December 12, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2515  2516

1. Reuters: U.S. team thinks Yeltsin still in charge in Russia.
2. The Economist: Western man’s burden. Foreigners are becoming ever
more involved in trying to run Russia.

3. AP: Solzhenitsyn Turns 80, Snubs Russia.
4. Interfax: Mayor Luzhkov Criticizes US Economic Advisers For Crisis.
5. Itar-Tass: Yavlinskiy Presents Report to World Economic Forum.
6. Dale Herspring: What to do with the Russian Military
7. AP: Russian Military Experiencing Decay.
8. Ariel Cohen: Galina Starovoitova Memorial Meeting at Heritage
Foundation in Washington DC.

9. John Varoli: Re The Poor State of Sociology.
10. Keith Darden: Kirienko Talk.
11. St. Petersburg Times: Brian Whitmore, Rare Gun Used by Deputy's
Assassins. (Starovoitova).

12. Moskovskiy Komsomolets: Oleg Yuriyev,"Divide and Conquer: Russian
Laws Are Still Being Written In America."

13. Moscow Times: Julia Solovyova, 5 Years of Constitution Marked.
14. Reuters: World Bank gloomy on Russia economic outlook.
15. The Times (UK): Anna Blundy, Moscow sobered by bubbly crisis.]

U.S. team thinks Yeltsin still in charge in Russia
By Patrick Worsnip

MOSCOW, Dec 11 (Reuters) - A high-level U.S. mission concluded after talks
with Kremlin leaders that Boris Yeltsin ``remains very much the president'' of
Russia despite his health problems, senior U.S. officials said on Friday.
The officials, briefing reporters on condition they were not identified, said
two days of talks with Russia's new, more conservative government had failed
to resolve concerns over alleged Russian supplies of missile technology to
Iran.
And they said the U.S. team was taking a wait-and-see attitude over whether
Russia's parliament would finally ratify the START-2 strategic arms treaty
with Washington, despite promises by Russian officials this would happen this
month.
The mission, led by Deputy Secretary of State Strobe Talbott and Deputy
Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers, visited Moscow to gauge the economic and
political course of the government of Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov,
appointed in September.
Primakov took over amid an economic crisis caused by a devaluation of the
rouble in August and a freeze on bond and loan repayments.
U.S. officials refused to be drawn on whether a budget approved by the Russian
cabinet on Thursday would persuade the International Monetary Fund to resume
loan instalments delayed over concerns Moscow may be backsliding on economic
reforms.
The team did not see Yeltsin, who is resting at a residence near Moscow after
two weeks of hospital treatment for pneumonia, but met Primakov and Kremlin
chief of staff Nikolai Bordyuzha, who they said were in touch with the
president on policy issues.
``There was quite concrete evidence that President Yeltsin was very much on
the job, (and) remains very much the president of his country,'' one official
said.
Washington has strongly backed Yeltsin since the Soviet Union collapsed in
1991, and has consistently played down the health problems that have plagued
him. In recent weeks, Primakov has assumed many of Yeltsin's traditional
roles.
The U.S. team heard ``categorical reaffirmation'' from the Russians that they
opposed the transfer of missile technology to Iran, which Washington calls a
``rogue state,'' but told Kremlin leaders that the problem persists, officials
said.
The alleged transfer by private Russian companies ``remains a very real and
troublesome piece of unfinished business between the two governments,'' one
official said. ``We have some differences between us and we have some hard
work ahead of us.''
Russian First Deputy Prime Minister Yuri Maslyukov told the Americans on
Thursday that Moscow was willing to step up export controls on illicit
technology transfers, but first wanted to see proof they were taking place,
Russian news agencies said.
Despite a promise by Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov to U.S. Secretary of State
Madeleine Albright in Brussels this week that START-2 would pass the Duma this
month after a five-year delay, U.S. officials in Moscow expressed caution.
``I'm certainly not making any firm predictions there,'' one said. ``We've
obviously been waiting for that for a very long time.'' Albright said on
Wednesday she hoped prompt ratification of the treaty would enable her to
launch a fresh set of strategic arms talks during a visit to Moscow in
January.
U.S. officials said Summers and his staff still needed to analyse the Russian
budget, which Moscow-based experts say includes highly optimistic revenue
targets, but believed it was up to Moscow to win new loans from the IMF.
The Americans and Russians agreed that ``Russian economic policy was crucial
to the resolution of Russian debt issues,'' one official said, adding that the
U.S. team ``did not come to prescribe and did not come with a cheque-book.''
The IMF, worried by Russian plans to bail out struggling industries and banks
by printing new money, has called on Moscow to come up with a credible
economic plan that will include more vigorous tax-gathering.

