June 25, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3360 3361

1. Itar-Tass: Moscow Mayor Says Russia 'Not Independent'
2. AP: Khrushchev's Son Passes U.S. Test.
3. Drudge Report: KOSOVO PLAN THWARTED: HUNGARY, BULGARIA, ROMANIA BLOCKED
RUSSIANS FROM AIR SPACE!

4. Moscow Times: Jonas Bernstein, PARTY LINES: Russia's Leader In
Anti-Graft Fight Is Swiss.

5. Moskovskiy Komsomolets: Yelena Yegorova, The Word 'Fatherland' Is Worse
Than An Obscenity. Censorship Reintroduced to ORT. (Russian TV Ridiculed for
Banning Song)

6. Interfax: Poll Shows Russians Have Lost Interest in Yugoslavia.
7. RFE/RL: Floriana Fossato, Russia: Media Congress Turns Into Political
Forum.

8. H-NET BOOK REVIEW: Bourgeois Revolution or Incompetent Revolutionary?
David Stone reviews Jerry Hough's Democratization and Revolution in the USSR,
1985-1991.

9. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Dina Tanatova, Russian Press Rating: Back to State
Oversight? (Poll Shows Lack of Trust in Russian Media)

10. Moskovskiy Komsomolets: Mikhail Rostovskiy, Yet Another Heir. Is
Stepashin Going To Lose His Legacy. (Kremlin Wants Aksenenko as Yeltsin Heir)

11. The Economist: Russian financial disinformation.
12. UPI: Threat reduction agreement extended.
13. Interfax: Russia's Dubinin: IMF Tranche Was Used Legally.]

Moscow Mayor Says Russia 'Not Independent'

MOSCOW, June 18 (Itar-Tass) - Moscow Mayor Yuri
Luzhkov said on Friday that in the current international situation Russia
has turned to be "not independent," especially in its foreign policy.
Thus, Russia was plainly "disregarded" in the settlement of the Balkans
conflict, Luzhkov said at the Federal Border Guards Academy.

Moreover, Russia is being pushed toward certain steps in the area of
financial
and economic policy, namely a fixed emission level or excise duties, he
noted. In his words, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) "is seeking to
dictate what the Russian government and state should do," but the IMF
does not fully comprehend Russia and tries such approaches on it that are
valid for "minor states."

"Economic pressure on the Russia population will be heightened" when
governmental bills that have been coordinated with the IMF are passed,
the Moscow Mayor stressed and suggested that "another path" be taken,
i.e. developing real sector of the economy rather than putting an "extra
burden on the impoverished population."

Khrushchev's Son Passes U.S. Test
June 23, 1999
By TERRENCE PETTY

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - Sergei Khrushchev breezed through the U.S.
citizenship test today, and next month will swear loyalty to a country and
way of life that Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev - his father - promised to
bury.

``We both passed,'' Khrushchev said with a smile as he and his wife left
the Providence office of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service.

``Our heart is here. We will be good citizens,'' said the 63-year-old
Khrushchev, who looks much like his deceased dad.

Khrushchev missed one out of 20 questions on the test. His wife, Valentina
Golenko, got all of them right.

Back during the Cold War, when Nikita Khrushchev was in power, his son's
decision to become an American would probably have been seen as an act of
treason. So is Nikita Khrushchev spinning in his grave?

Sergei Khrushchev doesn't think so.

``The world has changed'' since the times when his father was in power, he
said. But then he added: ``I hope he would approve.''

Khrushchev has said his father's ``we will bury you'' remark was
misunderstood. The remark meant that capitalism would die and that the
Soviet economic system would bury it.

Khrushchev was besieged by reporters after taking the citizenship test. All
wanted to know why he had decided to become an American citizen.

``When you are living in a country, it is natural to become a citizen,''
replied Khrushchev, who moved to the United States in 1991 and is a
professor at Brown University.

He argued there was no irony in him becoming an American citizen because
his country of birth and the United States are no longer enemies.

Still, Khrushchev conceded there might be Stalinists back in his homeland
who would view him as a traitor.

``But you find crazy people everywhere,'' he said.

At the height of the Cold War, Khrushchev was an engineer who built rockets
that were pointed at the West. He came to the United States first as a
visiting professor. He says he decided to stay because he liked the freedom
the found here.

