March 20, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3099 3100

1. Reuters: Kremlin sacking raises talk of trouble for Yeltsin.
2. Itar-Tass: Yeltsin Appoints Reportedly BEREZOVSKY'S Man to Head His
Staff.

3. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Primakov Lists Priorities for Gore Talks.
4. President Clinton on Russia at March 19 press conference.
5. Itar-Tass: Maslyukov: $200 Billion Left Russia With Market Reform.
6. Phil Hanson: Russia: Crisis, Reform and the West.
7. Boston Globe: David Filipov, Blast kills 60 at Russian market.
8. Ekho Moskvy Interviews Nemtsov and Chubais.
9. The Electronic Telegraph (UK): Marcus Warren, Doors close on Moscow's
wildest club. (Hungry Duck).

10. Argumenty i Fakty on Poll Results on Presidential Issues.
11. Reuters: Russian Communist chief vows backlash if govt goes.]

Kremlin sacking raises talk of trouble for Yeltsin
By Peter Graff

MOSCOW, March 20 (Reuters) - A surprise Kremlin sacking amid the fallout from
a sex scandal has fuelled talk of more political trouble ahead for Russia's
ailing President Boris Yeltsin.

News late on Friday that Yeltsin had dismissed his chief of staff Nikolai
Bordyuzha brought a storm of overnight criticism from Russian politicians.

``Once in a blue moon a decent person has come from outside the favoured
clique, and they got rid of him straight away,'' Gennady Seleznyov, the
Communist speaker of the State Duma lower house of parliament, told Interfax
news agency.

He described the choice of Bordyuzha's replacement -- relatively unknown
former deputy chief of staff Alexander Voloshin -- as a sign of desperation.

``The fact that they they are now bringing out such totally unknown and
faceless people means they have nobody else left on the substitute bench,'' he
said.

The Kremlin gave little hint about the reason behind Bordyuzha's dismissal,
but it was certain to add to speculation that a sex scandal involving the
country's chief crime-fighter has tightened the screws on the ailing
president.

The scandal emerged after state television showed footage on Wednesday of a
man resembling Prosecutor General Yuri Skuratov in bed with two young women,
raising the question of whether somebody -- perhaps with Kremlin ties -- had
tried to blackmail the prosecutor to block a criminal case.

The sex tapes had appeared just hours after the Federation Council,
parliament's upper chamber which is made up of regional bosses usually loyal
to the Kremlin, humiliated Yeltsin by refusing to accept Skuratov's own six-
week-old resignation.

Skuratov said he had offered to resign only under outside pressure and asked
the senators to let him stay on.

Yeltsin, whose ill health has allowed him to visit his Kremlin office for only
a handful of hours since the New Year holiday, had emerged from hospital
treatment for a stomach ulcer only on Thursday. In a television appearance on
Friday he appeared exhausted.

In announcing Bordyuzha's dismissal on Friday, the Kremlin said only that it
was in connection with a ``transfer to another job.'' The Kremlin has used
similar language in the past about sacked officials who were never offered any
other post.

Communist Party chief Gennady Zyuganov told Interfax the sacking was a sign of
Yeltsin's ``convulsions.''

``The country already knows well the style of Mr Yeltsin, who is not able to
solve any issues but can endlessly shuffle his cadres,'' Zyuganov said.

Nikolai Ryzhkov, leader of the Communist-allied People's Power parliamentary
group, said Yeltsin might still be planning to sack the coalition cabinet of
Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov, a move which the president's opponents have
said would lead to a major political crisis.

The showdown over Skuratov has left Yeltsin, who has seen his stature erode
dramatically over the past year, looking even more isolated than before.

Oleg Morozov, leader of Russia's Regions, a centrist parliamentary group, said
the Kremlin's botched attempt to remove the prosecutor was a sign that
Bordyuzha had proved too ``naive'' to handle Kremlin machinations.

As for the announcement that Voloshin had been named as Bordyuzha's successor,
Morozov expressed pure surprise.

``I have no idea why that person would be named to this job,'' he said.

Yeltsin Appoints Reportedly BEREZOVSKY'S Man to Head His Staff.

MOSCOW, March 19 (Itar-Tass) -- Russian President Boris Yeltsin on Friday
relieved Nikolai Bordyuzha from duties of the head of the Russian presidential
administration and secretary of the Russian Security Council. Bordyuzha was
reported to take up other work.

