December 25, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2532

1. AP: Yeltsin Discourages Early Campaigns.
2. Moscow Times EDITORIAL: Not a Merry Christmas For Everyone.
3. Esther Dyson: Foreign banks.
4. Mark Scheuer: Banks.
5. Jonas Bernstein: Response to Sturua and Albats.
6. Craig DeMott: Comments on Poverty much worse than reported.
7. Moscow Times: Alexander Gordeyev, Primakov Wins First Budget Fight.
8. Jamestown Foundation Prism: Andrei Kalganov, WHO WILL BE THE NEXT
PRESIDENT OF RUSSIA--AND WHEN?

9. Los Angeles Times: Richard Paddock, Russia Shelves Rhetoric to Accept
U.S. Food Aid.

10. St. Petersburg Times editorial: Squabbling Costs Liberals Big Chance.
11. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: 'Conditions Ripe' for Moscow-Beijing-Delhi
Triangle]

********

Yeltsin Discourages Early Campaigns
December 24, 1998
By GREG MYRE

MOSCOW (AP) -- Boris Yeltsin, who bristles at being labeled a lame duck,
scolded his potential successors today for acting as if they were already
president.

``There is still a year-and-a-half until the presidential election, and we
already have people who think they are the president,'' Yeltsin was quoted as
saying by Russian news agencies. ``This is unpleasant and it won't help them
at the polls.''

The next presidential election is set for the middle of 2000, but Yeltsin's
health problems have spurred some politicians to launch informal campaigns in
case he leaves office early.

The president did not mention any names, but appeared to be referring to
Moscow Mayor Yuri Luzhkov, who recently launched his own political movement
and has been speaking out on national issues such as economic policy and
Russia's foreign relations.

Luzhkov has been an ally of Yeltsin for years, but recently the mayor has been
critical of the president.

Yeltsin, 67, says he has no serious illnesses and will serve out his full
term. He has been unable to work full-time for months, though he has been more
active since recovering from a bout of pneumonia earlier this month.

The president said there were some candidates he would not like to see in high
office, but he did not name them.

``For this reason we shall use the strengths of our official positions in
order to influence the process in a way that would make the new president
worthy of Russia,'' Yeltsin was quoted as saying by Russian news agencies.

Other leading presidential contenders are Communist Party leader Gennady
Zyuganov, Siberian governor Alexander Lebed and liberal politician Grigory
Yavlinsky.

********

THE MOSCOW TIMES
December 25, 1998
EDITORIAL: Not a Merry Christmas For Everyone

The Western Christmas holiday, when many of our readers are enjoying the
comforts of a happy family celebration, is a good time to think about the
millions of people here in Russia who do not have much reason to celebrate
this year.

The financial crisis has cut living standards dramatically. Many people will
not have the money to pay for presents on the traditional New Year's
celebrations and their family feasts will be very modest affairs.

It is easy living in the isolated and privileged world of foreign expatriates
to forget how much pain is being felt by average Russians. Certainly, Moscow
is still better off than the rest of the country and its thick layer of "New
Russians" and middle-class Russians is better placed to withstand the current
depression.

But even here in the showpiece of Russian society, tens of thousands of people
have lost their savings in the collapse of the country's banking system. Still
more have become unemployed or had their salaries slashed as the banking,
media and consumer-goods businesses have switched from boom to bust.

Some of the worst affected people, however, are those on fixed incomes,
especially pensioners. Prices have jumped by 60 percent in the past few
months, but pensions and other benefits have not been adjusted, if they are
paid at all. The government is now talking about a modest indexation of
pensions but only in April next year. Even the formerly rich city of Moscow is
being forced to cut back, for instance, by reducing the supply of free
medicines to the elderly.

Some of the most poignant stories in The Moscow Times have looked at ways in
which Western aid, both institutional and personal, can help.

Local expatriate community groups are giving money to improve the quality of
care at Moscow's orphanages or to feed the homeless on Moscow's streets.
Groups like the Red Cross are active in those remote regions of Russia where
there is real hunger.

Even for the more affluent readers of The Moscow Times, now might be a hard
time to think about giving to charity. Many are seeing profits fall at their
businesses and are economizing.

But it goes without saying that now is the time when Russia needs help. For
Russia's poor, this will be a cold and desperate winter.

The Moscow Times takes this opportunity to wish all its readers a Merry
Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year.

********