Febuary 26, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3070

"America's Impact on Russia" will be broadcast this
Sunday February 27 in the Washington area on Channel 32
WHUT at 10:30 am on CDI's America's Defense Monitor
television series. VHS video tapes may be purchased from the
Center for Defense Information for $19. Contact me or
call CDI at 202-332-0600.
1. AP: Yelstin Says He'll Serve Until 2000.
2. Reuters: Maslyukov Eyes IMF Deal in March.
3. The Economist letter: GRZEGORZ KOLODKO, Don't Abandon Russia.
4. New York Times editorial: Unfinished Cold-War Business.
5. Jeffrey Surovell: upper volta controversy.
6. Yuri Luryi: Re 3069-Plato amicus est, sed veritas magis.
7. Interfax: Poll Shows 90% of Russians Disapprove of Yeltsin.
8. Reuters: Adam Tanner, Gorbachev still battles over image at home.
9. Moscow Times: Igor Semenenko, Top Tax Official Defends Legislation,
Blasts IMF.

10. Interfax: Nemtsov Notes US Pessimism About Russia's Future.
11. AFP: Yavlinsky to Seek Electoral Pact with Moscow's Luzhkov.
12. Itar-TAss: Minister: No Grounds To Ban Russian Communist Party.
13. Argumenty i Fakty: Prime Minister May Go Soon.
14. Tom Adshead: Hough's comment on Bivens/3069.
15. Kommersant Daily: The "Claws" Dig into Bykov (as well as Luzhkov
and Lebed'). (Re Internet site).

16. Mark Jones Re 3069- Hough.
17. Stetson Sanders: Eurasia Foundation, Saratov.
18. New York Times: Louise Shelley, Following the Trail of Rubles.]

Yelstin Says He'll Serve Until 2000
February 25, 1999

MOSCOW (AP) -- President Boris Yeltsin said Thursday that both he and Prime
Minister Yevgeny Primakov were firmly committed to remaining in their posts
until the presidential elections scheduled for summer 2000.

Yeltsin also denied rumors that Primakov intended to compete in the
presidential poll, the Interfax news agency reported.

Primakov said he was ``sick of the speculation'' to this effect in the
media, Interfax said.

``Two firm positions result,'' Yeltsin was quoted as saying. ``My position
is that I will work until the 2000 elections. The position of the
government chief is that he will work as prime minister until the elections
for a new president.''

Yeltsin has been sidelined by a steady string of illnesses, and his
opponents and even former allies have questioned his ability to continue in
office.

However, following a two-week hospitalization with a bleeding ulcer last
month and convalescence at a sanitarium and at home, Yeltsin has been
increasingly active, making frequent forays to the Kremlin to meet with
aides and sign documents.

Maslyukov Eyes IMF Deal in March

MOSCOW, Feb. 26, 1999 -- (Reuters) Russian First Deputy Finance Minister
Mikhail Kasyanov said in an interview published on Friday that he hoped a
deal with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) could be reached in March.

Kasyanov told the business daily Kommersant debt restructuring talks with
other creditors would start after the IMF deal.

"I hope that in March such an agreement will be reached and in April-May we
will hold talks with the Paris Club," he said.

Russia is due to pay $17.5 billion in foreign debt this year, but the 1999
budget allows for payment of only $9.5 billion.

The government wants to restructure or write off debts inherited from the
Soviet Union after its collapse in 1991.

Kasyanov said creditors had not been consulted in advance about the
decision to restructure the former Soviet debt.

"The fact is that the financial situation in Russia was so dramatic that we
could not do otherwise. I think the creditors will understand us," he added.

Kasyanov said the Finance Ministry was now preparing for investors to
return to Russia.

"We want to show all investors, both Russian and foreign, that everything
here is clear and understandable," he added.

He gave no details of what new conditions for investors might be created.

On Thursday, the government approved a range of measures needed to boost
investment, including the simplification and improvement of laws governing
investment and investment conditions in line with international standards.

The Economist
February 27, 1999
Letter
Don’t abandon Russia

SIR—Your suggestion (“Russia, financial outcast”, February 6th) that
Russia should be allowed to default and collapse is entirely wrong, as was
your earlier support of an IMF-led bailout. It was obvious that the money
provided would soon be wasted through crony capitalism and economic
mismanagement. It should now be clear that a comprehensive international
effort is necessary to assist Russia in overcoming the most severe crisis
in the post-communist world.

