September 16, 1998

This Date's Issues: 23762377 ••

1. AP: US Criticizes Russia's Old Policies.
2. Reuters: Adam Tanner, FEATURE - Russia's crisis stuns expectant
mother.

3. Moscow Times: Chubais: I Didn't Lie. (Letter)
4. The Times (UK): Anna Blundy, Westerners flee as Russians rediscover
black sense of humour.

5. Jerry Hough: Primakov cabinet.
6. Masha Gessen: inadvertent publication.
7. the eXile: Mark Ames, Escape From Moscow. (And comment on apology)
8. Financial Times (UK): Letter by Robert McIntyre on privatization
abuses.

9. Mike McKeever: Hasty economics.
10. Reuters: Russian communists say offered no govt posts.
11. RFE/RL: Matt Frost, Zbigniew Brzezinski Skeptical On Primakov
Appointment.

12. AFP: Moscow restricts price rise for essential items.]

US Criticizes Russia's Old Policies
September 15. 1998s

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The ``do-it-Russia's-way'' approach of newly appointed
Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov could prove disastrous if key figures in the
new government are allowed to pursue policies of the past, a State Department
official said Tuesday.
Stephen Sestanovich, special adviser to Secretary of State Madeleine Albright,
also said Russia could be headed for a punishing round of inflation unless it
gets its financial problems under control.
``The economic crisis knows no pause,'' Sestanovich told a hearing of the
Senate Foreign Relations Committee. ``The new Primakov government will soon be
forced to make fateful decisions that will determine Russia's future and the
kind of relationship we have with it.''
Sestanovich spoke just hours after Russia's new government proposed printing
money to pay back wages and imposing some Soviet-style controls over the
market.
Primakov, a former foreign minister and spy chief, was approved Friday by a
parliament that had rejected President Boris Yeltsin's first choice for prime
minister, Viktor Chernomyrdin. He has appointed Communists to key economic
posts, but said the government will stay the course with reforms and will not
return to a Soviet-style command economy.
Sestanovich said, however, that the policies some in the new government are
proposing -- such as printing money, wage, price and capital controls and
restoring state management of the economy -- ``are likely to have disastrous
results, above all for the Russian people.''
To create a stable and prosperous economy, Russia needs to improve tax
collection, bring its budget under control, deal with the deepening banking
crisis, improve the climate for foreign investment and control corruption,
Sestanovich said.
``There may be more than one path toward stability and growth, but without
these elements Russian economic policy simply cannot succeed,'' he said.
Sestanovich said there are those in Russia who have no more than a tactical
commitment to democratic process and will be prepared to exploit economic and
political turmoil to gain power.
``Neither we nor Russia's elected leaders can ignore this fact,'' said
Sestanovich.

FEATURE - Russia's crisis stuns expectant mother
By Adam Tanner

MOSCOW, Sept 15 (Reuters) - Life seemed pretty stable in Russia eight months
ago when Lena Golubeva decided to have a baby as a single mother.
She had a good job with a firm importing foreign goods, inflation was low and
the situation in the Russian capital appeared to be getting better as economic
reform seemed to be bearing some fruit at last.
Then four weeks ago the government devalued the rouble, shrinking the value of
her 5,000 roubles savings threefold to about $300. Her company took a major
hit, and she says it is unlikely she still has any future there after
maternity leave.
``If I had to think today whether I would have a child or not, I'd probably
decide against it,'' she said in her Moscow apartment where she has abandoned
a planned sprucing up midway though the job. ``Everything seems so terrible
now.''
``I think that those in the first three months who are not well off will do
something about it,'' she added, referring to abortion which is common in
Russia.
Golubeva, 36, who is due in early October, is only one of millions facing
hardship after severe economic changes in recent weeks have led to empty store
shelves and have made some medicines hard to find.
But as Lev Tolstoy wrote in Anna Karenina, every unhappy family suffers
unhappiness in its own way. For Russia's expectant parents the twist of fate
that left the economy reeling is particularly bitter.
``Stability then played a role in my decision. It was all thought out,'' she
said of her decision to have a baby outside of marriage. ``But I'm afraid that
I cannot survive in this Russian economy, or won't be able to find a job, or
won't find a social safety net in case of need.''

