December 28, 1999
This Date's Issues:3711

1. Reuters: Boris wishes Bill warm new year despite chilly '99.
2. Moscow Times: Sarah Karush, Fatherland Speaks Out Against Chechen War.
3. Interfax: UNION OF RIGHT FORCES TO BACK PUTIN'S BID FOR PRESIDENCY -
KIRIYENKO.

4. Russia TV: RUSSIAN POLITICIAN BORIS NEMTSOV COMMENTS ON DUMA ELECTION
RESULTS.

5. Moscow Times EDITORIAL: A Reformer Speaks Out On the War. (Kiriyenko)
6. Interfax: COMMUNISTS WON'T RAISE CONFIDENCE IN GOVT ISSUE IN DUMA.
7. Mikhail Kazachkov: Re: jonas bernstein comments/3709.
8. BBC: A Chechen view of Russia's war by Dr Aslambek Kadiev.
9. Patrick Jones: Unsolicited Advice for V. Putin
10. RFE/RL: Sophie Lambroschini, Yeltsin Enters Final Year in Power.
11. AP: Young Russian Soldiers Reconsider.
12. Voice of America: Peter Heinlein, Yearender on Chechnya.
13. Russia TV: RUSSIA' PUTIN LEADS IN PRESIDENTIAL RACE BY LARGE MAJORITY
- POLL.

14. Segodnya: Avtandil Tsuladze, POSSIBLE LINE-UP OF POLITICAL FORCES IN
DUMA
AGAINST THE BACKGROUND OF PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS.]

Boris wishes Bill warm new year despite chilly '99
December 27, 1999

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian President Boris Yeltsin sent warm holiday wishes
to U.S. President Bill Clinton Monday, but acknowledged that 1999 was a
chilly year for ties between the two countries.

``1999 was not an easy year for Russian-American relations, and it required
no small effort to support and strengthen the positive start to cooperation
between Russia and the United States,'' Yeltsin's annual Christmas and New
Year card to the White House said.

This year Russia's relations with the United States reached their lowest
point since the end of the Cold War.

Wars in Kosovo and Chechnya were the most public spats, but the two sides
have also railed at each other over arms control, Iraq and a handful of
high-profile spy cases.

Earlier this month Yeltsin, on a visit to China, accused Clinton of
forgetting ``for half a minute'' that Russia had nuclear arms.

But in their two public meetings, in Cologne and Istanbul, Yeltsin and
Clinton did manage to maintain some of the public bear-hugging and personal
bonhomie that characterized East-West relations in the early and mid-1990s.

Yeltsin's greeting, released by the Kremlin Monday, said the two meetings
proved ``that at stressful times in our relations and the international
situation, we have no trouble jointly finding mutually beneficial solutions
for the most complicated problems.''

Yeltsin also sent holiday greetings to Queen Elizabeth II and Prime Minister
Tony Blair of Britain, Emperor Akihito of Japan, German Chancellor Gerhard
Schroeder, President Carlo Azeglio Ciampi and Prime Minister Massima D'Alema
of Italy, French President Jacques Chirac and Canadian Prime Minister Jean
Chretien.

Two former leaders who had close ties with Yeltsin during their terms --
former U.S. President George Bush and former German Chancellor Helmut Kohl --
were also on the Russian president's Christmas card list this year, the
Kremlin said.

Moscow Times
December 28, 1999
Fatherland Speaks Out Against Chechen War
By Sarah Karush
Staff Writer

Opposition to the war in Chechnya gained political momentum this weekend,
when the centrist Fatherland-All Russia coalition joined the liberal Yabloko
party in criticizing the Russian military's actions in the breakaway
republic.

In a discussion on NTV's current affairs program Itogi, newly elected
Fatherland-All Russia deputy Georgy Boos said that what began as an
"anti-terrorist operation" had escalated into a full-scale war, which the
bloc could not support.

