July 21, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3400 3401

1. Moscow Times: Cabinet Seeks to Ax Social Programs.
2. Reuters: Yeltsin Demands Restraint Before Russia Vote.
3. Itar-Tass: YELTSIN WANTS "YOUNG, ENERGETIC" LEADERS AFTER HIM.
4. Itar-Tass: RUSSIA: PREPARATIONS FOR ELECTION IN FULL SWING.
5. Reuters: Lebed Denies Presidential Bid.
6. Alexander Domrin: RE Margaret Coker (JRL, #3397).
7. Vlad Ivanenko: Re: 3398-10 Hough on trade.
8. Judith Shapiro: Reply to Jerry Hough/3398.
9. Tomas Valasek: CDI Georgia Study.
10. The Russia Journal: Russia must use its current potential.
11. Reuters: Elizabeth Piper, Burial row prevents Lenin resting in peace.
12. New York Times: Neela Banerjee, From Russia's Chaos, a New Breed of
Entrepreneur.

13. AFP: US blasts Belarussian president as original term in office expires.
14. AP: Russian Captain Cleared of Espionage. (Pasko)]

Moscow Times
July 21, 1999
Cabinet Seeks to Ax Social Programs

The government wants to suspend the social programs it can't afford next year
and give local authorities the power to decide just which social programs to
keep, a top official said Tuesday.

The Communist-dominated parliament has adopted reams of legislation to
increase social spending in recent years, often against the Cabinet's
warnings that Russia can't afford such generous funding.

Wages and pensions are routinely paid months late, so abstract promises to
raise payments - in the absence of real cash - have done little to improve
the plight of millions of poor Russians.

Now, the Cabinet wants to send to parliament a bill that would suspend many
of the previous laws on social payments in 2000, First Deputy Prime Minister
Viktor Khristenko said.

"It is a forced but necessary measure, because otherwise we would continue
cheating both ourselves and the people," Khristenko was quoted as saying by
Itar-Tass.

However, in an interview with the Segodnya newspaper, Khrist enko was quoted
as saying additional federal budget revenues might amount to 57 billion
rubles ($2.3 billion) this year.

The government has decided to set clear priorities in using them. "Two or
three, no more than that," Khristenko was quoted as saying.

In the interview he said Russia had every chance of receiving loans promised
by the IMF and World Bank in full "if nothing political happens again."

In a separate development Tuesday, the State Statistics Committee announced
that the country's foreign trade in January through May dropped to $43.5
billion, down 28.6 percent from the same period in 1998, the Interfax news
agency reported.

The decrease is largely due to the drop of imports, which have become too
dear for many Russians, and to the lower price of Russian exports because of
the fall of the ruble's value.

Yeltsin Demands Restraint Before Russia Vote
July 20, 1999
By Timothy Heritage

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian President Boris Yeltsin, taking a thinly veiled
swipe at Moscow mayor Yuri Luzhkov, urged politicians Tuesday to show more
restraint and responsibility in the runup to parliamentary and presidential
elections.

Yeltsin, who interrupted his vacation for what the Kremlin called a routine
medical check, made his appeal after potential presidential challenger
Luzhkov criticised the Kremlin and said a dirty tricks campaign was being
waged against him.

``Certain Russian politicians have made declarations (in recent days) which
are in essence provocative,'' presidential press secretary Dmitry Yakushkin
quoted Yeltsin as telling him.

``They should...refrain from making statements which stir political
passions and could lead to the destabilization of the situation in the
country,'' Yakushkin told Russian news agencies.

He did not say whom Yeltsin had in mind but quoted him as saying people who
made such statements did so to attract attention to themselves.

``Each politician must have a norm following the spirit and the letter of
the law and nothing, be it political ambitions or an election campaign,
should be allowed to violate this norm,'' he quoted Yeltsin as saying.

Yeltsin did not appear in public but Yakushkin said the president, who has
suffered health problems in recent months and had heart surgery in 1996,
had a health check at Moscow's Central Clinical Hospital. He gave no
details of the results.

The 68-year-old president's comments were his strongest on Russia's
political scene since he began his annual summer holiday on July 10.
Although he did not name names, there was little doubt he was referring to
Luzhkov.

Relations between the two have deteriorated as Luzhkov's presidential
ambitions have grown and as his Fatherland party's chances of performing
well in December's parliamentary election have increased.

Luzhkov, 62, said in an interview Sunday a recent police inquiry into a
firm run by his wife was part of a plot against him and added: ``The
authorities have fully outlived themselves.''

The only other controversial statements of note in the last few days have
been made in a war of words between two television stations owned by
business rivals Vladimir Gusinsky and Boris Berezovsky, whose political
interests have also now diverged.

Luzhkov has gone into open conflict with the Kremlin after years of
sometimes awkward, sometimes smooth ties.

He has not said whether he will stand in next year's presidential election
but few doubt he will run, and opinion polls show he could be among the
strongest challengers.

Yeltsin is barred from seeking a third term but wants to ensure the next
president is a political ally who will discourage any efforts to
investigate his or his family's actions during his presidential rule,
dating back to 1991.

Luzhkov is a fiercely independent politician on whom Yeltsin seems to
believe he cannot depend.

Yeltsin has not said whom he would like to become the next president but
sources close to the Kremlin say his close aides favor either First Deputy
Prime Minister Nikolai Aksyonenko or possibly Prime Minister Sergei
Stepashin.