ECONOMIC CALM BRINGS MORE BABIES

For years instability in Russia after the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union
deterred would-be parents from having children. The birth rate plummeted from
about 17 births per 1,000 people in 1985 to nine per 1,000 last year.
But as some families began to see light at the end of the transition period
from communism, the trend began to show a reversal.
Russian women gave birth to 645,000 children in the first six months of 1998,
up from 639,000 during the same period a year before, during a time that the
overall population fell slightly.
``From about 1996 or 1997, people began to feel that they could raise children
again,'' said Zinaida Kanasyova, head of the newborn section of the Birth
House 32 maternity hospital where she has worked since 1952. ``We have seen
more births in 1997 and 1998.''
Kanasyova said a better economy played a role in the rise, and some experts
say the latest wave of economic setbacks are likely to send the numbers
shrinking again.
The chaos in Moscow markets outside seems far away for the new mothers in
Birth House 32 overwhelmed by the joy of their new babies.
``We have forgotten about everything that's happening out there,'' said Layla
Mukhameta, 25, a beauty salon administrator who had just given birth to a
daughter. ``We don't care at all about the course of the dollar, that one
prime minister was rejected and another chosen.''
``We are just waiting for the moment when they bring us our babies and it's
then that we are happiest.''
As in Soviet times, mothers usually spend about a week in maternity hospitals,
and the infants are kept away except at regular feeding intervals. The
husbands are also barred.
Mukhameta's husband is a hockey player who earns a salary designated in
dollars so she is not worried about finances.
``Of course everything that's happening (in the economy) is terrible but we
wanted children anyway,'' she said.
Another new mother in the ward, Maryam Mogamedova, 26, does not have a
husband, but maintains a cheery, upbeat outlook.
``My mother had six children and she, an uneducated woman, raised us
practically by herself,'' she said, wearing the hospital's standard-issue
loose robe. ``So why shouldn't I be able to raise one?''
Mogamedova said she does not plan to use imported disposable nappies which
have become scarce in Moscow in recent days, and she will supplement her food
through her mother's garden plot outside the city.
``Of course it will be hard,'' she said with a smile. ``We are already used to
the fact that things will always be unstable.''

PARENTS BUY NAPPIES IN PANIC

On the streets of Moscow where panic buying over the past weeks has sucked
goods off stores shelves, Golubeva feels a more glum apprehension only
amplified by a visit to one of the city's baby supply stores.
Disposable nappies -- called pampersy in Russian after the Pampers brand that
became widespread after the fall of the Soviet Union -- have again become rare
as during Soviet times, and even new cribs have sold out in some stores.
``It's not that I'm afraid that I won't find imported nappies or food,'' she
said before spotting nappies for more than $30 a pack of about 40. ``The
problem is what happens if he falls ill or I fall ill? The other day I had to
wait 40 minutes in line at a pharmacy.''
Golubeva's only significant asset is her apartment which she could either rent
-- she said a neighbour rents a similar apartment for $1,000 a month -- or
sell and move to the periphery of the city. She wants to stay put of course.
But Golubeva and millions of other Russians now have to cope with the reality
of less in life after years of rising expectations.
``Of course ultimately I'm not sorry to be pregnant, I want the baby,'' she
said. ``But things are so grim now. I've never been in such a situation
before.''

