September 1, 1998

This Date's Issues: 2338 2339••

1. Reuters: Russians unimpressed, but Clinton OK just the same.
2. Ray Finch: Investment Opportunities.
3. Milan's Corriere della Sera: Interview with Russian Yabloko
leader Grigoriy Yavlinskiy, "Yavlinskiy: 'West To Blame: It Backed
a Corrupt Regime'"

4. Bruce Bean: Financial Crisis.
5.Komsomolskaya Pravda: Viktor Baranets, "Today the Kremlin Is
Gathering Spetsnaz Veterans."

6. The Guardian (UK): Deaf ears await lesson from Uncle Sam.
Tom Whitehouse reports from a Moscow school where pupils are
prepared to learn the hard way.

7. The Independent (UK): Anne McElvoy, Russia's old hand at the
helm. (Chernomyrdin).

8. Mayak Radio Network: Aleksei Arbatov on Russian-US Summit.
9. Reuters: Security chief rules out force in Russia crisis.]

Russians unimpressed, but Clinton OK just the same
By Peter Graff

MOSCOW, Sept 1 (Reuters) - Two weeks ago it was Mick Jagger. Last week, Ringo
Starr. And this week, Bill Clinton.

In the middle of a spiralling economic crisis that has sent the rouble into
freefall and paralysed the entire political system, Russians can probably be
forgiven if they have grown a bit indifferent to the parade of famous
foreigners in Moscow.

Russia's press, consumed by President Boris Yeltsin's desperate attempts to
obtain parliamentary approval for Acting Prime Minister Viktor Chernomyrdin,
relegated the first summit in nearly 18 months between the two leaders mainly
to the inside pages on Tuesday.

The popular daily Moskovsky Komsomolets put its Tuesday morning story on page
four, calling the summit a meeting of ``unfortunates'' because of both
presidents' political weakness.

Even the English-language Moscow Times ran only a small story, also on page
four, giving the U.S. president considerably less space than a lounge singer
who performed for striking coal miners, and about the same amount as a man who
was rescued by police after falling down a garbage chute.

Nevertheless, when asked, most Russians had only nice words for Clinton, which
is more than could be said for Yeltsin.

``Clinton is a good president. I think he's a lot better than ours,'' said
Oleg, 14, a pupil at Moscow's School Number 19, where Clinton was to speak
later in the day.

Another pupil, Sergei, 16, said it was going to be exciting to meet ``the
president of one of -- acutally the -- most famous country in the world.''

Many Russians believed -- probably incorrectly -- that Clinton is planning to
announce a major new financial aid package during the summit.

``He came. He brought money. He'll rescue Russia. Otherwise there will be a
world crisis. The Russian economy is linked to the world economy. That means
everything will blow apart if they don't give us some cash,'' said Vasily
Ivanovich, a heavily bearded man in his thirties on Moscow's New Arbat street.

``Our president is morally dead. Politically and economically. Sure, he walks
and talks. But up here, he's already lost it,'' he said, pointing to his head.

``Clinton is a good guy. He does well with the girls. That means he's capable
all around.''

Indeed, Russians have reacted generally with mild bemusement to what Clinton
has called his ``inappropriate'' relationship with 21-year-old White House
intern Monica Lewinsky -- known here as ``Monika Levinsky.''

Ultra-nationalist Vladimir Zhirinovsky, who has beat a female deputy on the
floor of parliament, used his face to sell ``Zhirinovskaya Vodka'' and made a
film in which he cavorts with naked women, criticised Clinton in parliament on
Monday.

``We, as individuals with high moral character, would prefer not to meet a
person who still can't sort out his relationship with his secretary,''
Zhirinovsky said. ``In the traditions of Russian society, in such situations
one divorces the old wife and marries the secretary.''

Yulia Yasinskaya, a teacher at School Number 19, said she was not worried that
Clinton's reputation as a womaniser would make him a bad role model for the
school's children.

``They know about Clinton's affair with Monica,'' she said in English. ``But
in Russia it is so far away, so we judge Clinton on everything he does for the
country. I believe there is something good he did.''

Yelena Alexeyeva, a mother of two pupils at the school, agreed.

``If he wants to live that way, let him live however he likes,'' she said.