Presidential spokesman Dmitri Yakushkin told Tass that the Russian president
had appointed Alexander Voloshin, 43, a new chief of the Kremlin staff.
According to Kremlin sources, Voloshin is a man of oil-to-media tycoon Boris
Berezovsky. He has been working as deputy head of the presidential
administration since September 12, 1998, and is reported to be close to former
chief of the Kremlin staff Valentin Yumashev, now a nonstaff presidential
adviser.

Yakushkin told Tass that Yeltsin on Friday had met with the new head of his
administration at the "Rus" residence outside Moscow to give him instructions.

In a telephone conversation Yeltsin had with Bordyuzha the same day the
president thanked him for the work done, and wished him early recovery from
the heart problems Bordyuzha had recently experienced.

Primakov Lists Priorities for Gore Talks

Rossiyskaya Gazeta
[translation for personal use only]
Interview with Prime Minister Yevgeniy Primakov by unidentified
ITAR-TASS correspondent; date, place not given: "On Eve of Visit:
Strengthening Foundations of Partnership for 21st Century" -- first
paragraph is introduction

The next session of the Russian-U.S. Commission for
Economic and Technological Cooperation, in which Russian Federation
Government Chairman Yevgeniy Primakov will be taking part, will take
place in Washington 23-25 March. The Russian premier answered ITAR-TASS
questions before his trip to the United States.
[ITAR-TASS] How do you assess the significance of Russian-U.S. partnership
relations within the framework of the formation and development of our
country's foreign economic and scientific-technical ties? How, in your
view, have they changed of late?
[Primakov] I have a very high opinion of their significance. The United
States
steadily features among our top three trading partners and is a major
source of investment, advanced technologies, know-how, and managerial
experience for the country. U.S. financial and technical aid is a weighty
factor. Over the last few years plenty has been achieved in our bilateral
economic ties. Commodity turnover has increased and the geographic and
commodity structure of economic exchange has expanded. Good mechanisms
have been developed for making progress with promising bilateral projects.
Around 3,000 joint ventures have been set up in various economic sectors. A
number of important steps have been taken to eliminate the restrictions
on economic cooperation left over from the Cold War period.
However, strictly speaking we are only beginning effective economic
collaboration. Our commodity turnover is certainly increasing but what is
$9 billion a year in the context of the $1 billion a day in U.S.-Canadian
trade? What is $5 billion in U.S. investment in Russia compared with the
tens, if not hundreds, of billions of dollars of U.S. capital investment
in China? The current parameters of our economic relations are undoubtedly
improving but they are doing so too slowly. Intensive, painstaking work
lies ahead to strengthen the economic foundations of the Russian-U.S.
partnership for the 21st century.
[ITAR-TASS] In your view, what are the most important tasks facing the
Russian-U.S. Commission for Economic and Technological Cooperation? With
what results of the Commission's work would the Russian side like to
enter the third millennium?
[Primakov] When deciding to set up the Commission the presidents of
Russia and
the United States clearly set out its main task -- to lay a firm economic
foundation for the emergent system of relations between the new Russia
and the United States. In the past few years the Commission has been an
important stabilizer in Russian-U.S. relations, lending them stability
and predictability. This is illustrated, inter alia, by the over 200
agreements, memorandums, and other treaty-legal documents signed under
the Commission's auspices. Its sphere of activity has expanded
immeasurably. Today it goes far beyond the purely economic and
technological framework, affecting many other areas of our collaboration.
Thus, in line with the decisions adopted by Presidents B.N. Yeltsin and B.
Clinton at the September 1998 Moscow summit, currency-financial questions
(reform of the banking system, shaping a global financial system in the
21st century, etc) have been included in the Commission's purview along
with the economic aspects of law-enforcement problems (countering
transnational threats in the economy, combating money laundering, the
flight of capital, and so on). And, as you know, these are top-priority
areas in the current Russian Government's activity.
The Commission's formative stage can be said to have come to an end.
Ahead lies a great deal of crucial work to shape an architecture for
businesslike collaboration between our countries which meets current
realities.
[ITAR-TASS] What subjects and questions in bilateral relations can be
described
as priority for the upcoming Commission session? What decisions would you
like to secure so that the session can be called a success?
[Primakov] In preparing for the session we have paid priority attention
to the
following questions. First, how to reorient the Commission's work to
provide real assistance in resolving Russia's problems of macro and
microeconomic stabilization and restructuring. Second, how to clear as
far as possible the "obstructions" and unresolved problems that have
built up during its work, how to boost the effectiveness of the
Commission's work. It is no secret that by no means all of the 200
documents signed within the Commission framework are up and running.
Among the economic issues that we regard as a priority I would like to
single out the minimization of the negative consequences of the U.S.
antidumping investigation into Russian rolled metal shipments, the
extension of the quota for commercial space launches by Russian
launchers, the definitive settlement of questions associated with the
implementation of the intergovernmental agreement on high-enriched
uranium and low-enriched uranium, the resumption of U.S. Eximbank funding
for projects in Russia, the abrogation of the Jackson-Vanik Amendment,
and Russia's removal from various discriminatory restrictive lists.
We also intend to discuss in detail with the Americans possible ways of
galvanizing small business contacts, cooperation in the sphere of
telecommunications and the commercialization of technologies, and
collaboration in realizing regional investment initiatives.
Thus, the agenda for the coming work in Washington is very packed and,
importantly, concrete and we are preparing for it most thoroughly.

