March 23, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3104 3105  3106

1. Itar-Tass: YAVLINSKY PINS HOPES ON PRIMAKOV TO SOLVE "GIGANTIC CRISIS"
2. Reuters: Yeltsin sends START-2 to Duma for ratification.
3. Itar-Tass: RUSSIA DEPUTY PM CLINGS TO ABM TREATY.
4. Reuters: Russia must follow through on reforms--Summers.
5. Moscow Times: Jean MacKenzie, CONFESSIONS OF A RUSSOPHILE: So Long to
All
That's Russia.

6. Reuters: Before U.S. trip, Russia PM condemns anti-Semitism.
7. Dale Herspring: Surealism.
8. Peter D. Ekman: RE: Reddaway and Glinsky.
9. Bill Mandel Re: 3102-Reddaway and Glinsky/Chance for Democracy.
10. New York Times editorial: Primakov Comes Calling.
11. Moscow Times editorial: Primakov Must Tread Softly in U.S.
12. Financial Times editorial: Russia's debt.
13. New York Post editorial: Primakov the Extortionist.
14. Heritage Foundation: Ariel Cohen, Primakov’s Washington Visit:
Not the Time for More IMF Credits.

15. Itar-Tass: NATIONALITIES MINISTER URGES CHANGES RUSSIA''S ETHNIC
POLICY.

16. Itar-Tass: VOLUME OF US-RUSSIAN TRADE IN 1998 GREW BY 7.7 PER CENT.
17. Izvestiya: The American Dream of Primakov.
18. Komsomolskaya Pravda: Skuratov and His Babes, or What Is Right and
What Is Wrong.
19. Novye Izvestiya: Family with a Strict Regime.]

YAVLINSKY PINS HOPES ON PRIMAKOV TO SOLVE "GIGANTIC CRISIS"

MOSCOW, March 22 (Itar-Tass) - Leader of the "Yabloko" movement Grigory
Yavlinsky compared the current "gigantic crisis in the political elite"
with the situation which preceeded the August 1991 coup against Soviet
President Mikhail Gorbachev and the suppression of the armed mutiny of
the Russian parliament in October 1993.
He said he pins hopes for the resolution of the crisis on Prime
Minister Yevgeny Primakov.
"A very serious political crisis is coming in Russia. The arms of
authority are gradually entering a stand-off and contradictions among
themselves. The pyramid of power is shaken by internal problems. That
is a very dangerous thing. It was characteristic of 1991 and 1993", he
told the TV-6 network.
"The most important person in this situation is the prime minister.
Today much depends on how Primakov acts. It depends on him how deeply
the crisis will develop", Yavlinsky said and explained that Primakov
has "to keep balance" between political forces and "do not allow the
boat to turn on the leftist /communist/ side".
"As soon as he begins making practical steps in this plan, the
situation will begin to improve", according to Yavlinsky.
He believes that the emerging contradictions, in particular, between
the president and the upper house of the parliament over the dismissal
of the prosecutor general, as well as among the so-called "oligarchs",
allow the communists to "feel themselves confidently and just
splendidly".
He believes President Boris Yeltsin, in order to restore popular trust
to authorities, has to immediately fire those who are "accused of
corruption and who discredit the power"."That step is to be immediately
made", Yavlinsky urged.
"Active work by Primakov and the president is necessary to ease
tensions so that we live up to elections. And the elections will be the
final decision on what happens in Russia in the next century",
Yavlinsky said.
He stressed that he was ready "to constructively cooperate" with the
government of Primakov, if the economic policy is changed.
"If Primakov decides to form a new economic policy, we shall be ready
for serious talks and for participation in the government", he said,
but refused to disclose whether he would agree to become a vice-premier
in the cabinet of Primakov.

********

Yeltsin sends START-2 to Duma for ratification

MOSCOW, March 22 (Reuters) - Russian President Boris Yeltsin on Monday
submitted the 1993 START-2 nuclear arms reduction treaty to the State Duma
(lower house of parliament) for ratification, a Kremlin spokeswoman said.

The move came after the opposition-dominated chamber finally agreed last week
to consider ratifying the Russian-U.S. treaty after a long mainly politically
motivated delay.

The Duma's decision gave a boost to Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov, who
generally enjoys the chamber's backing, ahead of his trip to Washington this
week. Ratification could help Russia's cause in getting much-needed new
foreign loans.

Itar-Tass news agency quoted Yeltsin's spokesman, Dmitry Yakushkin, as saying
the president had sent a new version of the ratification law, which includes
some conditions put forward by parliament, to simplify the approval process.

One known condition is an immediate start to work on a START-3 treaty allowing
further reductions in U.S. and Russian arsenals. Deputies say they may also
seek foreign cash before approving START-2 to help finance Russian
disarmament.

