May 28, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3309 3310

1. Reuters: Russia's finance minister still a mystery man.
2. AFP: Novgorod factory director turns to barter for survival.
3. AFP: Skuratov Barred From Leaving Russia.
4. Novye Izvestia: A Test of the Constitution. THE SPECIAL SERVICES WANT
TO BRING RUSSIAN INTERNET USERS UNDER THEIR CONTROL.

5. Segodnya: Military Machine for Progress. STEPASHIN INTENDS TO BOOST THE
ECONOMY WITH THE HELP OF A RENOVATED DEFENSE INDUSTRY.

6. RFE/RL NEWSLINE: A NEW OLIGARCH EMERGES? (Roman Abramovich) and
CENSUS-TAKERS ASK FOR EXTENSION.

7. Dmitry Mikheyev: On Hough's MENATEP.
8. Russian Regional Report: WHO ARE THE DONOR REGIONS? and DUMA TO
INVESTIGATE GOVERNORS.

9. The Times (UK): Moscow gang held over baby trade with US. Russian women
asked to sign away babies for adoption in America, reports Anna Blundy.

10. The Globe and Mail (Canada): Geoffrey York, The resurrection of a
modern-day 'Rasputin.' Billionaire Boris Berezovsky somehow manages to
escape disgrace and imprisonment.

11. Business Week: Carol Matlack, Russia's Boom in Bogus Bankruptcies.
With the courts' help, phony creditors are draining businesses.

12. Komsomolskaya Pravda: Sergey Chugayev, Yeltsin Furnishes Cabinet.
Every Little Guy Will Have a Bookkeeper.

13. Radiostantsiya Ekho Moskva: Interview With Deputy Premier Aksenenko.
14. AFP: Foreigners invest in Novgorod despite economic crisis.]

Russia's finance minister still a mystery man

MOSCOW, May 28 (Reuters) - The identity of Russia's new finance minister
remained a mystery on Friday.

President Boris Yeltsin has signed a decree that the job has gone to top
debt negotiator Mikhail Kasyanov although Russian media have reported that
First Deputy Prime Minister Mikhail Zadornov wanted to keep the post, which
he occupied since 1997.

A ministry spokeswoman said she had not been told who would head the
ministry in the new government: "Not yet."

The question has been in the air for most of this week, rumours are rife
and the men to decide the issue were not planning to meet on Friday, a
government spokesman said.

Prime Minister Sergei Stepashin's schedule did not include a meeting with
Zadornov and Nikolai Aksyonenko, the other first deputy prime minister with
whom Zadornov is reportedly in a tussle for control over economic policy.

"First of all, working with the first deputies is his job. But secondly, on
the schedule there is no such special meeting," the government spokesman
said.

To emphasise that the state of affairs was flexible and the men could meet,
he confusingly added: "There is no schedule."

Zadornov on Thursday refused to say if he had kept the finance minister's
job, but said he, Aksyonenko and Stepashin would soon sit down and work out
responsibilities, which could include designating a finance minister.

Yeltsin named Kasyanov as the minister on Tuesday, before and after reports
Zadornov would keep the job.

Stepashin, opening a Thursday cabinet meeting, referred to Zadornov and
Kasyanov but did not say who was minister.

Novgorod factory director turns to barter for survival

NOVGOROD, Russia, May 28 (AFP) - Yevgeny Shulman, director of the Splav
factory which specializes in equipping nuclear power stations, has also
become a king of barter to ensure his firm's survival.

Due to a lack of hard cash, today about half of Russia's trade is done by
bartering goods and services.

"In 1998, we sold 90 percent of our production thanks to barter. Only 10
percent was paid by financial transfers. Bartering is our lifeline," said
Shulman, one of the more dynamic industrialists in the Novgorod region
located about 530 kilometers (330 miles) northwest of Moscow.

Nearly 65 percent of the production at this factory, which employs 1,500
people, is destined for the nuclear sector. But Splav's main clients,
Russian and Ukrainian atomic power stations, have not been able to pay in
rubles for four to five years.

Between 40 to 50 percent of trade in Russia is conducted without financial
transactions, with businesses instead trading merchandise or services
between themselves, according to official figures.

Shulman estimated that bartering makes up 60 to 70 percent of the trade in
Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States, a loose grouping of
former Soviet republics minus the Baltics.

"Recently, we delivered some materials to a nuclear power station, which in
exchange supplied electricity to the railways, who in turn transported
wagon loads of metal to an automobile manufacturer, who gave us some cars.

"We sold the cars to pay for the materials supplied to the power station,"
the director explained.

Such a scenario is relatively simple. But these days, to sell his
production to nuclear power stations or petrochemical factories, Shulman
can be forced to negotiate a complex web of deals involving up to 20 firms.

Even Gazprom, the world's biggest natural gas producer and one of Russia's
largest enterprises, does not have the cash to pay for its orders from
Splav. Pipes and valves are traded in exchange for vouchers for thousands
of cubic meters of gas.

Splav has only to contact enterprises which owe Gazprom money, take a
proportion of their production -- glass, bricks, iron bars or vehicles --
in exchange for the Gazprom vouchers, then find a market for those goods.

"I dream of a return to normal with trade based on financial exchanges. But
I am convinced that we will work in this way for a number of years," sighed
Shulman.

