April 17, 1999
This Date's Issues: 32433244

1. Itar-Tass: NATO Operations Lead to Ecological and Economic Disaster.
2. Cameron Sawyer: 3241-Kirkpatrick/Weldon. (Expats)
3. Thad McArthur: 3241-Applebaum/Russia and Yugoslavia.
4. Nathan Stowell: Response to Anne Applebaum in JRL 3241.
5. The Open Society Institute's conference in Washington: A Pause in the
Boom: What Now for the Caspian?

6. Mark Jones: Fatherland's evil trio. (Luzhkov).
7. Jerry Hough: Russia, US, Yugoslavia.
8. Argumenty i Fakty: Paper Views Yeltsin, Primakov Relations.
9. Radiostantsiya Ekho Moskvy: Official on New Electoral Rules.
(Interview with the chairman of the Central Electoral Commission of the
Russian Federation, Aleksandr Veshnyakov).

10. Transitions: John Nellis, Time to Rethink Privatization in Transition
Economies?

11. Reuters: Russian envoy rejects NATO troops in Kosovo.
12. Reuters: Russian Fleet to Hold Exercise.]

NATO Operations Lead to Ecological and Economic Disaster.

MOSCOW, April 16 (Itar-Tass) - NATO operations in the Yugoslav territory
would lead to an ecological and economic catastrophe in Europe, holds a
prominent Russian politician. Sergei Karaganov stated this at a news
conference in Moscow on Friday in connection with the statement on NATO war
against Yugoslavia, issued by the working group of the Council on foreign and
defence policy. He said bombings of Yugoslavia, the war unleashed against
Yugoslavia, bypassing the UN Security Council, fully meets the definition of
aggression by international law and the existing international practice.

"Oil storages are burning in Yugoslavia, the atmosphere is being polluted,
but greens in Germany and in other European countries are silent for some
reason. Meanwhile environmental pollution and the ecological catastrophe will
be spreading. Moreover, an economic catastrophe is apparent as neighbour
countries (Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Austria, Italy) began to lose hundreds
of millions of dollars a week as transport streams and trade have been
halted. And this stated of things will be affecting the entire region for
long, and, finally, there is considerable death toll, Karaganov said.

The statement of the working group has been signed by prominent Russian
politicians who represent various sections but are united in the opinion that
"the war against Yugoslavia defies the world order that formed after the
Second World War, the system of maintaining peace and security for which the
nations, above all Europeans, sacrificed tens of millions of lives".

Karaganov said the statement is aimed to assist the Russian government and
the Russian society in the struggle against the consequences of NATO
aggression and to prevent Russia's getting involved in the war psychosis
deleterious to it, Karaganov stressed.