July 1, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3371 3372 3373

1. AP: U.S. downplays Russia bomber incident.
2. AP: For Young Nikita, Cold War Rages.
3. Komsomolskaya Pravda: Yevgeniy Savostyanov: Berezovsky Has Split
Yeltsin's
Family.

4. Kommersant: Yegor Gaidar Will Run For Moscow Mayor.
5. Itar-Tass: Stepashin Believes in Political Stability in Russia.
6. Itar-Tass: Berezovsky Forecasts Presidential Future for Stepashin.
7. Joan Urban: Re Tom Manson and the "real Russia."
8. Andrei Liakhov: RE: 3369-Legal System Information.
9. The Russia Journal: Ajay Goyal, Why isn't Warren Buffet Investing Here?
10. Reuters: Russia tops list for off-beat business risks.
11. Nathan Stowell: Response to Manson (#3371).
12. Oleg Borissov: Re: Keith Hudson:#3364. (Re Russians living abroad).
13. Newsday: Paul Saunders, Summers Is a Bad Pick to Run Treasury.
14. Washington Post: David Hoffman, Audit Shows Russia Misled IMF on Loan.
15. AFP: Two thirds of Russian political parties to be liquidated:
Minister.]

********

U.S. downplays Russia bomber incident
By Randall Mikkelsen

WASHINGTON, July 1 (Reuters) - The United States, echoing Russian comments
playing down the interception of two Russian strategic bombers by U.S.
fighter jets near Iceland, said on Thursday it was unconcerned by the
incident.

``It was not a militarily significant event,'' White House spokesman Joe
Lockhart said. ``The U.S. routinely protects the airspace of Iceland and I
don't think there's anyone who believed that these two propeller bombers
posed a significant military threat.''

U.S. fighters intercepted the propeller-driven TU-95 Bear bombers near
NATO-member Iceland last Friday and escorted them around the island, U.S.
officials said.

The bombers were in international airspace as part of a military exercise
announced in advance by the Russian government, National Security Council
spokesman P.J. Crowley said.

U.S. officials said the United States may not have been aware in advance of
the precise routes of the bombers, and described the interception as most
likely a routine precaution.

Crowley said he was unaware of any contacts between the U.S. and Russian
governments after the interception.

``Russia routinely holds military exercises and we are not particularly
troubled by this,'' he said. ``I don't think that there's any need to
over-dramatise this.''

The Russian Air Force denied any wrongdoing.

``Our planes did not violate any laws in that area,'' a Russian Air Force
spokesman said, declining further comment.

Norway also scrambled jets to meet two TU-140 Blackjack bombers that had
flown down the Norwegian coastline, but the interceptors failed to reach
the bombers before they turned back, U.S. officials said.

The Washington Post, which first reported the incident in Thursday's
editions, quoted U.S. officials as saying the incident had taken place
during Moscow's largest military exercises since the end of the Cold War.

Crowley disputed this assessment.

``The Russians have had exercises of this nature on multiple occasions
since the end of the Cold War,'' he said.

The exercise and interception came amid heightened concern in Washington
about Russian President Boris Yeltsin's control over his government and
armed forces.

About 200 Russian troops surprised NATO three weeks ago by occupying the
airport in Pristina, the capital of the Serbian province of Kosovo,
following an international peace deal with Yugoslavia and before NATO
peacekeepers could arrive.

The ensuing standoff was resolved only after several days of negotiations
over the terms for Russian troops to take part in the NATO-led peacekeeping
force for Kosovo.

For Young Nikita, Cold War Rages
July 1, 1999
By VLADIMIR ISACHENKOV

MOSCOW (AP) - The grandson and namesake of the late Soviet leader Nikita
Khrushchev says the Cold War is still raging in Russia's bureaucracy.

Once his father, Sergei Khrushchev, applied for U.S. citizenship, the young
Nikita Khrushchev found that doors that were previously open to him were
shut in his face.

``My experience during the last few days has shown that there are people in
Russia for whom the Cold War is still going on,'' Khrushchev wrote in a
column published Wednesday in the liberal weekly Moscow News.

Sergei Khrushchev has been living in Rhode Island for most of the last
decade. He has successfully passed the U.S. citizenship test and is to take
his pledge of allegiance in July.

Nikita Khrushchev has long been helping his father, a former missile
engineer turned writer, gather material for his books from Russian archives
and other institutions.

But now that Sergei Khrushchev is about to become a U.S. citizen, the son's
job has suddenly grown more complicated. Officials are shunning him because
of his father's move.

A missile design bureau turned Nikita Khrushchev down when he asked for a
picture of an old missile, saying it would not have contact with a
foreigner without permission from the Federal Security Service, the main
successor of the KGB.

His argument that he is a Russian citizen didn't help.