The barter baron's efforts have seen Splav recover its level of operations
recorded before the financial crash of August 1998, when a large part of
the Russian economy was brought to its knees.

Pessimistic about the Russian economy, Shulman concedes that bartering only
aggravates the situation. The state is unable to levy taxes on commercial
exchanges conducted by barter, all the more so since the real worth of such
deals is often difficult to evaluate.

When receiving visitors in his office, Shulman offers guests mineral water.
Is it a result of bartering?

"Of course," he replies, smiling. "We deliver some machines to a bottling
plant in the Novgorod region, thanks to which we are supplied with water
all year."

********

Skuratov Barred From Leaving Russia

MOSCOW, May 28, 1999 -- (Agence France Presse) Russia's under-fire
Prosecutor-General Yury Skuratov has been barred from leaving the country,
Interfax reported on Friday.

"I regard this as lawlessness, a crude violation of my human rights and my
basic constitutional right to travel," the news agency quoted Skuratov as
saying.

Russia's chief investigative officer had been invited to a trade conference
in Switzerland when his travel documents were revoked, Interfax said.

President Boris Yeltsin attempted to dismiss Skuratov from office in
February shortly after the prosecutor launched probes into top Russia
business leaders and government officials, including those close to the
Kremlin.

But Russia's upper house of parliament twice dealt a blow to Yeltsin by
refusing to approve Skuratov's dismissal, as is required by law. Skuratov's
current status remains undefined.

Russian police meanwhile have opened their own criminal investigation into
Skuratov that followed a sex and corruption scandal culminating in a
national television airing of the prosecutor apparently cavorting naked
with two prostitutes.

Russia Today press summaries
Novye Izvestia
May 27, 1990
A Test of the Constitution
THE SPECIAL SERVICES WANT TO BRING RUSSIAN INTERNET USERS UNDER THEIR CONTROL
Summary
The Federal Security Service (FSB) is trying to introduce a system of
surveillance for Internet users in Russia, the daily reported. They are
imposing this through Internet providers, threatening to deprive them of
their licenses otherwise.

In the past, surveillance systems were installed in the Russian phone
network. By law, special services can listen in on phone conversations only
with a court order. But the daily noted that no one can guarantee that an
officer who is listening in on phone conversations will not use the
information to further his own interests -- or someone else's.

A similar system was developed for electronic communications -- Internet,
email and fax -- in 1998, which would allow the FSB to read people's email
and to register Internet business transactions and bank payments. Several
regional FSB offices have already sent letters to Internet providers about
implementing the new system on their servers.

Most Internet providers in St. Petersburg agreed to cooperate with the FSB,
fearing that their licenses would be revoked. However, they think that the
FSB system will not be able to cope with the encryption of all the traffic.
"It will be a big pain in the butt for the FSB," one St. Petersburg
Internet businessman said.

Russia Today press summaries
Segodnya
May 27, 1999
Military Machine for Progress
STEPASHIN INTENDS TO BOOST THE ECONOMY WITH THE HELP OF A RENOVATED DEFENSE
INDUSTRY
Summary
The daily wrote about the struggle in the government for control of the
defense industry, linking it to the need to control the flow of finances,
in view of the upcoming parliamentary and presidential elections.

The military industry suits this purpose better than, for example, the fuel
and energy industry or other natural monopolies, because arms exports are
much less transparent and less subject to control by the IMF or other
international financial organizations, the daily wrote.

While meeting with President Boris Yeltsin in Sochi this week, Prime
Minister Sergei Stepashin proposed that a special deputy premier be made
responsible for the defense industry. He also proposed a candidate for the
post - the director of the nuclear submarine plant Pashayev. Yeltsin did
not approve his candidate, but agreed to create the post. He also agreed to
the establishment of a special state commission for the defense industry,
which will supervise six bodies: the Russian Space Agency; the Nuclear
Power Ministry; shipbuilding; control systems; conventional weapons; and
ammunition industries.

According to Stepashin's plan, the new commission will focus not on the
export of ready-made products but of high technology. The agency will also
work on making defense industry enterprises more profitable and promote
work on conversion technologies.

********

RFE/RL NEWSLINE Vol 3, No. 103, Part I, 27 May 1999

A NEW OLIGARCH EMERGES? In an unusual article, the 27 May
"Kommersant-Daily" depicts Russian President Boris Yeltsin as
a weak, isolated, almost marionette-like figure manipulated
by those around him. It adds that since he was "banished" to
Sochi, he has been cut off from all information not provided
by his family. The newspaper goes on to allege that the real
powers pulling Yeltsin's strings and practically determining
cabinet assignments are Sibneft head Roman Abramovich and
business magnate Boris Berezovskii, with Abramovich in the
lead position, not Berezovskii. The article concludes that
"who the real figure is leading the government--Yeltsin or
Abramovich--will become clear today." JAC

CENSUS-TAKERS ASK FOR EXTENSION. The State Statistics
Committee has asked Prime Minister Stepashin to postpone the
national census from the fall of 2001 to September-October
2002, Interfax reported on 26 May. Goskomstat officials
consider the delay necessary because they have not been able
to finalize their cost estimates for conducting the census.
Preliminary estimates suggest that 2.504 billion ($102
million) will be required from the federal budget and 811
million rubles from local budgets. Committee officials would
have to have their costs ensured by the middle of next month
in order to guarantee the census would be carried out in the
fall of 2001, according to the news agency. JAC

********