September 18, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3507 3508

1. Reuters: Russia's rumour-mill cranks up again.
2. Reuters: Lebed says won't serve under Yeltsin - magazine.
3. Baltimore Sun editorial: Russian violence hints of a Yugoslavian fate.
4. Financial Times (UK): FBI under fire on Russian funds 'laundering'
5. House Banking Committee Money Laundering Hearing Witness List.
6. Tom Manson: Another view. (of corruption in Russia)
7. Ha'Aretz (Israel): Isabella Ginor, Lebed, Sets Conditions for Accepting
Premiership.

8. Journal of Commerce: John Helmer, RUSSIA'S NEW RAIL MINISTER IS THE OLD
ONE. (Aksyonenko)

9. The Nation: Matt Taibbi and Mark Ames, AFTER MISREPORTING THE STORY,
THE PAPER CHANGED ITS LINE AND WON A PULITZER. The Journal's Russia Scandal.

10. Russia Reform Monitor: NSC TASKS BUSINESS LOBBY TO DO RUSSIA DAMAGE
CONTROL.

11. Los Angeles Times editorial: Keep Russia Probe Nonpartisan.
12. Interfax: Zyuganov Says Yeltsin 'Absolute Evil']

Russia's rumour-mill cranks up again
By Gareth Jones

MOSCOW, Sept 18 (Reuters) - Russia's political rumour-mill, which has been
working in overdrive this week, cranked into action again on Saturday with
talk that President Boris Yeltsin might soon be back in hospital and a new
successor named.

The liberal Sevodnya newspaper said Yeltsin was in failing health and was
preparing to name former paratroop general Alexander Lebed, now governor of
Siberia's Krasnoyarsk region, as his preferred heir instead of Prime Minister
Vladimir Putin.

An Internet website which often publishes highly speculative stories also
said Yeltsin, who has suffered repeated health problems, would be admitted to
hospital in the next two weeks.

A Kremlin spokeswoman declined to comment on either report, saying: "We only
confirm official information."

A senior presidential aide, Igor Shabdurasulov, told Interfax news agency
there were "no political scenarios which envisaged the early resignation of
the president."

"(These rumours) are linked to the political interests of those who initiate
them, representing what they desire as reality," he was quoted as saying.

The latest speculation came as Russia's mass media, renowned for their love
of cloak-and-dagger intrigue, struggled to make sense of recent events which
include a bombing campaign that has killed nearly 300 people in Moscow and
other cities.

It is still not clear who set off the blasts, but officials have blamed them
on Chechen warlords fighting Russian rule in the turbulent North Caucasus
region.

LEBED VALUED BECAUSE OF HIS CHECHNYA EXPERIENCE

Sevodnya said Lebed was now tipped to return to Moscow because of his
experience in dealing with the Chechens. As Yeltsin's peace envoy, he
brokered a deal in August 1996 ending Russia's ruinous two-year war with the
Chechen separatists.

"It cannot be excluded that the nation will learn as soon as Monday the name
of Boris Yeltsin's latest heir," the paper said.

The paper also said controversial businessman Boris Berezovsky was set to
rejoin Yeltsin's advisory Security Council for the same reason. Berezovsky
has good ties with Chechnya and has helped in the past to release hostages
held by gunmen there.

But in comments to Ekho Moskvy radio on Saturday, Berezovsky played down talk
he was about to take up an official post.

"I know nothing about this. Nobody has proposed anything to me," he said.
Berezovsky also proposed Russia start talking to the Chechen warlords -- an
idea hardly likely to win him promotion amid the current anti-Chechen
atmosphere in Moscow.

Lebed also dismissed talk of his impending return to the Kremlin. "I have
nothing to do with that," he said in an advance copy of an interview with the
German news magazine Spiegel. Lebed said he would never accept any office
under Yeltsin.

Yeltsin has said he wants Putin, appointed premier last month, to succeed him
after next summer's presidential election.

YELTSIN REPORTED IN DECLINING HEALTH, NOT IN CONTROL

Sevodnya said Yeltsin's health was deteriorating and that his close
entourage, which includes his daughter Tatyana Dyachenko and Berezovsky and
is widely known as the Family, had been given "carte blanche" to take major
political decisions.

The Internet website www.gazeta.ru echoed that view.

"According to several sources in medical and political circles, Yeltsin's
state of health has declined swiftly in the last few days," it said.

