March 24, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3107 3108

1. AP: Barry Renfrew, Primakov Postpones Visit to U.S.
2. President Clinton remarks on Russia at AFSCME convention.
3. The Globe and Mail (Canada): Geoffrey York, General Dima.
(Iakoubovski).

4. Toronto Sun: Matthew Fisher, Hungry Duck closing.
5. Russia Today satire: Mary Campbell, Waving the White Flag.
6. Stacy Borisov: A Question for JRL Readers on money transfer.
7. Heinrich Vogel: Re: Reforming Russia Response to Mark Jones/3095.
8. Cato Institute summary of Janine Wedel, "U.S. Assistance for Market
Reforms: Foreign Aid Failures in Russia and the Former Soviet Bloc."

9. Moscow Times: Gary Peach, Canceled Visit Fortuitous for IMF.
10. Reuters: Primakov decision will not change need for IMF cash.
11. The New Republic: Stephen Kotkin, A Tsar is Born.]

Primakov Postpones Visit to U.S
By Barry Renfrew
March 23, 1999
An AP News Analysis

MOSCOW (AP) -- Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov's abrupt cancellation of a
visit to Washington is a new step back for the once-warm relations between
the United States and post-Soviet Russia.

But despite the cancellation -- an angry reaction to NATO's plan to bomb
Yugoslavia -- there is little Russia can do about the West's plans. Russia
lacks the military or economic might to impose its views and it is
desperate for Western financial aid.

Russia has been arguing for months against the use of force by NATO to
solve the Kosovo crisis. A close ally of Yugoslavia, Russia wants to
maintain its traditional influence in the Balkans and show it can stand up
to the West, especially NATO, which it sees as a threat to its own security.

For similar reasons, Moscow bitterly denounced U.S. and British airstrikes
against Iraq late last year, briefly recalling its ambassadors from
Washington and London. It even briefly put some of its forces on alert.

Russia's protests were mainly bluster and Moscow quietly moved to patch up
the quarrel within a few days. The protests this time may be longer and
more heated. The issue is likely to unite President Boris Yeltsin and his
usual opponents, the Communists and nationalists who dominate the Russian
parliament.

Russia's Defense Minister Igor Sergeyev said Tuesday that Russia would step
up its combat readiness if NATO attacked Yugoslavia, the ITAR-Tass news
agency reported. But the Russian military, short of everything from weapons
to food, is close to collapse. After years of decline, Russia's economy is
in tatters, unable to sustain any kind of meaningful military operation.

The air force, once one of the most powerful in the world, now has few
planes and would not pose any major threat to NATO even if Moscow wanted to
intervene. Russian pilots only fly for a few hours each year, far below the
level necessary to maintain the most basic flying skills and many of their
planes are old and dilapidated.

Moscow has no bases near Yugoslavia and no way to project its limited power
in the region. The Russian navy is in even worse shape, with just a handful
of warships capable of taking to the sea.

An additional insult to Russia is that three former Soviet satellites --
Poland, the Czech Republic and Hungary -- are now part of NATO's powerful
military system.

Meanwhile, Russia desperately needs Western aid.

Primakov had been flying to the United States to plead for more Western
loans, his government's last hope of handling the financial crisis that
devastated the Russian economy last August. Russia is seeking at least $4
billion in new loans from the International Monetary Fund, where the United
States has strong influence. Moscow knows it must maintain stable ties with
the United States and other Western nations to have any hope of solving its
enormous economic problems.

While there is little danger of reviving the Cold War rivalry that
dominated the world for more than 45 years, the diplomatic honeymoon that
followed the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991 is crumbling.

Excerpt
President Clinton
TRANSCRIPT: CLINTON REMARKS TO AFSCME CONVENTION MARCH 23 (re Kosovo)

But you have to understand what the big picture here is. There are three
big obstacles to an undivided, democratic, free Europe, that is totally
secure. One is, we've got to build the right kind of partnership with
Russia, and we've got to help them come back economically. They have kept
their democracy alive. They are suffering terribly economically. Some of
it, of course, is like everybody else's problems, some of it's their own
doing, some of it beyond their control. We've got a big stake in that.
They've got 40,000 scientists that were part of their Cold War arsenal.
We'd like them to be doing peaceful, good things, not bartering their
services to other countries to cause trouble. So it's in our immediate
interest, and they could be great partners for us, economically and
otherwise. The second is, the problem of Greece and Turkey....