Throughout the election campaign, Fatherland-All Russia leader and Moscow
Mayor Yury Luzhkov wavered in his position on Chechnya. The bloc as a whole
was reluctant to take a unified stance and most of the members, including
bloc leader Yevgeny Primakov, did their best to steer clear of the subject.
It seemed as though Luzhkov & Co. were not ready to question a popular war
and the popular prime minister waging it.

But on Sunday's "Itogi," Boos, who headed the Fatherland-All Russia's
campaign headquarters, laid out the party's criticism.

"We supported the government as long as we were dealing with an
anti-terrorist operation, and not a large-scale ... war, which was not
prepared for, on a territory with a large civilian population. And right now
that is what is happening," Boos said.

In the hodgepodge coalition of Fatherland-All Russia, Boos is allied with
Luzhkov, who is hardly known to be a champion of rights, let alone the rights
of Chechens. When two Moscow apartment buildings were bombed in September,
Luzhkov further tightened his restrictive registration system for nonresident
"guests of the capital" and Chechens in Moscow said they were harassed by the
police and denied registration.

But in the last weeks of the election campaign, Luzhkov was quoted in the
Russian press criticizing the high number of civilian casualties in much the
same tone as Boos used Sunday, though he later retreated slightly.

Boos extended his criticism to Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, whose
popularity left him virtually untouchable during the often harsh campaign.

"At this point his actions are only the actions of a strong hand bringing
order to Chechnya. There are no economic actions, no victories on the
international arena," Boos said. "Here we see only - and I apologize -
inaction."

Boos said that if the government did not rethink its strategy in Chechnya,
"we may have to review our support of the government in this area."

It is not clear to what extent Fatherland-All Russia will remain a unified
force in the State Duma.

The bloc essentially split last week, when its leaders decided to create one
eponymous faction and two smaller groups. One of them, Russia's Regions, will
unite regional forces supported by powerful governors who tend to be more
willing to cooperate with the Kremlin than Luzhkov. The other gro up will
consist of Agrarians who broke from the Communists to join Fatherland-All
Russia.

While most commentators are portraying the bloc's plans to form separate
groups as a schism, the bloc's leaders maintain they are still allies and
will form a joint council to coordinate the work of all three groups.

Among the other four politicians participating in Sunday's "Itogi," only
Yavlinsky was critical of the government's Chechnya policy.

Sergei Kiriyenko of the Union of Right Forces, flamboyant nationalist
Vladimir Zhirinovsky - who declared Sunday he would make a third bid for the
presidency next year - and Ivan Melnikov, deputy leader of the Communist
Party, all reiterated their support for the government's policy.

As a self-proclaimed liberal, Kiriyenko was put in a tough spot during Sunday
night's discussion, during which host Yevgeny Kiselyov asked him if his party
might become an ally of Yabloko's on the Chechnya issue.

"I don't think this is a topic for discussions about allies or enemies. This
is a tragedy for the country," he said.

