September 8, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3487 3488

1. Reuters: Russian military sceptical on US arms talks.
2. Bloomberg: Mabetex Paid Yeltsin's Credit Card Bills, Washington Post
Says.

3. Bloomberg: US Ambassador to Russia Collins Speaks on Money Laundering.
4. Tom de Waal: Re Dagestan coverage and Khatab.
5. Interfax: Communist Party Presents Election List.
6. Itar-Tass: Russian Top Officials Allowed To Run for Duma.
7. The Independent (UK): ITALIAN FIRM `LAUNDERED MONEY FOR KREMLIN'
8. Washington Post: David Ignatius, Was the Looting Of Russia Avoidable?
9. Jerry F. Hough: response to comments on 3477/Hough.
10. John Wilhelm: A piece for your list.
11. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Premier Putin Addresses Students.
12. Moscow Times: Gwynne Dyer, Communism Extinguished Without a Shot.]

*****

Russian military sceptical on US arms talks
By Martin Nesirky

MOSCOW, Sept 8 (Reuters) - An upbeat U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Strobe
Talbott arrived in Moscow on Wednesday for arms talks but a Russian
military official made clear the going would be tough.

Diplomatic sources said Talbott was meeting Russian Deputy Foreign Minister
Georgy Mamedov and they would meet again on Thursday morning before Talbott
returned to the United States.

``I'm going to be concentrating particularly on strategic matters, laying
the ground with my colleagues at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for talks
that are coming up,'' Talbott told reporters after arriving at Moscow's
main international airport.

The talks will focus on the prospects for a START-3 nuclear weapons
reduction pact and Washington's desire to change the 1972 Anti-Ballistic
Missile (ABM) treaty, diplomats said.

The Cold War-era ABM treaty banned defence systems designed to shoot down
enemy missiles, under the logic that such shields would only tempt the
United States and the Soviet Union to build more missiles in the hope one
might pierce the enemy's umbrella.

The White House wants to review the treaty to allow it to develop a shield
to protect its troops and Asian allies from possible attack by rogue
states. Republicans in the U.S. congress have said they want to ditch the
treaty altogether.

But Russia regards the treaty as a cornerstone of arms control and strongly
opposes making major changes to it.

Talbott said he planned ``to continue the good discussions we have been
having with our counterparts in the Russian government over the last
several months.''

But an unnamed senior Russian military official sounded decidedly less
enthusiastic in comments to Interfax news agency.

``The Americans are trying to drag us into negotiating on ABM to secure
Russian agreement for the United States to deploy its own limited national
anti-ballistic missile defence,'' the official was quoted as saying.

``The Russian side will not go along with this,'' he said. ``Our position
is that deploying a national ABM system would lead to an arms race,
including in missiles.''

Itar-Tass news agency quoted diplomatic sources as saying both sides had
agreed not to disclose where they would meet on Wednesday and Thursday. It
is not yet clear whether either side will brief reporters.

After a previous round of preliminary talks on ABM and START-3 in Moscow in
mid-August, a top Russian military official lashed out at the United States.

Colonel-General Leonid Ivashov, head of the Defence Ministry's
international relations department, said that meeting had been unproductive
and Washington's insistence on altering the ABM treaty could undermine the
whole disarmament process.

The sides were also expected to discuss START-3, a new treaty aimed at
adding to cuts in nuclear arsenals agreed under the 1993 START-2 treaty,
which has yet to be ratified by Moscow.

The military official told Interfax Russia was ready to discuss START-3
because it would cut the U.S. arsenal and make it easier for cash-strapped
Moscow to maintain rough parity.

Mamedov is scheduled to visit Washington later this month for more detailed
talks.

U.S. Defence Secretary William Cohen is scheduled to visit Moscow on Monday
for talks with Russian Defence Minister Igor Sergeyev. Russian Prime
Minister Vladimir Putin is expected to meet U.S. President Bill Clinton at
an Asian-Pacific summit in New Zealand next week.

Mabetex Paid Yeltsin's Credit Card Bills, Washington Post Says

Geneva, September 8 (Bloomberg) -- Mabetex, a Swiss company that won major
construction contracts from the Russian government, paid tens of thousands
of dollars to credit card companies on behalf of Russian President Boris
Yeltsin and his daughters, the Washington Post reported, citing unnamed law
enforcement authorities. Swiss investigators have also found that Mabetex
paid $10 million to $15 million to benefit high Russian officials and their
families, including Yeltsin, and was the source of $1 million that was
transferred to a Hungarian bank account for Yeltsin several years ago, the
newspaper said, citing an official familiar with the Swiss inquiry.
Mabetex's top official, Behgjet Pacolli, has denied paying any bribes and
Yeltsin has denied any wrongdoing, the Post said.

Another investigation by U.S. law enforcement authorities is looking into
allegations that about $10 billion of illegally obtained funds were
circulated through the Bank of New York, the 16th-largest U.S. bank, by
associates of a Russian crime syndicate.

US Ambassador to Russia Collins Speaks on Money Laundering

Moscow, Sept. 8 (Bloomberg) -- Russian law enforcement officers will travel
to Washington next week to help U.S. agencies investigate claims that
Russian money was laundered through U.S. bank accounts, officials of the
two countries said.

The following are comments by U.S. Ambassador to Russia James Collins on
Russian radio station Ekho Moskvy:

``There are serious problems with corruption and crime,'' he said. ``We and
the Russian government should work together to fight crime. The Russian
government is ready to send law enforcement officials to the U.S. They will
leave soon.

``We will investigate all allegations. Our law enforcement officials have
cooperated for four to five years. We have confidence they will work as
professionals.

``We support International Monetary Fund programs to allow them to help
transform Russia's economy to an effective market economy. That's the
beginning and end of our position. We don't support handing out loans if
they aren't used to support those aims. If those conditions are fulfilled,
then we will continue to support the programs of the IMF. Neither our
taxpayers nor Russian taxpayers would agree to that. There are methods of
checking on the use of the funds.

``Today there's an agreement between the IMF and the Russian government.
The conditions of the loan pertain to the budget as well as audits, most of
which have been completed. One audit must still be completed.

``We have no proof Russia misused U.S. humanitarian aid money. We agreed on
strict controls. We are happy with the fulfillment of the program.

``Our main principle is we support democratic order which protects human
rights and establishes an economy based on market principles. Some say we
are supporting specific individuals by doing this. We tried from the
beginning to show clearly that we support these principles. That hasn't
changed.

``Elections are the business of the Russians. It's not our affair.

``In October, here in Moscow there will be a meeting of G-8 ministers to
discuss how to deal with modern, technological economic crimes. It's a
threat to the entire world economy.

``All those allegations of crime give Russia an opportunity to take action.
Russia has a weak banking system. We hope to see two things: a serious
approach to the investigation -- and we are starting to see that now-- and
the creation of a stricter legal foundation that is more strict on economic
crime.''