The Economist
December 12, 1998
[for personal use only]
Western man’s burden
M O S C O W
Foreigners are becoming ever more involved in trying to run Russia

WHEN a country habitually lacks people or governments capable of keeping
essential services going, outsiders sooner or later begin to fill the gap. One
word for this is colonisation. It is early days, but something of the kind may
be starting to happen in Russia.
The best example is when extreme danger is involved. Take Russia’s old and
badly managed nuclear weapons and nuclear-power plants. Westerners are already
heavily involved in keeping them safe. American money—$453m this year—pays for
monitoring gadgets at nuclear-weapons sites and for the conversion of bomb-
making material into a less dangerous form. Another $30m goes to help
scientists—potentially just as dangerous—who might take their skills to North
Korea or Iraq. The European Union is spending $104m on nuclear safety,
including two new centres to train some 1,000 monitors to keep tabs on
Russia’s nuclear material.
Other countries have programmes of their own. Norway is trying to salvage
clapped-out nuclear submarines off the Kola peninsula, in northern Russia.
Finland is spending around $3.3m on the Sosnovy Bor nuclear-power station
close to it, and is also paying for St Petersburg’s sewage, which slurps into
the Baltic, to be better treated before it does.
A growing legion of foreigners is involved in trying to help Russia in other
vital areas. Foreign doctors and nurses are trying, for instance, to stem the
spread of infectious diseases. Foreign policemen have become enmeshed in
fighting corruption. George Soros, an American philanthropist who outspends
most foreign governments in his do-gooding in Russia, supports 4,000 of
Russia’s best teachers, as well as such things as book-buying by public
libraries, stipends for scientists, public health, and retraining jobless army
officers.
Even in the most central function of government—law and order—foreigners,
albeit for commercial rather than for charitable reasons, are vitally
important. The best way to be safe in Russia is to hire a western security
company to guard your business and yourself; and to buy western insurance in
case that is not enough. True, the leg-work is usually sub-contracted to
Russians, including shadowy figures still on the state payroll. But it is the
foreign ingredient that makes such deals stick.
Where will it lead? The Russian state is withering away. Tax revenues, in
dollar terms, mean that Russia, with 29 times as many people, has a government
budget the same size as Finland’s. If the rouble falls further (and it slipped
10% last week), the comparison will be with Ireland.
The resulting hole is filled partly with sheer misery: children huddling
hungrily in unheated, lunchless schools, taught by an unpaid teacher with
tattered textbooks; epidemics of tuberculosis and AIDS; horrible leakages of
dangerous chemicals. Western aid helps a bit—a few billion dollars goes a lot
further than it used to—but is a mere blip on a vast, wretched, dangerous
landscape.
It has become plain that Russia’s financial woes could last for many years.
That is prompting a big, uncomfortable, shift in western ideas about it.
Outside involvement, whether public or private, charitable or commercial, was
supposed to be temporary, as it has been in other post-communist countries.
Estonia, for instance, gratefully received western aid a few years ago, but
now no longer needs it; indeed, the Baltic states are now sending aid to
Russia. Few people thought in 1991, when the Soviet Union collapsed, that
Russia would still barely be able to feed itself seven years later. But the
outlook has changed. “We are looking at a dependency culture which could last
a generation or more,” worries a senior western diplomat.
Both sides are going to find this increasingly irritating. Nordic countries,
for example, are already worrying that next winter, as in this one, they will
find their sleeves being tugged for fuel, food and medicine by local
governments in impoverished towns in Russia’s desperate far north. The more
Russia gets used to western welfare, the less incentive it will have to
replace it through its own native efforts. And as the central government seems
increasingly less worth helping directly, outsiders are looking more and more
to regional and local bigwigs with whom to make deals.
Many patriotic Russians do not like the sound of this. It is not only paranoid
nationalists who note that many managers in private western security firms are
former soldiers and intelligence people. Even quite sensible Russian
politicians fear that the West’s interest is to keep Russia as a place to
extract minerals from and sell consumer goods to, rather than helping it
become an industrial or agricultural power.
Most ordinary Russians do not yet seem to mind. They welcome the prospect of
prosperity and the rule of law, whoever helps to bring it. But this creeping
colonisation will have costs in terms of independence. Some historical
precedents are striking. In China, for example, foreign countries in the 19th
century took over key ports and ran them until the 1930s. When western
countries ran parts of Russia during the civil war that followed the Bolshevik
revolution of 1917, the result in Murmansk, for instance, was a local rouble
backed by sterling.
The idea of westerners coming in to help run Russian cities, or even whole
regions, still seems implausible. But already Russia’s outlying areas are
running themselves with less and less say-so from the centre. A law on mineral
concessions to foreigners is going through Russia’s Duma. Once western
companies are granted rights to exploit Russian minerals, questions of law and
order, and who should enforce them, are bound to follow.
It is imaginable that future investment might be conditional on customs-free
zones administered by outsiders. A Swiss company, SGS, one of a number
offering services to countries that do not trust their own officials, is on
the scene. “What seems unthinkable now may look quite pragmatic in a three
months’ time,” says Scott Blacklin, head of the American Chamber of Commerce
in Moscow. Is it surprising that western taxpayers and Russian nationalists
could both feel queasy?

