March 25, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3109 3110

Johnson's Russia List
"The bible of serious Russia watchers"

Today is my birthday.
1. Reuters: Angry Russia rebuffs NATO over Kosovo bombing.
2. Reuters: Text of Yeltsin statement after start of bombing.
3. Itar-Tass: Lebed Praises PRIMAKOV'S Decision to Interrupt Visit.
4. Reuters: U.S. sanguine about Russian anger.
5. Statement in Washington Post: Russia: A Friend In Need.
6. The Journal of Commerce: John Helmer, PRIMAKOV TRIES SKY-WRITING.
7. Patrick Armstrong: FIRST AND SECOND GENERATIONS.
8. Jerry F. Hough: Primakov's economic policy.
9. Jamestown Foundation Monitor: COMMUNIST DEPUTY SAYS YELTSIN'S DAUGHTER
GOT IMF MONEY.

10. RFE/RL NEWSLINE: LEBED EMERGES TRIUMPHANT IN COAL BATTLE?
11. Moscow Times: Sarah Karush, Kremlin Loses Control of Election Panel.
12. Bill Mandel: Kosovo.
13. Itar-Tass: Otechestvo to Agree with Other Parties on Stabilisation.
14. Reuters: Peter Graff, Russia's campaigning top Communist.
15. Renfrey Clarke: AIDS IN RUSSIA: CONSERVATISM TO KILL MILLIONS?]

Angry Russia rebuffs NATO over Kosovo bombing
By Janet McEvoy

BRUSSELS, March 24 (Reuters) - Russia's ambassador to NATO informed the
alliance on Wednesday that military cooperation was suspended and Moscow's
top military representative was being recalled in protest at NATO air
strikes against Yugoslavia.

Ambassador Sergei Kislyak informed NATO Secretary General Javier Solana of
the decision at a late-night meeting at alliance headquarters, stressing
that he himself would remain in his capacity of ambassador to NATO and
Belgium.

"The chief military representative is being recalled. We suspend our
participation in partnership for peace. We also suspend our work on
individual partnership," Kislyak said.

He spoke briefly to reporters after Solana saw him to the door of NATO's
Brussels headquarters with a handshake.

General Viktor Zavarzin, top military representative on the Russia-NATO
Permanent Joint Committee, did not attend the meeting with Solana. He and
his staff were expected to return to Moscow shortly.

Diplomatic sources said NATO had fully expected a Russian gesture in
reaction to the bombing of Yugoslav military targets.

Moscow backs Western political moves to persuade its fellow Slavs in
Belgrade to accept a peace deal for Kosovo but had strenuously opposed any
use of force by NATO.

One NATO diplomat told Reuters he believed the Russian move might be only
temporary given the importance Moscow attaches to ties with the 19-member
alliance.

Kislyak said Moscow was also suspending negotiations on opening NATO
military missions in Russia, a project already delayed for months
apparently by political differences.

A NATO official declined to comment on Solana's reaction to the withdrawal.
But he stressed that NATO did not expect Russia to lend direct military
assistance to Yugoslavia.

The western alliance's former Cold War foe was accorded a special
partnership deal in 1997 aimed at bringing it closer to the European
security fold. The deal was also designed to allay Russia fears about
NATO's eastward expansion to include former Warsaw Pact allies Poland,
Hungary and the Czech Republic.

Text of Yeltsin statement after start of bombing

MOSCOW, March 24 (Reuters) - Following is a Reuters translation of the text
of a statement issued by Russian President Boris Yeltsin after NATO bombing
of Yugoslavia began on Wednesday:

In Russia there is deep shock at the military actions of NATO against
sovereign Yugoslavia, which is nothing other than naked aggression.

Only the Security Council of the United Nations has the right to take
decisions regarding measures, including military measures, needed for the
support or establishment of international peace and security.

Such decisions regarding Yugoslavia have not been taken by the Security
Council. This violates not only the UN charter, but also the Founding Act
of mutual relations, cooperation and security between Russia and NATO.

