August 22, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2320  2321

Johnson's Russa List

1. Sydney Morning Herald: Neela Banerjee, In Tver, when the rouble
gets tough, the tough get troubled.

2. RFE/RL: John Varoli, Russia: Consumers Yet To Feel Effects Of
Ruble Devaluation.

3. Segodnya: Yulia Ulyanova, YEARS OF PESSIMISM AWAIT THE COUNTRY.
The government says don't expect anything good from the new budget.

4. Reuters: Chubais reassures investors on Russia crisis.
5. Grzegorz W. Kolodko: Response to Stephen Cohen on Russia's reforms.
6. Moscow Times: Igor Zakharov, BOOKWORM: A Romp Through Moscow's
Bestsellers.

7. Interfax: Russian Poll Indicates 'Possibility' of 'Social Explosion.]

Sydney Morning Herald
August 22, 1998
[for personal use only]
DEVALUATION
In Tver, when the rouble gets tough, the tough get troubled
By NEELA BANERJEE in Tver, Russia

Moscow is not Russia, Russians like to say. But Tver, a town 180 kilometres
west of Moscow where the mills have grown quiet and the fields have turned
fallow, probably is.

And as Nina Sokolova waits at a cash machine in a local bank and calculates
exactly where each kopeck will go, she is no doubt like most Russians.

A nurse and State employee, 58-year-old Mrs Sokolova, has not been paid in
three months. Now she has come to draw on her small rouble savings to feed
her family. For Mrs Sokolova, the Government's move this week to devalue
the rouble is only one more blow.

"The panic may be among those who have money, but among those of us who
don't, what can happen?" she says, with a sad smile. "We're poor now, and
it just means we'll get poorer."

As news of the devaluation sinks in, people seem to be growing more
pessimistic. After their six-year crash course on capitalism, most of those
in Tver understand economics well enough to tell you that the devaluation
of the rouble will only worsen their standard of living, pushing many into
real destitution.

But if such realities would ignite riots elsewhere, in Russia so far there
is widespread resignation and even a certain pride among some people at how
much they have already endured.

"We've been through such inflation in 1991 and 1992, when people's savings
were wiped out," says Olga Vyakina, deputy editor of the TverskayaZhizn
newspaper. "The fact that we lived through it has given us a reservoir of
strength."

A city of half a million, situated between Moscow and St Petersburg, Tver
has lost its young people over the years to the two capitals.

Reforms have brought better clothes, foreign cars and bananas in
wintertime, but have left the 40 per cent of the population over retirement
age without pensions since April.

The old textile mills and the former Soviet Union's largest printing
facilities stand idle. Workers from bankrupt collective farms line the
highways, selling smoked fish as hard as cardboard and buckets of
blueberries for $A7.

Many Russians don't have savings in any currency. But many of those with
roubles to spend were buying dollars, even at the high exchange rates -
until, of course, the banks ran out of dollars.

People do not believe that the Government will be able to hold the rouble
to the upper end of the exchange band at 9.5 roubles to $US1.

"Roubles aren't real money. You can't hold savings in it," says Viktor
Svetlov, the director of the Tver Railcar Works, the area's largest
factory. "It's better to buy now, even at 9 to $US1, rather than wait for
it to hit 15."

The devaluation may be a body-blow to Russia's tottering industrial sector.
Prices on materials and services will go up and, as a result, production
will likely go down.

Foreign investors, always wary of Russia's instability, now have another
reason to stay away - the Government's announcement of a moratorium on
foreign credit payments by Russian businesses.

"Our potential foreign partners believe in us, but we're dependent on the
Government," Mr Svetlov says. "Why would normal people want to put their
money into this market when they have no assurance that they will get it
back?"

For average people, the fear is inflation. It may not be the head-spinning
2,000 per cent rate of 1992. But for people who barely scrape by on 300 to
400 roubles a month ($A74 to $A98) - and there are many in Tver - even a
price rise of 10 to 15 per cent will hit hard.