If it weren't for their heavy Russian accents, Khrushchev and his wife
would seem as American as baseball, apple pie and hot dogs.

They have a ranch house in a Providence suburb. He drives a Buick.

He and his wife will be taking the citizenship oath on July 12.

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX THU, JUNE 24, 1999 20:59:22 ET XXXXX

KOSOVO PLAN THWARTED: HUNGARY, BULGARIA, ROMANIA BLOCKED RUSSIANS FROM AIR
SPACE!

Russia's military had a detailed plan to seize Kosovo's main airport days
before 200 Russians
drove there from Bosnia ahead of the NATO peacekeeping operation,
superreporter Bill Gertz
revealed in Thursday's WASHINGTON TIMES.

And on Friday, the WASHINGTON POST expands on the Gertz exclusive:

Russia's surprise deployment of those 200 troops was part of a scheme to
send a contingent of
1,000 or more men into Kosovo -- a contingent ordered to stake out a
Russian zone in the NW
sector of the province!

"The carefully planned operation was thwarted when the governments of
Hungary, Bulgaria and
Romania, prodded by the United States, denied Russian requests to use their
airspace to fly
more Russians into Kosovo," reports the paper's David Hoffman and Bob Kaiser.

Moscow Times
June 25, 1999
PARTY LINES: Russia's Leader In Anti-Graft Fight Is Swiss
By Jonas Bernstein
Staff Writer

It has become de rigeur to hold forth against corruption. International
Monetary Fund Managing Director Michel Camdessus recently did in St.
Petersburg, and Prime Minister Sergei Stepashin does so regularly. But
while the changing rhetoric is welcome, talk is, as they say, cheap. It is
enough to remember that President Boris Yeltsin announced the first of his
many anti-corruption campaigns back in 1992. Their failure should have made
it clear that fighting corruption here is, as Alexander Lebed once put it,
like shadow boxing.

This week saw a fresh example of Russian authorities' selectivity when it
comes to corruption: The Supreme Court's decision to uphold the legality of
an investigation into alleged abuses of office by Yury Skuratov, the
suspended prosecutor general. Meanwhile, according to Skuratov himself and
various media, the anti-corruption cases Skuratov launched - involving the
Central Bank, the business activities of several key "oligarchs" and, most
importantly, the Kremlin itself - have been frozen.

Skuratov is no Russian Frank Serpico. Various media have reported that
Skuratov's alleged romp with two call girls was arranged (and filmed) by
several bankers whose own activities were under investigation. Skuratov's
investigations, apparently, were also partly instigated by the Kremlin's
opponents in the State Duma and elsewhere.

But there is another person involved in these investigations, one who has
no dog in Russia's domestic political fight - Swiss federal prosecutor
Carla Del Ponte. She, as Kommersant noted Thursday, reportedly supplied
Skuratov last March with "valuable operational information on bank accounts
of the presidential entourage."

Del Ponte is no novice in such matters: She played a key role in ferreting
out more than $130 million deposited into Swiss banks by Raul Salinas,
brother of former Mexican President Carlos Salinas - much of which,
prosecutors in both countries believe, came from payments made by Colombian
drug cartels. Raul Salinas was sentenced to 50 years for murder in
January, while Carlos Salinas remains in exile. The prosecution of Raul
Salinas was pushed by Mexican President Ernesto Zedillo, Carlos Salinas'
hand-picked successor. The potential parallels cannot be lost on the
Kremlin.

Yet Del Ponte's joint efforts with Skuratov are viewed with suspicion not
only here. The Swiss foreign ministry, at the request of its Russian
counterpart, has reportedly forbidden Swiss officials from meeting with
Skuratov or sharing information with him, should his planned trip to
Switzerland, at Del Ponte's invitation, ever materialize. On Thursday, a
Swiss member of the Council of Europe's Parliamentary Assembly accused Del
Ponte of leaking confidential information and interfering in Russia's
internal affairs. Curiously, these things happened in the same week
Switzerland agreed to help track down funds allegedly stashed away by
Slobodan Milosevic.

"The question of the best means to employ to prevent a conspiracy from
arising in high places with the object of obtaining immunity from the law
is one of the most difficult political problems to solve," the French
philosopher Simone Weil wrote more than a half century ago. "It can only be
solved if there are men whose duty it is to prevent such a conspiracy, and
whose situation in life is such that they are not tempted to enter it
themselves."