The article, signed by Eduard Bogdanovich, noted that Yeltsin cancelled
several planned Kremlin meetings this week.

"The situation is near to critical," it said.

Sevodnya noted that Lebed did not attend Friday's extraordinary session of
the Federation Council, the upper house of parliament which groups regional
leaders. As governor of Krasnoyarsk he has a seat in the chamber.

"After all, his work as a governor is coming to an end," said Sevodnya of
Lebed, who came a strong third in the 1996 presidential election. He gave his
support to Yeltsin in the second and final round of that election.

Lebed says won't serve under Yeltsin - magazine

BERLIN, Sept 18 (Reuters) - Former paratroop general Alexander Lebed, who is
lining up as a contender to succeed Russian President Boris Yeltsin, said on
Saturday he would not accept any office under the ailing Kremlin leader.

``I have nothing to do with that,'' Lebed, who is governor of Siberia's vast
Krasnoyarsk region, said in an advance copy of an interview with the German
news magazine Spiegel.

Lebed vowed on September 9 to run for the Russian presidency in mid-2000,
saying Russia needed a general to run the country. He likened himself to
General Charles de Gaulle, who extricated France in the 1950s from the
Algerian war and restored political stability by creating the Fifth Republic
with a strong presidency.

Rumours have circulated in Moscow this week that Yeltsin is in failing health
and might name Lebed as his preferred successor instead of Prime Minister
Vladimir Putin.

Apart from concerns about Yeltsin's health, Russia has been thrown into a
state of confusion by a series of bloody bombings in Moscow and other cities
that have killed nearly 300 people.

Nobody has claimed responsibility for the attacks on civilian apartment
blocks, but officials have blamed them on Chechen warlords fighting Russian
rule in the turbulent North Caucausus region.

Lebed has experience of dealing with the Chechens. He won considerable
prestige in August 1996 when as Yeltsin's peace envoy he brokered a deal
ending Russia's two-year war with Chechen separatists.

He warned in the Spiegel interview that there was now a real danger of Russia
falling apart and descending into chaos.

If individual regions in Russia got their hands on nuclear weapons it would
be ``terrible for the whole world,'' he was quoted as saying.

``Will our home become a home for bandits? Or will we become a country which
tries to become healthy and which people enjoy having contact with.''

``Chronic mistrust, fear and bitterness'' ruled Russia after eight years of
apparent democracy, he said.

Baltimore Sun
September 18, 1999
Editorial
Russian violence hints of a Yugoslavian fate
Terrorism: Apartment building bombings have killed hundreds and spread fear
and acts of revenge.

APARTMENT bombings that have killed about 300 people are unleashing worrisome
outbursts of hatred in Russia. The country's top officials are fanning
hysteria and crying for revenge.

"We must stamp out this vermin," Prime Minister Vladimir Putin says of
Chechen and Dagestani Islamic separatists whom he accuses of the bombings.
"We should not whimper and whine, we all need to act decisively, determinedly
and energetically."

In another chilling harangue, the prime minister called for ethnic Russians
to take revenge. Already, he said, "we were being turned into second-class
citizens in our own homes."

Amid reports that authorities discovered 19 tons of explosives in sugar sacks
transported from a Southern Russian mill, citizens are panicking. Militia
officers and vigilantes are harassing minorities on the streets and in their
homes, claiming to ensure public safety. In at least one town, businesses
belonging to Islamic minorities have been firebombed.

These expressions of hate, if they escalate, could prove disastrous for
Russia. A multinational state of different languages, cultures, religions and
ethnic groups must be based on mutual tolerance or it can become an
uncontrollable tinderbox.

Arbitrary scapegoating has often been part of Russian history. In czarist
times, Jews were blamed for adversities and subjected to pogroms. Under
Stalin, hunts for saboteurs cost millions of lives. "Alien" ethnic groups,
including Crimean Tatars and Chechens, were collectively punished.

President Boris N. Yeltsin should move decisively to curb passions caused by
the recent bombings -- or Russia could end up as another Yugoslavia, where
neighbors turned against one another, causing the country's disintegration.

Financial Times (UK)
September 18, 1999
[for personal use only]
FBI under fire on Russian funds 'laundering'
By Thomas Catán in New York and Jimmy Burns in London

The Federal Bureau of Investigation faces mounting questions over its
handling of the inquiry into the alleged laundering of billions of dollars in
Russian funds through the Bank of New York.

