June 15, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3341 • 3342

1. Itar-Tass: Primakov: New Cabinet Received 'Quite a Good Legacy'
2. NTV: Yeltsin Jokes About Clinton's Personal Praise.
3. New York Times: Anatol Lieven, What Role for Russia?
4. Ustina Markus: Response to Manson, Devane re "Big Dump."
5. USIA: RUSSIANS' ARRIVAL IN KOSOVO: 'MASTERLY COUP,' OR 'AMBIGUOUS ACT'?
6. Fred Weir: McDonalds.
7. Los Angeles Times: Marisa Robertson-Textor, Russia's Few Blacks Find an
Uneasy Home in Their White Motherland.

8. RFE/RL: Paul Goble, The New Bezprizorniki.
9. STRATFOR's Global Intelligence Update: "It's the Russians, Stupid."]

Primakov: New Cabinet Received 'Quite a Good Legacy'

INTERLAKEN, Switserland, June 11 (Itar-Tass) -
Answering questions of reporters in Interlaken, Switzerland, Russian ex-
premier Yevgeny Primakov said on Thursday he believes the new cabinet
received "quite a good legacy" form the previous cabinet and "will be
making progress". Primakov is taking part in the work of the
international forum on world economics and politics underway in Interlaken.

Foreign reporters were interested in Primakov's opinion about the reasons
for the sacking of his cabinet, which is associated in the West with
stabilisation in the Russian economy. Regarding the results of the
cabinet's work, Primakov said: "It was not just that stabilisation was
planned. Growth of 1.5 percent was achieved as compared with precrisis
April 1998. Despite forecasts of hyperinflation, the monthly inflation
rate dropped from 30 percent to 3 percent. There were forecasts that one
dollar will be exchanged for 50 roubles, but the dollar rate rose only
from 19 to 23 roubles in eight months".

Primakov made no secret of the fact that many of the things that were planned
have not been achieved. "But I believe the cabinet that replaced us
received quite a good legacy and will be making progress. In any case,
the legacy we received was much worse than the legacy we passed on".

"As to the reasons why the cabinet was dismissed, this question is not
for me to answer," Primakov said. "I believe there were explanations in
the president's remarks when he said that our cabinet coped quite well
with tactical tasks but that a breakthrough was needed now. He,
apparently, decided that the new cabinet can do this better than the old
one".

Yeltsin Jokes About Clinton's Personal Praise

NTV
June 11, 1999
[translation for personal use only]

[Presenter Grigoriy Krichevskiy] [Russian]
President [Boris] Yeltsin was active in dealing with international
affairs today. He held a meeting on Yugoslavia in the Kremlin and named
politicians who had achieved a breakthrough in the Balkan war. Aleksandr
Shashkov has the details.
[Begin recording][Correspondent Aleksandr Shashkov] Yeltsin intended to
make a statement on Yugoslavia before his meeting with Russian Foreign
Minister Igor Ivanov and his deputy [as received] Sergey Prikhodko. The
statement had already been prepared. However, he changed his mind and
decided to answer journalists' questions. [Omitted: Yeltsin praising
Ivanov, Prikhodko, himself and Russian presidential envoy Viktor
Chernomyrdin; Yeltsin explaining the reason behind his long pauses - he
gives journalists time to write things down]
[Correspondent] However, when Yeltsin spoke about his night conversation
with
the US President [Bill Clinton], he made no pauses.
[Yeltsin] Yesterday [10th June] Clinton phoned me, late last night. Just
fancy! [a pause] It turns out that I am a good chap, I am a diplomat, and
lots of other nice things. A veritable Jack of all trades.
[Unidentified correspondent] Maybe this is true?
[Yeltsin] Eh?
[Correspondent] Maybe it's true?
[Yeltsin] That is not for me to judge.
[Correspondent] The journalists had enough time to put down the final
statement.
[Yeltsin] When the new one [president] comes, he will let you judge.
[Omitted: Ivanov speaking to camera after the meeting about Yeltsin and
Chernomyrdin's role] [end recording] [Video shows an unusually robust and
lively Yeltsin making jokes to journalists; making his colleagues laugh
heartily]

New York Times
June 14, 1999
[for personal use only]
What Role for Russia?
By ANATOL LIEVEN
Anatol Lieven of the International Institute of Strategic Studies is the
author, most recently, of ``Ukraine and Russia: A Fraternal Rivalry.''

