have
known about.

``The use of these orders is a direct violation of the constitution of the
Russian Federation,'' said Golets, noting that a law on state secrets only
came into effect after Nikitin's arrest in February 1996.

Nikitin's supporters broke into applause after Golets announced the verdict
at the city court of St Petersburg, Russia's second city.

``This is very good news for Russia,'' said Nikitin, who was arrested after
he drew up a report for the Norwegian group Bellona on radioactive pollution
by Russia's Northern Fleet.

Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB), a successor body of the Soviet-era
KGB, can still appeal against Wednesday's ruling. Environmentalists have
accused the FSB of prolonging the court case in order to hush up Nikitin's
embarrassing revelations.

Trud
December 29, 1999
[translation from RIA Novosti for personal use only]
WHAT MAKES LIFE HARDER
By Vitaly GOLOVACHEV

The Russian National Public Opinion Center (VTSIOM)
conducted another survey in the last two weeks of December. The
topics it covered included social ones, as the respondents were
asked to give answers to the question featured as headline here.
The following table shows the distribution of various responses
as percentage of the total number of those polled; the summary
value may exceed 100 percent because the respondents were allowed
to give several answers.
Table.

1994 1998 1999
Low income 68 75 71
Health problems, poor availability
of health care 27 31 29
Frustration, gloomy prospects 22 27 29
Everyday life problems 21 25 24
Fear of losing job 24 19 22
Impossibility of ensuring good
education for children 9 12 19
Bad housing 15 13 14
Lack of spare time 11 9 10
Lack of accord in the family 4 4 4
A family member's drinking 6 4 3
Don't know 6 2 4

The results of this survey suggest that no serious
improvement has occurred in the lives of the Russians over the
past five years. More than two-thirds of the population keep
complaining of poor incomes. Today, just like in the previous
years, tens of millions of Russians refer to it as their
number-one problem. Number two is health and poor availability of
medical services. Every third or fourth respondent mentioned it
to the interviewer. Many low-income families cannot afford
expensive medication; neither can they choose a good clinic to
have complicated surgery not covered by their compulsory
insurance.
Also worth special attention is the fact that the number of
people experiencing frustration, not seeing any prospects worth
living for, is steadily growing. This is an alarming trend. When
such mood is characteristic of 29 percent of a country's adult
population, not of a small marginal group, the government has a
serious reason for reflecting on the reform outcome. It was
launched with the purpose of opening broader and brighter
prospects to people, not of confining them to a miserable
existence.
Every fifth respondent is concerned about losing his or her
job and about the unavailability of a good education to the
children. These serious problems pushed to the margins such
common issues as family quarrels and drinking.

Russia has mountain to climb to fix economy - Putin
By Brian Killen

MOSCOW, Dec 29 (Reuters) - Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, whose plans
for the economy have been a well-kept secret until now, has outlined a grand
vision of how to save his country from further humiliating decline.

A policy statement published on Tuesday on a new government Internet website
(www.pravitelstvo.gov.ru) gave a rare insight into the thinking of the
ex-spy, a man who is clear favourite to succeed President Boris Yeltsin when
his term ends in June 2000.

The statement clearly aimed to dispel the notion that Putin lacked ideas on
the economy. It also appeared tailored to appeal to both liberals and
leftists ahead of next year's election.

But it painted a stark picture of the economy and made no rash promises. In
fact, it called for a 10- to 15-year strategy and said Russia had a long way
to go to match the likes of Spain and Portugal, never mind the United States.

Putin, who took office in August and was named by Yeltsin as his preferred
successor, drew many comparisons between Russia and the economies of the
United States and China.

``In the 1990s, Russia's gross domestic product has halved. According to the
overall size of GDP, we are 10 times smaller than the United States and five
times less than China,'' he said.

He said Russia should aim for fast growth, with improved conditions for
investment and new economic directions.

He cited experts saying Russia would need at least eight percent annual
growth in GDP for 15 years to match Spain or Portugal, or 10 percent growth
to equal Britain or France. Russia's 1999 GDP is expected to grow 1.5-2.0
percent.