Moscow Times
September 16, 1998
Chubais: I Didn't Lie
Special to The Moscow Times

Last week the Los Angeles Times reported that Anatoly Chubais, who led
Russia's negotiations this summer with the International Monetary Fund for a
$22.6 billion bailout in July, had frankly admitted to lying to the IMF about
the state of the nation's economy during those negotiations. The Los Angeles
Times article, which The Moscow Times reprinted Sept. 10 and editorialized
about on Sept. 12, cited an interview with Chubais published in Kommersant
Daily on Sept. 8. Below is an open letter written to the editor of the Los
Angeles Times by Chubais in response to the article.

Dear Editor,

I cannot help but express my categorical disagreement with the Los Angeles
Times' treatment of my Sept. 8 interview with the Russian newspaper Kommersant
Daily.
I consider the interpretation of my position on relations between Sergei
Kiriyenko's government and international financial organizations as having
been absolutely distorted.
The article attributes to me a statement in the Kommersant Daily interview
that the Russian government misled the IMF and the World Bank by concealing
the severity of the country's budgetary problems in order to receive credits
from them. In point of fact, I was speaking of something quite different.
Currently, there is discussion about whether Kiriyenko's government was
justified in using all its resources to support the ruble and to meet its
external and internal obligations. Despite these efforts, the government was
nevertheless compelled on Aug. 17 to announce the now well-known measures of
the government and the Central Bank, which were so painful, primarily, for
foreign investors. Would it have been better, as a large number of analysts
assert, to have implemented these measures back in the spring? Authors writing
about Russia should be very familiar with the content and urgency of this
discussion.
In the interview I addressed this matter as follows, and my position remains
unchanged:
"A devaluation or default on our obligations with respect to GKOs [treasury
bills] in May would have prompted an extremely negative reaction in the world.
By not doing do so at that time, we showed that the government was fighting to
the end, that it was making every conceivable and even inconceivable effort to
meet the expectations of our partners both at home and abroad." And further,
"Had we done what [economist Andrei] Illarionov proposed [and devalued the
ruble in the spring], they would have ended their dealings with us for good.
In other words, the disaster would have been the same as it is now, but in
addition we would have lost all hope that investors would return."
It was precisely in this connection that I expressed the view that even
despite the enormous damage suffered by investors, "and we cheated them out of
$20 billion, (a reference to the moratorium on repayment of $16 billion in
loans by Russian banks and $4 billion by other commercial structures -- note
by A. Chubais), there is an understanding that we had no alternative."
As you can see, this passage has nothing to do with the commitments of Russia
to the IMF in conjunction with the first tranche of $4.8 billion, which the
article said have not been met. As far as the commitments themselves are
concerned, your newspaper must be aware of a statement made by IMF Managing
Director Michel Camdessus on Aug. 17, 1998. It was noted in his statement that
Russia's commitments under the IMF's program were being met "satisfactorily".
His statement also includes an appeal to the international community to show
solidarity with Russia and an understanding of its problems during this
difficult period for the country.
It was precisely this position of the IMF that I emphasized in my interview,
noting: "That's exactly why the IMF supported us, because we did everything
possible to save face for the country".
I would like to comment specifically on the assertion ascribed to me to the
effect that the Russian leadership lied about the instability of the fiscal
system, and that I saw this as a defensible position.
Without starting a debate, I would again like to quote myself:
"You can criticize the [Russian] president as much as you want for saying [the
evening before the devaluation] that there would be no devaluation, but that's
precisely what had to be said. Any sober-minded politician will tell you that
this is the only way the authorities can behave in such extreme situations.
Authorities who whine and vacillate and say one thing and then another only
hasten collapse. I repeat: Perception is reality. Perceptions, expectations,
fears and hopes -- these are the realities that drive markets. In an extremely
grave financial situation, the authorities have no right to say, 'We don't
know whether we can cope or not.' Everyone would flee at once..." (foreign
investors are meant here -- note by A. Chubais).
In the Los Angeles Times article, this quote is given in the form of an
assertion ascribed to me to the effect that "had the government spoken the
truth the Russian economy would have collapsed last spring."
I cannot attribute this and other occurrences solely to the authors' or
translators' poor knowledge of the Russian language and its idiomatic
expressions.
Given the extensive repercussions which the article in the Los Angeles Times
has caused in the world press, I am forwarding this letter to the foreign mass
media. I trust that you will publish it.

