Febuary 3, 1998
This Date's Issues: 3040

1. Gorbachev: PRIMAKOV'S Proposals on Stability Must Be Discussed.
2. Ryzhkov Proposes Review of Attacks on Primakov Via Media.
3. Robert Donaldson: Upper Volta.
4. Joseph Pickett: Buses in Perm.
5. Russian Aerospace journal.
6. Charities Fear Losing Tax Status Under Bill.
7. Russia's giant moonbeam aims to light a global path.
8. RUSSIA: New EU strategy urged.
9. Politicians Use Extremists to Own Advantage.
10. Zyuganov Calls for New Economic Policy as Basis for Dialogue.
11. Communist Deputy Denies Making Anti-Semitic Statements.
12. Nemtsov Denies Impeding IMF Accord.
13. Democratic Choice Warns of Threat of Dictatorship.
14. Deputy Minister: Russian Assets Abroad Worth $50 Billion.
15. Primakov Outlines Ways of Overcoming 'Economy of Mistrust.'
16. Primakov told to put house in order at Davos gathering.
17. Lebed Interviewed on 'Hero of the Day.'
18. Russian Opinion Poll Puts Communists Ahead.
19. Gorbachev Endorses Primakov-Luzhkov Ticket in 2000.
20. Press Says Prosecutor Ousted for Political Reasons.]

Gorbachev: PRIMAKOV'S Proposals on Stability Must Be Discussed.

MOSCOW, February 2 (Itar-Tass) - "It is necessary to give up all narrow
interests of the Yabloko faction in the Russian State Duma lower house of
parliament, the Communist faction and the "Fatherland" organisation, and
start discussing the proposals of Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov,"
president of the International fund of social and economic and
politological researches Mikhail Gorbachev stated at a news conference at
the Central House of journalists on Tuesday.
"Common interests of the Motherland must be the orienting point around
which it is necessary to reflect on and on the basis of which it is
imperative to reach an agreement -- that is Primakov's intention. After
all, he does not insist on his stand but invites to a discussion," Mikhail
Gorbachev pointed out.
In this connection Gorbachev proposed to support the project by "getting
over everything and having in mind only one thing -- Russia and our
national interests."

********

Ryzhkov Proposes Review of Attacks on Primakov Via Media

MOSCOW, Jan 29 (Interfax) -- Nikolay Ryzhkov, the leader of Popular
Rule parliamentary group, has suggested that three Duma committees - those
for economic policy, legislation and information policy - draft a
resolution assessing the media attacks made by several former Cabinet
members on the government of Prime Minister Yevgeniy Primakov.
"Many public and political figures, mainly recent members of the
government who drove the country to the brink have launched a violent
attack against the government and the State Duma via the media," Nikolay
Ryzhkov told the Duma on Friday.
He said Primakov, his first deputy Yuriy Maslyukov, his deputy
Gennadiy Kulik and other ministers defending national interests are singled
out as targets for the attacks.
"What accord or joint actions can we speak of if the media owners have
declared an open war against any efforts to lead the country out of the
deepest crisis and former Cabinet members are ill-wishing and intriguing in
the West to harm Russia," he said.
Duma speaker Gennadiy Seleznev invited Ryzhkov to direct an official
request to the parliamentary committees.

********