``Russia is going through one of the most difficult periods of its many
centuries of history. For the first time in 200-300 years, it is facing a
real danger of being in the second, or even the third echelon of the world's
states,'' he said.

PUTIN AIMS FOR REGULATED MARKET ECONOMY

The 47-year-old premier, whose popularity is riding high amid widespread
public support for Russia's military campaign in the breakaway Chechnya
region, said people wanted to work in conditions of stability and peace.

``They want to use those opportunities and prospects which are opened up by
various forms of ownership, entrepreneurial freedom and market relations,''
he said.

He said the country had to learn from the stop-start reforms that marked the
1990s as the command-administrative Soviet system was chaotically dismantled,
output and living standards plummeted and crime and corruption flourished.

``The country needs a long-term nationwide development strategy,'' he said.
``The second important lesson of the 1990s is the conclusion that Russia
needs to form a comprehensive system of state regulation of the economy and
social sphere.''

Putin said there was no alternative to a market economy, but the state was
obliged to support such sectors as science, education, culture and health.

He also ruled out any reforms that would reduce living standards further as
poverty was already widespread.

FOREIGN INVESTMENT TO BE ENCOURAGED

Putin acknowledged the importance of Russia's raw materials sector, saying
energy and metals accounted for 15 percent of GDP and more than 70 percent of
export revenues.

But he said a new direction was needed, putting more emphasis on consumer
goods and services and high technology.

He also complained about declining domestic investment in manufacturing
industry and noted foreign investors were in no hurry to come to Russia.

``Productivity in the real sector is extremely low,'' he said, adding that
industry was uncompetitive and most Russian machinery and equipment was more
than 10 years old.

``I'll tell you frankly, the country's recovery will be long and difficult
without foreign capital. We have no time for a slow revival, so we should do
everything to attract foreign capital to our country.''

Moscow Times
December 29, 1999
'Liberated' Chechnya Far From Orderly
By Yevgenia Borisova
Staff Writer

ACHKHOI-MARTAN, Chechnya -- There is no gas and no electricity. The
schools are closed, and in some cases commandeered by Russian troops as
headquarters. There are no pensions, no other social welfare payments and
no humanitarian aid.

Welcome to occupied, liberated Chechnya - where the Russian authorities
claim to be bringing in order and helping people live stable, ordinary
lives.

The Moscow Times visited six villages last week in the north of Chechnya -
Achkhoi-Martan, Kater-Yurt, Valerik, Gekhi, Urus-Martan and Goiskoye. All
of these villages were in a region of Chechnya occupied weeks ago by
federal forces and long declared free of terrorists; in each of them,
people suffered badly during the first 1994-96 Chechen war and in the
subsequent years of post-war chaos.

But in interview after interview, residents of these villages were
unanimous in saying that life has gone from bad to far worse with the
arrival of Russian forces.

"[General Vladimir] Shamanov promised last month that there would be gas
in the village, heat, electricity, jobs, and that children would go to
school - but nothing has been done," said Aindy, 25, of Achkhoi-Martan.
Like most Chechen civilians, he did not want his last name printed for fear
of reprisals.

Achkhoi-Martan was the only village among the six visited that was
receiving any electricity - but only from midnight to 5 a.m.

"It is an insult to give us power like this [at such useless times of
day]," said Fatima, 35, a resident of Grozny who had taken refuge in
Achkoi-Martan. "I think they are just afraid to turn it on in the evenings
because then we could hear all these happy-life fairy tales [on Russian
television] about how we are living now."

That was a comment echoed again and again. In Kater-Yurt, for example,
35-year-old Zara described how she fled from her native village of Kulary
when the shock wave of an explosion tore the roof off of her house. "Where
is that Russian aid, I wonder?" Zara asked rhetorically. "I think they
intentionally aren't restoring the electricity here so that we don't know
what lies they tell Russians about our life here."

