May 29, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3311 3312

1. Itar-Tass: Right Cause Names Its Candidates for Future Duma.
2. Reuters: Yeltsin says won't start nuclear war over Kosovo.
3. Reuters: Russia PM faces crisis just days into office.
4. Evelyn Wheeler: visas.
5. Andrei Liakhov: RE: 3310-Mikheyev/MENATEP.
6. Gordon Hahn: For Hough, Mikheev on Khodorkovskii.
7. Yale Richmond: Le plus ca change.... (Re barter).
8. Joseph Dresen: Gene Sosin.
9. Itar-Tass: Russian Minister Opposes Militarization of Science.
10. Interfax: polls on Stepashin and Belarus union.
11. AP: Russian Court Rejects Church Ban.
12. Atlantic Council of the United States--Meeting with Alexander A.
Pikayev.

13. Moscow Times editorial: Second City Deserves Bad Reputation.
14. NTV: Russian Experts Concerned At Lack of Spy Satellites.
15. Moskovskiy Komsomolets: Mikhail Rostovskiy, Toy the Size of Russia;
Frequent Change of Government Has Corroded White House Foundations.]

Right Cause Names Its Candidates for Future Duma.

MOSCOW, Nay 29 (Itar-Tass) - The Right Cause coalition at its first congress
in Moscow on Saturday named its three candidates for the Duma lower house of
parliament to be elected in December.

The Right Cause will field the leaders of Young Russia, Forward, Russia and
Common Cause - Boris Nemtsov, Boris Fyodorov and Irina Khakamada.

The congress has set up its headquarters to run the pre-election campaign and
negotiate with possible new members of the coalition.

The chief of the Unified Energy Systems of Russia electricity utility,
Anatoly Chubais, has been elected to chair the election headquarters, whose
members are Yegor Gaidar, the leader of Russia's Democratic Choice; Alexander
Yakovlev, a perestroika veteran and leader of the Russian Social Democracy
Party; Nemtosv, Fyodorov and Khakamada.

Sorces told Itar-Tass that struggles over the three nominees had been going
on until the very opening of the congress. Nemtsov admitted this.

"We long discussed what the first troika should be. After long scientific and
sociological studies, our experts proposed just this variant," he said.

He said Gaidar would run in the Duma elections on the Moscow list of the
Right Cause.

The coalition has passed a platform that the congress agreed can be amended
and supplemented in the future.

*********

Yeltsin says won't start nuclear war over Kosovo

MOSCOW, May 29 (Reuters) - Russian President Boris Yeltsin, replying on
Saturday to a letter from a worried 10-year-old girl, said he would not start
a nuclear war over Kosovo.

The Kremlin press service distributed a letter it said Yeltsin had received
through the Internet from a girl in the former Yugoslav republic of Slovenia.

``I think one cannot use nuclear missiles, because if even one of them is
launched, millions of ordinary people will be killed,'' Taya Rukavina wrote.

``I know of your warning to Mr Clinton, that you will fire missiles if NATO
does not stop its air strikes. Think of all the innocent people who will be
killed,'' she wrote.

In his reply, Yeltsin said her letter had touched him.

``I know that NATO's warplanes have ruined the peace and calm not only of the
citizens of Yugoslavia, but of many other countries, including your native
Slovenia,'' he wrote.

``As for your question, information that Russia might use nuclear weapons is
not true. Believe me, I will do everything I can to stop the war. Russia will
use only peaceful methods.''

The girl said she wanted peace and thought NATO's air campaign was a mistake,
because ``I think you cannot solve any problems through bombing.''

She said she felt deep sympathy for Serbs undergoing NATO air strikes because
she remembered being scared herself when she was three years old and planes
bombed her town, but ``one shouldn't kill and torture innocent people as Serb
soldiers are doing in Kosovo.''

In Soviet times the Kremlin occasionally published replies to children's
letters as a way of showing the softer side of Moscow's totalitarian
leadership.

A young American girl, Samantha Smith, was invited to the Soviet Union after
writing a letter to then leader Mikhail Gorbachev in the mid-1980s. She
became a Russian national hero and had an elite children's summer camp named
in her honour.

********

Russia PM faces crisis just days into office
By Peter Graff

MOSCOW, May 29 (Reuters) - Russian Prime Minister Sergei Stepashin gathered
his cabinet behind closed doors on Saturday amid a new political crisis
that newspapers said threatened to topple his government just 10 days after
he took office.

The resignation late on Friday of First Deputy Prime Minister Mikhail
Zadornov was described as a possibly fatal blow to the country's fourth
government in 14 months, and a setback to efforts to kick-start the economy.

The head of the government press centre, Alexander Mikhailov, said
ministers discussed economic plans at Saturday's cabinet meeting and did
not talk about the composition of the cabinet. His reassurance was unlikely
to curb speculation that a crisis was being played out behind the scenes.

Since being confirmed in office last week, Stepashin, long seen as totally
loyal to Boris Yeltsin, has fought openly with the president over shaping
his government.

Stepashin had secured Zadornov's post to counterbalance Nikolai Aksyonenko,
another first deputy premier who was imposed on the prime minister by
Yeltsin.

Aksyonenko, a former head of Russia's railways with no financial
experience, has claimed supreme control over the country's economy.
Russia's press said the only explanation for Aksyonenko's sudden rise to
power was the backing of a coterie of powerful tycoons in Yeltsin's inner
circle.

"The cabinet has collapsed," the respected business daily Kommersant wrote.
"Whether or not Stepashin resigns, he is no longer head of the cabinet."

The daily Sevodnya wrote: "The forces behind Aksyonenko are striving for
monopolistic control over the government."

On Saturday the Kremlin confirmed the appointment of Vladimir Starostenko
as communications minister in the new cabinet. Starostenko, 50, is regarded
as an Aksyonenko ally who, like him, previously served in the railways
sector.

Zadornov's resignation followed a week of intrigue, with rumour and
speculation over whether he could also keep his previous post of finance
minister, and a number of hastily arranged meetings between the president
and prime minister.

"The whole affair means Sergei Stepashin has little say in forming the
government and the puppet-masters (in Yeltsin's entourage) continue to pull
the strings guiding the selection of government ministers," liberal
opposition leader Grigory Yavlinsky said.

"I think (Zadornov's) resignation will have a bad effect on the
government's entire economic policy and on its relations with international
financial organisations."

Zadornov, 36, shared this sentiment. "This (my resignation) will, of
course, make talks with international (financial) organisations more
difficult," he told NTV television.

Government spokesman Mikhailov said the press was out of line in reporting
conflict between Stepashin and Aksyonenko.

"My observation is that the relationship between them is businesslike, as
it should be between the head of a government and his first deputy," he said.

He told NTV that Stepashin had a list of at least five possible candidates
to replace Zadornov, including liberal First Deputy Finance Minister Viktor
Khristenko.

Neither Stepashin nor Yeltsin commented directly on Zadornov's resignation.

Stepashin could shrug off the humiliation and get on with forming a
government, or he could resign, running the risk that parliament might
refuse the person Yeltsin named to replace him and force a full-blown
showdown.

From: "Wheeler, Evelyn K." <WheelerE@state.gov>
Subject: visas

Dear David,
The consular section of the US Embassy in Moscow is not closed, and visas
are being issued every day for travel to the U.S.