July 8, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3382 3383

1. Moscow Times: Andrei Piontkovsky, SEASON OF DISCONTENT: Nomenklatura
Changes Aren't Real Reforms.

2. Moscow NTV Carries Poll on Presidential Candidates.
3. Segodnya: Boris Berezovsky Has Bought "Kommersant"
4. Komsomolskaya Pravda: Anatoly Chubais: Economic Growth In Russia.
5. Fritz Ermarth; Re: Goodman (3381).
6. Hamburg's Die Woche: Lebed: US Warfare in Kosovo 'Stupid,' 'Untalented'
7. Alex Elder: Rubles to Dollars/Foreword for the 1999 Dutch Edition.
8. Tom White: Entreprenuer 2.
9. RFE/RL: Floriana Fossato, Views Differ On Kremlin Push For Union With
Belarus.

10. Los Angeles Times editorial: Russia's Perilous Game.
11. AP: Russia and Belarus Move To Re-Unite.
12. Jamestown Foundation Monitor: ANOTHER POSSIBILITY: YELTSIN BANS
COMMUNISTS AND THEN RESIGNS.

12. AP: Russia Starting To Pay Wages On Time.]

Moscow Times
July 8, 1999
SEASON OF DISCONTENT: Nomenklatura Changes Aren't Real Reforms
By Andrei Piontkovsky

The atmosphere at the seminars on Russia I recently attended at U.S.
political science centers were reminiscent of meetings held by the radical
Russian opposition.

The Clinton administration's policy toward Russia was sharply criticized by
both university liberals and conservative Republicans.

The main criticisms directed at U.S. President Bill Clinton were his
unqualified and uncritical support for Boris Yeltsin, along with the
recommendations of U.S. advisers, which led to the formation of bandit
capitalism and the unprecedented robbery of the population and, as a result,
the growth of anti-Americanism. The International Monetary Fund, naturally,
also caught it. It would have been painful to see Gerard Belanger, before
whom more than one Russian deputy prime minister has snapped to attention,
when former Polish finance minister Grzegorz Kolodko explained the secret of
the Polish reforms' success. The Poles, he said, always very carefully
listened to the IMF's recommendations, but never followed them.

The presence of Kolodko provoked a discussion of an extremely substantive
theme - why did the reforms succeed in Poland but not in Russia. The fact
that the question was framed this way allowed me to interrupt the stream of
American self-flagellation and note that they exaggerate their influence on
events in Russia. Of course they made many stupid mistakes, but the
historical process in Russia over the last 10 to 15 years was determined
above all by its own internal dynamic.

In this connection it is worth pondering over two circumstances. Colossal
historical cataclysms, it would seem, have taken place in Russia - the
break-up of an empire, the collapse of a totalitarian regime and an economic
catastrophe. Under similar circumstances, the political class of the previous
regime would have been sent en masse to the guillotine, to the Gulag or, in a
more vegetarian time, into political oblivion. The Russian political class to
a man is made up of the same people that comprised the Soviet political
class. And the second question: Why did the communists so uncomplainingly
hand over power in 1991? Why didn't they jail a couple of hundred
intellectuals chatting at the kitchen table, why didn't they oust Gorbachev
much earlier, and finally, why didn't they shoot the crowd at the White House
in August 1991?

The answer to both of these questions is one and the same. Because they did
not give up power. They simply carried out a grandiose operation of
converting their totalitarian collective political power into individual
financial power for their most worthy representatives. All the foundations of
the system of bandit capitalism were laid not in 1992-1995, but in 1988-1991
- the Supreme Soviet law on the rights of enterprise directors, the
Politburo's secret instruction on commercial activities by the Party, and so
on. It was then that private owners were nominated, it was then that all of
today's financial empires were born (many of today's oligarchs were Komsomol
committee secretaries), it was then that control over financial flows was
privatized. The guilt of the "reformers" and their Western advisers was that
they went for a compromise with this system, and then developed it, naming
the super-rich through loans-for-shares auctions.

In Poland, a democratic revolution took place; in Russia, a nomenklatura
Thermidor. That is the difference.