Wnston Churchill liked to tell the story of the man who tried to give the
powder to the bear, and all the elaborate preparations he made to do so --
"but the bear blew first." Decayed and decrepit though it is, the Russian
bear blew faster than NATO when it came to sending peacekeepers into
Kosovo. It taught us a lesson about speed and surprise -- and if it is
true that NATO's advance into Kosovo was delayed to prepare for photo
opportunities, then it was a lesson we badly needed.

The Russian position on the ground is of course extremely weak. Unless
Bulgaria gives permission for Russian overflights, it will be virtually
impossible to reinforce the Russian forces in Kosovo, though they will
doubtless be supplied by the Serbs. It is therefore in NATO's power to
blockade the Russians and force them out.

But this would be a mistake. Even if NATO is forced to agree to a
separate Russian zone, leading to de facto partition of Kosovo, it will
not be a severe blow to NATO policy. It might even help long-term
reconciliation in the Balkans -- which cannot be achieved without the Serbs.

It is still unclear how large the Russian presence will be. It is
entirely possible that the Yeltsin Government will back down in the face
of a mixture of bribes and pressure from the West and abandon its hopes
for a separate zone in the Serb-inhabited areas of northern Kosovo.

If, however, the Russians do establish such a sector, with or without
NATO agreement, then NATO governments will have to decide how to live with
this. Quite frankly, I have always assumed that, whatever Western leaders
are saying, a NATO occupation of the whole of Kosovo would sooner or
later lead to the formal independence of the whole of Kosovo and the
flight of its Serbian minority. With about 90 percent of Kosovo's
population Albanian, and the vast majority of these people in favor of
independence, democracy alone would dictate this.

Apart from anything else, NATO will sooner or later have to start
devolving power to local elected representatives. It is simply implausible
after everything that they have suffered that such Albanian leaders --
whether K.L.A. or other -- will agree to live permanently as part of a
Serb-dominated federation.

The alternative to NATO's acceptance of independence would therefore be an
indefinite NATO occupation in order to preserve an increasingly empty
pretense of Yugoslav sovereignty and in order to prevent elected Albanian
representatives from exercising real power.

Of course, any NATO withdrawal and acquiescence in Kosovo independence
would be accompanied by assurances of protection and rights for the
Kosovo Serbs -- which in the view of the Serbs would in the end be worth
very little. That is why the Serbs of Pristina have fled by the
thousands ahead of the NATO advance.

A separate Russian presence would, however, greatly complicate this
otherwise rather smooth process. Russia will insist that NATO genuinely
disarm the Kosovo Liberation Army, and the K.L.A. has no desire to
disarm, whatever it says. It will insist that Kosovo remain legally part
of Yugoslavia and will be able to call on support from both the United
Nations Security Council and NATO's own repeated official statements.

From NATO's point of view, there are only two benefits from a Russian
presence. It will strengthen the otherwise thin pretense that this is truly
a U.N.-mandated operation; and especially if deployed along the Serbian
border, it may discourage terrorist and partisan attacks (whether
freelance or Belgrade-sponsored) on NATO troops. Such attacks could
otherwise be a real possibility, especially in circumstances of deep
poverty and political upheaval in Serbia.

On the other hand, Russian soldiers could themselves become targets of
attack by the K.L.A., and might even participate themselves in attacks on
Albanian civilians. It is hardly surprising that NATO governments and
commanders view a separate Russian presence with such profound misgiving.

Sooner or later, if Yugoslav sovereignty over Kosovo proves untenable,
Russia is likely to back a move from Belgrade for partition, leaving the
Serb-inhabited areas and as many of the Serb historic sites as possible
in Serbia and giving the bulk of Kosovo independence.

Western leaders have vehemently rejected this possibility, but partly at
least because it has been seen as giving at least a partial victory to the
evil Slobodan Milosevic. If, however, Mr. Milosevic can be removed from
power -- and pray that he can -- then a compromise along these lines with
a future, more civilized Serbian government might appear a great deal more
acceptable. It would also mark a historic compromise with the Serbian
nation, and indeed with Russia.

Such compromises, of course, will be unnecessary if NATO can simply
control the situation in Kosovo indefinitely and dictate its own terms to
all parties. But the alliance has received one lesson in recent days that
it is a good deal less in control than it had thought, and it will
probably receive many more such lessons in the weeks and months ahead.