January 29, 1998
This Date's Issues: 3033 3034

1. AFP: Poll: Majority of Russians Lament for Brezhnev's 'Golden Age.'
2. Moscow Times: Natalya Shulyakovskaya, U.S. Aid for Press Not Wanted
3. William Bontrager: Re Moral Degradation in Russia (Itar Tass, 3029).
4. The Economist: Russia's Rich Presidency. The crown estate.
5. AFP: Russian governors unite to fight elections, combat separatism.
6. BBC: Alan Little, Embalming - the new Russian revolution .
7. RFE/RL: Robert Lyle, Russia: Three Key Areas Require Reform. (Views
of Lawrence Summers).

8. Intellectualcapital.com: The President Still Remembers Me.
An Interview with Boris Nemtsov.

9. Moskovskiy Komsomolets: Vladimir Pashkov, "I Believe. The Falcons of
Metropolitan Kirill." (Church Said Too Closely Tied to State).

10. INDEPENDENT MEDIA NEWS UPDATE: RATING THE WORLD'S MOST EXPENSIVE
CITIES, MOSCOW MOVED FROM THIRD TO EIGHTY EIGHTH PLACE.

11. Interfax: Russian Military Calls for Strategic Stability Treaty.]

Poll: Majority of Russians Lament for Brezhnev's 'Golden Age'

MOSCOW, Jan. 29, 1999 -- (Agence France Presse) More than half of Russians
believe that the rule of hardline communist leader Leonid Brezhnev was a
"golden age" for their country, a public opinion poll published by Interfax
news agency said Thursday.
Asked under which leader Russians felt they were best off and enjoyed
highest international esteem, most of the 1,500 people polled said Brezhnev.
Sixty-five percent of people between 35 and 44 years hailed the Brezhnev
era, the Public Opinion Foundation poll found, even though it was a period
of stagnation for the Soviet Union.
Brezhnev succeeded Nikita Khrushchev as communist party leader in October
1964 and died in power in 1982.
Other Soviet or Russian leaders garnered between 8 percent and 1 percent.
Nineteen percent of people over 60 years said the best period was that of
communist dictator Joseph Stalin who died in office in 1953.
Mikhail Gorbachev, the last Soviet leader, and Russian President Boris
Yeltsin who replaced him in Moscow after the demise of the Soviet Union in
1991, were both given poor ratings.

Moscow Times
January 28, 1999
U.S. Aid for Press Not Wanted
By Natalya Shulyakovskaya
Staff Writer

The $10 million in U.S. aid announced by Secretary of State Madeleine
Albright
to promote independent media in Russia drew a scathing reaction Wednesday from
Communists in the State Duma.
Speaking for the party's faction in the Duma, parliament's lower house,
Deputy
Rinat Fabidullin called the U.S. initiative a "gross intervention into
Russia's internal affairs."
Albright announced the aid Monday during a two-day visit, saying, "vigorous
investigative journalism helped build momentum for change here more than a
decade ago; it is more vital than ever today."
But the Communists, who have long demanded public advisory boards at
television and radio stations to give themselves more control over the media,
said the U.S. aid would be too intrusive in light of the upcoming Duma and
presidential elections, "which will define the future fate of Russia."
"Those who pay, order the music," Fabidullin said.
His statement was echoed by Zhanna Kasyannikova, a deputy editor of
Sovietskaya Rossiya, a staunchingly anti-reform newspaper.
"If there is the smell of money, what sort of independence can you talk
about?" Kasyannikova said. "Cheese is only free in a mousetrap."
Albright's promise of aid also raised the question of who would actually
receive the money. Much of the money from some past aid programs has gone
toward paying U.S. and other Western consultants.
The programs to help Russian media are being developed by Western
foundations,
said Nina Balyasnikova, who heads the media program at the Moscow branch of
the Open Society Institute, a branch of the Soros Foundation.
The U.S. money for supporting independent media in Russia will be joined by
another $10 million being given by the Open Society Institute, she said.
The Dutch government as well as several international organizations also are
contributing to programs to help Russian media combat dwindling circulations,
dropping ad revenues and other problems stemming from the financial crisis,
Balyasnikova said. She gave no figures.
"We are looking at the slow death of a lot of independent media," said Ann
Olson, director in Moscow of Media Viability Fund, an international non-
governmental organization that also will participate in projects supporting
independent press in Russia. "Not only is it one of the most crucial times
financially, it is also one of the most crucial times politically."
Much of the aid is likely to be directed at the regional media, Balyasnikova
said, but specific programs will be announced no earlier than mid-February.
They likely will include training programs for Russian journalists.
In the regions, some journalists said the international aid would come up
against political alignments formed over the years and cemented with financial
kickbacks.
Yekaterina Aksyonova, a journalist at Narodnaya Gazeta, or People's
Newspaper,
in the Siberian city of Ulyanovsk, said it was highly unlikely that her paper,
which receives financing from the regional governor, would accept any
international aid.
"Because of political reasons, we probably will not accept any help, because
how would we then look our governor in the eye?" Aksyonova said in a telephone
interview.