UNION OF RIGHT FORCES TO BACK PUTIN'S BID FOR PRESIDENCY - KIRIYENKO

MOSCOW. Dec 27 (Interfax) - Union of Right Forces leader and former
Prime Minister Sergei Kiriyenko has reaffirmed his support for Prime
Minister Vladimir Putin's bid for the Russian presidency in 2000.
Putin is "the most suitable" candidate for president, Kiriyenko
told NTV television.
However, Russians should not pin their hopes for the future on one
individual, Kiriyenko said. This situation "should change," he said.
A leader of the Fatherland-All Russia movement, Georgy Boos, links
Putin's rising popularity ratings to "a longing for the past, a longing
for a strong hand."
Putin has so far demonstrated his abilities only in Chechnya. "I do
not know how Putin would score when a full-scale war begins," Boos said.
"We have not seen Putin take steps in the economy or score
victories in the international arena. It is premature to speak about a
bright future," he said.
However, leader of the Fatherland-All Russia election alliance
Yevgeny Primakov's work as prime minister "gave hope for a future," he
said. Boos said he does not know whether Primakov will change his mind
as to running for president. Primakov is "a firm, decisive, extremely
reliable and decent person," he said.
Liberal Democratic Party (LDPR) leader Vladimir Zhirinovsky has
expressed his confidence that Primakov will not run for president.
Zhirinovsky named four realistic presidential bidders: Putin, Communist
Party of Russia leader Gennady Zyuganov, Yabloko party leader Grigory
Yavlinsky, and himself.
Zyuganov will not make it to the second round of voting, and
Yavlinsky will notch up the same percentage as in 1996, Zhirinovsky
said.
The LDPR leader did not offer precise estimates of his own chances,
adding that his "star hour" will come in 2008. The West has been trying
to destroy Russia over the past few years and a tougher person than
Putin will be needed, he said.
Yabloko party leader Grigory Yavlinsky reaffirmed that his party
will take part in the presidential elections.
Communist Party of Russia deputy leader Ivan Melnikov said that new
figures might emerge during the presidential campaign. "Not everyone who
can do it has announced" their intentions, he said.
Equal conditions must be created for all candidates and steps must
be taken to prevent any vote rigging or other election fraud, he said.
Most Communists and their supporters expect Zyuganov to represent
his party in the elections.

BBC MONITORING
RUSSIAN POLITICIAN BORIS NEMTSOV COMMENTS ON DUMA ELECTION RESULTS
Source: Russia TV, Moscow, in Russian 1500 gmt 26 Dec 99

["Pered Zerkalom" Presenter] Hello. We present another view on the
parliamentary [State Duma] elections that have taken place and a fresh view
on the new Russian State Duma, which hasn't started work yet. On "Pered
Zerkalom" we have one of the leaders of the Union of Right Forces' bloc,
Boris Nemtsov.

[Video shows close-up and mid-shots of the presenter and Nemtsov sitting in
the studio. Nemtsov no longer has permed curly hair. It is straight and
combed off his face]

Boris Yefimovich, there has been a great deal of talk about the fact that it
[election result] was a victory for the Union of Right Forces. Meanwhile, the
Union of Right Forces probably didn't get that many votes. It wasn't even 9
per cent, isn't that right?

What do you think - was this a victory, or what?

[Nemtsov] It was undoubtedly a victory if you remember what the analysts
predicted for us - that was 1-2 per cent - so of course this was a victory.
Why? In my view, for two reasons. You've already focused on one of them in
your programme. For the very first time in recent Russian history, Russian
liberals took patriotic positions - open, clear and tough. We supported
[Prime Minister Vladimir] Putin. We took a tough position on Yugoslavia - do
you remember that? In the defence of national interests, we undoubtedly -

[Q] - with regard to the West, in connection with Yugoslavia?

[A] Yes, yes. It was undoubtedly our priority. Then there's the second
reason, a very important one. The point is that, on the eve of 2000, our
people want to see new people in power. They don't want political news to
emanate just from the Central Clinical Hospital [referring to Yeltsin's state
of health].

[Q] Excuse me for this sharp question, but do you consider your own face to
be a new one?

[A] You know, I'll say this: In comparison with some other people, about whom
you talk such a lot in your programmes, we [Union of Right Forces] are
undoubtedly completely new - simply youthful - I'd even put it that way. In
voting for a new generation, Russia was in effect voting for the future. I
think that this second reason is no less important than the ideological
reason that we were talking about...

[Q] Generally, the main sensation in connection with your appearance in
[election to] the Duma lies in the fact that, less than one and a half years
ago, at the end of August 1998, you were simply removed, as it were, from
politics, in an amicable way.

[A] I'd even go as far as to say buried.

[Q] Well, yes, I put it more delicately. Buried, and indeed not even one and
a half years have passed, and you're already here [in the Duma]. What's the
reason?...

[A] You know, it became clear that there simply wasn't an alternative to a
liberal economic policy... In short, all the ideas that we were forwarding
turned out to be the right ones... Second, we have one team, a united team...
And the last point, for the first time in many years, the country's
democratic forces came out in a united front...