YELTSIN WANTS "YOUNG, ENERGETIC" LEADERS AFTER HIM

MOSCOW, July 20 (Itar-Tass) - President Boris Yeltsin warned Russian
politicians against inventing scandals to attract public attention to
them and said he would like to see "young and energetic authority in
Russia" next century.
The president has paid attention to "the statements of clearly
provocative character made by some Russian politicians in recent days",
presidential spokesman Dmitry Yakushkin told Tass on Tuesday referring
to his meeting with the head of state.
He said the president was "concerned by the trend to use any
developments in Russia for loud political declarations in order to
attract the attention of the public, first and foremost, to the authors
of the statements", Yakushkin said.
He did not elaborate or name the politicians. In recent days most
attention was drawn to Yelena Baturina, the wife of Moscow mayor Yuri
Luzhkov, whose company was in the list of firms suspected of unlawful
transfer of money abroad.
Luzhkov, a clear presidential hopeful, qualified the launching of the
criminal case as a Kremlin provocation and said authorities had to be
changed.
According to Yakushkin, Yeltsin did not rule out that the declarations
in question could have been made "under the influence of emotions and
do not reflect the political position" of the politicians.
Yeltsin called "on all responsible politicians of the country to
refrain from statements which fan up political tensions and can
destabilise the situation".
"For each politician it is to be a norm to follow the letter and spirit
of the law and nothing, whether political ambitions or the election
campaign, should make him violate the norm", Yeltsin was quoted as
saying.
Yakushkin said that the president wants "just elections which would
form a new young and energetic authority in Russia in the 21st
century".

RUSSIA: PREPARATIONS FOR ELECTION IN FULL SWING

MOSCOW, July 20 (Itar-Tass) - Russia has entered a period, when
President Boris Yeltsin may issue a decree naming the date of the next
election to the State Duma. Under the Russian Constitution, the date of
a parliamentary election should be named by the head of state. This
should be done no earlier than five months and no later than four
months before the voting.
The day of the voting is known already. This is December 19, 1999. The
law on the election of deputies to the State Duma says that the voting
should be held on the first Sunday after the expiry of the
constitutional term of office of the previous Duma. The present Duma
was elected after the voting, held on December 17, 1995. So, the first
Sunday after that date falls on December 19.
It remains to be seen, however, whether or not December 19 will become
the voting day, because, under the law, the president may not name the
date of the election altogether. In this case the date will
automatically be named by the Central Electoral Commission, but the
voting will be held within different time limits -- on the first or
second Sunday of the month following the month of the expiry of the
Duma's term of office. This falls on January 1999. Whether or not such
developments are possible remains an open question.
The State Duma does not rule out such a possibility. Most cautious
politicians maintain that the president may choose the second way --
the holding of the parliamentary election in January, if this is
prompted by the situation in the country and some other circumstances,
primarily the degree of readiness of the democratic and reform-minded
forces to take part in the election, if it is held late in 1999.
Yeltsin said on more than one occasion that it is those forces that
should dominate the new Duma.
No matter whether the parliamentary election will be held in December
or January, preparations for it are in full swing already.
Parliamentary factions and groups do not make it obvious, because
officially the electoral campaign has not yet been started. Silence in
the premises of the State Duma is deceptive. Work is going on in the
offices, which is not seen to outsiders and which will soon be poured
out into the streets and the homes of electors.
The Communist faction, the biggest in the Duma, is on a round-the-clock
duty in the Duma. The Communists have not yet resolved the key problem:
will they act alone or will they form an electoral bloc with some other
political forces. The Agrarian Party, an important ideological ally of
the Communist Party, has announced already that it will take part in
the election by itself. Other left-wing forces may follow its example.
The Yabloko faction, which has no problem with finding allies, is
concerned over the "purity" of the election, although much time is
still left before the voting. Yabloko leader Grigori Yavlinsky favours
effective public control over the voting process.
The Liberal Democratic faction, led by Vladimir Zhirinovsky, started
the electoral campaign with a feeling of confidence. They are not going
for form any alliances and are ready to vie for seats in the Duma at
any time.
The parliamentary faction of the Our Home Is Russian (NDR) movement is
now resolving the problem of key importance: should it act alone or
should it form a coalition with other right-of-centre political forces?
The parties are getting prepared to fight for votes of electors, and it
is impossible to predict the outcome.

Lebed Denies Presidential Bid

TIBLISI, Jul 20, 1999 -- (Reuters) Alexander Lebed, a retired Russian general
and regional governor often seen as a likely presidential contender,
dismissed as "idiocies" any ideas that he might run in next year's election.

"Regarding any such idiocies -- that I am running for president -- I have
made no announcement," he said in an interview with a television station in
the former Soviet republic of Georgia, where he was on a brief visit.

Lebed, a gravelly-voiced ex-paratroop general who polled an unexpectedly
strong third in Russia's last presidential election in 1996, usually figures
on lists of likely challengers in the next election, set for June 2000.

But since becoming governor of the vast Siberian region of Krasnoyarsk last
year, where he has clashed angrily with powerful regional businessmen, he has
seen his national popularity wane somewhat in opinion polls.

He has had to fight accusations that he sought the governorship only to
further national political ambitions, and has said that he would wait to see
how affairs turn out in Krasnoyarsk before deciding whether to run for
president.