A dangerous precedent has been set creating a policy of diktat through
force, placing in jeopardy the entire contemporary framework of
international law.

In fact, we speak of an attempt by NATO to enter the 21st century in the
uniform of a world policeman. Russia will never agree to this.

The UN Security Council should consider this increasingly troubled
situation and call for an immediate halt to the military activity of NATO.

For its part, the leadership of the Russian Federation is reexamining its
mutual relations with NATO as an organisation that displays a lack of
respect for the fundamental underpinnings of the system of the
international community.

As President and Commander in Chief I have already given the following
orders:

Cut off the visit of Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov to the United States

Request an urgent session of the United Nations Security Council and call
for an immediate halt to NATO military activity

Recall to Moscow the Russian Federation's chief military representative to
NATO

Call a halt to our participation in the Partnership for Peace programme and
the activities of the Russia-NATO partnership programme

Postpone negotiations on the opening of a NATO military mission in Moscow

I have already called on U.S. President Bill Clinton, and I call on other
heads of state of NATO member countries as well, to immediately put an end
to this military adventurism which threatens the lives of peaceful
civilians and to explode the situation in the Balkans.

Solving the situation in Kosovo, like the resolution of other similar
problems, is possible only through negotiations. The faster (negotiations)
are begun, the more possibilities there will be for the international
community to find a political solution.

Russia is ready to further cooperate closely with other members of the
Contact Group in the name of reaching this goal.

Those who have set off on this military adventure bear complete
resposibility before their own peoples and the world community for the
grave consequences to international stability.

In the event the military conflict worsens, Russia retains the right to
take adequate measures, including military ones, to defend itself and the
overall security of Europe.

Lebed Praises PRIMAKOV'S Decision to Interrupt Visit.

KRASNOYARSK, MARCH 24 (Itar-Tass) - Krasnoyarsk Territorial Governor
Alexander Lebed described Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov's decision to
interrupt his visit to the United States due to the deteriorating situation
on the Balkans as a "resolute step". He made this statement to journalists
here on Wednesday.

Lebed said that the U.S. president had already "dealt blows on Sudan and
Iraq with impunity" and apparently wants to mark NATO's 50th anniversary by
a demonstration of strength, which is to prove this organisation's
greatness. However, the governor is sure that the "Serbs will bring down
some enemy planes to the sinful earth and the picture may then change
substantially".

U.S. sanguine about Russian anger
By Jonathan Wright

WASHINGTON, March 24 (Reuters) - The United States said on Wednesday it
expected Russia to continue cooperation with Washington despite
disagreements over NATO attacks on Kosovo.

Russia suspended cooperation with NATO on Wednesday, shortly after the
attacks began, and called a meeting of the U.N. Security Council in New York.

Russian Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov turned back en route to Washington
on Tuesday when he heard that NATO air strikes were imminent and the
Kremlin said on Wednesday that President Boris Yeltsin was ``deeply
shocked.''

The United States was ready for a strong reaction from Russia and U.S.
State Department spokesman James Rubin said Washington thought it could
contain the damage.

U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright was to speak to Russian Foreign
Minister Igor Ivanov on Wednesday, for the second time in less than 24
hours, he added. President Bill Clinton spoke to Yeltsin earlier, the White
House said.

``We believe that President Yeltsin, Prime Minister Primakov and Foreign
Minister Ivanov see the value of keeping the relationship on track and not
letting someone like (Yugoslav President Slobodan) Milosevic derail
everything that's at stake,'' Rubin said.

``There are forces in Russia that oppose better relations between us and
the United States and that they will try to exploit our differences over
the use of force in Kosovo.

``But at the end of the day, we believe that the relationship we have with
Russia is important enough to them and important to us that we can work our
way through these differences,'' he added.

Defence Secretary William Cohen, at a news conference on the air strikes,
said he hoped Primakov would soon set a new date for his visit and that the
tensions would dissipate.

``We understand and they understand that we have overriding interests with
our two countries, and we intend to pursue these with them as quickly as we
can. So we watch it very closely and we stay in communication,'' he added.