Anatoly Chubais
Chairman of the Board
Unified Energy Systems

The Times (UK)
September 16 1998
[for personal use only]
Westerners flee as Russians rediscover black sense of humour
Removal firms are the only ones making money as the bankers abandon Moscow to
its crisis, writes Anna Blundy in Moscow

AS RUSSIA'S new Government awaits the International Monetary Fund delegation
that is likely to decide its economic fate by the end of the week, thousands
of Russians have been laid off or given obligatory unpaid leave and Western
bankers are fleeing the country in their droves.
Foreign exchange booths were revising their exchange rate notices by the hour
yesterday as the rouble veered between 7.5 and 12.2 to the dollar and, to
depress Russians even further, the Agriculture Ministry has announced that the
grain crop this year will be the smallest since 1957.
Yevgeni Primakov, the new Prime Minister, told the press after a meeting with
President Yeltsin that a new governmental structure would be announced by the
end of this week, and Viktor Geraschenko, the Central Bank chairman, has still
not ruled out printing money as a way out of the economic crisis.
Russians have no choice but to grin and bear it, but many foreigners are
busily itemising their belongings for customs clearance on the way out of the
country. The only people prospering here are the shipping and removals
companies, who have been doing a roaring trade as sacked bankers leave the
country with their tails between their legs.
"I don't want to cause panic," said Robert Mills, of Allied Pickfords. "But
before this crisis we were just tootling along. Now we've come into our own.
People really need us."
Bookings at Allied Pickfords, which has been moving people around the world
since 1666 and which brought two Rolls-Royces to Russia for the Queen when she
came to Moscow in 1994, have more than doubled in the past few weeks and Mr
Mills must be the only man in town who has been recruiting.
"Other companies in this business are doing well too, which is great because
we couldn't handle it all on our own," he said. "If you're in charge of either
personnel or accounting here your days are pretty much numbered. There are no
personnel to take charge of and no money to count.
"A lot of people are leaving. I shouldn't say it, but I hope the crisis lasts
until Christmas."
One English banker, who has a seat booked on a flight out of Moscow next
Monday, said the transactions he was working on simply ceased to exist and
most of his colleagues were just twiddling their thumbs or chasing up bad
debts. "Anyone connected with equity or securities must be pretty idle at the
moment," he said.
"All credit lines to Russia have been cut and, although there is still an
equity market, it's bumping along the bottom. There are a large number of
highly paid expats going home."
MFK Renaissance has laid off half of its staff, many of whom have already left
Russia, and other financiers have removal firms and flights booked so they can
leave at a moment's notice.
"Of course, we are the lucky ones," said a sacked English banker. "We stand a
chance of getting other jobs back in London, but don't forget that a lot of
Russians are attached to these firms."
For the thousands of newly unemployed Russians facing a bleak winter, the only
salvation is their sense of humour, dormant during the past few years of boom,
but now resurfacing in newspapers and magazines as the country prepares for
the worst. Old Soviet jokes are being retold with a wry smile. The pessimist
says: "Things won't get any worse now." The optimist says: "They will! They
will! They will!"
Renowned for their inscrutable black humour, Russians always fall back on it
in times of crisis and some newspapers have now set up hotlines for readers to
ring with their favourite anecdotes. The popular daily, Argumenty i Fakty,
received this from a depressed reader: A banker rings up his friend, another
banker, and says: "Hello, how are you?" "Fine," answers the person who picks
up the telephone. "Sorry, wrong number," the banker replies.
Russians are so used to misfortune that as this new crisis wipes out their
livelihoods and the Westerners who had symbolised their new prosperity flee
they can only stand by and laugh.