And when Khrushchev turned to an archive to make copies of some documents,
a custodian told him he would have to pay 40 times the previous price - and
in hard currency, not rubles - because of his father's new status.

Finally, a former top Soviet official whom his father had asked him to
contact lashed out at him in a telephone conversation, saying he should be
persecuted as a relative of an ``enemy of the people'' - a regular practice
under Soviet dictator Josef Stalin. Khrushchev didn't name the former
official.

``This isn't the Cold War,'' he summed up. ``But it's not normal peace,
either.''

Russia Today press summaries
Komsomolskaya Pravda
Yevgeniy Savostyanov: Berezovsky Has Split Yeltsin's Family
Summary
Former head of presidential administration Savostyanov spoke about the ways
of the Kremlin in an interview.

Soavostyanov said that the ideal successor to Yeltsin should guarantee that
economic interests of the president's entourage -- Dyachenko, Berezovsky and
Abramovich – are observed. "I do not know about Chubais," he said, while
adding that the successor should not allow a leftist revanche in the country.

Speaking about the role of Berezovsky in Yeltsin's family, Savostyanov said:
"Berezovsky has a very strong intellectual influence on Yeltsin's daughter
Dyachenko. In certain situations I saw that others influenced her as well.
These included Igor Malashenko (head of NTV) and Anatoly Chubais, former head
of the presidential administration. Yet Berezovsky's influence has been much
stronger. He put his thoughts into her head, which she then passed to her
father. Thus, Dyachenko was used to pass information to the president. And
this worked, because the capability of Yeltsin to analyze and apprehend
information himself is very limited".

Savostyanov also said that he does not consider Tatyana Dyachenko’s financial
dependence on Berezovsky to be impossible.

Russia Today press summaries
Kommersant
Yegor Gaidar Will Run For Moscow Mayor
Summary
Moscow Mayor Yury Luzhkov has another contender at the upcoming elections.
"The Right Cause" coalition has fronted its own candidate - former premier
Yegor Gaidar. Gaidar will be joined by Sergey Kiriyenko who also announced
his candidacy.

Kiriyenko is also a member of the "Right Cause" movement, which unites "young
reformists" from previous governments. However, the movement fears that he is
going to have an independent campaign at the parliamentary and mayoral
elections. Thus, leadership of the movement is trying to persuade Gaidar to
run, telling him that he is still popular in Moscow. Besides, Gaidar was the
first politician to openly criticize Moscow Mayor Luzhkov. His economic
findings proved that the system of management in Moscow is not efficient. One
anti-Luzhkov paper, published last year, even resulted in a slandering
lawsuit initiated by the Moscow mayor.

Kiriyenko started to attack the Moscow mayor only a month ago, but his attack
has been very loud and decisive. He said that he does not care about the
attitude of the coalition towards his actions, but hopes that the movement
will not front its candidate at the Moscow mayoral elections.

********

Stepashin Believes in Political Stability in Russia.

SALZBURG, July 1 (Itar-Tass) -- Russian Prime Minister Sergei Stepashin told
the economic summit of the Central and East European countries in Salzburg on
Thursday that there is evidence of the achievement of political stability in
Russia and expressed confidence that political stability will keep Russia on
track for further reform.

"The recent joint efforts of the legislative and executive branches of power
in Russia testify to the fact that political stability has been reached in
the country," Russian Prime Minister Sergei Stepashin said in his address to
the economic summit of the Central and East European countries which is held
in this Austrian city.

Sergei Stepashin noted that relations between the government and the State
Duma, or the lower house of Russian parliament, were far from simple, but the
same was true about Austria, as relations between the executive and
parliament are always complex.

Stepashin pointed to the fact that the State Duma recently voted in favour of
passing 90 percent of the government package of legislational initiatives
approved by the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank, which, he
said, testified to the attainment of political stability in Russia.

Stepashin expressed confidence that "the next State Duma which will be formed
after the forthcoming parliamentary elections must become more constructive
and less politicised." According to the Prime Minister, the present State
Duma "is undoubtedly excessively politicised."

Sergei Stepashin said "there are all prerequisites" for the constructive
development, which "could provide a good stepping stone towards the future
election of the President of Russia."

"Russia will never turn back, I am absolutely confident. A splendid younger
generation is rising, and we have strong regions," the Russian prime minister
said.

********

Berezovsky Forecasts Presidential Future for Stepashin.

SALZBURG, July 1 (Itar-Tass) -- If Sergei Stepashin sticks to "a tough
position of right-wing reforms, he will have a real chance" to become
Russia's President in the future, according to Russian business tycoon Boris
Berezovsky.

Berezovsky who was speaking in an interview with journalists covering the
economic summit of the Central and East European countries in Salzburg
declared that "Stepashin is increasingly becoming a figure in Russia's
political life."