"People are buying more now than before because they expect prices to go
up," says Valentina Alexandrovna, who sells bras and sweaters at an outdoor
market. "I myself am buying sugar and macaroni. I think it will get worse
and worse with each day. I'm very afraid."

Russia: Consumers Yet To Feel Effects Of Ruble Devaluation
By John Varoli

St. Petersburg, 21 August 1998 (RFE/RL) -- Amid confusion and uncertainty
wrought by the ruble devaluation, life for many Russians has yet to be
effected.

Consumers have not descended on shops to scoop up goods, and there has been
no run on banks. Also, lines at most currency exchange booths remain small.
But beneath this apparent calm there is a creeping feeling of anxiety that
inflation is about to strike.

On Tuesday and Wednesday, after the confusion created by the government's
sudden de facto devaluation of the ruble, many banks in St. Petersburg and
elsewhere in Russia were not exchanging currency.

Jeff Robins, an economist at MFK Renaissance (an investment house) in
Moscow told RFE/RL: "I would not say the situation has stabilized,
consumers can expect to see inflation of about 20 percent soon, and the
fall of ruble is probably not over."

St. Petersburg governor Vladimir Yakovlev said on Wednesday that the city
will do everything possible to discourage price-gouging.

Yakovlev said that the Tax Service and Tax Police will step up checks on
those shops and enterprises which have drastic price increases.

But, so far, most Russians have not been effected by the crisis. The
reason, according to analysts, is that many of them simply do not have much
savings, and those who do already keep most of it in dollars. Ironically,
analysts say that the poorer one is, the less one will probably feel the
effects of the crisis.

"I am poor, have no savings, cannot buy imported goods, and I already own
all that I need---a furnished apartment and a car--- so I am not worried
about the financial crisis," said Vladimir Smirnov, a pensioner.

For now, the brunt of the fallout has been limited to banks and financial
companies, which have suffered great losses and are laying off staff.
Businesses that rely heavily on imports have also been hit, having to buy
in dollars and selling in rubles.

"The stock market and GKO market are dead," said Yevgeni Sidorov, an
analyst and trader at Lenstroimateriali, a leading local brokerage house.
"now everything depends on foreign players to keep the market alive. Only
when they come back will we see a change for the better."

"I am quite worried by the current crisis because I have a small business
that is dependent on imports," said Sergei Fomin, a tattoo artist in St.
Petersburg. "The materials I use must be paid for in dollars. So now I have
to ask clients to pay for my services at a higher exchange rate and not all
can pay."

Valentina Askern, the director of a grocery store in the city center, said
that she would almost certainly not raise its prices because 90 percent of
the food items she sells are Russian-made.

It is estimated that Russia imports between 50 to 60 percent of its
foodstuffs. But, this figure masks the fact that most basic staples are
produced locally.

Still, in the long run devaluation is unlikely to help Russians industries
because they will not be able to raise capital on international markets and
because the confidence of foreign investors in Russia has been undermined,
said Robins.

>From RIA Novosti
Segodnya
August 21, 1998
YEARS OF PESSIMISM AWAIT THE COUNTRY
The government says don't expect anything good from the new budget
By Yulia ULYANOVA