Abandoning the Primakov government will lead to chaos—not only in Russia
but for the rest of the world. As the current mess is as much due to
ill-advised foreign advice over the last decade as to post-Soviet crony
capitalism, responsibility must be shared by the international community
and the G7. However, any assistance must be on the basis of tough
conditionality, especially with regard to foreign-debt reduction,
institutional reconstruction, and fighting organised crime and corruption.

As former deputy premier of Poland and finance minister in 1994-97, I can
assure you that we were able to succeed. This was not only due to our sound
policies and commitment to liberalisation, privatisation and structural
reforms, but also because Poland was not abandoned by the world when its
support was most needed.

GRZEGORZ KOLODKO
Visiting scholar, IMF
Washington, DC

New York Times
February 26, 1999
[for personal use only]
Editorial
Unfinished Cold-War Business

History will judge the Clinton Administration's foreign policy record
partly by its success in helping Russia reduce the nuclear remnants of the
cold war. Nothing would do more to protect American security in the decades
ahead than insuring that Russia's immense stockpile of nuclear weapons and
materials is diminished and adequately controlled. The modest amount of
money needed to achieve these goals now could save Washington many billions
of dollars in the future to deal with the Russian nuclear threat if it is
not reduced.

Moscow still has 6,000 nuclear warheads poised for long-distance delivery.
Weapons-grade plutonium from dismantled warheads is stored in poorly
secured buildings, vulnerable to theft. Russia also has tens of thousands
of underpaid weapons scientists and workers in 170 scientific institutes
and 10 closed cities that house the Russian nuclear weapons complex. If
President Clinton hopes to leave an enduring mark in international affairs,
he will work on these problems in the remaining 23 months of his term.
Specifically, he should look for innovative ways to further reduce nuclear
weapons and speed the conversion of Russia's nuclear establishment to
civilian activities.

The last nuclear arms reduction treaty, negotiated more than six years ago,
has yet to be ratified by Russia's Parliament. That treaty alone would cut
nuclear weapons totals nearly in half. Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov
recognizes the treaty's value for Russia, both in foreign policy and budget
savings terms. Mr. Clinton should work closely with President Boris Yeltsin
and Mr. Primakov to achieve ratification.

But hopes for deep nuclear cuts need not depend on Russia's
Communist-dominated Parliament. In coordination with Russia's leaders, Mr.
Clinton should initiate steps that go beyond the treaty, including parallel
nuclear reductions and taking more weapons off hair-trigger alert. Such
methods proved effective when tried by Presidents George Bush and Mikhail
Gorbachev a decade ago.

Shrinking Russia's nuclear infrastructure also requires expanding the
cooperative programs developed under legislation originally sponsored by
Senators Sam Nunn and Richard Lugar. These efforts have already supported
the dismantling of some 5,000 Russian warheads. Additional work is needed
now to safely convert as much of the plutonium and enriched uranium from
these bombs into less dangerous forms and to store what remains under much
more secure conditions. The Administration rightly seeks large spending
increases in these programs in next year's budget. It is essential that
Congress approve these requests.

Washington should also press ahead with its efforts to re-employ Russian
weapons scientists in civilian work. Two American programs managed by the
Energy Department are designed to achieve that goal. One, begun in 1994, is
aimed at Russia's scientific institutes. A newer program deals with the
closed nuclear cities. The scientific institutes program has succeeded in
re-employing thousands of Russian scientists at home and keeping them out
of the reach of terrorists or countries eager to make nuclear, biological
or chemical weapons. But a report prepared for Congress this week by the
General Accounting Office called attention to some problems, including
taxation by Russia of some of the aid money and allegations that some
assistance went to institutes and scientists still engaged in weapons work.
However cash-starved the Russian Government is, taxation of American aid
money is unacceptable. Nor should American subsidies support Russian
weapons development.

The G.A.O. report calls for slowing down the nuclear-cities program until
the problems in the institutes program have been resolved. That would be a
mistake. The nuclear-cities agreement is more carefully drawn than its
predecessor and already provides for exemption from Russian taxation.
Tightened project review procedures are in place to make sure that
Washington is not inadvertently subsidizing new Russian weapons
development. These programs, along with Washington's contributions to
Russia's plutonium and uranium conversion and security programs, should go
forward as part of a coordinated drive to substantially eliminate Russia's
cold-war nuclear infrastructure before the Clinton Administration leaves
office.

********