I consider it a key political task for the Union of Right Forces to defend
Putin in the State Duma. I think that the Communists [Communist Party of the
Russian Federation] and to all appearances radical representatives of
Fatherland [-All Russia] will want, whatever happens, to dismiss Putin. We
will not allow this to happen...

Moscow Times
December 28, 1999
EDITORIAL: A Reformer Speaks Out On the War

"It is impossible to resolve the problem of a legal and political settlement
in Chechnya with force. It is [also] impossible to deal with terrorists in
any other way. We will have to resolve the problem of a legal and political
settlement in Chechnya with legal and political methods. The country is
standing before a very dangerous boundary - of becoming infatuated with
solving problems through force, of going beyond the boundary of acceptable
measures for combatting terrorism. It is a very thin line. And this is the
main danger today for the country. Because we will resolve nothing today
through the use of force. This is the responsibility of the politicians
sitting here today. [However,] We cannot stop the military operation and
bring the troops home. We must find a way of gradually turning the use of a
force operation into a political-legal settlement. For this there are ways
and proposals."

- Sergei Kiriyenko, leader of the Union of Right Forces.

So let's get this straight. To hear Kiriyenko tell it, regarding Chechnya:

a) "Force" will solve nothing.

b) Terrorists must be dealt with, however, by "force."

c) The country is too enamoured of using "force."

d) To reiterate, we will solve nothing today through the use of "force."

e) So of course we cannot stop the military operation. (After all, as General
Vladimir Shamanov told us this weekend, it is "a sacred thing.")

f) We must find a way of turning the "force operation" into a political-legal
settlement - which, however, is impossible.

g) For all of this there are ways and proposals.

This was the scene on Sunday's "Itogi" program as Russia's shiniest new
reform penny twisted and turned - trying to keep his liberal credentials,
while simultaneously trying to evade even the slightest whiff of questioning
the war that propelled the young reformers back into relevance.

Kiriyenko's lone intellectual ally was Communist Duma Deputy Ivan Melnikov,
who said of Chechnya, "The vector of development is headed in the right
direction."

By contrast, Fatherland-All Russia's Georgy Boos, was reasonably articulate
in questioning the morals of a war that is falling so heavily and recklessly
on civilians. Vladimir Zhirinovsky was at least clear in his argument that
Vladimir Putin is a wimp and the war needs to be more vicious. And Grigory
Yavlinsky again proved himself the lone Russian liberal - Yavlinsky from the
start said he supported an anti-terrorist operation, and then, in response to
escalating civilian casualties, called for a rethink. He's right.

COMMUNISTS WON'T RAISE CONFIDENCE IN GOVT ISSUE IN DUMA

MOSCOW. Dec 27 (Interfax) - The Communist Party (KPRF) is not going
to raise the issue of confidence in Prime Minister Vladimir Putin's
government in the newly-elected Duma, KPRF deputy chairman Ivan Melnikov
said on Sunday.
" Discussing this issue is harmful " while the anti-terrorist
operation is underway in Chechnya, Melnikov told the NTV channel.
KPRF is supporting the government course in Chechnya.
Former Fatherland-All Russia election headquarters leader Georgy
Boos is confident that the issue of confidence in the government is
purely theoretical and it would not be debated in the lower house.
However, the situation in Chechnya has "almost become critical,"
Boos said. It needs a serious analysis. A precise anti-terrorist
operation must be carried out in Chechnya instead of a large-scale war,
he said.
Liberal Democratic Party leader Vladimir Zhirinovsky expressed a
full support of the government operation in Chechnya and called for
tougher action.
Yabloko party leader Grigory Yavlinsky said that a real war is
being waged in Chechnya rather than an anti-terrorist operation. "This
must be brought to an end. The outcome would be shameful and Russia
would not bear it for a second time," Yavlinsky said.