July 7, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3381

1. Reuters: Bush adviser sees limits on U.S. foreign forays (Condoleezza
Rice).

2. Jacob Kipp: When is a "Bear" not a bomber.
3. Judith Shapiro: Re:3380-Why the inaccuracy in reporting about Russia.
4. Pavel Palazchenko: RUSSIA AND THE WEST: BACK IN BUSINESS?
5. Reuters: Despite weakened state, Russia still a big problem.
6. Moscow Times editorial: A Lousy Day In Russia For Free Speech.
7. Dale R Herspring: Ermarth, Merry, Hough, etc.
8. Melvin Goodman: The Mythology of Fritz Ermarth.
9. Reuters: Russia court eases opposition fears over PM powers.
10. Interfax: Poll Shows Russians' Attitude to Kosovo Deployment.
11. Radiostantsiya Ekho Moskvy: Kozyrev Laments Country's 'Political
Virus'

12. Interfax: Aksenenko's Views on Yeltsin, Chernomyrdin.
13. Stratfor commentary: Yeltsin Keeps Eye on Security Service Heads.
14. Boston Globe: David Filipov, Russia raids Chechnya as war tensions
return.

15. Moscow Times: Yulia Latynina, INSIDE RUSSIA: Kompromat's Impact Begins
To Wear Off.

16. AP: Russian Prime Minister To Visit D.C.]

Bush adviser sees limits on U.S. foreign forays (Condoleezza Rice)
By Alan Elsner, Political Correspondent

PALO ALTO, July 6 (Reuters) - The United States should not intervene
militarily in foreign humanitarian disasters, no matter how terrible, unless
it has a clear strategic interest at stake, says a chief foreign policy
adviser to Republican presidential front-runner George W. Bush.

Condoleezza Rice told Reuters in an interview she would urge Bush to get away
from the Clinton administration's policy, which she said was based on trying
to establish "international humanitarian norms," and return to one based on a
cold analysis of U.S. interests.

The Texas governor leads the field for the 2000 Republican presidential
nomination by a wide margin. Bush also is leading Vice President Al Gore, the
front-runner for the Democratic nomination, by 15-20 percentage points in
most recent polls, increasing speculation about what he might do if elected.

"What do you do about the horrible humanitarian, ethnic disturbances that are
there in various corners of the globe? It is not a sufficient condition for
the deployment of American force that there is a humanitarian disaster," Rice
said on Friday.

"Ideally you would intervene whenever you could to avoid or to stop man's
inhumanity to man. But there are limitations on what you can do," she said.

Rice, 44, served on the National Security Council under Bush's father, former
president George Bush, as an expert on arms control and Soviet affairs.

She recently stepped down as provost of Stanford University to become a
member of the 10-member Bush presidential exploratory committee and has been
tipped for a top foreign policy job, perhaps National Security Adviser,
should he win.

Rice's chief criticism of President Bill Clinton's foreign policy was that it
lacked focus and had become hostage to a kind of international humanitarian
agenda.

"There's a tendency to want to have everything be clothed in humanitarian
terms, to be somewhat uncomfortable about the exercise of American power in
the service of American interests rather than in some larger international
interests that are somehow norms-based," she said.

Asked about U.S. policy toward Moscow, Rice said the Clinton administration
had become too involved in Russian internal politics, trying to prop up
President Boris Yeltsin. As a result, the United States was deeply unpopular
with the Russian people.

"The challenge for the United States is to find a way to deal with the
Russians on the issues we really have to deal with: further destruction of
nuclear warheads, safety issues around nuclear command and control and
proliferation issues, both intentional and leakage," Rice said.

Expressing pessimism about Russia's short-term future, Rice said it might be
a generation until the Russians were ready for real economic reform.

"I'd make very clear to the Russians that when and if they are ready for real
economic reform, that the United States and the Western world will be
prepared to try and help with that process," she said.

"But I now believe that might be a generation. It seems to me that things are
so broken now, that they are so concerned about stability that the ability to
do anything for the long term of the economy looks to be lacking."

Looking ahead to the Russian presidential election next summer, Rice said her
chief hope was for the emergence of a new leader who was not connected to
organized crime.

"The state has become so weak that organized crime is effectively doing the
function of the state now. It's the policing function of the state, it's the
protection function of the state and I'm often asked, who would you like to
win the election in June 2000? My answer to that is: I would just like to see
the Russians find someone who is not corrupt, who is not on the take
personally," she said.

Rice, who supported NATO expansion to include Poland, Hungary and the Czech
Republic, said she was not ready to contemplate any further expansion any
time soon.

"While we should leave the door open for future expansion, we should be very
slow about it now. ... A military alliance can't just be a gardening party.
Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic made sense strategically. You now have
to think both about what the strategic rationale would be for the inclusion
of other countries," she said.