September 2, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3477  3478

1. Reuters: Russian PM pledges happy New Year for countrymen.
2. International Herald Tribune: William Pfaff, The Great Swindle Along
Russia's Road to Reform.

3. Jake Rudnitsky: Re: 3475-Backer/IMF's Lending Policies.
4. Peter D. Ekman: Bolshoi Corruption.
5. Moscow Times: Natalya Shulyakovskaya, Did Hamburger Haters Bomb
Manezh?

6. Robert Chandler: Andrey Platonov.
7. Jerry Hough: shell game has been so successful....
8. Anne Williamson: An inconvenient history.]

Russian PM pledges happy New Year for countrymen

MOSCOW, Sept 1 (Reuters) - Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin promised on
Wednesday he would do all he could to make sure his countrymen enjoyed the
arrival of the new millennium.

The New Year, which this year will also bring in the new millennium, is
traditionally Russia's biggest holiday when people all over the huge country
indulge in long celebrations.

``The night of January 1, 2000, should be one that all Russians will remember
as a happy and significant event,'' Putin was quoted by Itar-Tass news agency
as telling a committee that met to discuss the country's millennium
celebrations.

He said Russia's federal government had set aside 300 million roubles ($12
million) to fund celebrations of the event, and called on regional leaders to
add more.

He also noted the country would have a new parliament and president before
the next year is out.

Russia also faces worries about the Y2K computer bug, which some technology
experts say could cause havoc in computers not equipped to adjust to the
change of date.

Russia has cooperated in the past with U.S. technicians to make sure its
nuclear defences do not malfunction. Russian and U.S. officials say there is
virtually no chance of an accidental nuclear missile launch, although there
may be other problems.

``Our generation has been blessed by history: we do not only witness the
change of century and of millennium, but participate in it,'' he said.

``The way we greet the millennium is the we will live it, so let us greet it
properly.''

International Herald Tribune
September 2, 1999
[for personal use only]
The Great Swindle Along Russia's Road to Reform
By William Pfaff, Los Angeles Times Syndicate, International Herald Tribune

PARIS - The Russian funds scandal challenges the claim that Boris Yeltsin's
Russia marches to-ward reform and integration into the world community.
It reveals that the relationship between the West and those who dominate
Russia today is a swindle in which both sides bear responsibility.

This government and people linked with it have swindled the Russian people.
The international lending institutions and Western governments have swindled
them as well, and also the Western taxpayers who provided the estimated $10
billion in international aid money now diverted to private accounts in tax
havens.

The worst is that nothing of this comes as a surprise. A former officer of
one of the international lending agencies told me that when he first met
officials of one of the banks allegedly involved in the scandal, at their
fortified Moscow headquarters, he half expected them to take out their
pistols and put them on the table in front of him. He went home to counsel
his organization to have nothing to do with that bank. Other public and
private banks made less prudent choices.

During the years since 1991-1992, Western officials and observers have
recognized that money was being bled from Russia by the ''oligarchs'' who had
profited from what were described as privatizations of Russian industry but
were actually appropriations of Russia's state assets by people in power and
their associates.

Nearly everyone assumed that Russia's current leadership, including people
identified as reformers, was involved, as well as members of Mr. Yeltsin's
immediate entourage.

It was clear that this was much more than a problem of ''crony capitalism,''
to use the exculpatory expression favored by those who de-fend Western
policies toward Russia. Everyone thought this was the price to pay for
Russia's economic reform and democratization.

Everyone was wrong. The scale of the swindle and the identities of the
persons involved make it plain that this was spoliation of the Russian nation
for private gain, conducted under Western eyes (the reference to Joseph
Conrad is entirely appropriate) at the expense of democracy.

There has been a Western moral complicity in this. The central error has been
Washington's persistent conflation of foreign relations with personal
relations between individual leaders, disregarding the safeguards of
traditional government-to-government relations.

The press has had much to do with promoting this, but mainly it has been a
matter of self-aggrandizement by Western leaders, who wish to present
themselves as personally responsible for conducting world affairs.

''Bill's'' friendship with ''Boris,'' and ''Al's'' with Viktor Chernomyrdin
(the former prime minister and oligarch of Gazprom, the ''privatized'' state
natural gas monopoly) served to identify them, in their own eyes and (they
thought) the eyes of voters, as patrons of the new Russia and as men of state.

They used America's resources, and those of the international lending
agencies dominated by the United States, to keep friend Boris Yeltsin in
power - itself an inducement to corruption.

Ambition was involved. Strobe Talbott, the U.S. State Department's leader in
Russian affairs, has wanted the reputation of an important influence on
reform in Russia, a country that always intrigued him. Market economists in
the universities have made or embellished reputations by assisting at the
calamity.

None would acknowledge that the collapse of communism in Russia began a
process that the United States in particular, and to an extent the West in
general, were not only unfit to resolve but even to fully understand, given
the gulf between the West's historical experience and cultural outlook and
that of Russia.

Simple ignorance had a role. The French director of the International
Monetary Fund, Michel Camdessus, told the Paris newspaper Libération on
Tuesday that ''we did not see that dismantling communism meant the
dismantling of the state.''

Any graduate student in political studies could have told him that the state
in the Soviet Union was the facade of the Communist Party. That is why
Mikhail Gorbachev tried to reform the Soviet Union by reforming the party, so
as to render it law-abiding and accountable. The West scoffed.

Western policy toward Russia since 1990 has been dominated by this kind of
amateurism, careerism and ignorance - and by the commercial interests of
American corporations, which in the Clinton administration have exercised an
influence unprecedented in American history.

The worst thing all this has done to Russia has been to re-install moral
nihilism. The thieves themselves conducted themselves with contempt toward
the West, claiming that it taught them to behave as they have behaved.

The best thing that has happened in Russia is that democratic values clearly
have also become installed in Russian society, if precariously. Prosecutors
and the institutions of justice, as well as the press, are investigating
these crimes, against powerful resistance. The test is whether legality will
prevail. The Russians themselves now will decide.