November 11, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2470 2471 2472

1. Reuters: Primakov vows to fight tax dodgers, capital flight.
2. Anna Blundy: droning on. (Re language purity debate).
3. Reuters: Minister says Russian army starved of funds.
4. Alan Fahnestock: Re Oct31/DJ comment.
5. The Globe and Mail (Canada): Geoffrey York, Siberian radar base.
6. The Times (UK) Higher Education Supplement: Nick Holdsworth,
RUSSIA -- Provinces. (Saratov).

7. Business Week: Patricia Kranz, THE PARTY'S OVER. SO WHY NOT PARTY?
8. Washington Post: Donald Blinken, Message to Moscow.
9. AFP: Lebed Warns of Famine Risk in Russia.
10. Reuters: Russian Grain Union says no need for extra imports.
11. Reuters: No places for liberals in IMF talks, Primakov says.
12. Moscow Times: Julia Solovyova, Coldest Winter in 30 Years Grips City.
13. Jamestown Foundation Monitor: GOVERNMENT SUDDENLY GETS MONETARIST
RELIGION.]

********

Primakov vows to fight tax dodgers, capital flight

MOSCOW, Nov 11 (Reuters) - Russian Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov said on
Wednesday he planned to crack down on corporate tax dodgers and take steps to
staunch the flow of capital out of the country, Russian news agencies
reported.
Successive Russian governments have blamed tax evasion and the illegal export
of capital on a grand scale for their inability to finance state spending.
``We will introduce very close scrutiny of exports and imports. We are going
to halt fraudulent schemes whose existence has resulted in capital sitting in
foreign banks,'' Itar-Tass quoted him as telling women members of parliament.
Primakov gave no details of future steps.
Interfax news agency said, however, he recalled that the government had
already tightened requirements on the repatriation of hard currency earnings
by exporters and that he commented that this measure did not go far enough.
He also repeated his position that Russia wanted to restore its credibility
with foreign investors but that his government wished to encourage direct,
long-term investment rather than short-term placements in securities and other
portfolio assets.
Tass said Primakov wanted to take not just civil legal action against tax
dodgers, especially in the corporate sector, but also start criminal
proceedings against them.
The slump in the rouble that followed a decision by the previous government in
August to freeze some of its debt obligations was accompanied by a sharp drop
in tax collection in September, although there was a recovery last month.
Primakov, aided by his Communist first deputy for economic affairs, has drawn
up an anti-crisis plan that won cautious support from the State Duma lower
house of parliament on Tuesday. The government is due to review a budget for
next year at a cabinet meeting on November 17.