March 11, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3084 3085

1. AP: Official: Alcoholism Threatens Russia's Existence.
2. Itar-Tass: Chernomyrdin Says "Time Is Against Ua" at Talks with IMF.
3. Newsweek: The End of the U.S.S.R. [remarks of Gorbachev].
4. UPI: Gore to raise antisemitism with Primakov.
5. Mark Ames: Re: Peach/FIMACO/3083.
6. David M Rowell: Teaching/training Russian students.
7. Philippe D. Radley: Re: 3082-Hellman/Morality.
8. Newsday: Michael Slackman, Russia's Inner Struggle. Federal government
losing its authority over regions.

9. Moscow Times: Andrei Piontkovsky, SEASON OF DISCONTENT: Personal Thrill
At Oligarch's Comeuppance.

10. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, Is Moscow graft-busting for real?
A big anticorruption drive is read as just the sound of a Kremlin power
struggle.

11. Itar-Tass: Berezovskiy Addresses US Audience on Russian Election.]

Official: Alcoholism Threatens Russia's Existence
March 10, 1999

MOSCOW (AP) -- Alcoholism among Russian teen-agers is on the rise, and
drinking problems continue to afflict millions of Russians, a top health
official said Wednesday.

Some 2.5 million people, or nearly 2 percent of Russia's population of 146.3
million, are officially registered alcoholics, but the actual number is
probably much higher, Deputy Health Minister Gennady Onishchenko told a news
conference.

"This is a frightening figure," he said, according to the Interfax news
agency.

Especially alarming is a growing number of alcoholics among teen-agers, he
said. There were 17.4 alcoholics per 100,000 teen-agers five years ago,
compared to 20.8 per 100,000 last year. In 1999, the figure may rise to 24.4
per 100,000, Onishchenko said.

Per capita alcohol consumption in Russia was about 3.6 gallons last year --
about the same as in France, the world leader. But where the French tend to
drink moderate amounts of wine daily with food, Russians are more prone to
periodic vodka binges that can involve potentially lethal amounts of alcohol.

Official figures also apparently don't include bootleg vodka that often causes
fatal poisonings.

Experts have said that alcoholism, along with smoking, poor diet and a decline
in the birth rate, has contributed to a drop in Russia's population by roughly
2 million people, or 1.3 percent, over the last seven years.

Chernomyrdin Says "Time Is Against Ua" at Talks with IMF.

WASHINGTON, March 10 (Itar-Tass) - "Time is against us" at the talks with the
International Monetary Fund, Russian ex-prime minister Viktor Chernomyrdin
said after his meeting with IMF managing director Michel Camdessus on
Wednesday.

"The more we delay these talks and postpone the signing of the agreement, the
more we will lose," Chernomyrdin told Itar- Tass.

The meeting between Chernomyrdin and Camdessus lasted about two hours, much
more than was planned. Chernomyrdin said it was a "good" meeting which allowed
"us to discuss and consider in substance" the issues which concern both Russia
and the IMF.

"I think that there is a complete understanding of what is happening and I
think there is an understanding of what should be done," he said.

The IMF is sending a new mission to Russia. Its work is Moscow was also
discussed at the meeting.

Chernomyrdin noted that the decision to send the mission had been made by the
IMF head after his telephone conversation with Russian Prime Minister Yevgeny
Primakov.

The mission will "once again check our positions and find points of contact,"
Chernomyrdin said.

He believes that this issue can be solved "without any detriment to Russia."

The length of the mission's work in Moscow "is not the main issue," he noted,
adding that IMF experts will work in the Russian capital as long as it will be
necessary. At any rate, "the IMF and Mr. Camdessus are set to do business."

Asked whether he will feel hurt if the talks in Moscow end successfully
without his participation, Chernomyrdin said that "I have not set myself such
a task" and have not received corresponding powers.

"I am not participating in the signing. This is not my function or my mission.
It will all be signed by the government. It is not the question of who feels
hurt and who doesn't. Business and the result should be most important to all
of us, Russians," he said.

