September 2, 1998

This Date's Issues: 2340 2341•  2342

1. AP: Clinton, Yeltsin Conclude Summit.
2. Reuters: Russian Business Daily Warns of "Civil War."
3. Jerry Hough: Boris Fedorov.
4. Ross Wilcock: Helping Russians.
5. Robert McIntyre: Unstoppable Waves of Nonesense, not" Hyper" critical.
6. Victor Kalashnikov: 'The Invisible hand' gets shorter. (Arrest of
deputy finance minister Vladimir Petrov).

7. Newsday: Cynthia Roberts and Thomas Sherlock, U.S.-Russia Summit:
Massive Mismatch.

8. New York Times letters: Carol Saivetz, West Isn't to Blame for
Russia's Mess etc.

9. The Independent (UK): Helen Womack, Street life - How Ivan the
Typical survives.

10. PRNewswire: Russia in Crisis: A Special Report by Russia Portfolio.
11. Moscow Times: Valeria Korchagina,Tax Man Pits Children Against
Parents.

12. USIA: REMARKS BY RESIDENT CLINTON AT FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL FESTIVITIES,
Elementary School #19, Moscow, Russia.]

Clinton, Yeltsin Conclude Summit
By Barry Schweid
AP Diplomatic Writer
September 2, 1998

MOSCOW (AP) -- Concluding his two-day summit with President Clinton,
Russia's Boris Yeltsin said his politically paralyzed nation is determined
to stay the course to democracy and a free economy. Clinton held out hope
for expanded western investments but emphasized ``there is no short cut''
for Russian reform.
The world stands ready to provide financial help so long as Russia
remains on a democratic track, he said.
Yeltsin, in the throes of a full-throttled political crisis, was asked
in a wrap-up news conference what he would do if the Russian parliament
refused to confirm his choice of Viktor Chernomyrdin to return as prime
minister. Would he dissolve parliament in that event? Yeltsin took several
seconds and then said, speaking in Russian, ``We will witness quite a few
events for us to be able to achieve all those results.''
As Clinton and others waited for more, he added, ``That's all.''
Clinton was asked whether he had struck the right tone in his TV
appearance regarding Monica Lewinsky. After Yeltsin's reply he grinned and
quipped, ``That's my answer, too.''
Regarding the brief TV remarks, criticized by many as too grudging and
not apologetic enough, he said, ``I read it the other day again and I
thought it was clear that I was expressing my profound regret to all who
were hurt.''
A reporteer also asked Clinton whether he thought the reaction to his
admission of an affair had hurt his ability to lead the country.
``I have acknowledged that I made a mistake, said that I regretted it,
asked to be forgiven, spent a lot of very valuable time with my family in
the last couple of weeks, and said I was going to back to work,'' he said.
``I believe that is what the American people want me to do and, based on my
conversations with leaders around the world I think that's what they want
me to do, and that is what I intend to do.''
Both presidents described their meetings as successful, and Yeltsin told
reporters he and Clinton discussed ways to intensify U.S.-Russian economic
relations to pull Russia out of its economic tailspin.
``We shall have to suffer through much blood, sweat and tears before new
forms of business cooperation worthy of our two great powers are found,''
Yeltsin said without mentioning the political paralysis he faces with the
State Duma over forming a new government.
Said Clinton: ``I know this is a difficult time, but there is no short
cut.''
Yeltsin said the key to Russia's economic recovery was not further U.S.
assistance but more foreign investment. ``This is what we really need now.''
The Russian leader said several times he wanted the world to know that
Russia does not view U.S. support as a crutch. He said Russia had no choice
but to stick to its plan -- now in danger of failing -- to build a free
market economy.
``Still we need to conclude our reforms, to bring them to completion
and, consequently, to get results,'' he said.