When it come to Russia, those "men," it seems, are a Swiss woman.

Russian TV Ridiculed for Banning Song

Moskovskiy Komsomolets
[translation for personal use only]
Report by Yelena Yegorova: "The Word 'Fatherland' Is Worse Than An
Obscenity. Censorship Reintroduced to ORT"

The Kremlin has done nothing all week but parade
its love for Luzhkov in public. But friendly embraces before the lenses
of the TV cameras are one thing, and the true feelings harbored for the
capital's mayor in the corridors of power another thing entirely....

On 17 and 18 June singer and deputy Yuriy Kobzon was due to have
recorded two new songs for the "Song of the Year" program, which goes out
on ORT [Russian Public Television]. As agreed, he sent the sound
recordings to the television studio in advance and waited for an
invitation to shoot the video footage. He did not have to wait for long.

On a hot summer's morning Kobzon received a phone call from Anna
Dmitriyeva -- the program's editor -- who asked him in apologetic tones
to "modify your repertoire a little." "In what sense?" Kobzon asked,
taken aback. "Well, you understand, Iosif Davydovich," Alla Dmitriyeva
launched into explanations, "the second song you suggested, 'Arise,
Fatherland!', in the directors' opinion arouses unnecessary associations.
Well, why would we advertise Fatherland and Luzhkov?"

At first Kobzon thought that they were playing a joke on him. Or at the
very worst that they were mocking him. But that was not the case. ORT's
musical directors stuck to their guns: Either change the song, or sing
just one -- "Wait for the Season." A very famous song, and one in tune
with the mood of Russians languishing from the heat! Until yesterday
Kobzon hoped that, at least with the arrival of Shabdurasulov [as deputy
chief of the Presidential Staff in charge of the media, public relations,
and speech writers], this strange episode could be closed successfully.

However, Shabdurasulov did not even think of apologizing. The song
"Arise, Fatherland!" (music by Igor Demarin, words by Nikolay Zinovyev)
was banned from ORT.

"They invited me to phone Berezovskiy. "Only he has the power, they told
me, to settle this question," Kobzon said in an interview with Moskovskiy
Komsomolets. "Yes, I know Boris Abramovich well; but I'll be darned if
I'll humble myself before anybody. Why should some Shabdurasulov tell me
what I can sing and what I cannot sing? It is an outrage! What, has
censorship been reintroduced in Russia? Under Soviet power every singer
had a special creative passport in which the songs authorized for
performance by the artistic council were recorded. Now look: Even in
those days they trusted me and I did not have any creative passport. Yet
now it turns out that I have to ask for permission to sing about my
Fatherland, about my Motherland? By the way, it is my dream that 'Arise,
Fatherland!' should become the Russian national anthem."

Even if you forget the obvious absurdity of the situation, ORT was
needlessly playing safe. A song is a song, and if not for the refrain no
one would have paid any attention to it. From which it follows that the
word "fatherland" is worse than an obscenity. And soon, it would appear,
it will be removed from textbooks, from Pushkin's verses, from articles,
and so on and so forth. Maybe even the prayer "Our Father" will be
banned. So as not to arouse unnecessary associations. What "father"?
Luzhkov perhaps?

Poll Shows Russians Have Lost Interest in Yugoslavia

MOSCOW, June 18 (Interfax) -- The interest on the
part of Russians in the Balkan developments, which was very high at the
beginning of air strikes in Yugoslavia, began to diminish fairly quickly
and has now decreased by half. The number of people telling Public
Opinion fund pollsters that they enquire about the Yugoslav news several
times a day dropped from 43% on April 3 to 23% on June 5. Both polls
covered 1,500 people. Those blaming NATO for the conflict dropped from
63% in April to 49% in June. Yugoslavia was blamed by 7% and 11%,
respectively. Russians regarding the air campaign against Yugoslavia as a
direct threat to Russia's security dropped from 70% in April to 64% in
June.

Russia: Media Congress Turns Into Political Forum
By Floriana Fossato

Moscow, 24 June 1999 (RFE/RL) -- A congress of Russian language newspapers
and television stations began this week in Moscow and is now in the Black
Sea resort of Sochi.