It now appears the FBI took little action on the case for six months after it
was first notified by British intelligence, prompting UK officials to appeal
directly to the White House to take action.

About $6bn in Russian funds was allowed to move through the nine suspect
accounts at the Bank of New York in the year after FBI agents were first
alerted to the suspicious activity.

It is understood that British intelligence, through the country's National
Crime Intelligence Service, first informed the FBI of suspicious activity
involving accounts at the Bank of New York in September 1998. That month US
investigative authorities opened an inquiry into the case, issuing the first
subpoenas for documents from the bank.

Investigators asked the bank to keep the accounts open and operating normally
in order to track the source and destination of the funds. But it is
understood the matter languished at a relatively low level in the FBI for at
least the next six months as billions of dollars in Russian funds moved
through the suspect accounts.

For months a single agent was assigned to the case. But the FBI says this is
standard procedure and does not suggest the investigation was given low
priority. "While we do not discuss details of a pending investigation, as a
matter of general policy typically there is just one case agent regardless of
the manpower allotment overall to the case," said James Margolan, FBI
spokesman.

By March 1999 British intelligence had become so frustrated at the perceived
inaction by US investigators that they circumvented the traditional command
structure and went directly to the White House's National Security Council
and State Department.

Shortly after, administration officials led by Jonathan Winer, deputy
assistant secretary of state, visited the FBI to be briefed on the inquiry's
progress. However, other administration officials said they were rebuffed by
investigators, who refused to provide them with information on the case.

However, it is understood that around that time the investigation was moved
up to a higher level at the FBI.

Between September 1998 and August 1999 - when word of the investigation
leaked to the press - $6bn moved through the nine accounts under
investigation, according to people familiar with accounts. Investigators
froze the accounts in August, seizing just $20m of the $10bn that moved
through them over several years.

Critics are asking why the FBI allowed billions of dollars to move unfettered
through the accounts while apparently giving little importance to the
investigation. Questions over the FBI's role are likely to be a key theme in
congressional hearings into the affair due to begin on Tuesday.

Press Release
House Committee on Banking and Financial Services
James A. Leach, Chairman

For Immediate Release: Contact: David Runkel or Andrew Parmentier
Friday, September 17, 1999 (202) 226-0471

Money Laundering Hearing Witness List

Rep. James A. Leach, Chairman of the House Banking and Financial
Services Committee, today released the witness list for the first two days
of Committee hearings on allegations of money laundering and corruption in
Russia. The hearings will begin at 10 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 21, and
Wednesday, Sept. 22, in Room 2128 Rayburn House Office Building.

Tuesday, September 21

Panel 1
Lawrence Summers, Secretary of the Treasury

Panel 2
James Woolsey, Shea & Gardner, former Director of Central Intelligence
Richard Saunders, Director, Nixon Center
Vladimir Brovkin, American University professor, Transnational Crime and
Corruption Center
Emmanuel Zeltser, American Russian Law Institute
Frank Cilluffo, Center for Strategic and International Studies

Panel 3
Robert Levinson, Managing Director DSFX, former special agent, FBI
Richard Palmer, Cachet International, Inc., and a former CIA station chief
Yuri Shvets, consultant, former KGB agent

Wednesday, Sept. 22

Panel 1
James Robinson, Assistant Attorney General, Criminal Division

Panel 2
Yuri Shchekochikhin, Member of the Russian Duma and editor of Moscow
newspaper, Novaya Gazeta

Panel 3
Thomas Renyi, Chairman and CEO, Bank of New York

Panel 4
Anne Vitale, Managing Director and Deputy General Counsel, Republic
National Bank of New York

Additional witnesses may be added.

In announcing the hearings, Leach said, "The purposes of these hearings
will be to underscore the degree of corruption in Russia and any taint to
the US and/or the international financial system. In addition, it is
important for the West to adequately respond to the current Russian
kleptrocratic situation in a way that assists the Russian people in
successfully making the transition from a communist to a democratic
free-market society.

"Let me emphasize that the Committee's interest is in putting the facts on
the public record in a fair manner," Leach said. "Our goal is not simply
to rehash the past, but to look to the future by examining the past. My
principal concern isn't "Who Lost Russia?," but what can be done to save
Russian democracy."

Additional hearings, including one examining the question of whether
International Monetary Fund monies were improperly or illegally
transferred out of Russia, will be held later in the fall, Leach said.