Later Clinton addressed some two dozen members of the Duma and regional
leaders, including Alexander Lebed, a regional governor and former
hard-line commander with a record of challenging Yeltsin's policies, and
Gennady Zyuganov, the Communist Party leader who also is a chief Yeltsin
nemesis.
``Russia must have its own approaches that keep the nation strong, that
care for the people who are in need, that prepare for the future of your
children,'' Clinton said, emphasizing the benefit of a national debate.
``No other country's approach would be exactly right for Russia.''
Referring to Russia's failure so far to build an effective tax
collection system, defeat corruption and pass laws to protect and regulate
banking and other commercial enterprises, Clinton said ``I do not believe
you can find one country in the world that is economically successful that
has completely ignored the ground rules of the global economy.
``If the basic framework is not in place, as a friend I say I do not
believe that you can defy the rules of the road in today's global economy
any more than I could defy the laws of gravity by stepping off the top
floor of Spaso House,'' he said, referring to the U.S. ambassador's
residence in which he was speaking.
At the Kremlin news conference, Clinton said he told Yeltsin: ``If the
reform process can be completed, I for one would be for greater assistance
to Russia.'' He said the United States has a ``very strong vested
interest'' in seeing Russia succeed.
Clinton, in his remarks to reporters, referred obliquely to Yeltsin's
standoff with communist and nationalist lawmakers.
``I think if other political forces try to force the president to
abandon reform in midstream or even reverse it, what I think will happen is
even less money will come into Russia and even more economic hardship will
result,'' Clinton said.
Before taking questions, Yeltsin and Clinton signed two security
agreements. One commits each country to ridding itself of 50 tons of
weapons-grade plutonium from old nuclear warheads; the other calls for
sharing information on missile launch warnings.
They also signed joint statements on biological weapons control and on
the situation in the Kosovo, the Balkan region torn with civil strife.
Yeltsin said the atmosphere in his summit talks was friendly,
notwithstanding disagreements on some security issues that he and Clinton
discussed at length.
``Russia rejects the use of power methods as a matter of principle,'' he
said. ``Conflicts of today have no military solutions, be it in Kosovo or
around Iraq or Afghanistan or others.''
He also reiterated his opposition to what he called ``NATO centrism,''
or the central military role the U.S.-led NATO alliance plays in Europe and
beyond. He added, however, that the two days of discussion had produced a
``greater mutual understanding on these issues.''

********

Russian Business Daily Warns of "Civil War"

MOSCOW, Sept 2 (Reuters)- Russia's main business newspaper,
Kommersant-Daily, said on Wednesday that conflict between President Boris
Yeltsin and the Communist-led parliament could lead to a constitutional
crisis and possible "civil war".
"Zyuganov Ready for War," the paper ran across its front page above a
half-page portrait of Communist leader Gennady Zyuganov, who accused
Yeltsin on Tuesday of being a "crazy drunk" who was pushing Russia "towards
civil war".
The normally sober Kommersant said in its front-page editorial that the
Communists, who dominate the State Duma lower house with their allies, were
ready to reject Yeltsin's candidate for prime minister three times-- a move
that would trigger the chamber's dissolution under the constitution.
It said the Kremlin staff could avoid a showdown by urging Yeltsin to
drop Viktor Chernomyrdin and nominate a more acceptable candidate for
premier-- either upper house speaker Yegor Stroyev or Moscow mayor Yuri
Luzhkov.
"After yesterday's Duma council meeting it has become clear -- the
country has reached the stage where there is a threat of civil war. The
Duma headed by Gennady Zyuganov is ready to start it," Kommersant said.
The Duma overwhelmingly rejected Viktor Chernomyrdin on Monday and
Zyuganov said it would do so a second time in a vote due next Monday and
would do so a third time, too, if Yeltsin renominated the man who was
previously premier for five years.
Yeltsin has already noted that that would leave him no choice but to
dissolve the Duma.
If that happened, Kommersant said, the Communists had broad support to
go ahead with impeachment proceedings against the 67-year-old president,
creating a constitutional crisis, since the constitution also forbids the
dissolution of the Duma by a president who is under investigation for
possible impeachment.
"This clinch could lead to consequences we know from autumn 1993,"
Kommersant said, recalling Yeltsin's bloody October 1993 battle with
supporters of the Soviet-era parliament.
"Today the Left is capable of bringing out many more people on to the
streets...and among them will be many more ringleaders ready to set up a
fiercer stir than in October."
The Kremlin had made a mistake in its negotiations with the Communists
by admitting Yeltsin's weakness in recent days, the paper said. The
president had proved that he reacts defiantly to any threats from
parliament. But his aides might yet persuade Yeltsin to back down and name
a different prime minister.

********