June 5, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3325 3326

1. Itar-Tass: Russian Revival Is Quite Realistic-Duma Speaker.
2. Moscow Times: Leonid Bershidsky, MEDIA WATCH: Good-bye, It Was Great Fun.
3. In praise of Ermarth. {DJ: Who sent this?)
4. Mike McFaul: Russia and Yugoslavia. (DJ: Let me take this occasion to
note that I encourage more discussion of controversial issues. And the more
civil and substantive the discussion the better. I want to encourage people
to contribute their views without fear of being attacked.)

5. Los Angeles Times: Robert Hunter, Like It or Not, Russia's the White
Knight
This Time.

6. Mike Mckeever: RE: Stiglitz/3317, Principal/agent problem in
Corporations.

7. Philip Reeves: What really chills Mr Reeves.
8. Carnegie Moscow Center releases a book on Kosovo.
9. Reuters: Russia reformer Nemtsov eyes Communist poll vote.
10. Moscow Times: Berezovsky Boasts of Kremlin Insider Role.
11. Itar-Tass: Russian Govt to Facilitate Drafting Union Treaty with Minsk.
12. Itar-Tass: 1999 Elections to Be Transparent, Honest-Official.
13. The Russia Journal: Tara Warner. A Good Reason to Learn Russian.
(re Pushkin).

14. Igor Zevelev: RE: Russian Identity (JRL # 3321).
15. UPI: Zhirinovsky: 'I Am No Clinton']

Russian Revival Is Quite Realistic-Duma Speaker.

YEKATERINBURG, June 4 (Itar-Tass) - The revival of Russia is quite a
realistic task bearing in mind the preserved industrial and labor potential,
Duma Speaker Gennady Seleznyov told correspondents on Friday after visiting
several plants of the Urals in his two-day trip to the Sverdlovsk region.

The Speaker came to Yekaterinburg on Thursday afternoon and visited a new
workshop of the Uralelektromed plant. On Friday he met the heads of
legislatures of 36 Russian constituencies and spent several hours at the
Urals electro-chemical plant in Novouralsk, a town of the restricted access.

On Saturday morning the Speaker will go to Serov by helicopter and visit the
local metallurgical plant. Serov is the town where Seleznyov was born and
where his parents spent several years.

"I am an optimist. I am glad I find here proofs to my assurance of the
soonest revival of Russia," Seleznyov said at a news conference in
Yekaterinburg on Friday.

Moscow Times
June 5, 1999
MEDIA WATCH: Good-bye, It Was Great Fun
By Leonid Bershidsky (bear@imedia.ru)
Staff Writer

It is not easy to say goodbye to this column. I have written 92 of them
since June 1997, and I wanted to get drunk after writing the 100th. My
position, however, has become untenable. I am now the editor of a new
Russian business daily, which will be in direct competition with many of
the papers I try to analyze in this space. My paper, Vedomosti, is going
into dry runs starting Aug. 1.

As I was writing about Kommersant, Segodnya, Expert and other Russian
publications, I was at the same time trying to hire away some of their best
journalists. Naturally, I found out things about these newspapers that I
could not publish in Media Watch, though my itch to do that got quite bad
at times.

I have been totally unethical in the last few months, anyway. I criticized
my competitors, I wrote about our project, I pushed the envelope, and my
editors at The Moscow Times have been overindulgent. This has got to stop.

It has been a great ride. I got to where I identified myself with the
picture in the middle of this column - yes, I am the guy with the fat nose
and the watches in his eyes.

I treated this column as a hobby and never aspired to the role of a true
media expert, as I told the many journalists and diplomats who wanted to
discuss Media Watch subject matter with me. The folks at the Glasnost
Defense Foundation, Moscow State University's Center for Media Law, the
National Press Institute, the magazine Sreda and some polling agencies are
the true experts. As for me, I tried to provoke rather than provide
in-depth analysis.

Naturally, most of the mail The Moscow Times got about my columns was
angry. At various times, Media Watch irritated famed commentator Nikolai
Svanidze at Russian television, Itar-Tass star correspondent Tamara
Zamyatina and Expert weekly editor Maxim Fadeyev. I am grateful to all of
them for writing back. On some points, I stand corrected. On others, I
still don't know why people bothered. There was, for instance, the BBC
bureau chief who wanted The Moscow Times to correct me by saying the BBC
does not pay for interviews. The Beeb's radio service still pays me from
time to time.

I was not without guile in some of my predictions in this column. I have
been saying from the start that someday big foreign publishers would come
to Russia and finally build a commercially solvent, editorially independent
Fourth Estate here. I knew about Pearson and Dow Jones' plans to set up our
newspaper. But the prediction also bears itself out in the weekly Versia's
partnership with the New York Daily News and I think more similar projects
are coming.

Russia is a country with a lot of political money and little understanding
of press freedom by the people who control the money. This will not always
be so. I am convinced that even now, Russia is one of the freest countries
in the world where the written and spoken word is concerned. What it lacks
is the infrastructure needed to exercise that freedom. That, compared with
our very recent legacy, is a minor problem.

We are a society of pessimists. The worst always does seem to happen. Few
Russian journalists can disagree with that after seeing their salaries
plummet, their publishers go broke, their independence sacrificed to
various fly-by-night political interests. This column has often been harsh
and sometimes cynical. I would like my 93rd Media Watch to end on an
optimistic note, though.

As I have found out while hiring people for the new paper, there is a
strong hunger among journalists for the chance to report objectively for
newspapers that are not controlled by political and business interests. It
cannot remain impossible for long. Regardless of whether President Boris
Yeltsin will stay alive, who will win the upcoming elections or what
happens in Kosovo, Russia can no longer be gagged as it was 12 years ago.
The genie is out of the bottle.

Many thanks to everyone who read this column. I hope you had half as much
fun reading it as I had writing it. Please watch this space.