April 1, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3119 3120  3121

Johnson's Russia List
"The bible of serious Russia watchers"
1 April

1. Itar-Tass: RUSSIA'S INDUSTRIAL OUTPUT UP 8 PERCENT IN MARCH.
2. Jamestown Foundation Monitor: KREMLIN SAID TO TARGET COMMUNIST PARTY,
POSSIBLY PRIMAKOV.

3. Fred Weir on Russia and Yugoslavia.
4. Journal of Commerce: John Helmer, MISLEADING RUSSIA -- WHAT PRIMAKOV'S
DEAL WITH THE I.M.F. BOILS DOWN TO.

5. Bloomberg: Carnegie Moscow's Trenin on Russia's View of Yugoslav Bombing.
6. Jerry Hough: Primakov, Russia, Kosovo, US...
7. Moscow Times: Oksana Yablokova, Expatriates Wonder If Moscow Is Safe.
8. Victor Kalashnikov: Primakov and Nato.
9. Bloomberg: Russian, U.S. Commercial Ventures Continue Amid Rift.
10. Reuters: Russian reform won't be easy, will take time-Rubin.
11. Moskovskiy Komsomolets: Mikhail Rostovskiy, Bill the Ripper. Will
Russian
Government Withstand Clinton's Bomb Strikes? (Long Balkan War Seen
Undermining
Russian 'State System').

12. NTV: Lebed Comments on Yeltsin, Yugoslavia.]

RUSSIA'S INDUSTRIAL OUTPUT UP 8 PERCENT IN MARCH.

MOSCOW, March 31 (Itar-Tass) - Industrial output in Russia in March
grew by 8 percent from February, First Vice-Prime Minister Yuri
Maslyukov said.

The Prime-Tass news agency quoted Maslyukov as saying at a press
conference on Wednesday that the crisis in industry and agriculture
would end this year.

He explained his optimism by the fact that the amount of contracts in
the processing industry grew by 3.5 times in February compared to
January.

Maslyukov said that 2 percent growth of the gross domestic product in
1999 is quite possible. However, he stressed that a 2- 25 percent
increase in GDP is a "catastrophe" for Russia.

"By the year 2010 GDP has to grow by 4-6 percent a year for normal
development. Otherwise, Russia will never be able to get off the ground,
" he said.

Jamestown Foundation Monitor
March 31, 1999

KREMLIN SAID TO TARGET COMMUNIST PARTY, POSSIBLY PRIMAKOV. Reports this week
quoted anonymous officials in Yeltsin's administration as strongly hinting
of late that the president has extra-constitutional contingency plans.
Justice Minister Pavel Krasheninnikov is said to have collected evidence of
extremist statements made by leaders of the Communist Party of the Russian
Federation (KPRF), of illegal KPRF cells at enterprises, and so forth. This
evidence will supposedly be used to justify banning the party. Such a ban
would be accompanied by firing the cabinet of Prime Minister Yevgeny
Primakov (or forcing it out of office), and bringing back Viktor
Chernomyrdin to serve as head of the government for a third time (Moskovskie
novosti, March 30-April 5). According to one report, Tatyana Dyachenko,
Yeltsin's daughter and "image-maker," met with Chernomyrdin at the end of
last week (Argumenty i fakty, No.13, March 1999).

The existence of such contingency plans is one possible explanation for
Yeltsin's most recent personnel reshuffles, including the appointment of
Aleksandr Voloshin as head of the presidential administration and of Federal
Security Service Director Vladimir Putin as head of Yeltsin's advisory
Security Council. Indeed, Voloshin, in introducing Putin to the Security
Council staff earlier this week, warned that "extremist forces" were
threatening the Russian state (Russian agencies, March 29). Such plans would
also explain Yeltsin's meeting last week with Yuri Luzhkov, which was
reportedly an attempt by the head of state to patch up relations with the
Moscow mayor. Luzhkov was quoted today as openly criticizing the Primakov
cabinet for lacking a "precise economic policy" and for "not doing anything
real to support industry." Until now, Luzhkov had been much more critical of
Yeltsin and the Kremlin than of Primakov and his cabinet. The account
suggested that Luzhkov is positioning himself to succeed Primakov as prime
minister (Izvestia, March 31).

At the same time, it is possible that the various leaks from the Kremlin
about possible plans to fire the Primakov cabinet and ban the KPRF may
simply be a way to put pressure on the Duma to drop its impeachment
proceedings against Yeltsin. In fact, NATO's actions in Yugoslavia would
appear to have helped Yeltsin politically at home by taking the focus off
the corruption scandals as well as having a "rally-around-the-flag" effect.
Gennady Seleznev, the Duma's speaker and a top KPRF official, said yesterday
(after Yeltsin's state of the nation address) that the Duma might consider
dropping its impeachment drive in light of events in Yugoslavia. Viktor
Ilyukhin, however, head of the Duma's security committee and a KPRF radical,
insisted that this would not happen (Russian agencies, March 30).