September 3, 1998

This Date's Issues: 2343 2344•  2345

1. Reuters: Yeltsin, Communist foes poised for showdown.
2. John Dunlop: New book: Russia Confronts Chechnya.
3. Craig Copetas: Bear hunting.
4. USIA: CLINTON REMARKS IN MEETING WITH DUMA AND REGIONAL LEADERS.
5. AFP: Crisis takes Russia back to Revolution of 1917: Lebed.
6. Journal of Commerce: Michael Lelyveld, Corporate US rethinks free
market for Russia.

7. Moscow News editorial: A Routine, If Troubling, Pessimism.
8. Joan Urban: Russian communists.
9. Electronic Telegraph (UK): Marcus Warren, Yeltsin's mental decline
shocks viewers.]

********

Yeltsin, Communist foes poised for showdown
By Gareth Jones

MOSCOW, Sept 3 (Reuters) - President Boris Yeltsin turned back to tackling
Russia's crippling political and economic crisis on Thursday after a two-day
summit with U.S. President Bill Clinton at which he pledged no retreat from
market reforms.
But with the Communist-dominated parliament bent on rejecting his candidate
for prime minister a second time on Friday, Yeltsin's chances of ending the
turmoil looked slim.
Despite the political deadlock, acting Prime Minister Viktor Chernomyrdin was
set to convene a session of his interim government to discuss ways of staving
off economic collapse.
``We are using up time, which is dearer to us than any other resource,
including money,'' Chernomyrdin said on Wednesday.
In apparent contravention of his own constitution, Yeltsin has already
reappointed some ministers by decree, including the defence, interior and
foreign ministers. A cabinet would normally be formed only after the State
Duma lower house had endorsed the prime minister.
Chernomyrdin is widely expected to lose Friday's vote and a third rejection
would force a dissolution of the Duma and an early parliamentary election
fraught with risk for Yeltsin.
Chernomyrdin, named prime minister by Yeltsin on August 23 amid deepening
chaos five months after being sacked from the same job, is under Communist
pressure to change economic course.
On Wednesday the Duma, which overwhelmingly rejected Chernomyrdin's candidacy
two days before in a first confirmation hearing, voted a non-binding package
of measures that would reimpose some Soviet-style state controls on the
economy.
But Clinton, who was due to leave Moscow early on Thursday, said Russia could
expect Western financial help only if it stuck with market reforms.
`As a friend, I say I do not believe that you can defy the rules of the road
in today's global economy any more than I can defy the laws of gravity,''
Clinton told opposition leaders.
``A country that rebuffed Napoleon and Hitler can surely adjust to the
realities of the global marketplace,'' he said.
Yeltsin, his position weaker -- after the collapse of the rouble and a
temporary debt moratorium -- than at any time since he ditched communism in
1991, vowed there would be no going back.
During his appearances with Clinton, the 67-year-old Russian leader spoke
clearly and moved normally but at times seemed confused, sparking renewed
concern about his stamina and general fitness to rule the vast, nuclear-armed
nation.
The rouble has lost half its value in two weeks and Russians are starting to
stockpile food in expectation of price rises.
The central bank set its official rate for Thursday at the current market
rate, 12.82 roubles to the dollar, compared with 10.88 on Wednesday and 6.31
on August 14.
Struggling to clean up the mess in government finances, the central bank also
ordered six big banks to move funds belonging to private citizens into the
state savings bank -- effectively writing a state guarantee under every rouble
they held.
Boris Fyodorov, the acting deputy prime minister who heads a working group on
economic policy for Chernomyrdin, was due to brief the cabinet on Thursday on
his findings. But he has stressed that so far his group can only advise.
``We do not make any decisions. We only make proposals. What conclusions will
be drawn is a political decision,'' said Fyodorov, one of the few reformers
expected to make the transition to the new government if it is confirmed.
Fyodorov has been holding talks with Argentina's former economy minister
Domingo Cavallo, credited with taming his country's hyperinflation in the
early 1990s.
Andrei Kokoshin, secretary of Russia's advisory Security Council, was also
expected to report to ministers on the economic and social situation in the
country.
Kremlin aides and opposition leaders alike have warned of mass revolt in
Russia if the political vacuum persists.
``A riot is something nobody wants. It will sweep away everyone -- all the
political forces,'' said Boris Berezovsky, an influential tycoon with close
links to Yeltsin's entourage.
``People whose names we do not know will come to power,'' he said.
Alexander Lebed, a regional governor and presidential hopeful, said the army
was ripe for revolt. He said he told Clinton that Russia was less stable than
at the 1917 revolution.
``Now we have huge stockpiles of poorly guarded nuclear weapons,'' the former
paratroop general said. Lebed has often given warnings of mutiny among poorly
paid troops who control the world's second biggest nuclear arsenal.