Yakushkin said the law provided ``a possibility to control the implementation
of this very treaty as well as other treaties in the field of strategic
offensive armaments and anti-ballistic missile systems.''

Russia is concerned by recent signals from the United States that Washington
wants to alter the 1972 U.S.-Soviet Anti-Ballistic Missile treaty, which
Moscow sees as a cornerstone of world nuclear deterrence.

START-2 slashes the two countries' Cold War nuclear arsenals by up to two
thirds to no more than 3,500 warheads each by 2007.

RUSSIA DEPUTY PM CLINGS TO ABM TREATY.

MOSCOW, March 22 (Itar-Tass) - First Deputy Prime Minister Yuri
Maslyukov believes that there are not enough grounds for Russia to
change its attitude towards the anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) treaty.
Anton Surikov said Maslyukov had dismissed such reasons as
"insufficiently considered".
Maslyukov's statement came in response to media reports that Washington
is going to unroll a national anti-missile system which does not wholly
correspond the Soviet-U.S. treaty signed in 1972.
Some Russian experts have said Moscow should agree to the idea of
cancelling the treaty and team up with Western nations forming
anti-missile defences to protect themselves from threats that could
possibly come from the Middle East and northern Africa.
However, Maslyukov thinks that its is "barely achievable in current
conditions to find the money in the federal budget to finance Russia's
share in the work on setting up a hypothetical joint ABM system",
Surikov said.
"Defence spending has sharply been cut and this situation will last
long," according to him.
"The Russian government has to transfer finances, of which there is a
permanent dearth, to the top priorities such as the Topol-M missile
complex, liaison and guidance systems, warning equipment, informational
support, and crucially important types of conventional weapons," he
said.
In such circumstances, "the shifting of money to the solution of ABM
tasks will inevitably bring about disruption of financial supplies in
other spheres of national defence and cause an irrevocable degradation
of the still militarily capable strategic nuclear force", he said.
Besides, Maslyukov stressed that "the nuclear-missile threat to Russia
from 'third world' nations is being greatly overblown".
To make Russia feel safer, "it is necessary to boost the international
non-proliferation of nuclear arms and toughen control over the export
of technologies which can be used for the production of weapons of mass
destruction", according to him.
The government is "ready for broad international co-operation in the
field of export control and set to fulfil all of its duties," he said,
adding that would be "more preferable than binding the country into a
race of strategic defence armaments".

Russia must follow through on reforms--Summers

WASHINGTON, March 22 (Reuters) - U.S. Deputy Treasury Secretary Lawrence
Summers said on Monday it was crucial that Russia implement a strong program
to reform its ailing economy.

"Clearly what's most important for Russia is that Russia carries through a
strong reform program," he said after delivering a speech to a conference of
the Tax Executives Institute.

"I expect that will be an important part of the economic discussions that U.S.
officials will have with Prime Minister (Yevgeny) Primakov this week," Summers
told reporters.

Asked how Russia was doing, Summers replied, "We'll have to see."

Primakov arrives in Washington this week for talks that will include the vexed
issue of the International Monetary Fund's stalled loan program to Russia.
Primakov is expected to ask the U.S. Treasury to get the program restarted.

Moscow Times
March 23, 1999
CONFESSIONS OF A RUSSOPHILE: So Long to All That's Russia
By Jean MacKenzie (mackenzie@imedia.ru)

Is there life after Russia? With less than 24 hours to go before
departure, I am becoming obsessed with the question. This is not the first
time I have left this place "forever." You'd think I would be used to it by
now, but it's not getting any easier.

I seem condemned to exist in a constant state of anguish: I am either
living here and wishing I were somewhere - anywhere! - else, or I am
sitting in various European or American capital cities pining for the
excitement and craziness of Moscow.

Where else do you get up every morning wondering whether the government
will fall, the currency crash, the president survive, or the banks close?

Where else does the weather jump from 25 below to 10 above in two days?
Where else can you go from joy to despair and back again just trying to do
your grocery shopping?

I recently read a rather good book in which the author describes Russia as
a country where people "live very mundanely on the edge of the abyss." That
pretty much sums it up for me. But once you get used to a yawning chasm
beneath your feet, solid ground comes to seem a little too tame.

Two years ago, emotionally and physically drained by five years as a
Moscow journalist, I left, vowing never to return.

I must have had my fingers crossed, though, because within a year I was
back. Once my hair and skin had recovered from the assault of Moscow's
harsh water and harsher air, once my body had shed the effects of a steady
diet of pelmeni and bliny, when I no longer had nightmares about the metro
and had become used to cars stopping to let pedestrians cross the street, I
began to miss the gaping void.