About 300 participants from 48 countries are attending the event, which was
organized in part by the Itar-Tass news agency.

Our correspondent reports that one of the most peculiar features of the
first two days of the event was its emphasis on politics rather than on
media issues.

The goal of the gathering -- highlighted by Russian President Boris Yeltsin
in his opening message -- was to have been the exchange of professional
information and contacts among Russian-language journalists.

However, judging by the remarks made by many leading politicians who
stopped by to address the congress, it's clear the event is being seen as a
warm-up for Russia's upcoming parliamentary and presidential elections.

Prime Minister Sergei Stepashin opened the congress Monday by emphasizing
the need to support Russian citizens abroad. With his eyes clearly on the
economy and his government's need to attract foreign loans, he put an
economic twist on the issue. He said Russians abroad are well placed to
encourage foreign businesses to invest and help restore trade ties.

Former Prime Minister Sergei Kiriyenko was also on hand for a speech.
Kiriyenko heads a centrist political movement called "New Force" and is a
candidate to be Moscow's next mayor.

In a bid to possibly win support for the mayoral vote (set for the end of
the year), he told participants he thinks Yeltsin should resign before his
term expires next June. He said the resignation would be part of the
process of handing power back to the Russian people.

Kiriyenko will be running against popular incumbent Mayor Yuri Luzhkov.
Luzhkov, however, has his sights set higher. He wants to be Russia's next
president.

In his remarks to the congress, Luzhkov openly complained about what he
called the Kremlin's ongoing "anti-Luzhkov" campaign.

Luzhkov's relations with the Kremlin have been difficult for more than a
year, but they've really soured in the past few weeks. Luzhkov was one of
the first top politicians to call openly for Yeltsin's resignation, and his
presidential ambitions are reportedly far from being approved by Yeltsin's
inner circle.

Also attending the congress was Duma Speaker Gennady Seleznyov, who talked
about the necessity of amending the 1993 constitution in order to give more
power to the parliament. Seleznyov's Communist Party controls the Duma and
is very sensitive to any attempts to weaken the body.

The chairman of the Constitutional Court, Marat Baglai, told the congress
he does not subscribe to Seleznyov's statements. He said political
stability in Russia in the absence of a developed party system can only be
ensured by a strong presidency.

United Nations' Secretary-General Kofi Annan also attended the forum. He
said Russia remains a vital component in solving world problems on the
brink of the millennium.

Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov, who met with Annan yesterday, said Russia is
developing a policy to lessen confrontation in its relations with the West.
He said Russia favors strengthening the U.N. and the Security Council.

Igor Shabdurasulov, the general director of Russian Public Television
(ORT), addressed the sensitive issue of media control in the elections. ORT
is Russia's biggest broadcaster and covers almost 100 percent of the
country's territory. The state has a controlling 51 percent share in ORT,
but the station is widely seen as being close to Kremlin insider Boris
Berezovsky.

Shabdurasulov told the gathering that the elections will be the touchstone
by which the civic maturity of Russia's media will be judged.

He vowed that ORT's election coverage will be independent and will not be
biased in favor of groups with the most money to spend. He said a large
organization recently tried to buy media coverage on his television station
and that this will not be tolerated:

"I will not name names, but I can say that we received a letter [recently]
from a very big organization. The text was straightforward. It said it was
organizing an important event for such and such a date and asked that [we]
cover the event as part of our Vremya [main news] broadcast. The letter
said that payment would be guaranteed. We will not do this kind of thing --
at least as long as I am ORT director. This command-style in relations with
the media ahead of elections is unacceptable for us, and this is a position
of principle."

Shabdurasulov added, however, that ORT has always been and remains the
president's television channel and has never made a secret of this fact.

It's not clear what he meant by this statement, but as an explanation,
Shabdurasulov said this is not a matter of personal contact between him and
Yeltsin but a system of relations between the channel and the head of state.

Shabdurasulov also said a special system to monitor all hidden and direct
political advertisement had been set up at ORT ahead of the elections.

Despite the abundance of political statements, most delegates to the
Congress seemed happy to see so many politicians in person. Some delegates
told RFE/RL that more professional issues can be focused on in Sochi, where
fewer politicians are expected to attend.