March 15, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3090•3091  •

1. The Times (UK): Anna Blundy, Fears of Kremlin purge leave
Primakov exposed.

2. Fred Weir on impeachment of President Yeltsin.
3. Itar-Tass: Leaders of Duma Factions Forecast Russian Developments.
4. John Varoli: Response to White- 3088. (Re sexual harassment).
5. Carl Olson: Big Banana Republic, Not Upper Volta.
6. Itar-Tass: Washington Negotiations Will Be Successful Primakov.
7. Financial Times: RUSSIA: G7 still wary despite IMF hope.
8. Los Angeles Times: Richard Paddock, Patient Deaths Point to Depth of
Russian Crisis. Medicine: Power cutoff kills three on life support. Utility
says it was an accident. Relatives call it murder.

9. AFP: Surgery gives Russian drug addicts new lease of life.
10. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Trade Minister Hits U.S., Others' 'Protectionism.'
11. Interfax: Russian Experts Concerned Over NATO Expansion.
12. Argumenty i Fakty Views Various Power Bases.
13. Reuters: Angela Charlton, Rift Threatens Russian Communists.
14. Moscow Times: Igor Zakharov, BOOKWORM: Yavlinsky Silhouette
A Political History.]

The Times (UK)
March 15 1999
[for personal use only}
Fears of Kremlin purge leave Primakov exposed
FROM ANNA BLUNDY IN MOSCOW

A FLOOD of Kremlin leaks suggest that President Yeltsin, angered at being
overshadowed by Yevgeni Primakov, his Prime Minister, may be considering
another political upheaval that Russia can ill afford.

Russian newspapers all agreed at the weekend that a government shake-up was in
the offing. "Primakov has ten days to become a reformer" was Segodnya's front-
page headline, referring to Mr Primakov's imminent trip to Washington. His
survival was said to depend on returning with long-awaited International
Monetary Fund grants. Desperate to prove that he is still a force to be
reckoned with, Mr Yeltsin has undermined his Prime Minister by threatening to
intervene personally if no deal is struck.

In another blow to Mr Primakov, a spokesman for President Maskhadov of
Chechenya, has accused him of not being "interested in the settlement of the
Chechen problem". Mr Maskhadov has said he wants to deal personally with Mr
Yeltsin.

Nevertheless, most observers doubt that the Prime Minister will be removed. Mr
Yeltsin's recent bedside meetings with Yegor Stroyev, the head of the
Federation Council, Russia's upper house of parliament, and Grigori Yavlinsky,
the leader of the Yabloko party can be interpreted only as a warning to Mr
Primakov.

Both men were considered for the post before Mr Primakov was proposed last
September. The most popular candidate for dismissal by Mr Yeltsin remains Yuri
Maslyukov, a First Deputy Prime Minister and the target of corruption
allegations. If Mr Yavlinsky, a reform economist, were to replace Mr Maslyukov
as chief negotiator with the IMF, Russia's chances of receiving the much-
needed loan could only be improved.

The removal of Mr Maslyukov would sour Mr Primakov's ties with the Communists,
serving Mr Yeltsin's purpose of getting the party out of Government. The
President is eager that his legacy should be one of ridding Russia of
communism.

From: "Fred Weir" <fweir@glas.apc.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999

