April 6, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3227 3228

1. Reuters: Russian horseman fires arrow at U.S. envoy's home.
2. Hamburg's Der Spiegel: Lebed Sees Relations With US Like 'Master and
Dog.'

3. Interfax: Poll: Russian Premier Most Popular Politician.
4. Dale Herspring: Russia and Kosovo.
5. AP: Russian Crisis Pushes US Firms Out.
6. Elizabeth Pond: New book "The Rebirth of Europe."
7. Reuters: Russia investigator accuses central bank. (Yuri Boldyrev).
8. The Wall Street Journal: Christian Caryl, The Other Slavic Conundrum.
(Re Janine Wedel's book).

9. Moscow Times editorial: How Long Until NATO Sees It's Lost?
10. Moscow Times: Kevin O'Flynn, Expats Swap Tips, Tales and Trash/.
11. Itar-Tass: RUSSIAN VOLUNTEERS NOT BEING SENT TO YUGOSLAVIA.
12. Itar-Tass: RUSSIAN INDUSTRIALISTS ISSUE APPEAL TO PRESIDENT.
13. CQ Daily Monitor: Sumana Chatterjee, U.S. COMPANIES WORK TO PROTECT
RELATIONS WITH RUSSIA.

14. Frank Durgin: Re: 3113-Cohen. (Soviet collapse).
15. Sovetskaya Rossiya: Youth Protests at US Embassy Moscow Viewed.]

Russian horseman fires arrow at U.S. envoy's home

MOSCOW, April 5 (Reuters) - A man on horseback dressed as an ancient
Russian
warrior fired a single arrow bearing a written warning against NATO's
attacks on Yugoslavia at
the residence of the U.S. ambassador in Moscow, police said on Monday.

The man, whom police identified as actor and director Andrei Andronnikov,
escaped on his
horse after the incident, a police spokewoman said.

"Those who act against Slavs by the sword will die by the sword," his
message to the ambassador read. It also warned that the war would finish on
the
territory of the United States.

Most Russians oppose the NATO bombing of Yugoslavia, a fellow Slav,
Orthodox Christian nation.

The spokeswoman said officials had not yet pressed charges over the
incident, which happened
last Friday.

Lebed Sees Relations With US Like 'Master and Dog'

Hamburg's Der Spiegel
[translation for personal use only]
Interview with retired Gen. Aleksandr Lebed, governor of Krasnoyarsk,
by Joerg R. Mettke; place and date not given: "Fed, Stroked, Beaten"

[Mettke] Aleksandr Ivanovich, can Russia still stop
the NATO attacks against Yugoslavia?
[Lebed] Yes, if it managed to decide on a unified state doctrine on the
events in the Balkans.
[Mettke] Who should formulate and implement it?
[Lebed] The President, if he has any political will at all. And he would
have to announce this position tomorrow, at the latest the day after
tomorrow, to the government and both chambers of Parliament. As long as
it is not yet too late.
[Mettke] What should such a Balkans doctrine by Moscow be like?
[Lebed] First, NATO's actions must be called an aggression without any ifs
or buts. Second, quite as clearly, Yugoslavia must be declared an area of
Russian interests. And, third, the scope of our military aid to
Yugoslavia must be set down.
[Mettke] Do you mean that Russia could have prevented the bombing of
Yugoslavia in time if it had adopted such a tough position?
[Lebed] I am most deeply convinced of that.
[Mettke] For us this rather sounds as if you wanted to join the Serbs with
the Russian Army in the war.
[Lebed] On the contrary. I want to resist the large-scale war in a
civilized
manner, because, otherwise, it will spread over the entire world -- above
all, through terrorism and, above all, against the Americans.
[Mettke] At the moment Kosovo Albanians are killed by Serbs, an Serbs are
killed by NATO bombs. How do you want to stop this?
[Lebed] Of course, this has become very difficult now. However, Milosevic
would probably still accept a Russian peace contingent.
[Mettke] And this would then fight for far-reaching autonomy for the
Albanians?
[Lebed] Why not? At least such autonomy as this territory had under Tito.
[Mettke] Who else, apart from the Russians, should participate in this
peacekeeping force?
[Lebed] Everyone who has not compromised himself as an aggressor so far.
And
all those who show a minimum of understanding for the country and the
people there.
[Mettke] Do you understand the Serbs?
[Lebed] Ask the Albanians, who are now fleeing Kosovo in numbers of tens of
thousands, whether their relationship with the Americans has not changed,
and with those semi-crazy people among their compatriots who told them
that the NATO bomb attacks would give them independence.
[Mettke] But the refugees are primarily trying to save themselves from the
brutal ethnic cleansing by the Serbian police forces.
[Lebed] The victims of these confrontations are to be deplored. However, I
would not call this ethnic cleansing.
[Mettke] Do you deny that the Albanians in Kosovo have the right to their
own
state?
[Lebed] There are dozens such demands in the world. But who would recognize
these states?
[Mettke] Bosnia has meanwhile been recognized, just like Croatia -- even by
Moscow.
[Lebed] What kind of states are those that are based solely on US bayonets?
And our recognition was just the recognition of our own weakness. . . .
[Mettke] . . . forced by the sole remaining superpower, the United States?
[Lebed] Quite so. Our relationship with the United States has long ceased
being a partnership. It is the relationship between master and dog: the
dog is fed, sometimes stroked, sometimes beaten. However, it can never be
an ally, an interlocutor.
[Mettke] But it can bite the hand that feeds it. The first Russian
volunteers
are already on their way to Yugoslavia, even though President Yeltsin has
just stressed that Russia would not get engaged in any military adventures.
[Lebed] Who will ask him for permission? Bulgarian sympathizers are already
fighting on the Serbian side. Ours will also find their way there.
[Mettke] And the same goes for Russian shipments of weapons?
[Lebed] Quite certainly and en masse.

Poll: Russian Premier Most Popular Politician

MOSCOW, April 2 (Interfax) -- Russian Prime
Minister Yevgeniy Primakov is a strong leader in ratings of the
popularity of Russian politicians, whom 28% of Russians trust as compared
with 24% in November of last year. This is indicated by the results of a
poll conducted among 2,385 Russians on March 22 by the All- Russia Center
for Public Opinion Study, made available to Interfax on Friday [2 April].
Respondents were asked to name the five or six most trustworthy Russian
politicians. Following Primakov are Gennadiy Zyuganov and Grigoriy
Yavlinskiy with 18% apiece. The communist leader's rating dropped from
20% in November, while that of the Yabloko leader grew by 1%. Moscow's
Mayor Yuriy Luzhkov is next at 17% (16% in November), trailed by
Krasnoyarsk region governor Aleksandr Lebed with 11% (17%), ex-prime
minister Sergey Kiriyenko with 6% (3%), leader of the Liberal Democratic
Party (LDPR) Vladimir Zhirinovskiy with 6% (unchanged), State Duma
speaker Gennadiy Seleznev with 5% (6%), former Deputy Prime Minister
Boris Nemtsov with 4% (unchanged), governor of the Kemerovo region Aman
Tuleyev with 3% (2%), leader of the Popular Rule party Nikolay Ryzhkov
with 3% (2%), leader of Russia is Our Home (NDR) Viktor Chernomyrdin 3%
(unchanged), Federation Council speaker Yegor Stroyev with 2% (1%), and
Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka (who was not included in the
poll last year) with 2%. Twenty-six per cent (as opposed to 32% in
November) did not name any politician, and 20% (14%) were undecided. The
margin of error is 2%.

*****