Although there have been reports that pensions and social welfare payments
are being paid out to Chechens in territories under federal control, no one
interviewed knew of anyone who had received such a payment since the war
broke out.

Men spend the daylight hours working on the roofs of houses, trying to
patch holes from shells or shrapnel - or in cases where the entire roof has
been ripped away, to lay down some sort of cover. For material they
cannibalize neighboring deserted or destroyed houses; those who have no
home at all move in with relatives or neighbors.

Some have also taken up arms and patrol village perimeters, often in
conjunction with Russian forces.

Locals expressed the hope that these men would form the backbone of a
homegrown police force in some distant, post-war future.

As winter descends on Chechnya, the men also scavenge for wood to keep
their homes warm. Most of the trees along the roads have been felled, and
some are turning to chopping down orchards.

"It is a shame to have to cut down our gardens. But otherwise how could we
survive this winter?" said Khamzat, 33, a Kater-Yurt resident.

Though these are more or less pacified regions, explosions and machine-gun
fire can be heard nearby, and Russian aviation passing over occasionally
will zoom low to shoot at people or livestock - which is one reason why
roaming far afield in search of firewood is considered reckless.

At night it is hard to sleep, as artillery fire pounds the neighboring
countryside, and the shock waves of explosions rattle windows. Many people
look exhausted; many cope by medicating themselves with sedatives.

In the evenings, some light up kerosinki - kerosene lamps - or run small
electric lamps of off car batteries.

But evening light, when it is possible, is still a luxury to be sparingly
husbanded. Most people simply sit in the dark, trading experiences and
troubles in quiet conversations. They go to sleep early.

Otherwise, there is precious little to do in the occupied territories -
and as far as most teenagers are concerned, nothing at all.

Musa, 16, in September enrolled in a Grozny college. But soon after, he
had to flee to relatives in Kater-Yurt. He said that teenagers can only
hang around Kater-Yurt and talk. "It is so hard to do nothing," he said.

Farming is a lost cause, Chechens said: Most of the fields around are
mined, and local crops have been killed off from noxious clouds raised by
bombing raids.

"We used to grow almost everything here. Now our crops are poor. Our earth
has been exhausted and spoiled by chemicals blown in from the burning
chemical plants and oil wells," said Usman, 71, one of the elders of
Kater-Yurt.

Pears and apples in local orchards were covered by black sores this year,
and could not be sold.

"We used to plant onions and garlic this time every year," said Malika,
30, of Kater-Yurt. "Now we can't do it. The fields are mined, and we are
afraid of planes. I wanted to go to collect corn recently, but people said
planes are diving at people to scare them. I have to feed our animals, but
soon there will be nothing to feed them with.

"Many of our neighbors have their winter stocks almost exhausted by now.
There is almost nothing to sell already and anyway people don't have money
and can't pay the price," Malika continued. "There is a woman with six
children living across the road. She just lives off what we and other
villagers give her. I think in about three months hunger might set in here."

Schools stood empty in all of the villages, their glassless windows
yawning black holes. Some had been taken over as Interior Ministry base
camps.

"We have no teachers," said the wife of Akhmed, 48, a resident of Gekhi.
She complained that all teachers had fled in 1994, during the first war,
and then "Wahhabis" - in the Chechen understanding, followers of a militant
Islam - had ruled that girls could not go to school. With the arrival of
the Russian occupation forces, however, nothing has improved, she said.

"We had seven schools here, and not one has started to work since the
Russians came," she said furiously. "My girl is ten, she should be in the
fourth grade, but she has studied only a few months in her life. She cannot
read, she cannot even count to ten!"

"It has become far worse here than it was before the war," said Isa of
Urus-Martan, 48. The father of seven children, he was a truck driver, but
lost his job when the Russian bombing raids began.

"Food has become very expensive and scarce. There is no electricity, no
work, no pensions - and the Wahhabis, who confiscated all our food stocks
when the war started, are coming here regularly in their fashionable cars,
without any problems," Isa said.

"What is this [Russian military] campaign for?"