Moscow NTV Carries Poll on Presidential Candidates

NTV
July 4, 1999
[translation for personal use only]

[Presenter Yevgeniy Kiselev] If presidential
elections had taken place this Sunday [4 July], there would have been no
particular changes in the list of the most likely candidates for the
presidency [in 2000]. The leading candidates remain Gennadiy Zyuganov
with 18 per cent of the votes of those polled and Yevgeniy Primakov with
16 per cent. Third is Moscow mayor Yuriy Luzhkov with 14 per cent. Nine
per cent would vote for Yabloko leader Grigoriy Yavlinskiy. And seven per
cent would be polled by each of Aleksandr Lebed, Sergey Stepashin and
Vladimir Zhirinovskiy.
The balance of forces changes somewhat if Primakov, as he has stated on
several occasions, decides not to take part in the presidential election
campaign. In that event, Luzhkov and Zyuganov win through confidently to
the run-off round. Zyuganov would get 20 per cent in the first round,
followed by Luzhkov with 16 per cent, and Yavlinskiy with 11 per cent.
After them come Stepashin on 9 per cent, Lebed on 8 per cent and
Zhirinovskiy on 7 per cent of the votes of those polled.
Once a month the sociologists determine what the result of the
presidential elections might be if this Sunday there was a second round
and various combinations from the above list were in the run-off. Let's
take the top five - Primakov, Zyuganov, Luzhkov, Yavlinskiy and Stepashin.
Yavlinskiy loses to all the other four by a considerable margin, with the
exception of Zyuganov. Zyuganov would beat Yavlinskiy by just two per
cent, with 30 per cent against 28. This means that Yavlinskiy would have
real chances of beating Zyuganov.
Zyuganov in his turn only beats Yavlinskiy and loses out to all the rest
by a
fairly large margin. Luzhkov beats both Yavlinskiy and Zyuganov, but
loses out to Primakov and - quite unexpectedly - to Stepashin, although
by a small margin. Thirty-one per cent would vote for Luzhkov while 33
per cent of those polled would vote for Stepashin.
So, here we have the first poll about a run-off where the name Stepashin
was present, and immediately there is a minor sensation. It seems that
Stepashin is one of the strongest potential participants in a second
round. If a run-off for president took place this Sunday, Stepashin would
only lose to his predecessor, Yevgeniy Primakov, and by a margin of 25 to
46 per cent. Primakov remains the strongest candidate for president.
[Video: graphic showing the photos of the candidates, their ratings; the
poll was carried out among a representative sample of 1,500 respondents
across the entire Federation].

Russia Today press summaries
Segodnya
July 7, 1999
Boris Berezovsky Has Bought "Kommersant"
OFFICIALLY, ONLY ONE SIXTH OF IT
Summary
Vladimir Yakovlev, founder and owner of the most popular Russian business
daily "Kommersant" and who now resides in the U.S., has sold his 85 percent
stake in the company to American Capital.

Twenty-eight-year-old Iranian Kia Jurabchian, founder of American Capital
and a resident of London, has become the new proprietor of the Kommersant
publishing house.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Jurabchian said that he bought Kommersant
for purely business reasons and that the deal was in no way connected with
the Russian political scene. Segodnya questioned this, noting that American
Capital has only existed for a year and is half American, half off-shore
company. No one in Russia or abroad had ever heard of it before.

Segodnya suggested that American Capital has Russian roots, and that the
deal was only one step in helping media tycoon Boris Berezovsky gain
control of Kommersant. On Tuesday, Berezovsky confirmed his intention to
buy Kommersant.

Russia Today press summaries
Komsomolskaya Pravda
July 7, 1999
Anatoly Chubais: Economic Growth In Russia
Summary
The daily interviewed Anatoly Chubais, head of the national grid controller
EES and a former first deputy prime minister and presidential chief of staff.

Commenting on the economic situation in Russia, Chubais said that the
economy is obviously growing. Demand for Russian products on world markets
is rising. Imports have decreased as a result of the ruble devaluation, and
this has enabled Russian producers to get additional revenue from Russian
consumers.

On the issue of the "Communist threat," Chubais said that after Yevgeny
Primakov's government, which consisted mainly of Communists, was dismissed
this year, it became obvious that the Communists could not turn back the
clock in the country. "They could not fulfill any of their slogans --
nationalization, a ban on dollars in the country or state price controls,"
Chubais said.

Chubais, who also headed President Boris Yeltsin's re-election campaign,
said that on the eve of new presidential elections, Sergei Stepashin's
government should not try to solve broad economic problems. "To solve the
problems of non-payments, the total inefficiency of the tax system, the
lack of real mechanisms for property protection and corruption, the
government must have a broad political support," he said. These are tasks
for those who will rule the country after the elections.