They say one should marry without any great hopes for the
success of the undertaking so that every joy may later be a
surprise. Our "young" government has also lived to see this
folk wisdom by deciding that the next year's budget should be
drawn up based on deeply pessimistic forecasts. Without hoping
for either a reinvigoration of the financial markets or for an
improvement of market conditions in the oil sector. In a word,
proceeding from the premise that things won't be better than
they now are, and that there's not a rouble to be borrowed in
the domestic market or a dollar in the external, excluding only
loans from the IMF and the World Bank. From the same vantage
point the main financial law of the country will be rewritten
for the rest of 1998 as well.
Had there been no "black Monday" the government could even
yesterday have approved the draft 1999 budget at its meeting
and on August 25 submit it to the Duma. This time limit,
prescribed in the conditions for the allocation to Russia of a
second tranche of the IMF's stabilisation credit, the
government had rigidly observed, and by yesterday the first
supertough, primary-proficit budget for the new year was ready.
However the "Monday" turned it into a heap of scrap paper. And
along with the budget - all the perceptions of what structure
our economy is going to have. It is only known that revenue
would be fixed at 376 billion and expenditures at 456 billion.
The rest is currently a "black box."
At yesterday's meeting Yuri Maslyukov, head of Mintorg,
after yet another series of explanations by Sergei Kiriyenko
about default demanded that the budget be rewritten in favour
of industrial development. Promises were vague, if any. For
there is nothing to promise. For the simple reason that it is
not yet clear what exactly has happened in the country or what
will happen next. The government and the Central Bank, by
announcing a default, solved no problems but only blocked a
collapse of the economic system. Now it has to be rebuilt anew.
But before that, it's necessary to understand what sort of
economy it must be. So far, the government hasn't said a word
about that. On the restructuring of GKOs it is expected to save
in expenditures about 80 billion rubles this year, and as a
minimum as much next. This saving is relative - a direct
reduction of state expenditures on debt servicing for one year,
possible only because the government has granted itself a
deferment of payments.
But an economy is made up not only of state expenditures
on debt service alone. It also consists of investors' trust,
the position of the banks, the condition of the production
sector and so on. With all those things it's total uncertainty
so far. The investors and the banks are waiting for a second
"black Monday" when all the terms of GKO restructuring will be
announced: in the phrase of some of them, the main thing now
is, who and by how much will be "thrown down." Including in the
world market.
It is not without meaning that Deutsche Bank and J. P.
Morgan were enlisted as experts in the elaboration of the terms
of GKO restructuring. German banks have invested quite a pretty
sum in our markets; Deutsche Bank, for example, has formed 60%
of its "risk" portfolio from credits to Russian banks and GKOs.
Both banks last December, at the time of yet another series of
Russian financial difficulties, urgently financed us. By the
way, the country still does not know how much money and on what
terms we then borrowed. The authorities forgot to report about
that. Now it will depend on the recommendations produced to
what extent Russia can save face before the world community (it
should be noted, though, that in such cases, even if it
involves a mere valuation of an enterprise's assets,
independent appraisers are invited as experts, not interested
companies). And whether we will have foreign investments at
least after 1999 as, for example, the present "fresh dead
body," the 1999 development budget was almost 100% built
precisely on them - 18 billion roubles out of 19.6 billion
roubles. The bulk of this sum was earmarked precisely for
industry. In the new, pessimistic 1999 budget, which does not
presuppose foreign credits, instead of these figures a
bold-type zero must be drawn.
The entire budgetary planning of the new cabinet - the
1999 budget is part of the much publicised knowhow, the
three-year budget for 1999-2001 - set itself the task of
enhancing investment vigour, maintaining a stable rouble, and
liquidating nonpayments. However only budget deficit cuts
remain on this list after the announcement of default. Both
cheap credits and new interbudgetary relations - all this, just
as many other things, is unpredictable, just as the fate of the
banks. The government has sheltered some of them with the same
90-day moratorium on foreign bank credit repayments, thus
balancing their loss of the GKO market. But far from all the
banks took large credits from the West and they have simply
lost the market without having "credit" reserves. So that bank
losses will be uneven, and few people now understand by how
much.
There are very many other questions to which the
government will have to urgently seek answers. How to protect
from the growth of import prices not only and not so much the
buyer of retail goods, but again the very same industry which
lives on imported components? Will banks be able to conduct
operations with clients' money by order or continue, as they
did yesterday and do today, to limit the clients in their own
funds? What will happen after the end of the moratorium on
banks' credit repayments - will they all start paying at once,
or somebody decide to arrange for itself an individual
moratorium?
An inconceivably difficult task is facing the cabinet: in
just slightly over two weeks (by September 7 in order by
September 21 to send it to the Duma) to write a new budget for
the conditions of an unprecedented general economic dead-end
for us. This will be immeasurably more difficult than to hang
up in the window of the national cash department the
announcement "No money."