Excerpt
PRESS CONFERENCE BY PRESIDENT CLINTON, MARCH 19, 1999

Q: Mr. President, the Russian Prime Minister will be here next week
seeking your support for another very large installment in
international economic assistance. Yet, leading officials in your own
administration say there has been a retreat, if not a reversal, in the
pace of market reforms in Russia. Are you prepared to support the new
installment of IMF funding? And are you on the verge of an agreement
with Russia regarding its nuclear transfers to Iran?

CLINTON: Well, first, let me say that Mr. Primakov is coming here at
an important time. And I have urged all of us in the administration,
our economic team and our political team, to be acutely aware of the
fact that the first thing he had to do was to try to stabilize his own
situation, when he took office.
In terms of the economic reforms that he needs to pursue, he needs
some help from the Duma. And I would be a poor person to be
unsympathetic with a man who is having trouble getting a certain
proposal through a Congress. But I think it is important, if we are
going to help Russia -- and we should; we should do everything we can
-- that we do things that are actually likely to make a difference,
instead of things that will undermine confidence over the long run in
Russia, and in the ability of others to invest there.
So I'm hoping we can reach an agreement which will permit the IMF
program to go forward, because I think that is important. But it will
only work if the money doesn't turn around and leave the country as
soon as it's put in.
In other words, that's what -- what we have to persuade the Russians
of is that we're not trying to impose some economic theory on them.
We're not trying to impose more -- I don't mean just "we," the United
States; I mean "we," the international financial institutions, of
which the United States is a part -- and that we want to see the back
wages paid. We want to see the standard of living of the Russian
people rise. We want to see more investment go in there.
But there have got to be some changes, some of which require
legislative action in the Duma in order for this to work. Otherwise,
even if we put the money in, it will leave. And so that's what we're
working on. And I'm hopeful that we'll also get a resolution of the
second issue you mentioned, and I'm optimistic about that.

Maslyukov: $200 Billion Left Russia With Market Reform

Tokyo, March 16 (Itar-Tass) -- About 200 billion
dollars flowed from Russia since the beginning of the market reform,
Russian First Deputy Prime Minister Yuriy Maslyukov told a news
conference here on Tuesday.
He said that over this period Russia's industrial output dropped by 60
per cent. Russia now imports 60 per cent of food products. Maslyukov also
said that Russia which used to produce 530 million tonnes of oil a year
now produces only 300 million tonnes. The further lowering of oil
extraction is unavoidable as there is a lag in prospecting and drilling.
"All industries are folding up in Russia," the first deputy premier said.
Maslyukov said he still continues favouring the market reform. "I am all for
the market. I realise its necessity," Maslyukov said. "It is only that it
is impossible to pass on from the totalitarian centrally-controlled
economy to the market economy in one year". He said he favours
"socially-oriented economy" aimed at ensuring primary needs of man, not
of separate groups of people. "I wish that swindlers have no access to
the Russian economy," Maslyukov said.
He confirmed that the government will publish the medium-term programme
of Russia's economic development in April. In this connection he
formulated several tasks, describing them as strategic. Maslyukov said
they include "eliminating obvious drawbacks of the economic reform,"
creating normal conditions for investors with the controlling role of the
state, as well as selecting industries for priority development.