Rubin noted that U.S. and Russian officials have kept working through the
crisis on an agreement for the disposal of excess Russian highly enriched
uranium.

U.S. Energy Secretary Bill Richardson and Russian Minister of Atomic Energy
Yevgeny Adamov will sign the agreement in a private ceremony on Wednesday,
the Energy Department said.

``So on that critical issue of arms control and disarmament, we're
continuing to work with the Russians,'' Rubin said.

The State Department spokesman said it would be difficult to manage the
differences with Russia but the United States had to do what it felt was
right.

``We do not have any illusions about how easy that will be but it's
something we're determined to do because we believe that we should not let
Russia's opposition stand in the way of what we think is the right thing to
do,'' he said.

Similar disagreements have arisen in the past over U.S. and British attacks
on Iraq. But the relationship between Russia and the Serbs is stronger and
domestic opposition to the NATO attacks is more vociferous than in the case
of Iraq.

The United States and its allies tried to carry Russia along in their
mediation between Belgrade and the ethnic Albanian separatists in Kosovo.

The strategy worked for several months but U.S. officials have indicated
they were losing patience with Russia's reluctance to back diplomacy with
the threat of force.

Russia and the United States have a long list of bilateral disputes. Russia
opposes U.S. plans to spend more on missile defence research while
Washington is critical of Russian cooperation with Iran's nuclear programme.

The main objective of Primakov's aborted visit was to secure more funding
from the International Monetary Fund (IMF), which is heavily influenced by
the United States.

U.S. Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin on Wednesday said Russian objections
to the NATO bombing would not derail Russia's debt negotiations with the IMF.

Statement appearing in
Washington Post
March 24, 1999

Russia: A Friend In Need

Even though Russian Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov was unable to visit
Washington this week, we, a coalition of scholars, business people and
friends of Russia, welcome him for a constructive dialogue with our
government.
Support for Primakov’s reforms is critical now to avert an economic and
security disaster that threatens to reach our shores.

While American continues to enjoy a run of unprecedented prosperity, these are
desperate times in Russia. Nearly two-thirds of the population live below
the poverty level. If Russia disintegrates, the world faces a contagion of
instability, starvation, and armed struggle stretching from the borders of
NATO countries to China, North Korea and the Sea of Japan.

We believe the U.S. government should re-invent its policy toward Russia.
Stop encouraging the intransigence of the IMF in denying desperately needed
loans. Give a clear signal that we are ready to cooperate with Primakov’s
government in rooting out the oligarchy and the corruption it breeds.

We believe the U.S. Congress should reject the canard of “a weaker Russia is
better for us.” Russia is already dangerously weak.

We appeal to the American people to show magnanimity to the World War II
ally that sacrificed tens of millions of lives to help secure our freedom.

Abraham Brumberg, Former Editor, Problems of Communism
James K. Galbraith, Professor, U. Of Texas at Austin and Chair of Economists
Allied for Arms Reduction (ECAAR)
Reverend Dmitry Grigorieff, Professor Emeritus, Georgetown U., Dean
Emeritus, St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Cathedral of Washington
Dr. Michael Hudson, President, Institute for the Study of Long-Term Economic
Trends (ISLET)
Michael D. Intriligator, Professor of Economics, Political Science and Policy
Studies, UCLA
Richard D. Jacobs, President and CEO of Newstar, Inc., an international
investment and advisory company in Washington and Moscow
C. William Kauffman, Professor of Aerospace Engineering, U. Of Michigan
Rida von Lulsdorff, Operation Helping Hand, Middleburg, VA
Marshall Pomer, President, Macroeconomic Policy Institute
John Simmons, Ph.D., President, Participation Associates, Chicago
Janine R. Wedel, Associate Research Professor, George Washington U.
Dr. Michael Zarechnak, Professor Emeritus, Georgetown U.

