July 22, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2277

1. Moscow Times: Sophia Bogatyreva, ESSAY: In Defense of the Cold, Callous
American Way.

2. Gary Krueger : Re: 2275-Gaddy&Ickes/True Structural Change Needed.
3. AP: Russia Military Recruiting Mentally Ill.
4. The Guardian (UK): James Meek, KGB spins its Web even in afterlife.
5. Peter Heinlein: Running.
6. Jamestown Foundation Monitor: RUSSIAN ECONOMY CONTINUES TO STAGNATE.
7. Rossiiskaya Gazeta: RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT READY TO IMPLEMENT ANTI-CRISIS
PROGRAMME.

8. Russky Telegraf: POLICE KNOW WHERE THIEVES ARE. Russian Criminals Have
Strong Patrons in Political Community.

9. Reuters: Police Say Criminals Penetrate Gov't.
10. Reuters: Elite Nuclear Workers Plan Strike.
11. RFE/RL: John Varoli, St Petersburg Joins Buy Russian Movement.
12. AP: Russia Investigating Art Thefts.
13. AP: Oil Firms Criticize Russia-IMF Plan.
14. Moscow Times EDITORIAL: Tax Reform A 3-Way Dilemma.
15. The Electronic Telegraph (UK): RObert Uhlrig, Russians launch new
moon to help
them see the light.

16. Reuters: Poverty Breeds Big Problems for Central Asia.]

*********

Moscow Times
July 22, 1998
ESSAY: In Defense of the Cold, Callous American Way
By Sophia Bogatyreva
Special to The Moscow Times

"They say Americans are terribly hard, is that true?"

"What makes you say that?"

"Well, they say that if a woman were standing on the street crying, no one
would even come up and ask her what's wrong."

These were the kinds of questions I was pestered with upon my return from
the States. After a while, I began to hate this imaginary crying woman. Why
would a grown woman cry on the street? Incidentally, it's hard to picture a
contemporary American woman doing such a thing. But if she were crying on
the street, the last thing she'd want is strangers asking her questions. It
would be difficult to get near her anyway. A slap in the face would be her
most likely response. The moral: Mind your own business.
Americans aren't hard. From my observations, friendliness is practically
their most striking characteristic. It struck us straight away.

It was the coldest part of winter and we had barely moved in when something
happened to our heater. I went to our neighbor, Leslie, with whom we had
not yet been properly acquainted to find out who we should call. She became
concerned and literally forbade me from calling a repairman.

"Today is Saturday. You'll have to pay triple. My husband will be home
soon. I hope he can help us."

Her husband, it turned out, was supposed to return from New York where he
had been for some time. I expressed doubt that after such a long trip he
would be thrilled at the prospect of having to go right to work on a
neighbor's heater.

"He'll be happy to," Leslie proudly assured me.

I couldn't tell how George felt about it. Whether he was happy or not, he
came to see us just as soon as he got home. Unfortunately, he couldn't do
anything about it, as he was unfamiliar with the system. But without
hesitating, he and Leslie went through the entire neighborhood to find
someone familiar with my model. That person happened to have guests at the
time. But the host set down his beer and plate, gave his guests a nod in
departure and set off to help us. After fiddling around for some time, he
found the extinguished pilot light and lit it. And then to our horror he
blew it out again.

"You have to know how to fix it yourselves," he said. "What if I'm not
home next time?"

He spent another 30 minutes instructing us on our heater, having us find
the pilot light and ignite it. Only then did he return to his guests, warm
beer and cold hamburger.

You say hard? They're not hard. They simply do not like to stick their
noses in other people's business.

Americans are always ready to come to one's aid. It's just that their way
of being friendly, among many other things, is very different from ours.
Their friendliness has to be summoned or switched on. Ours, on the other
hand, works on autopilot. Where it's needed, and even where it's not needed.
I once visited some friends in Moscow whom I have known for a long time. I
was treated to a nice dinner and tormented to the depths of my soul for the
entire evening: The whole house was panicked about the possibility of
catching cold. They had the windows sealed and the heat cranked up.
Luckily, a slight draft of fresh air was blowing through a crack in the
window frame. But no! My attentive host mercilessly slammed the window shut
over my head.

Protest was pointless. She was convinced that my health was her problem,
and she would deal with it as she saw fit.
Each one of us has what in Russia is called a "bottom drawer" filled with
important but nonpressing matters for which there is never enough time and
which constantly burden our memory and conscience. All-out attack is the
only way to resolve such matters. I had such a fit right before vacation
once. I was forced to make a sacrifice, to send the family off to the cool
sea and stay home for a week in the hot city. I could get everything done
faster on my own, I thought. With the apartment empty, I could spread the
paperwork out all over the floor where it would be easier to work.

But no.

Seeing that I had remained in Moscow all alone, my friends decided to
"save" me. Every day, someone would come check up on me (which meant that I
had to pick up the papers, make coffee and then, when they left, lay out
the papers once again). In the evenings, there were tickets to the theater,
concerts, movies and invitations to friends' homes. All attempts at
resistance were put down from the very start by their unstated "It's not
good for you to sit at home all alone. We know best."

To display a greater degree of obstinacy would have meant offending
friends. It would have meant unconscionably driving them away, as
everything they were doing was with good intentions and for my own good.
They sincerely believed that passing my time was their problem. The result
was that I accomplished nearly none of what I had planned to do. My
friends, however, were satisfied. After all, they knew what I needed better
than me.

That's where the question arises: Is the empathy for which we are praised
always as selfless as we like to think? In fact, we are quite pleased with
ourselves when pushing our unsolicited services. How wonderful it is to be
a good person in our own eyes. We certainly don't want to be challenged on
the issue of how appropriate it is, whether our charity is needed by anyone
other than ourselves.

There is another side to all of this, one that I believe is more serious.
When we get involved in the affairs of others, we tend to think that
someone else will handle our own.

About 20 years ago, some friends of mine emigrated from the Soviet Union to
the United States, where they lived with some older relatives at first.
They laugh now when they remember how they were constantly hungry during
their first few months in their new country, and how no one would offer
them anything to eat. Their hosts rightly assumed that adults could take
care of themselves: The refrigerator was full, there were plenty of plates
and cups, make what you want. But my poor friends sat starving all day,
every day waiting for everyone to gather for dinner, and ashamed to take
second portions unless they were offered at least twice. But no one ever
offered twice. Trivial? Obviously so, since none of them starved to death.
But such trivial things bear witness to more serious matters. They bear
witness to our infantility, our dependency, our foolishness, or more to the
point, our unwillingness to tackle our own problems. It's easier for us to
sacrifice comfort, to suffer, than to make any effort on our own behalf.
Yet we are all so good at solving others' problems. We are each a master at
giving out so-called "free advice." This is why we are so surprised by
Americans' delicate caution when discussing others' affairs. It's not
hardness. It's respect for privacy -- including your own privacy.
********