Newsweek
International Edition
March 15, 1999
CYCLES OF CHANGE
The End of the U.S.S.R. [remarks of Gorbachev]

MOSCOW, 1991: Vacationing on the Black Sea, Mikhail Gorbachev was nearly
overthrown by communist hard-liners. The Soviet president regained the
Kremlin, but the U.S.S.R. broke up within months.

I think I shouldn't have gone on vacation. But I thought we had an
agreement that we'd signed, we had an anti-crisis program. I thought that,
in this situation, only an adventurer could decide to take such steps. But
they were adventurers. We should have been more vigorous in reforming the
Communist Party.

I made a choice in favor of freedom and democracy, which was bound to
lead to the abolition of the monopoly [on power] held by the party, to
political pluralism. It was bound to lead to political reforms [and]
reforms of property. But this is a very complicated process, especially
here. And what is happening now is bad.

I would say [the cold war actually ended] in '89, maybe even before
'89the movement started already then. The atmosphere became different,
international relations were no longer ideological ...

Everybody [in the United States], even my friend George Bush, thinks
that it was a happy moment that fell from the sky when the Soviet Union
broke up. OK, it happened. But now Russia wants to be free, democratic,
market-oriented, open to other nations. That is what the world needs. The
people who live here can endure the kind of things the Americans would not
be able to endure. They will endure it, and they will eventually rise. So I
would like to take this opportunity to appeal to all the Americans and ask
them to understand Russia. It's not a poor country, but it is in this cycle
now, and it needs help to overcome it. I think if we could move from
[superficial] talk"my friend Boris, my friend Bill Clinton"to the [United
States'] making real steps in support of Russia, as a partner, it would
help tremendously. How many billions are needed for Russia? Trillions are
needed. Russia is a huge and rich country, and now half-a-trillion dollars
has been taken out of it.

[With the right reforms in 1991,] the union could have been preserved.
And it would have been better for Russia, for other nations, for Europe and
the world. But, as they say, history doesn't know the subjunctive mood.

Gore to raise antisemitism with Primakov
By SID BALMAN Jr.

WASHINGTON, March 10 (UPI) Vice President Al Gore will express concerns
over antisemitism in Russia when he meets later this month in Washington
with Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov, U.S. officials say.

A spokesman for the vice president, Tom Rosshirt, said today that Gore has
been a consistent defender of Jewish rights overseas and plans to raise the
disturbing trend toward official antisemitism in Russia when he meets
Primakov during the last week of March.

"Antisemitism has been an issue of deep concern to the vice president his
whole life," Rosshirt told United Press International. "He will raise it
when Primakov comes into town later this month."

Gore's pledge comes two days after a confidential correspondence arrived
from Capitol Hill calling on him tell Primakov the Clinton administration
will reduce assistance unless action is taken to rein in "fascist
extremism" from the likes of Alexander Barkashov of the Russia National
Unity Party, Communist leader Gennady Zyuganov and Krasnodar Governor
Nikolai Kondratenko.

The letter to Gore, a copy of which was provided to UPI, came from the
chairman and ranking minority member of the Senate Foreign Relations
subcommittee on European Affairs.

"We hope that during your meetings you will find the time to let the prime
minister know in simple terms that United States support for democratic
institutions in Russia also includes also includes unwavering opposition to
antisemitism at any level, in any form," Sens. Gordon Smith of Oregon and
Joseph Biden of Delaware. "Over the years it has not been unusual for the
United States to act on this subject, linking American foreign policy with
what should now be regarded as a cornerstone of human rights policies in
Russia."

In a separate letter, Biden and Smith asked Capitol Hill colleagues to
request that Gore raise the issue with Primakov. They wrote their fellow
lawmakers that the most effective way to "combat this new wave of
hate-filled rhetoric" is to "make it an issue" during Primakov's visit.

But there have been more than rhetorical attacks on Jews in Russia. Most
recently, vandals broke into a synagogue in Novosibirsk on March 7 then
sprayed painted Nazi swastikas on the walls and destroyed the Torah.

State Department spokesman James Rubin condemned the incident and called on
Russian authorities to bring the perpetrators to justice.

"Antisemitism, racism and extremism have no place in any civilized society
and must be strongly combated," Rubin said today in a written statement.
"This issue remains a key element of our dialogue with the Russian
leadership."