By Fred Weir
MOSCOW (CP) -- Russia's parliament will formally place the impeachment
of Boris Yeltsin onto its agenda Tuesday, setting into motion the second
spectacle of a president on trial this year.
Unlike the recent American version that concluded with President
Bill Clinton's acquittal, Yeltsin is unlikely to even testify before the
State Duma much less face the humiliation of losing his job.
``The result is known, Yeltsin will not be impeached in the end. But
impeachment is nevertheless the most volatile wild card on the political
scene today,'' says Sergei Markov, director of the independent Institute for
Political Research in Moscow.
The Duma, the lower house of parliament, struck a special commission
last June to collect evidence that Yeltsin -- president of Russia since
1991 -- has criminally led the country astray.
On Tuesday the Duma will officially set a date to vote on the
commission's five-part indictment of Yeltsin for treason and other crimes
against the Russian people.
``These charges are all extremely serious. They have been prepared by
some of the country's best legal minds,'' says Vadim Filimonov, the
commission's Communist chairman.
``The underlying issues here have nothing to do with political revenge
against Yeltsin and everything to do with making a president accountable to
the system,'' he says.
Under Russia's Yeltsin-authored 1993 constitution impeaching a president
is an almost impossibly complicated procedure. First, he must be indicted
for ``high treason or other grave crimes'' by a two-thirds vote in the Duma.
The charges must be upheld by the Constitutional Court and then endorsed by
two-thirds of the Federation Council, parliament's upper chamber.
But while the Duma is dominated by Communists, the Constitutional Court
is packed with Yeltsin appointees. The Federation Council is composed of
regional leaders who are generally loyal to the Kremlin.
"It's hard to say what will happen, because the situation is very
unstable. Yeltsin's health is fading and his political grip grows weaker by
the day,'' says Viktor Kuvaldin, an analyst with the Gorbachev Fund, a think
tank run by the former Soviet leader.
``When you throw an impeachment trial into this picture, the
consequences can be quite unpredictable''.
The Duma will be asked to indict Yeltsin on five counts: for illegally
conspiring to dissolve the Soviet Union in 1991; overthrowing the
constitution and violently dispersing the elected parliament in 1993;
launching a two year civil war in Chechnya, which cost tens of thousands of
lives; undermining
Russia's national defence by neglecting and ruining its armed forces; and
committing genocide by pushing through market reforms that caused falling
birthrates and plunging life expectancy.
``Considering that an American president was nearly impeached for
telling a few white lies about his sex life, this cannot be treated as a
frivolous business,'' says Alexei Chesnakov, an analyst with the independent
Centre for Political Trends in Moscow.
``These charges express the political divisions that have tortured and
paralyzed this country since the breakup of the Soviet Union,'' he says.
``It is a very harsh judgement on the entire Yeltsin era but,
unfortunately, one which almost all Russians at least partially share''.
Unlike Bill Clinton, whose ratings soared throughout his impeachment
ordeal, Yeltsin's popularity has been stuck in the low single digits for
over a year.
The near-invulnerability of Yeltsin's constitutional position, combined
with the starkly political nature of the accusations, has led some observers
to dismiss the Duma's impeachment drive as irrelevant. But that may be about
to change.
``It's very likely that at least one, and maybe two of the articles of
impeachment will be endorsed by the Duma,'' says Markov. ``That will be
enough to launch impeachment onto political centre stage, and give it
momentum''.
Although many of the charges boil down to a Communist hit-list against
the Kremlin, the agonizing and bloody war in Chechnya -- which Yeltsin
prosecuted without the consent of parliament -- is an issue most of the
Duma's fractious groups can agree on.
``We will vote to impeach Yeltsin over the Chechnya war, if not for
other points of the indictment,'' says a spokesperson for Yelena Mizulena,
the liberal Yabloko party's representative on the impeachment commission.
It is not clear when the Duma will decide to put the matter to a vote,
but analysts say it will probably drag the process out for some time.
``No matter how things turn out, at the very least we have elaborated
the procedures for impeaching a president,'' says Filimonov.
"This is a major step toward real parliamentary democracy in Russia, and
it's one of the most practical steps this Duma has ever taken''.

*********

Leaders of Duma Factions Forecast Russian Developments.

MOSCOW, March 14 (Itar-Tass) - Leaders of four major factions of the State
Duma gave their forecast of the Russian political and economic situation
for the next two-three months in the NTV Itogi television program on Sunday.

"No elections will help us," Vladimir Zhirinovsky, leader of the 50-strong
Liberal Democratic faction, said. "We have exhausted the limit of the
democratic development in Russia... It is time to proceed to a completely
new regime and try to bring order to economics."

The political accord "will not radically change the power system in the
country," leader of the 60-strong Our Home is Russia faction Vladimir
Ryzhkov said. "That will be a temporary freezing, and several months later
we will again face the same problems which have been characteristic of us
for the past seven- eight years." Despite the Primakov government's
"enhancement of its economic bloc" in the next two months "we do not expect
serious changes for the better," he noted.

"In the next two-three weeks the rightist radicals will try to make another
revenge by ruining the government of Primakov, and we will take all
measures to prevent that," leader of the 128-strong Communist faction
Gennady Zyuganov remarked. He is sure the State Duma will support the
impeachment of Boris Yeltsin on April 14.

Zyuganov, however, stands for preserving the government of Yevgeny
Primakov. "The three power branches shall gather and clearly say that the
government will not be dismissed without a report at the Federal Assembly,"
he said.

Leader of the 46-strong Yabloko faction Grigory Yavlinsky agrees that the
State Duma will approve of the impeachment. He thinks it "highly possible"
that 300 deputies of the Duma will vote for the dismissal of the president.
However, Yavlinsky does not believe the general situation will change.
"Against the background of the current standing of the president, the
government and the structure of the Duma we will have what we have in the
next two-three months," he remarked.