Solzhenitsyn Turns 80, Snubs Russia
December 11, 1998
By ANGELA CHARLTON

MOSCOW (AP) -- President Boris Yeltsin tried to honor literary giant Alexander
Solzhenitsyn on his 80th birthday Friday, but the veteran of the Soviet gulags
refused Russia's highest cultural award.
Solzhenitsyn, a longtime critic of Yeltsin, thanked the president but said:
``In today's conditions, when people are starving and striking just to get
their wages, I cannot accept this award.''
``Maybe, maybe, in a long, long time, when Russia overcomes its insurmountable
problems, my sons may be able to accept such an award,'' he said at a Moscow
performance of the play ``Sharashka,'' based on an adaptation of his novel
``The First Circle.''
Yeltsin granted Solzhenitsyn the Order of St. Andrew for ``outstanding service
to the fatherland and great contributions to world literature,'' presidential
spokesman Dmitry Yakushkin told reporters.
Yeltsin's deputy chief of staff, Oleg Sysuyev, told Russia's ORT television
station that the writer had the right to decline the award. But it is the
president's duty to ``honor such an outstanding person on his birthday,''
Sysuyev said.
Solzhenitsyn did accept an award from the Russian Academy of Sciences, Russian
news agencies reported.
He is the author of such renowned works as ``One Day in the Life of Ivan
Denisovich'' and the three-volume ``The Gulag Archipelago,'' which chronicled
the atrocities in the Soviet prison camps.
The reclusive Solzhenitsyn attended a party Thursday night at the Swedish
Embassy for Nobel laureates and chatted amicably with former Soviet leader
Mikhail Gorbachev, a man he criticized in the past.
Solzhenitsyn was held in prison camps for eight years, and he turned his
experiences into his life's work, winning him international fame. Soviet
authorities exiled him in 1974 and he lived in seclusion in Vermont before
returning to post-Soviet Russia in 1994.
He has continued writing and makes occasional speeches, but his influence has
waned since the 1960s and 1970s, when he was one of the best-known opponents
of the Soviet system.

Mayor Luzhkov Criticizes US Economic Advisers For Crisis

Moscow, Dec 8 (Interfax-Moscow) -- Moscow Mayor Yuriy Luzhkov, now
visiting Germany, has criticized U.S. economic advisers of the Russian
government and placed part of the blame for his country's current economic
mess on them.
"For a long time we used the advice of American economic experts," he
said on the Deutsche Welle radio station on Tuesday [8 December]. "The
results are evident and don't satisfy me," he said.
The recommendations "undermined our economic potential and cannot
serve as a foundation for advancing or transforming the economy," he said.
"I am familiar with the century long experience of Germany in
advancing cooperative societies and agriculture, the experience of
organizing industry and overcoming the post-war crisis," Luzhkov said.
He said he does not want to contrast "two political systems -- the
United States and Germany," and added that "there is no political
connotation" in his words. "These are objective business- like evaluations
of what happened and what we failed to use," Luzhkov said.

Yavlinskiy Presents Report to World Economic Forum

MOSCOW, December 5 (Itar-Tass) - Grigoriy Yavlinskiy, leader of the
Russian political movement Yabloko, made a report at the World Economic
Forum in Moscow on Saturday on "the political view on Russia today." In the
report, he presented his view point on problems facing the country and
analysed the goverment activities in the reforms implementation over the
past six years.
According to Yavlinskiy, the main goal now is to restore confidence in
government in order to implement the reforms for the sake of all the
Russians, but not in the interests of separate "oligarchic circles."
In Yavlinskiy's view, the income tax for the population should be
lowered to 10 per cent, and the tax on extra high incomes to 15 per cent.
On the whole, all the taxes for producers should not exceed 20 per cent,
and the number of such taxes should stand at four to five.
With such a considerable part of barter in current payments -- 82 per
cent -- a more tax burden is unthinkable, he believes.
The Yabloko leader also dwelt on the population's confidence in the
authorities. It is the most evident when the question is the one of the
population's investing of savings. According to various assessments, the
population has up to 46 billion dollars on hands, however, nobody intends
to make investments into Russia's economy.
Yavlinskiy believes the problem may be settled if to admit
international financial institutions to the Russian financial market. In
two to three years of their active work, the institutions could form a
rather high level of confidence of the population in investing on the
whole, he thinks.