Chubais reassures investors on Russia crisis
By Peter Graff

MOSCOW, Aug 21 (Reuters) - Russia's chief foreign debt negotiator and economic
guru Anatoly Chubais fielded tough questions from investors and financial
experts around the world on Friday to reassure them of the country's reform
plans.

In a conference call with foreign analysts carried live on Reuters television
he said Russia would allow some of the country's largest banks to fail.

But he was sure Moscow would meet strict reform targets set by the
International Monetary Fund (IMF) and vowed that details of a debt
restructuring plan to be released on Monday will not discriminate against
foreign investors.

"We need to have a (bank) restructuring...Banks which are insolvent should
become bankrupt and this should be done even under the financial situation we
have now," he said.

A crisis of liquidity at Russian banks was one of the main reasons the
government and central bank on Monday took a range of emergency measures that
included a 90-day moratorium on some debt repayments and a de facto
devaluation of the rouble.

Chubais said individual banks should not be saved if it would hurt the system
as a whole.

"The main priority we have is to keep the whole banking system viable in
Russia...I stress the whole banking system, but not separate banks," he said.

Russia has promised to unveil plans for the restructuring of its short-term
rouble debt on Monday.

Chubais said the conditions of the debt restructuring, which involve a swap of
about $40 billion of short-term T-bills, called GKO's and bonds, called OFZ's,
into longer, lower-yielding paper, would be "extremely tough", but that there
would be, "respect for the principle of equal treatment."

Some Western banks had expressed worries the debt swap would discriminate
against foreign banks after preliminary details of the deal leaked out on
Tuesday.

Chubais warned the government's priority was to ease the strain on its cash-
strapped budget, while taking the equal treatment of foreign and Russian banks
into account.

"If we create an attractive scheme which has the principle of equal treatment,
but will ruin the budget for the next years then I do not think that will
create market confidence," he said.

But despite the market turmoil and worries that parliament would sabotage the
government's proposed reforms, Chubais said he was sure his country could meet
all the targets set by the IMF under a recent bailout deal.

"We are absolutely in a position to demonstrate to the IMF team that we will
do everything we promised according to the targets included in the (credit)
programme," he said.

The IMF agreed to take part in a package of aid to Russia, worth more than $20
billion, provided that Moscow reform the tax system, boost tax collection and
reduce the budget deficit.

The IMF at the end of July released the first $4.2 billion tranche of it's
$11.2 billion share of the loan package. Russia expects to get a further $4.8
billion in mid-September.

Chubais was joined during his question and answer session by Sergei
Aleksashenko, First Deputy Central Bank Chairman, who said Russia is now
running a current account deficit of between 1.5 and two percent of the gross
domestic product.

"We do believe that our measures will help to finance this deficit," he said,
adding IMF and World Bank support would help cover the gap.

Last year, Russia had a current account surplus equal to 0.7 percent of GDP,
but falling prices for the country's main exports, such as oil, have hurt its
balance.

Oil companies may increase oil exports despite a recent pledge to cut crude
and product exports, Chubais said.

"I know there are technical limits to pipelines for oil exports...but I think
we have a real chance first to increase the oil exports and second oil
companies will definitely increase their revenues from oil exports," he said.

He gave no time frame for a possible rise in oil exports, but acknowledged the
recent decision to devalue the rouble helped the oil companies by lowering
their costs.

"Do you think that's bad? I don't think so," he said. "I do believe that using
this kind of support, government must be more aggressive in pressing the oil
companies to be more active in restructuring the company and cutting costs.

"That's the only way which will give an answer for the government in case
companies come to the government again and say why don't you devalue now."

Analysts who participated in the broadcast gave Chubais credit for tackling
tough questions head on. But some analysts said they still had doubts about
where Russia would find the dollars to meet its foreign debt obligations.

"I suspect there are still some doubts as to where the dollar financing comes
from next and it's not possible to give a clean bill of health to the question
of external default," said Richard Gray, of Bank of America in London.

Duncan Webster at Hypo Bank in Munich also had doubts aboutthe balance of
payments.

"There's going to have to be a major turnaround in the current account and
that's going to keep investors very nervous about the prospects for a
significant further rouble devaluation," he said.