January 12, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3012 3013

1. The Times (UK): Anna Blundy, Russians lured by promise of US
servitude.

2. AP: Russia Panel OKs More Defense Funds.
3. Moscow Times: Cash Shortage Delays Nuclear Refit.
4. Janine Wedel: Washington Book Event Invitation.
5. Norwich University: Russian for scientists, sociologists, technicians,
and normal people.

6. Kathy Crane: Re 3010-Porter/Language Studies.
7. Helen Womack: Bruce Clark's Sailing Round Russia.
8. AP: Russian Impeachment Inquiry Goes On.
9. The Independent (UK): Phil Reeves, Former Soviet boss triumphs in
'grossly unfair' election.

10. Reuters: Prosecutor says Russia suspiciously used IMF funds.
11. Peter de Groot: is it safe to live in Moscow?
12. RFE/RL: Paul Goble, Is The Cold War Really Over? ( Re article
by Sergei Kortunov).

13. Newsweek: Bill Powell and Yevgenia Albats, Summer of Discontent.
Exclusive: the inside story of the crash that brought Russia to its
knees.]

The Times (UK)
January 12, 1999
[for personal use only]
Russians lured by promise of US servitude
FROM ANNA BLUNDY IN MOSCOW

DISENCHANTED with the worsening economic situation in Russia, many of the
country's newly unemployed are fleeing to America to work as servants for
rich, expatriate Russians.
Lured by newspaper advertisements promising well-paid work abroad,
hundreds of
highly qualified people have parted with the hefty fee demanded by the illegal
agencies and have accepted jobs as housekeepers, nannies and gardeners
thousands of miles from home.
Wealthy Russians who have established themselves in America are notoriously
loath to employ the Filipino staff favoured by their US counterparts,
according to Segodnya newspaper. They are also keen for their children to be
cared for by Russian speakers. Although the agencies take a £70 joining fee
and the first four weeks' wages, the work, at around £150 a week plus bed and
board, is far more lucrative than anything available at home, where the
average wage is less than £50 a month.
"I have two children and my husband can't find work," says Olga Tarasov, who
has just signed up with an agency that she hopes will find her domestic work
not too far from New York. "My cousin is a nanny for a Russian family in New
York and the agency promised me that I wouldn't have problems getting a visa
if I was leaving my children behind."
Segodnya cited the case of woman, identified only as Irina, who earned
thousands of dollars working as a housekeeper for a Russian-American family
and returned to Russia to start her own employment agency. The newspaper
described Irina's light workload and heavy pay packet with awe. It said the
family she served always ate ready-made food which needed only to be heated up
and that they owned so many hi-tech domestic appliances that Irina barely had
to exert herself.

Russia Panel OKs More Defense Funds
January 11, 1999
By MITCHELL LANDSBERG

MOSCOW (AP) -- A key parliamentary committee voted Monday to increase Russian
defense spending this year -- despite the government's inability to fund the
military even at its existing level.
The budget subcommittee of the State Duma, the lower house of parliament,
said
it wanted to increase defense spending by $65.2 million over the amount
proposed by Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov.
It said the government could raise the money by cutting its own
administrative
spending.
The Duma, dominated by Communists and nationalists, has long advocated
higher
defense spending than the government. The debate has largely been moot,
however, since the government has been unable to live up to its obligations to
the military in any case.
At the end of October, the Defense Ministry said it had received less than
half the money it had been budgeted in 1998.
With the proposed increase, defense spending would total 93.7 billion rubles
in 1999. Although that is well above last year's defense budget of 80.4
billion rubles, it amounts to a sharp decline in real spending since the value
of the ruble has plunged since last August, when it was devalued.
At current exchange rates, 93.7 billion rubles is worth $4.07 billion. At
the
time last year's budget was signed, 80.4 billion rubles was worth $13.4
billion.
Duma Speaker Gennady Seleznyov said Monday that the lower house would
hold the
second of four votes on the budget Jan. 19, with final passage possible by
Feb. 4.
Until a 1999 budget is passed, the government is using the 1998 budget as a
blueprint.
In another economic development Monday, the Central Bank announced that
it had
tightened its currency controls by requiring exporters to repatriate 75
percent of their hard currency revenues, up from the previous limit of 50
percent.
That means Russian companies will be allowed to keep only one-quarter of
their
export earnings in hard currency, with the rest converted into rubles.
The change, which had been widely expected, went into effect Sunday.
The Central Bank set its official dollar rate at 23.06 rubles Monday, up
from
22.40 rubles Sunday. The rate was about 6 rubles to the dollar before the
devaluation.
The ruble has been pressured by inflationary expectations, as the government
continues injecting fresh rubles into the economy to settle at least a portion
of its huge wage and pension arrears.

Moscow Times
January 12, 1999
Cash Shortage Delays Nuclear Refit
By Vladimir Isachenkov
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

A U.S.-Russian plan to phase out nuclear weapons production at a Siberian
plant is in jeopardy because of a shortage of funds, officials said Monday.
In 1997, Russia and the United States agreed to stop production of weapons-
grade plutonium at the Zheleznogorsk nuclear weapons production and research
center, formerly known as Krasnoyarsk-26, by the year 2000.
The reactor also provides electricity and heat for the city's 100,000
residents, and the 1997 U.S.-Russian agreement envisaged U.S. financial aid to
build a replacement power facility.
However, the disbursement of funds has been stalled by the failure of
Russian
officials to work out a Western-style audit scheme to ensure that the money is
spent properly, the center director Valery Lebedev said, Itar-Tass reported.
Part of the construction costs, about $40 million, was to be financed by the
government, but it has not provided the money because of the country's
economic crisis, Lebedev said.
As a result, the reactor will have to continue work at least until the
summer
of 2001, producing plutonium, he said.
However, Vitaly Nasonov, a spokesman for the Nuclear Power Ministry that
oversees Zheleznogorsk, called Lebedev's account of the situation
overdramatized and voiced hope that Russia be able to fulfill its commitments.
Russian officials have already worked out audit proposals that would be
discussed at a meeting with U.S. officials later this month, he said.
At the time of its signing by U.S. Vice President Al Gore and then Prime
Minister Viktor Chernomyrdin in September 1997, the agreement to fully end
plutonium production was hailed as an historic step.
U.S. President Bill Clinton's administration has been pushing for the accord
for years, part of U.S. efforts to ensure that Moscow safeguards and reduces
its vast nuclear stockpile.
Apart from the reactor in Zheleznogorsk, the agreement also envisaged
stopping
the plutonium production at two other military nuclear reactors in Seversk,
formerly known as Tomsk-7.
Nasonov, the ministry spokesman, said that works at Seversk were going on in
accordance with plan and there was no fund shortage.