For the past 14 months I have been happily bathing in political turmoil
and economic crisis, but it is all starting to seem like a repeat of things
past. Falling ruble, rising prices? I was here in 1992, with 2,500 percent
inflation. Political crisis? I can still recall the boom of the tanks
shelling the White House in 1993.

The final straw came when a colleague of mine said, "You'd be crazy to
leave before the Duma and presidential elections. Things are just getting
interesting."

I had heard those exact same words before, when I was thinking of leaving
in 1995. I had an instant flash-forward to 2015, still trying to get away,
still hanging on for the next election campaigns. So I've decided it's time
to head for the next phase of my life, whatever that may be.

But it seems that Russia makes one totally unfit to survive anywhere else.
"It may be a bardak [brothel, chaos] but it sure is veselo [cheerful],"
laugh my Russian friends when I begin to whine about my upcoming exile.
"Don't worry, you'll never leave for very long."

That no longer sounds like a casual prediction. It has more the ring of a
life sentence.

I am, of course, far from the only one in this boat. I have been receiving
tons of e-mail from recent departees, and it is not encouraging. "Once you
get out of New York, America is one long shopping mall," writes Jamie, a
journalist who left last summer and is now plotting her escape from the Big
Apple back to Russia.

"I should have stayed there. Life here is so boring!" wails another
friend, now stuck in Dallas and contemplating a prolonged stretch in Nepal.

"I envy you your exciting life," sighs Natasha, a Russian living in Norway.

Her mother has just arrived from Kharkov to stay and has just two topics
of conversation: how awful everything is in Ukraine and how unhappy she is
to have left it for clean, sane, "provincial" Scandinavia.

So it is with mixed feelings that I pack my bags, say my goodbyes and head
West. I have a book to finish, a personal life to straighten out, and a lot
of soul-searching to do before I make my peace with Russia.

There is a fine line between a "russophile" and a "russoholic," and no one
has yet devised a 12-step program to help us out of our dependency.

Love of this fascinating, infuriating country can easily become an
addiction to its very untidiness, its preference for confusion over
efficiency, its professed disdain for material well-being, its much vaunted
"soulfulness," and its endless suffering, often self-inflicted.

Throw me a rope. I'll make it out of this abyss yet. Better still, watch
this space - I may be back.

********

Before U.S. trip, Russia PM condemns anti-Semitism
March 22, 1990

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov Monday condemned a
rising tide of anti-Semitism
in Russia and told a visiting delegation representing the U.S. Jewish
community that his government
would clamp down on such intolerance.

Speaking to members of the influential Anti-Defamation League (ADL) before
a trip to the
United States, Primakov singled out Communist lawmaker Albert Makashov for
criticism over anti-Jewish remarks he has made at public rallies.

"I say unambiguously that the government takes a very strong position
against any manifestation
of nationalism, including anti-Semitism," an ADL statement quoted Primakov
as saying.

"I believe Makashov has to be condemned fair and square and unambiguously
for his
pronouncements in an open and undisguised way," Primakov was quoted as
saying.

Primakov was due to leave for Washington later Monday for talks with
President Bill
Clinton, Vice President Al Gore and officials from the International
Monetary Fund and World Bank.

Primakov, who held talks earlier Monday with visiting Israeli Prime
Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, said
he supported anti-fascist and anti-extremist legislation now before the
State Duma, Russia's lower house of
parliament.

It was his first public statement against anti-Semitism since he become
prime minister six
months ago.

The Duma, dominated by the Communist Party, failed for a second time last
week
to censure Makashov for saying Jews should be rounded up and jailed for
what he
called their responsibility for Russia's economic woes.

ADL leaders said they warmly welcomed Primakov's statement.

"His had been a voice missing in condemning anti-Semitism in Russia. I
think this
is an important statement on the eve of the prime minister's trip to the
United
States," Abraham Foxman, national director of the ADL, told Reuters.

But Foxman said the ADL remained concerned that there had been no arrests
over
the series of anti-Semitic statements.

Foxman said his delegation would hold talks Tuesday and Wednesday with
more Russian leaders.

"We want to share our methodology with the Interior Ministry on ways of
combating
intolerance. There is no vaccine against this disease but we are ready to
help with
our experience," he said.

The ADL, founded in 1913, fights anti-Semitism worldwide and lobbies for
Jewish causes in
the United States.

Primakov may have avoided open criticism of Makashov until now because he
needs Communist
support for his government to get laws through the Duma.

Primakov told the ADL delegation he wanted Russia's Jews to feel at home in
Russia but said his government would never stand in the way of Jews who
wanted
to leave.

About one million Jews have moved to Israel from the former Soviet Union in
the past decade. Israel's Netanyahu Monday hailed their contribution to the
Jewish state's economic, cultural
and scientific life.