The Russian American Goodwill Association (RAGA)
1332 Vermont Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20005
202-319-8070
wgkrasnow@rcn.com and www.raga.org
---
Please join RAGA President W. George Krasnow on Saturday, March 27 at 1:00
PM in the main lobby of the Mayflower Hotel for our first membership drive
and an update on U.S.-Russia relations.

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999
From: helmer@glasnet.ru (John Helmer)

To come in The Journal of Commerce:
PRIMAKOV TRIES SKY-WRITING
John Helmer

On board the Russian government jet, high above the Atlantic Ocean,
Russian Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov made a split-second decision on
Tuesday to cancel his trip to Washington, ordering his pilot to head back
to Moscow.

According to the official versions in Moscow and Washington, Primakov had
telephoned Vice President Al Gore, and asked him for an assurance that the
United States would delay bomb and missile attacks on Serbia, at least while
Primakov was conducting negotiations in Washington with the U.S.
Administration, and with the International Monetary Fund (I.M.F.).

When Gore said he couldn't give that assurance, Primakov said he
wouldn't be coming.

But is that the real meaning of the sign Primakov made in the sky?

In Moscow there is a more convincing interpretation of what
really motivated the cancellation of the Primakov visit. This reflects how
unstable relations currently are between the Prime Minister and Russia's
ailing, fearful, and paranoid president, Boris Yeltsin.

According to this interpretation, Yeltsin is desperate to find
a way to remove Primakov from office. The President, who is suffering
from chronic symptoms of heart failure, thinks Primakov is
encouraging the state prosecutor's office to find evidence of corruption
involving the President's closest aide, Pavel Borodin, manager of the
presidential business administration. That is the agency which runs hundreds
of millions of dollars' worth of properties, perquisites, and patronage.
Borodin, according to disclosures from the Procurator-General Yury Skuratov
and from his allies in parliament, allegedly arranged lucrative construction
deals that helped enrich Yeltsin's family.

Another leak from parliament claims the prosector's office is on to the
trail of more than $230 million diverted from I.M.F.disbursements to Russia
last July, which ended up in the account of an Australian company in which
the President's daughter, Tatiana Dyachenko, has a stake.

After failing to block the investigators' trail by trying to force
Skuratov to resign, Yeltsin last week sacked his chief of staff for
being ineffectual. But the real target for Yeltsin appears to be
Primakov.

The President has already hinted that he needs a big enough justification
to make that move, which could trigger unpredictable resistance to the
Kremlin from both chambers of parliament. A week ago, at their last meeting,
Yeltsin asked Primakov if he needed his help convincing the I.M.F. to
resume loans to Russia. Not yet, Primakov replied, aware that
Yeltsin meant something much less helpful.

Had Primakov gone to Washington, and returned without U.S.backing or an
I.M.F. agreement for a bailout loan, Yeltsin might have been able to cut
him down. By circling in the sky and returning to Moscow, Primakov has
frustrated Yeltsin, and bought himself, and the criminal investigators,
more time.

And what exactly did the Clinton Administration contribute to about-turn?
Was the timing of the attack on Serbia a higher priority
for the White House than dealing with Primakov? Would a delay of 48 hours
in the air strike plan made such a difference it was unthinkable to grant
Primakov his request?

On this point, Russian interpreters of the mood in Washington believe
that Primakov enjoys little goodwill, and even less favor. Had the Prime
Minister agreed to the I.M.F.'s demands for spending and deficit reductions,
leaving no obvious reason for not resuming I.M.F. lending, the Clinton
Administration was loath to send Primakov back to Moscow with a success.
There are Administration officials who would do almost anything,
and consider almost anyone, to get rid of Primakov.

Former Prime Minister Victor Chernomyrdin was in Washington recently, and
he has been saying volubly ever since that if he had remained in power none
of the trouble Russia has encountered since last year's financial crash
would have happened.

That's Chernomyrdin's little piece of sky-writing. Whether Yeltsin
will take any notice, and whether the Clinton Administration wishes he did,
won't matter, so long as Primakov continues to entrench himself as
the most popular prime minister in recent Russian history. That's the ground
on which, following his mid-air decision, Primakov has landed.