June 6, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3327 3328

1. New York Times editorial: The Kremlin Looks West.
2. Ray Thomas: Russia and Yugoslavia.
3. Reuters: EU adopts Russia strategy as first common policy.
4. Michael Kagalenko: Re: Internet monitoring.
5. The Electronic Telegraph (UK): Alice Lagnado, Exodus as thousands flee
from Russian anti-Semites.

6. The Independent (UK): Phil Reeves, War in The Balkans - How Russia moved
from the sidelines to centre stage.

7. AP: Yeltsin Honors Pushkin's Birthday.
8. Stratfor commentary Where Are the Russians?
9. Itar-Tass: US Philanthropist to Arrive in Moscow for Charity Work.
(Soros).

10. Itar-Tass: Klebanov Lauds Arms Sellers for Upholding Defence Potential.
11. New York Times: Michael Wines, Among Educated Russians, Relief Is Mixed
With Suspicion of U.S.

12. Vremya MN: interview with Media-Most general director Igor Malashenko
under the headline "The Kremlin Seized by Siege Mentality."

13. Jamestown Foundation Monitor: NEWSPAPER CLAIMS TO HAVE GOTTEN HOLD OF
PLAN TO KEEP YELTSIN IN POWER and CHUBAIS AND SOLZHENITSYN WEIGH IN ON STEPASHIN CABINET.

14. Moscow conference on Stability and Peaceful Development in the North
Caucasus.

15. The Economist: Letter from Robert Devane, Yeltsin’s legacy.
16. Itar-Tass: Ivanov Says World Faces Same Problems as Two Centuries Ago.]

New York Times
June 6, 1999
{for personal use only]
Editorial
The Kremlin Looks West

When the war in Yugoslavia started nearly 11 weeks ago, it threatened to
rupture relations between Russia and the West. Instead, it brought Moscow and
Washington closer together as they collaborated on a diplomatic settlement.
Bill Clinton and Boris Yeltsin should find ways to build on the partnership.
The Kremlin's willingness to part company with Slobodan Milosevic and throw
its influence behind the West's peace terms in Kosovo is one of the more
hopeful international developments since the end of the cold war.

The war did not come without a price in overall relations with Russia. The
NATO bombing angered many Russians, who identified with their Slavic cousins.
Anti-American sentiment sharply increased across Russia, as did fear that
NATO, long a defensive alliance, had become a threat to Russia itself and a
potential factor in Russia's own ethnic conflicts in places like Chechnya.
The political fallout may be felt for years, as Communists and nationalists
seek to exploit the resentment in parliamentary and presidential elections.
They greeted the peace agreement with scorn, and even some of Mr. Yeltsin's
aides distanced themselves from it.

But Mr. Yeltsin was not moved by such concerns. There were doubtless many
reasons, not the least of which was Moscow's desperate need for Western
financial assistance. The White House will likely look more kindly on
Moscow's request for additional loans from the International Monetary Fund
now that Mr. Yeltsin has leaned on Mr. Milosevic.

But Mr. Yeltsin's action bespeaks a larger vision of Russia's future as a
democratic society. Mr. Milosevic may be a fellow Slav, but he is also a
political fossil, just the kind Mr. Yeltsin has dueled with in Russia since
the last days of the Soviet Union. Mr. Yeltsin recognized that continued
alliance with Mr. Milosevic's dictatorship was a political and economic dead
end for Russia. As logical as that decision might seem in the West, it was a
bold act of leadership in Moscow.

Mr. Yeltsin has often been a maddeningly erratic leader, but throughout his
years as President he has fought valiantly against a resurgence of Communism
in Russia and a revival of cold-war hostilities between East and West. Now,
with a year remaining in his final term, he has once again edged Russia
closer to Europe and the United States, and has put in place a new Government
in Moscow that seems prepared to consolidate that shift.

Formation of the Government has not been smooth -- it never is in Moscow --
but Prime Minister Sergei Stepashin has put economic and foreign policy
largely in the hands of pragmatic men, many of whom favor further reform. The
dismissal of Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov last month looks increasingly
like a wise decision that allowed Mr. Yeltsin to pursue his Balkan diplomacy
freely and opens the way for renewed economic change.

All of which affords the White House a chance to bring Russia into closer
partnership with the West. President Clinton wisely saw the possibilities of
enlisting Russia's help in Kosovo, and Strobe Talbott, the Deputy Secretary
of State, skillfully helped turn the opportunity into a joint peace plan.

The cooperation can be advanced in the weeks ahead. Russian forces are likely
to serve as peacekeepers in Kosovo, along with NATO troops. Further Russian
assistance may be needed in dealing with Mr. Milosevic as the war ends. But
Mr. Clinton should be looking beyond the Balkans for other ways to work with
Russia and to help Mr. Yeltsin.

The first chance will come later this month in Cologne, Germany, when Mr.
Yeltsin joins Mr. Clinton and the leaders of Britain, France, Germany, Italy,
Canada and Japan at the annual economic summit meeting of the Group of Seven
industrialized democracies. Though Russia's feeble economy makes it an odd
addition to this group, it belongs there because of its political weight. By
making Russia a full-fledged member, and working to diminish its economic
distress, Mr. Clinton and the other leaders can provide tangible benefits for
Mr. Yeltsin and overcome Russian doubts about the West. Mr. Clinton and Mr.
Yeltsin, two men headed into the final months of their presidencies, can
leave an enduring gift to their countrymen if they capitalize on the
collaboration that began in Kosovo.