February 22, 1999
This Date's Issues:  3064

1. AP: Russian PM Worried About Welfare.
2. Celeste Wallander: Re 3063/NATO Expansion-LA Times.
3. Kamaljit Sood: Primakov's Call for Change in constitution.
4. MiraMedUSA: Re dying children piece/3063.
5. Association for the Study of Nationalities Convention in New York.
6. JINN MAGAZINE: Thomas Goltz, Crying Wolf or Crying Bear? Little
Azerbaijan Comes in from the Cold.

7. Izvestia: Natalia Neimysheva, Personnel Decide All. (Re firing of
head of tax police).

8. The Globe and Mail (Canada): Geoffrey York, Fear of foreigners fuels
Russian war on cults.

9. Moscow Times: Leonid Bershidsky, MEDIA WATCH: Island Keeps World
at Bay.

10. Reuters: Japan says no progress in Russian talks on islands.
11. Washington Post: Sharon LaFraniere, Harder Times in the City.
Crash of Ruble Pares One Moscow Family's Budget, and Its Dreams.

12. Reason: Thomas Hazlett, Back in the USSR. Post-communist society's
top economic output: capitalist straw men.]

Russian PM Worried About Welfare
February 21, 1999
By ANGELA CHARLTON

MOSCOW (AP) -- Russia's cash-hungry government should trim its welfare rolls,
Russia's prime minister suggested Sunday.
Yevgeny Primakov singled out benefits for people in Russia's north, who are
entitled to subsidies because of the brutal weather and high cost of bringing
in food and consumer goods.
``The Russian government is concerned by a large number of people enjoying
benefits which the federal government cannot ensure,'' Primakov was quoted by
the ITAR-Tass news agency as saying in St. Petersburg. He did not give
specific figures or say the benefits would definitely be stopped.
Russia, facing an economic crisis on top of years of protracted economic
decline, has already effectively cut off millions of people from welfare by
delaying payments to pensioners, disabled people, the unemployed and veterans.
The government owes billions of rubles in overdue pensions and wages to state
workers.
The benefits themselves have not kept up with inflation that has jumped
since
Russia devalued the ruble last August. Most Russian retirees get about $17 a
month.
The Soviet government developed oil, mineral and other resources in the
North
-- a region that covers half Russia's territory -- according to the official
``discomfort index,'' by using prison labor and luring other workers with
well-padded salaries and generous subsidies.
Russia's government can no longer afford to colonize the North at any
cost, or
afford the bloated welfare system it inherited from the Soviet Union.